PDA

View Full Version : I can beat anyone at Roland Garros

fedtastic
05-23-2009, 06:35 AM
Federer says he can beat anyone at Roland Garros if he plays good.

http://eurosport.yahoo.com/video/22052009/58/nadal-gears-paris.html

skip to 1:42 to hear it. That's confident talk from Federer considering what happened at the last French Open. Maybe he know something we don't?
Hmm, That's what I like to hear from the champion, VAMOS king Federer!!!

Sovereignty
05-23-2009, 06:41 AM
I rather hear him be confident than say something else. I also agree that if he plays smart and at his top, he has a shot of pulling it off. I personally want to see it just to see the reaction of the tennis world.

R_Federer
05-23-2009, 06:45 AM
Well he can easily beat anyone other Nadal. Nadal will be tough but he has every chance at beating him as well. Lets get this Federer!

danb
05-23-2009, 06:48 AM
Keyword: IF...

fps
05-23-2009, 06:54 AM
he's gonna have to play some serious all-court tennis to do it. i hope he plays well, it'll be good for the sport. his early season wobble post- AO seems over, he's currently cranking up his form.

vtmike
05-23-2009, 06:55 AM
He also said,

"When you play against Rafa the right way, you always get a chance of winning because he lets you play. Kind of guy who mixes aces in each game, you get your chances and but you have to play well & confidently and very strictly as well. Ofcourse its difficult because he moves so much better than a lot of people on clay and he is at an unbelievable level of confidence and hes improved even more over the past few years."

fedtastic
05-23-2009, 07:03 AM
Keyword: IF...

That is the key word and we will see how he executes on the day. His execution on the day is all that matters.

Nadal_Freak
05-23-2009, 07:35 AM
Oh God. Fed boasting about himself again. I guess Nadal is going to have to once again humble Fed. That is if Djokovic doesn't do it first. And Fed is not the king. That is Rafa my friend.

icedevil0289
05-23-2009, 07:44 AM
oh my goodness roger...:rolleyes:

vtmike
05-23-2009, 07:46 AM
Waiting for Veroniquem to jump all over this thread........:D

icedevil0289
05-23-2009, 07:48 AM
Waiting for Veroniquem to jump all over this thread........:D

i can already see it. Something about being a complete idiot, blah blah blah, but I seriously wish fed did not say this.

Jonas
05-23-2009, 07:52 AM
First off:
I don't really understand the whole Federer fans vs. Nadal fans...

If you have seen them both in person, you have seen that both are on another planet when compared to the rest of the tour, and that both are REALLY GOOD guys...

Having said that: How could you not want to see Federer win the French Open?

He's probably the greatest player ever to pick up a racquet and if he wins the French he will most likely be seen as the GOAT by tennis history.

Wouldn't you like to be able to say that you saw Federer win the French??

I always look at it like this: One day, I'll be able to say I saw Sampras/Agassi/Federer and Nadal's whole careers...

I can't say that for Lendl/Borg/Mac etc.
Just my 2 cents

T1000
05-23-2009, 07:55 AM
Wow, what an arrogant p***k. He actually thinks he can beat someone. He can't beat anyone. He is the worst person of all time to ever pick up a racquet. He should not be saying things that arent true. all haill king rafa

maddogz32
05-23-2009, 07:56 AM
federer has the right to be confident, considering he just beat nadal on clay, i believe if he plays as good as he did in madrid, he could give nadal a run for his money. but i still think nadal will embarrass federer again

R_Federer
05-23-2009, 08:01 AM
Having said that: How could you not want to see Federer win the French Open?

He's probably the greatest player ever to pick up a racquet and if he wins the French he will most likely be seen as the GOAT by tennis history.

For sure, that is why I always have wanted him to win the French more than any other Slam.

oneguy20
05-23-2009, 08:07 AM
Well Federer spoke similar words before Madrid and what do you know?
I think if he plays his best, he has a chance to compete with Nadal on clay.
To say that he can beat anyone at RG is a stretch though.

R_Federer
05-23-2009, 08:10 AM
^ Anyone but Nadal though? Yes, considering he has made it to the finals 3 years in a row here!

TheTruth
05-23-2009, 08:23 AM
i can already see it. Something about being a complete idiot, blah blah blah, but I seriously wish fed did not say this.

This epitomizes how hard it must be to be a Fed Fan. Why he won't let his racquet do the talking is beyond me. For years he's been making these statements regarding Nadal, Djokovic, and Murray and more often than not he's been falling flat. I can't understand why he doesn't get it.

There's nothing wrong with believing he can win, he should if he's going to be a competitor, but imo, he's ruining his legacy more by making these bold statements that he can't back up.

stormholloway
05-23-2009, 08:26 AM
He also said,

"When you play against Rafa the right way, you always get a chance of winning because he lets you play. Kind of guy who mixes aces in each game, you get your chances and but you have to play well & confidently and very strictly as well. Ofcourse its difficult because he moves so much better than a lot of people on clay and he is at an unbelievable level of confidence and hes improved even more over the past few years."

He moves better than "a lot of people" on clay? Yeah right. He moves better than everyone on clay, perhaps better than anyone in history.

manny pacquiao P4P king
05-23-2009, 08:36 AM
fed should shut up or someones gonna hurt his feelings and make him cry - that someone being Nadal, when he beats him in the final.

