PDA

View Full Version : Using no machine to string a racket

bruno hau
05-22-2009, 02:40 PM
Has anyone ever try to string a racket without a stringing machine and only use gym weights? This might be a two person job with one person tensioning by lifting the racket & weights off the ground and the other person clamping the strings with flying clamps. Sounds very doable to me. But I wonder if the racket is able to handle the stress of lifting with both hands, either from top or from bottom.

kopfan
05-22-2009, 02:46 PM
Has anyone ever try to string a racket without a stringing machine and only use gym weights? This might be a two person job with one person tensioning by lifting the racket & weights off the ground and the other person clamping the strings with flying clamps. Sounds very doable to me. But I wonder if the racket is able to handle the stress of lifting with both hands, either from top or from bottom.

You can be the first one.. kudos to you!

eeytennis
05-22-2009, 05:10 PM

I have never heard of that being done. Even if it has been done before I would be willing to bet that the tension was WAY off. How would you keep the racket still when stringing it?

aussie
05-22-2009, 05:13 PM
I've got a tennis playing friend who is a very, very good player and he strings his own racquets by hand. He tells me he uses a door handle to apply tension and his jobs look pretty messy (large tie off knots etc) but his racquets in his hands at least play well. Don't really know how he does it and even though I offer to string for the cost of the string, he's content to do it himself. So no, you don't need a machine to string unless you call a door a machine!!

Nuke
05-22-2009, 06:20 PM
I would think the chances of seriously damaging the racquet would be great. A stringing machine doesn't only pull tension -- the mounting system keeps the frame from collapsing. When you string the mains, and there are no crosses installed yet to counterbalance it, the tension on all those mains wants to pull the racquet shorter, and it's only the machine's mounting system that prevents damage.

tenmirage
05-23-2009, 04:56 AM
i saw a guy in a tennis shop in the philippines stringing racquets by hand about 5 months ago.too bad i did not take pictures.

so i think its not so uncommon.

acehole
05-23-2009, 03:38 PM
people do this kind of stuff all the time. but like others said i would worry about the frame, unless you brace it.

Fedace
05-23-2009, 03:44 PM
I think you can do it if it is in 30-40 lbs range. You could do everything by hand in this case. I know pros that play with 40lbs tension so it can be done.

radigan
05-23-2009, 07:26 PM
A little while back, someone posted an old article from Popular Mechanics or some similar magazine that gave instructions on how to do it. I remember they used a handheld cam device to pull tension against the frame and used awls to jam into the grommet to hold the tension after pulling. (this was on wooden frames by the way)

Nuke
05-26-2009, 05:15 PM
http://www.photostringer.com/images/tennis_lever_01.jpg

MAX PLY
05-26-2009, 07:42 PM
^ seems safer than the method posed by the OP. However, if the OP tries his original posed method, please video and share with us or have your estate do so.:)

dancraig
05-26-2009, 08:09 PM
I have a copy of the USRSA's newsletter "The Stringer's Assistant" from May, 1979. It has full instructions on how to string a racquet by hand. It also contains information about how to splice in a repair section of string.

KOPT
05-26-2009, 08:35 PM
could you scan it and post here?

I have a copy of the USRSA's newsletter "The Stringer's Assistant" from May, 1979. It has full instructions on how to string a racquet by hand. It also contains information about how to splice in a repair section of string.

dancraig
05-27-2009, 12:21 AM

dancraig
05-27-2009, 12:27 AM

kairosntx
05-27-2009, 12:39 AM
When I lived in Egypt in the early 80's I had my racquets strung by a local tennis pro who used a long piece of wood that was octaganal wrapped with cloth in the middle (4-5 inches). The string would be wrapped around the wood and he would twist the piece of wood to create the tension. I can't remember what he used to hold the tension when pulling the string through but the tension held up nicely and I was happy with the tension of the string jobs I got from him. I'd say it was around 50lbs.

dancraig
05-27-2009, 12:46 AM
could you scan it and post here?

I'm having a problem getting it to post correctly. Give me an email and I will send it to you.

origmarm
05-27-2009, 01:33 AM
Thanks for posting that article Nuke, I was going to say I remember my grandfather saying he used to string racquets with two awls and a lever. I don't believe this would work on a graphite racquet though, I think it would crack the frame.

Nuke
05-27-2009, 04:54 AM
^^ Yeah, if you strung a modern, flexible racquet like that, you'd be stringing all the mains with no mounting mechanism to counteract all the tension. I think a lot of racquets would collapse before you got the first cross string on.

Bud
05-27-2009, 06:01 AM
I would think the chances of seriously damaging the racquet would be great. A stringing machine doesn't only pull tension -- the mounting system keeps the frame from collapsing. When you string the mains, and there are no crosses installed yet to counterbalance it, the tension on all those mains wants to pull the racquet shorter, and it's only the machine's mounting system that prevents damage.

^^ Yeah, if you strung a modern, flexible racquet like that, you'd be stringing all the mains with no mounting mechanism to counteract all the tension. I think a lot of racquets would collapse before you got the first cross string on.

Agreed! :)

origmarm
05-27-2009, 06:24 AM
Having read through the little article I do however believe that my grandfather bought as opposed to made his set of implements.

dancraig
05-27-2009, 04:10 PM

diredesire
05-28-2009, 08:03 AM
sure looks like the center two mains are crossed in that retro photo ;)

Bud
05-28-2009, 08:25 AM

Great eyes... they do appear to be crossed.

KOPT
05-28-2009, 08:03 PM
glebmaslov@yahoo.com

I'm having a problem getting it to post correctly. Give me an email and I will send it to you.

dancraig
05-28-2009, 08:20 PM
KOPT
Check your email.

origmarm
06-08-2009, 01:06 AM

Is that actually an illegal pattern or not thinking about it? I don't think so...No idea why you would want to do it but probably ok.

johnqadams
06-08-2009, 01:30 AM
Hey, if you can carve that "tension puller" out, why not a wooden mounting system, too? These are definitely old school methods, though. Why not just buy a cheap table top? Unless you are just nostalgic (or very self-sufficient!). :)