PDA

View Full Version : Gaudio is back!

drummerboy
05-23-2009, 02:18 AM
I just saw the draw and seen that this psycho is back with a vengeance. Such a great player. My fav player back in the days. His droppers, down the line backhands and his forehand were really great. It's ggod to see him back in Paris and I hope he competes well in the tournament. Welcome back Gaston.

Perseverance
05-23-2009, 02:35 AM
I’m a fan of Gaudio too, I feel Gaudio never got the credit he deserved when he was at his peak, even the few years after his RG victory, he posted some good wins, and also lost to a very good claycourt player in Ferrer at RG, and also pushed Nadal for a while. Yet he was still called a clown by everyone, and not worthy of winning RG. Even though it wasn’t a win at Monte Carlo, it was one of the few challenges I remember Nadal having on clay.

I'm skeptical about his return though. He never really showed much enjoyment for the game even when he was doing well, and showed such frustration as he declined. Yet he is now playing on the challenger tour, and getting a few wildcards here and there for main tour ATP events. I wonder how much longer he will endure it, and if he is genuinely happy playing at that level? Even though I’m not a professional player, I doubt I could have much patience playing at a level that is far from what I was capable of.

_maxi
05-23-2009, 03:07 AM
He won a challenger title a few weeks ago. In the latinoamerican ESPN they made a special of his path to the win of RG in 2004, and he was about to cry everytime, saying things like: "look how I used to play, the things I could do, I can't believe it".. and he looked very emotional. That kind of showed me that he is not gonna be a clown on the court. And also, he has to be at his full level because he is facing Radek Stepanek in the first round.. I hope he can beat him :) though its gonna be hard...

tacou
05-23-2009, 09:15 AM
reminds me of coria vs robredo last year. hopefully gaudio can pull off 2 more sets.