Fed.....its over, your going down.

All-rounder
05-23-2009, 08:40 AM
Well federer did have a win over nadal at madrid so that's boosts his confidence and it seems his ego but you can't fault him for what he's saying

icedevil0289
05-23-2009, 08:43 AM
This epitomizes how hard it must be to be a Fed Fan. Why he won't let his racquet do the talking is beyond me. For years he's been making these statements regarding Nadal, Djokovic, and Murray and more often than not he's been falling flat. I can't understand why he doesn't get it.

There's nothing wrong with believing he can win, he should if he's going to be a competitor, but imo, he's ruining his legacy more by making these bold statements that he can't back up.

Not really, lol. I've always liked when people speak their mind, and I think that's what fed does. I don't think it really ruins his legacy persay. He was able to back it up in madrid, right? I do agree with you that he should let his racket do the talking and at times I want to strangle him, but it's just his personality. You can't expect everyone to be the same and fed is just the type of person who speaks his mind and some times its stupid and sometimes it works out. I don't think he's completely delusional or anything. He did admit that it would be difficult because nadal is amazing on this surface or something to that degree so I do think's aware that it will be tough. I don't know, some people work differently. Some people need to continuously keep themselves confident and keep telling themselves they can do it.

fps
05-23-2009, 08:44 AM
i don't see what he gains from speaking to the press and saying stuff like this. he should put together the body of work that puts him in a position to make it happen. his form's improving, he's an outsider, he should let his results speak for themselves. interviews like this show he's thinking too much about what others think of him and promoting himself.

fedtastic
05-23-2009, 08:49 AM
Fed is not the king. That is Rafa my friend.

You are not welcome in the kindom of King Federer anyways. :).
Federer is the king of those who love his game and there are countless of those.
Nadal is the king of clay while Federer is the kING OF TENNIS. :wink:

Sentinel
05-23-2009, 08:56 AM
This epitomizes how hard it must be to be a Fed Fan. Why he won't let his racquet do the talking is beyond me.

How can you speak about it must be to be a Fed fan ?

Well he JUST DID let his racquet do the talking. But you guys are in denial that madrid ever happened. And some of you folk accuse Fed fans of being in denial !

sh@de
05-23-2009, 09:07 AM

Well he JUST DID let his racquet do the talking. But you guys are in denial that madrid ever happened. And some of you folk accuse Fed fans of being in denial !

Yes! Very good post Sentinel.

LOL, 50 bucks this thread is gonna be like the 'Fed says he is ready to win Madrid' one, where all the *******s are gonna hijack it and wrench it into bits. Flame wars coming, prepare yourselves!

Nadal_Freak
05-23-2009, 09:14 AM
You are not welcome in the kindom of King Federer anyways. :).
Federer is the king of those who love his game and there are countless of those.
Nadal is the king of clay while Federer is the kING OF TENNIS. :wink:
Whatever fits in your make believe world.

fps
05-23-2009, 09:16 AM
Whatever fits in your make believe world.

oh let them do it. the make-believe world where how nadal does in tournaments reflects on you as a person will remain intact.

tacou
05-23-2009, 09:16 AM
It's technically true, though beating Nadal is the longest shot ever, but just because it is true doesn't mean Fed should say it. Especially after last year's final.

I don't think this is arrogant but it is very disrespectful to Nadal.

joeri888
05-23-2009, 09:17 AM
it's not arrogant, it's confident. He doesn't say he will, he believes he can. If he doesn't, he shouldn't go there.. Nothing to really have a conversation about that's already been talked 2 million times.

icedevil0289
05-23-2009, 09:20 AM
It's technically true, though beating Nadal is the longest shot ever, but just because it is true doesn't mean Fed should say it. Especially after last year's final.

how so? He said that it would be difficult and that you would have to play really well and strictly as well.

Sentinel
05-23-2009, 09:23 AM
TheTruth, my apologies for overreacting. Yes, it has been tough as a Fed fan but more to see him lose, and UE, and shank, and basically perform under normal. But NOT tough being a fan due to a statement of confidence which you would expect from MOST professionals.

Granted, there is NO ONE like Rafa in that department -- his understatement and humility. That's his style and only he has it. Most of us Fed fans respect him a lot for that. But this is Fed's style. He speaks what he believes is the what he feels. And what's really wrong with that ?

joeri888
05-23-2009, 09:25 AM
TheTruth, my apologies for overreacting. Yes, it has been tough as a Fed fan but more to see him lose, and UE, and shank, and basically perform under normal. But NOT tough being a fan due to a statement of confidence which you would expect from MOST professionals.

Granted, there is NO ONE like Rafa in that department -- his understatement and humility. That's his style and only he has it. Most of us Fed fans respect him a lot for that. But this is Fed's style. He speaks what he believes is the what he feels. And what's really wrong with that ?

I actually agree very much.. Last weekend was the first time since the US Open (or maybe Del Potro at AO) I felt good about his tennis again.. It's not that I'm not supportive if things go wrong, but.. as fluent as his game looks as its on, so effortless it looks as well when things aren't going his way..

icedevil0289
05-23-2009, 09:26 AM

100% agree. Great post!

