PDA

View Full Version : Feds vs Nadal vs Novak

Defcon
05-22-2009, 01:46 PM
1. Has Fed ever beaten both Nadal and Djoker in the same tournament?
2. Has Nadal ever beaten both Fed and Djoker in the same tournament?
3. Has Djoker every beaten both Fed and Nadal in the same tournament? (I know Nalbandian has. Who else?)

I know #1 is not true, am pretty sure either 2 or 3 must've happened.

Either way, I think in the slams Fed and Nadal raise their game to new levels, so Djoker is not winning a best of 5 against either of these guys. Rafa looks like a lock for the finals (what's new) and I don't think he cares who shows up.

- If Fed does, then its Fed vs Nadal as usual (Fed's fitness is underrated, and he keeps his matches short. Fitness won't be an issue).

- If its Novak, it will be after a duel against Fed which will take a lot out of him. He's prone to exhaustion (and retiring) anyway, so there's no way he goes on to beat Nadal.

All that being said, I'd love to see yet another Fed vs Nadal classic, like Wimby 08 or FO 09. Rafa winning #5 or Fed completing CYGS.

P_Agony
05-22-2009, 01:49 PM
Nadal has beaten both Fed and Novak in the FO.

I think you're wrong about Joker not winning 5 games. He's one of the best clay courters today, and if anyone will make it competitive for Rafa, it's him.

I would not love to see Federer/Nadal in the final. I'm tired of their matches - it's always the same pattern. Plus, Novak is a harder mathup for Nadal than Federer is (except when Fed plays his best, and then he just kills everyone).

akv89
05-22-2009, 01:51 PM
1. Has Fed ever beaten both Nadal and Djoker in the same tournament?
2. Has Nadal ever beaten both Fed and Djoker in the same tournament?
3. Has Djoker every beaten both Fed and Nadal in the same tournament? (I know Nalbandian has. Who else?)

I know #1 is not true, am pretty sure either 2 or 3 must've happened.

Either way, I think in the slams Fed and Nadal raise their game to new levels, so Djoker is not winning a best of 5 against either of these guys. Rafa looks like a lock for the finals (what's new) and I don't think he cares who shows up.

- If Fed does, then its Fed vs Nadal as usual (Fed's fitness is underrated, and he keeps his matches short. Fitness won't be an issue).

- If its Novak, it will be after a duel against Fed which will take a lot out of him. He's prone to exhaustion (and retiring) anyway, so there's no way he goes on to beat Nadal.

All that being said, I'd love to see yet another Fed vs Nadal classic, like Wimby 08 or FO 09. Rafa winning #5 or Fed completing CYGS.

I don't think Federer has ever beaten Djokovic and Nadal in the same tournament. Nadal has beaten both of them numerous times. The last few French Opens, Hamburg 08 are just a couple examples. Djokovic beat Federer and Nadal in his breakout tournament in the Montreal masters in 2007 (he beat Nalbandian, Roddick, Nadal, and Federer).

gj011
05-22-2009, 01:52 PM
Novak beat Nadal and Federer in Montreal 2007.
Nadal beat Djokovic and Federer in RG 2006, 2007 and 2008, maybe there are more cases, not sure.
Federer beat Djokovic and Nadal, not sure if that ever happened, but I might be wrong, before everyone jumps at me. Certainly not since mid 2007 after Novak made it to top5.

EDIT yes forgot Hamburg 2008.

GPG
05-22-2009, 01:53 PM
...unless the outcome is different this time

Defcon
05-22-2009, 01:59 PM
Nadal has beaten both Fed and Novak in the FO.

I think you're wrong about Joker not winning 5 games. He's one of the best clay courters today, and if anyone will make it competitive for Rafa, it's him.

I would not love to see Federer/Nadal in the final. I'm tired of their matches - it's always the same pattern. Plus, Novak is a harder mathup for Nadal than Federer is (except when Fed plays his best, and then he just kills everyone).

I think we all want to see that. Fed in top form against the undisputed champion of clay. I don't think even Fed at the height of his powers is going to kill Nadal, not over 5 sets at RG, but he can certainly win.

I agree that another match like last years would be boring. Hopefully Fed has learnt his lesson and is stronger mentally.

gj011
05-22-2009, 02:01 PM
I think we all want to see that. Fed in top form against the undisputed champion of clay. I don't think even Fed at the height of his powers is going to kill Nadal, not over 5 sets at RG, but he can certainly win.

I agree that another match like last years would be boring. Hopefully Fed has learnt his lesson and is stronger mentally.

Don't speak for everybody please. What you want is not what all want.

Dilettante
05-22-2009, 02:02 PM
I would not love to see Federer/Nadal in the final. I'm tired of their matches - it's always the same pattern.

Some matches are great, some good, a few of them not that good overall (when too one-sided results or whatever). But these two guys have produced some (I'd say many) of the most brilliant tennis moments ever.

Can't get tired of watching them play each other, really.

miyagi
05-22-2009, 02:10 PM
I don't think Federer has ever beaten Djokovic and Nadal in the same tournament. Nadal has beaten both of them numerous times. The last few French Opens, Hamburg 08 are just a couple examples. Djokovic beat Federer and Nadal in his breakout tournament in the Montreal masters in 2007 (he beat Nalbandian, Roddick, Nadal, and Federer).

What he said...I would prefer Nadal vs Djoko I think it might be tougher than Federer.

But I think Rafa will crush everyone.....

Defcon
05-22-2009, 02:10 PM
Don't speak for everybody please. What you want is not what all want.

Fair enough, point taken.

P_Agony
05-22-2009, 02:23 PM

And that exactly what I think will haapen if Fed reaches the final - another match like last year. And today Federer makes even more unforced errors.

Some matches are great, some good, a few of them not that good overall (when too one-sided results or whatever). But these two guys have produced some (I'd say many) of the most brilliant tennis moments ever.

Can't get tired of watching them play each other, really.

There are some good matches, but I don't like Nadal's style of play, so naturally for me the matches are less than spectucular (even the ones Fed wins). There are some matches I simply love - Wimbeldon finals 2007, 2008, TMC 2006, 2007, Dubai 2006, Hamburg 2007, Rome 2006.

I would much rather watch Federer play a guy like Nalbandian - I can never get tired of those two.

Nadal_Freak
05-22-2009, 02:47 PM
The OP is giving Fed way too much credit and not giving Djokovic enough credit. Djokovic hasn't looked tired all clay season. His fitness has improved a lot this clay court season. I expect a Djokovic and Nadal final. It will be a tough 4 setter but Nadal will win his 5th French Open. Vamos!