P_Agony
05-23-2009, 09:29 AM
oh my goodness roger...:rolleyes:

What did Federer say that was so wrong?

He praised Rafa, praised him even more, and more, and then he said if he plays well he can beat anyone. What's so wrong in him believing in himself?

icedevil0289
05-23-2009, 09:31 AM
What did Federer say that was so wrong?

He praised Rafa, praised him even more, and more, and then he said if he plays well he can beat anyone. What's so wrong in him believing in himself?

nothing wrong with believing in himself, but it just seems like he's getting carried away with that madrid win, but maybe not. I know he praised rafa and I even mentioned it in response to to thetruth's post, but I still wish he didn't say it.

P_Agony
05-23-2009, 09:35 AM
nothing wrong with believing in himself, but it just seems like he's getting carried away with that madrid win, but maybe not. I know he praised rafa and I even mentioned it in response to to thetruth's post, but I still wish he didn't say it.

Many times I think Federer should shut his mouth. This is not one of those times.

He said a similar thing right before Madrid, and guess what? He won the thing. It has been the first time in ages when he talked the talk but also walked the walk.

He said that if he plays well, he can win, which is true. I still don't understand why you wish he didn't say it. I heard nothing wrong from Roger this time.

vtmike
05-23-2009, 09:36 AM

I think he said something like "Rafa will not take any damage from Madrid going into the French Open". You really think Fed is not intelligent enough to realize that winning in RG is going to be much more difficult than winning in Madrid?

P_Agony
05-23-2009, 09:37 AM

Not everything is about Nadal!

Federer said if he plays well he can beat anybody. Last year he got crushed, but he wasn't playing very well either.

Federer was disrespectful to Nadal? How? By saying how great he is? How improved? How fast? How he moves so well?

You guys are unbelievable.

icedevil0289
05-23-2009, 09:40 AM
Many times I think Federer should shut his mouth. This is not one of those times.

He said a similar thing right before Madrid, and guess what? He won the thing. It has been the first time in ages when he talked the talk but also walked the walk.

He said that if he plays well, he can win, which is true. I still don't understand why you wish he didn't say it. I heard nothing wrong from Roger this time.

I defended him when he said that he was ready to win madrid and many other times, but in this instance I wish he would let his racket do the talking. I never said it was wrong or arrogant or whatever. I remember last year he said something similar and well he got crushed in the finals. Hey, you know that I would be extremely happy if fed did well and even won this entire thing by defeating rafa.

ah perhaps I jumped to conclusions here. It's just when it comes to RG and federer, I become very pessimistic. I still have nightmares about last year's final so whenever I see fed say that he can beat anyone if he plays well, I'm just like "oh roger, remember last year" and ofcourse I admit roger was certainly not playing well, but I always flash back to the final. Its great to see roger confident, but hopefully he can bring it on the courts.

icedevil0289
05-23-2009, 09:41 AM
I think he said something like "Rafa will not take any damage from Madrid going into the French Open". You really think Fed is not intelligent enough to realize that winning in RG is going to be much more difficult than winning in Madrid?

Nope of course not. I think and hope roger knows that it will be extremely difficult and I hope he knows that he will have to play so much better than he did in madrid to have a chance.

bruce38
05-23-2009, 09:48 AM
For those of you who are familiar with American Idol judges Paula Abdul and Simon Cowell, it provides a good analogy between Rafa's and Fed's statements. Paula blathers on and on about each contestant with empty praise and says nothing of meaning or value to any of them. The contestant know that, the audience knows that, which is why none of what she says is taken into account when voting. It's meaningless drivel. Conversely, Simon Cowell is frank, to the point and completely honest. The whole point of the show is to wait for Simon's appraisal of the performance. The contestant's all listen and take his suggestions into consideration and the audience more often than not listens to what he says. It is meaningful, he knows what he is talking about. It is incisive and constructive criticism. Those audience members who see Simon's comments as arrogant are essentially uneducated idiots who have no concept of how the world really works. Rafa=Paula Abdul, Fed=Simon Cowell.

The really dumb ones here won't even understand the analogy, but that's ok, it wasn't meant for them. :)

joeri888
05-23-2009, 10:03 AM
For those of you who are familiar with American Idol judges Paula Abdul and Simon Cowell, it provides a good analogy between Rafa's and Fed's statements. Paula blathers on and on about each contestant with empty praise and says nothing of meaning or value to any of them. The contestant know that, the audience knows that, which is why none of what she says is taken into account when voting. It's meaningless drivel. Conversely, Simon Cowell is frank, to the point and completely honest. The whole point of the show is to wait for Simon's appraisal of the performance. The contestant's all listen and take his suggestions into consideration and the audience more often than not listens to what he says. It is meaningful, he knows what he is talking about. It is incisive and constructive criticism. Those audience members who see Simon's comments as arrogant are essentially uneducated idiots who have no concept of how the world really works. Rafa=Paula Abdul, Fed=Simon Cowell.

The really dumb ones here won't even understand the analogy, but that's ok, it wasn't meant for them. :)The real dumb ones won't understand just like the smart ones won't.

R_Federer
05-23-2009, 10:09 AM

The really dumb ones here won't even understand the analogy, but that's ok, it wasn't meant for them. :)

lol I completely agree with the Idol judges...though not sure about Rafa being Paula and Fed being Simon but gotta give you an A+ for proving your point.

Mick
05-23-2009, 10:16 AM
What, you guys don't believe the future GOAT can beat anyone if he plays his A game ? :D

Docalex007
05-23-2009, 10:22 AM

If you had half a brain you'd understand that Federer says if he plays well he CAN beat anyone.

Hello? If he plays WELL. with WELL and CAN being the key words here. If he plays well he no doubt can beat any player in the world. I think most people agree with that assessment also. And when he says he "can" beat any player he's not saying he WILL. He's saying he has the opportunity. Whether he takes it or not that's the question. If he starts the FO and loses by playing poorly... then that doesn't go against what he said now is it?

checkmilu
05-23-2009, 10:28 AM
Alright, guys, lets enjoy the games, not the words.

BTW, where can we watch the matchs live online??? They don't cover it in Australia where TVs flooded with deformed football ball (team boxing LOL). Thanks a lot

bolo
05-23-2009, 10:37 AM
Sure he can beat nadal, if you can call a 1 in 10 chance of winning a beating. :)

samster
05-23-2009, 10:39 AM
another pointless thread. time to go bbq!

iriraz
05-23-2009, 10:45 AM
How stupid can those guy be?They say at the end of the video that Nadal has a bye in the first round.lol.He plays against a brazilian qualifier so he has to be on court and play a bit

JeMar
05-23-2009, 10:47 AM

You gotta stop giving in so easily. What else is he going to say? Do you seriously want him to go out there and say that there's no way he's going to win the tournament?

Part of what makes athletes as successful as the upper echelon of professional tennis is that belief in yourself, that unwavering confidence that if you go out there and perform your best, there's always a chance you can win. People here are already giving Nadal the trophy even though he hasn't played a single point yet. This is sickening and it's obvious that not many here have ever played a sport for more than "just fun."

In the arrogance spectrum, where one end is Nadal's obvious and pathetic sandbagging ("No, I think he is the best in history, no? I do not care I own him up and down the court two out of every three matches we play, no?" (obviously made up quote) and the other end is Djokovic and his "I was kicking his *** until I retired down to sets to love! FOR SERIOUS! Why are you guys laughing? Is there something on my face? Why does it smell like egg?" (again made up, but pretty much what he said), Federer definitely falls in the middle.

If I were Federer, I would not go into an interview and in the words of Andy Roddick, "Kick my own *** for half an hour." Stop the sensitive bullcrap and realize this is a competitive sport and that's how confidence manifests itself in most players, and it's not arrogant.

By the way, this wasn't totally directed at you.

bruce38
05-23-2009, 10:53 AM
You gotta stop giving in so easily. What else is he going to say? Do you seriously want him to go out there and say that there's no way he's going to win the tournament?

Part of what makes athletes as successful as the upper echelon of professional tennis is that belief in yourself, that unwavering confidence that if you go out there and perform your best, there's always a chance you can win. People here are already giving Nadal the trophy even though he hasn't played a single point yet. This is sickening and it's obvious that not many here have ever played a sport for more than "just fun."

In the arrogance spectrum, where one end is Nadal's obvious and pathetic sandbagging ("No, I think he is the best in history, no? I do not care I own him up and down the court two out of every three matches we play, no?" (obviously made up quote) and the other end is Djokovic and his "I was kicking his *** until I retired down to sets to love! FOR SERIOUS! Why are you guys laughing? Is there something on my face? Why does it smell like egg?" (again made up, but pretty much what he said), Federer definitely falls in the middle.

If I were Federer, I would not go into an interview and in the words of Andy Roddick, "Kick my own *** for half an hour." Stop the sensitive bullcrap and realize this is a competitive sport and that's how confidence manifests itself in most players, and it's not arrogant.

By the way, this wasn't totally directed at you.

Finally, someone who gets it. Well put. What Nadal does by his false praise is actually condescend.

Nadal_Freak
05-23-2009, 10:57 AM
Finally, someone who gets it. Well put. What Nadal does by his false praise is actually condescend.
It's not false praise. He respects all opponents. They're here for a reason. They are world class athletes. Nothing comes easy. Now stop with the Nadal hate.

bolo
05-23-2009, 10:59 AM
It's not false praise. He respects all opponents. They're here for a reason. They are world class athletes. Nothing comes easy. Now stop with the Nadal hate.

good post.

vamos,

bruce38
05-23-2009, 11:02 AM

I don't hate Nadal at all. I like him. I think he's just been taught the wrong way to deal with public comments. And yes these are indeed world class athletes with "destroy" on their minds on the court. It is this attitude which is at odds with what is said by Nadal off the court. There must be consistency in what goes on, on the court and how it is described. This is lacking from Nadal, which I hope he will develop over time.

bolo
05-23-2009, 11:06 AM
I don't hate Nadal at all. I like him. I think he's just been taught the wrong way to deal with public comments. And yes these are indeed world class athletes with "destroy" on their minds on the court. It is this attitude which is at odds with what is said by Nadal off the court. There must be consistency in what goes on, on the court and how it is described. This is lacking from Nadal, which I hope he will develop over time.

lol.

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines."

Don't hold your breath. :)

Nadal_Freak
05-23-2009, 11:09 AM
On the contrary. More pro players need to follow Nadal's humbleness. Arrogance and bitterness does not look good on video. It's alright to play with a swagger but saying I'm the best, or I should've won if it wasn't for the lighting just looks bad.

Gorecki
05-23-2009, 11:10 AM
On the contrary. More pro players need to follow Nadal's humbleness. Arrogance and bitterness does not look good on video. It's alright to play with a swagger but saying I'm the best, or I should've won if it wasn't for the lighting just looks bad.

in term of tennis that seems to be your standard... as oposite to looking good on court like those of us who actually play...

bolo
05-23-2009, 11:11 AM
Arrogance and bitterness does not look good on video.

lol. :) 10 char.

bruce38
05-23-2009, 11:11 AM
lol.

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines."

Don't hold your breath. :)

You can't quote something without referencing it. One must always question the psychological motive that drives even someone like Emerson to make such a statement. Something lacking in his life, to be sure.

Nadal_Freak
05-23-2009, 11:12 AM
in term of tennis that seems to be your standard... as oposite to looking good on court like those of us who actually play...
Uh you gotta play with a swagger. Confidence is big in tennis. If you lose it, bad things tend to happen. Like I said, everyone has arrogance. It's just annoying hearing about it in interviews.

bruce38
05-23-2009, 11:13 AM

Read my previous post on those who think what Fed says is arrogant. Small mind can't read between the lines or even worse, the lines themselves.

Gorecki
05-23-2009, 11:14 AM
Uh you gotta play with a swagger. Confidence is big in tennis. If you lose it, bad things tend to happen. Like I said, everyone has arrogance. It's just annoying hearing about it in interviews.

yes we know how you believe that his humbleness is legit...

i believe in santa...

to each is own!

Nadal_Freak
05-23-2009, 11:15 AM
Read my previous post on those who think what Fed says is arrogant. Small mind can't read between the lines or even worse, the lines themselves.
I would like you to try to find a way to make it a humble statement. Why do people have to defend Fed's comments all the time? He is not a humble player at all. He doesn't try to hide it either. It's just annoying hearing I am great all the time.

bruce38
05-23-2009, 11:15 AM

It's not annoying if you have the presence of mind to realize it is not arrogant at all. Perhaps a dictionary might help?:confused:

bruce38
05-23-2009, 11:17 AM
I would like you to try to find a way to make it a humble statement. Why do people have to defend Fed's comments all the time? He is not a humble player at all. He doesn't try to hide it either. It's just annoying hearing I am great all the time.

Humbleness is fine, as long as it is bathed in honesty. And why be so against hearing the truth? He may well become the GOAT. Seems quite consistent to me.

Nadal_Freak
05-23-2009, 11:17 AM
It's not annoying if you have the presence of mind to realize it is not arrogant at all. Perhaps a dictionary might help?:confused:
I guess you haven't followed Fed's comments for the last 4 to 5 years. He is consistently putting himself on a pedestal. Yet people dare to say he is classy. Maybe snobby is more of better word to describe it.

tennisplaya
05-23-2009, 11:18 AM
Fed can only beat Nadal with his hand bag.

bolo
05-23-2009, 11:19 AM
Fed can only beat Nadal with his hand bag.

lol. 10 char. :)

bruce38
05-23-2009, 11:21 AM
I guess you haven't followed Fed's comments for the last 4 to 5 years. He is consistently putting himself on a pedestal. Yet people dare to say he is classy. Maybe snobby is more of better word to describe it.

I have followed his comments. They represent his mind's thoughts. Most refreshing things I have heard from a public figure almost ever. The truth! Finally for once! It is so rare. But you can go on loving your lies. It's just a different way of life I suppose. To each his own.

GPG
05-23-2009, 11:22 AM
If he wouldn't say that after beating Nadal and being ranked N°2... why bother to go to the tournament if he already knows or tells everybody that he'll not win?

bolo
05-23-2009, 11:24 AM

Obviously you and bruce see things very differently.

Ultimately, fed's ego well might have played a role in nadal catching up to fed. so quickly. So let's just sit back and enjoy the results. :)

JeMar
05-23-2009, 11:28 AM

Yeah, it's sure crazy how much the rest of the tour hates him for being so snobby, huh?

Oh wait...

http://tenniselbowroom.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/federer-atp-stefan-edberg-sportsmanship-award-apr09.jpg

Give it up, armchair jock.

Nadal_Freak
05-23-2009, 11:30 AM
Obviously you and bruce see things very differently.

Ultimately, fed's ego well might have played a role in nadal catching up to fed. so quickly. So let's just sit back and enjoy the results. :)
So true. I think Fed did inspire Nadal more with his comments. That's why Nadal is usually so sharp when he sees Fed on the other side. :D

tacou
05-23-2009, 11:39 AM
Not everything is about Nadal!

Federer said if he plays well he can beat anybody. Last year he got crushed, but he wasn't playing very well either.

Federer was disrespectful to Nadal? How? By saying how great he is? How improved? How fast? How he moves so well?

You guys are unbelievable.

I'm not unbelievable you're just jumping to conclusions.
Like I said, this isn't about what Fed said, because what he said is true, but more about why he said it.

He just wont his first tourney since Basel and is about to play the slam he was humiliated in last year. Why even imply he can beat Nadal? Despite what you say, this IS about Nadal because there is no way to win the French without beating him and beating ANYONE implies the world #1.

I just think Fed should be quiet and let the next 2 weeks speak for themselves.

Again, I don't think it was a bad comment by Roger, I just don't think it had to be made at all.

tacou
05-23-2009, 11:41 AM
how so? He said that it would be difficult and that you would have to play really well and strictly as well.

disrespectful is a little bit harsh, I suppose. I'm just comparing the statement with the last match Roger played at the French Open. Specifically, the last 2 sets where he won only a single game.

Roger can definitely beat Nadal at FO, as he can beat anyone anywhere, but in this situation he needs to accept, in my opinion, that Nadal is the overwhelming favorite and if he thinks he can beat Nadal he should not say it, he should just do it.

TheTruth
05-23-2009, 11:50 AM
Not really, lol. I've always liked when people speak their mind, and I think that's what fed does. I don't think it really ruins his legacy persay. He was able to back it up in madrid, right? I do agree with you that he should let his racket do the talking and at times I want to strangle him, but it's just his personality. You can't expect everyone to be the same and fed is just the type of person who speaks his mind and some times its stupid and sometimes it works out. I don't think he's completely delusional or anything. He did admit that it would be difficult because nadal is amazing on this surface or something to that degree so I do think's aware that it will be tough. I don't know, some people work differently. Some people need to continuously keep themselves confident and keep telling themselves they can do it.

Yeah, maybe you're right, people are wired differently. And while I can understand his need to convince himself, the repercussions behind his words are often used against him.

Have you read some of the snide remarks many of the writers are saying? Eventually, if he doesn't deliver there will be tomes upon tomes of his words to be remembered for history.

The media is cruel. Why give them ammunition?

bolo
05-23-2009, 11:53 AM
So true. I think Fed did inspire Nadal more with his comments. That's why Nadal is usually so sharp when he sees Fed on the other side. :D

+ fed's game has plateaued for a while, very little new in the last 2-3 years imo.

Do you think if nadal sees a rival in the rearview mirror his game is going to remain stagnant? You and I know from everythng that he has said that he is going to figure out all possible ways to beat that new guy. Actually you can tell from fed's comments that he also does quite a bit of scouting of younger players. Yet it's just very difficult to say what federer has changed in his game since 2006 to keep nadal at bay on grass and hard courts.

TheTruth
05-23-2009, 11:59 AM

Him finally winning a match over Nadal on clay, after Nadal won three tournaments in a row isn't that impressive to me.

Especially as there are now some Fed Fans saying even if Fed beats Novak he won't have enough for Nadal in the final. What? How?

How could he be tired after a grand slam when he has a day off, and Nadal can't be tired playing three weeks in a row?

It seems some Fed Fans wish he would curtail some of his words too. He should.

icedevil0289
05-23-2009, 12:03 PM
Yeah, maybe you're right, people are wired differently. And while I can understand his need to convince himself, the repercussions behind his words are often used against him.

Have you read some of the snide remarks many of the writers are saying? Eventually, if he doesn't deliver there will be tomes upon tomes of his words to be remembered for history.

The media is cruel. Why give them ammunition?

ah yes the media can be quite cruel. I like that he does not give sugar coated answers just to please the media and everyone, but I do agree that perhaps he should tone it down at times.

TheTruth
05-23-2009, 12:11 PM

Wow! How nice of you.

But here's what I'm saying. I've seen a number of articles where the writer has been a bit disrespectful towards Fed for the claims he's made. Now Federer has always said such things, but the media acted like it was ok. Now that he's lost a few matches they're writing stuff like Nadal has the best chance of winning the grand slam, Federer may not conquer the red dirt, etc. Where Federer fails is opening himself up to such people, imo.

I don't either scenario, because people forget that these guys are human beings.

I personally don't get any satisfaction out of seeing anyone get dogged out. Not even Federer.

tangerine
05-23-2009, 12:17 PM
Sounds like typical European arrogance to me. http://i43.tinypic.com/2e17out.jpg

TheTruth
05-23-2009, 12:18 PM

Great analogy.

The only thing is Simon isn't judging himself. If he went on about himself as a producer and pitted himself against other producers in the music industry, the stench would rise.

Still as far as American Idol I agree with you and think Simon's the best. As far as Paula, you have to read between the lines a little bit. When she truly likes the performance she gushes about the singer, when she doesn't she gushes about fashion and how good they look.

TheTruth
05-23-2009, 12:22 PM
If you had half a brain you'd understand that Federer says if he plays well he CAN beat anyone.

Hello? If he plays WELL. with WELL and CAN being the key words here. If he plays well he no doubt can beat any player in the world. I think most people agree with that assessment also. And when he says he "can" beat any player he's not saying he WILL. He's saying he has the opportunity. Whether he takes it or not that's the question. If he starts the FO and loses by playing poorly... then that doesn't go against what he said now is it?

I have more than a half a brain, thank you very much. I never said anything about whether he could or couldn't. The whole point of my post was it's better to prove it than saying it.

I don't know who will win RG 2009, and I've never said Rafa will win, Fed won't win, or Djokovic won't raise the trophy, or even someone else we haven't foreseen. It's the media onslaught that will come in Fed's direction if he doesn't make good on his words. That's all I was saying.

thejoe
05-23-2009, 12:32 PM
I have more than a half a brain, thank you very much. I never said anything about whether he could or couldn't. The whole point of my post was it's better to prove it than saying it.

I don't know who will win RG 2009, and I've never said Rafa will win, Fed won't win, or Djokovic won't raise the trophy, or even someone else we haven't foreseen. It's the media onslaught that will come in Fed's direction if he doesn't make good on his words. That's all I was saying.

I understand what you are saying, but I don't think he has in any way said he is going to win the tournament. If he doesn't win RG (lets face it, he won't) the media won't get on his back for it. He said he thought he could win Madrid. He did, but would the media have gotten on his back if he hadn't? I don't think so.

grafselesfan
05-23-2009, 12:33 PM
Federer is downright annoying with his need to keep running his mouth off, funnily enough even doing it during his slumping periods. That is one thing I appreciate about Nadal. He lays low and lets his racquet do the talking. Federer should spend more time on the practice court and in the gym.

TheTruth
05-23-2009, 12:39 PM
I understand what you are saying, but I don't think he has in any way said he is going to win the tournament. If he doesn't win RG (lets face it, he won't) the media won't get on his back for it. He said he thought he could win Madrid. He did, but would the media have gotten on his back if he hadn't? I don't think so.

True, he didn't. I just hope we get a decent final, no matter who's in it without people wagging their fingers in each other's faces over whatever the result will be.

Mick
05-23-2009, 12:41 PM
this is how djokovic phrased it:

“Well, look, certainly Rafa wants to win it again and again and again,” said fourth-seeded Novak Djokovic, a French Open semifinalist the last two years. “But certainly there is always motivation, even though he won it already four times. But who knows? I mean, there is always hope and belief from my side — and I think Roger and all the players in the top—that they can surprise him.”

miyagi
05-23-2009, 12:41 PM
I look at it like this if Sampras played his best could he win RG......Hmmmm probably?

But could he actually win? No! Why not? He said it himself that whenever he went to France there was always a little extra tension, a little extra pressure on him to win and maybe that was a contributing factor in him not winning?

Does Fed have the potential to win RG? Yes....Will he ever win it? Who knows! But if I had to answer I would say no and I can give a list of reasons why not!

BUT what he said is probably right and I dont think it is arrogant or disrespectful for him to say it, it's just Feds character.

thejoe
05-23-2009, 12:42 PM
True, he didn't. I just hope we get a decent final, no matter who's in it without people wagging their fingers in each other's faces over whatever the result will be.

I think that to be honest, Djokovic and Federer can only stretch Nadal to 4 sets at their best, and if they are knocking the crap out of each other in the semi-finals, the final might be quicker than last year. I obviously want Federer to win, but if he is going to lose, I hope he loses quickly, so that Djokovic and Nadal can give us the best possible final.

tudwell
05-23-2009, 12:44 PM
Sounds like typical European arrogance to me. http://i43.tinypic.com/2e17out.jpg

Nadal's European, too.

bruce38
05-23-2009, 12:58 PM
Great analogy.

The only thing is Simon isn't judging himself. If he went on about himself as a producer and pitted himself against other producers in the music industry, the stench would rise.

Still as far as American Idol I agree with you and think Simon's the best. As far as Paula, you have to read between the lines a little bit. When she truly likes the performance she gushes about the singer, when she doesn't she gushes about fashion and how good they look.

Yeah but even if Simon was judging himself he would be brutally honest. In fact he has done so on many talk shows. He's very consistent which is respectable. In a documentary about him he did in fact say how great he is, and frankly he is absolutely right. Why be afraid of the truth and saying it. It is what it is. Humbleness, while sometimes genuine, is for the most part false, and this is what I dislike about it. Again, I don't think Nadal is doing it on purpose, this is just how he was taught. Some people like that, to me it's fake and everything against what he is on the court - a bulldozer. I'll take the blunt statement of facts and even arrogance (because it is their honest beliefs) over false humility any day.

About Paula, you're absolutely right, when she does not gush (i.e. did not think it was that good) she skirts the issues and effectively condescends. It's quite annoying and I'm sure none of the contestants pay any attention to anything she has to say even though they would say the opposite to the media about how useful Paula's advice is. They lie :). This type of false face is rampant around all public events including sports. It's quite sad.

P_Agony
05-23-2009, 01:04 PM
I defended him when he said that he was ready to win madrid and many other times, but in this instance I wish he would let his racket do the talking. I never said it was wrong or arrogant or whatever. I remember last year he said something similar and well he got crushed in the finals. Hey, you know that I would be extremely happy if fed did well and even won this entire thing by defeating rafa.

ah perhaps I jumped to conclusions here. It's just when it comes to RG and federer, I become very pessimistic. I still have nightmares about last year's final so whenever I see fed say that he can beat anyone if he plays well, I'm just like "oh roger, remember last year" and ofcourse I admit roger was certainly not playing well, but I always flash back to the final. Its great to see roger confident, but hopefully he can bring it on the courts.

I think he remembers last year's final well. But he probably also remembers the Wimbly final and AO final, which were very close matches. Last year Federer played like crap the whole tourny. He losts sets he shouldn't have lost against Monfils and Gonzales. Rafa was showing perfect form at the time, so the one-sided crushing was in a way quite predctable. I didn't think Roger would only win 4 games, but I did think he was going to lose in 3, rather easy, sets.

bruce38
05-23-2009, 01:05 PM

But what you're missing is that Fed probably doesn't give a rat's *** about the media onslaught. He lives his life, whilst the media, columnists and others live their life by analyzing his. How pathetic. Thus, saying exactly what you think as Fed does is EXACTLY what should be done. This is living life! Saying things you don't really believe, like "he is great, no?" or "I try my best" is just pandering to the public, which in fact the public finds boring.

TheTruth
05-23-2009, 01:25 PM
But what you're missing is that Fed probably doesn't give a rat's *** about the media onslaught. He lives his life, whilst the media, columnists and others live their life by analyzing his. How pathetic. Thus, saying exactly what you think as Fed does is EXACTLY what should be done. This is living life! Saying things you don't really believe, like "he is great, no?" or "I try my best" is just pandering to the public, which in fact the public finds boring.

Ah, but you can't speak for the public. Many of us find Fed's "honesty" quite uncalled for and annoying. To each his own, but to me speaking beforehand is braggadocian in nature and serves absolutely no purpose at all. Especially if you fall flat.

Maybe Fed doesn't give a care, but I doubt it. When a person really believes he's the best, they don't have to remind others. It's innate and doesn't need to be shared with anybody who'll listen.

A difference of opinion, I suppose, but I'll take humble every time.

TheTruth
05-23-2009, 01:27 PM
Yeah but even if Simon was judging himself he would be brutally honest. In fact he has done so on many talk shows. He's very consistent which is respectable. In a documentary about him he did in fact say how great he is, and frankly he is absolutely right. Why be afraid of the truth and saying it. It is what it is. Humbleness, while sometimes genuine, is for the most part false, and this is what I dislike about it. Again, I don't think Nadal is doing it on purpose, this is just how he was taught. Some people like that, to me it's fake and everything against what he is on the court - a bulldozer. I'll take the blunt statement of facts and even arrogance (because it is their honest beliefs) over false humility any day.

About Paula, you're absolutely right, when she does not gush (i.e. did not think it was that good) she skirts the issues and effectively condescends. It's quite annoying and I'm sure none of the contestants pay any attention to anything she has to say even though they would say the opposite to the media about how useful Paula's advice is. They lie :). This type of false face is rampant around all public events including sports. It's quite sad.

But you have to admit there are many who despise Simon's candor (not me). So, it's the same for Fed. His "truths" turn some people off. It's the way of the world. No one is liked by all.

Mada
05-23-2009, 01:31 PM
Federer is downright annoying with his need to keep running his mouth off, funnily enough even doing it during his slumping periods. That is one thing I appreciate about Nadal. He lays low and lets his racquet do the talking. Federer should spend more time on the practice court and in the gym.

Wonderful insight--you should become a tennis coach.

joeri888
05-23-2009, 01:32 PM
But you have to admit there are many who despise Simon's candor (not me). So, it's the same for Fed. His "truths" turn some people off. It's the way of the world. No one is liked by all.

Exactly.. If everyone would realise that at this forum, it would be a much better place. Stop judging everybody and every player. They all have their character, and you can support who you want.. What's most important and what should be most important is the tennis though. Everyone who's ever made it to the top 500 in the world has earned by deep respect cause you need a lot of talent and training to even get there.. let alone make the top 4.

TheTruth
05-23-2009, 01:39 PM
Exactly.. If everyone would realise that at this forum, it would be a much better place. Stop judging everybody and every player. They all have their character, and you can support who you want.. What's most important and what should be most important is the tennis though. Everyone who's ever made it to the top 500 in the world has earned by deep respect cause you need a lot of talent and training to even get there.. let alone make the top 4.

Agreed. One day we'll look back on this and realize we were able to witness firsthand one of the greatest rivalries ever. Water bottles, man purses, (not to say I've never been goaded to make some silly remarks on here) pants adjusting, bad pressers, etc. need to be silenced. Let's talk tennis!

The-Champ
05-23-2009, 02:05 PM
Fed can say whatever he wants. Let's see who gets the title at the end of the tournament.

It's great to see him with confidence. Better than saying: "I will not beat Rafa even if I play my A-game".

bruce38
05-23-2009, 02:22 PM

But who cares whether you despise him for it or not?? The truth is the truth! Just because you hate cancer does not remove its existence. Sure it turns people off and some won't even want to know they have it. This is sad.

bruce38
05-23-2009, 02:28 PM
Ah, but you can't speak for the public. Many of us find Fed's "honesty" quite uncalled for and annoying. To each his own, but to me speaking beforehand is braggadocian in nature and serves absolutely no purpose at all. Especially if you fall flat.

Maybe Fed doesn't give a care, but I doubt it. When a person really believes he's the best, they don't have to remind others. It's innate and doesn't need to be shared with anybody who'll listen.

A difference of opinion, I suppose, but I'll take humble every time.

When I see people saying that they see Fed's matter of factness annoying, then I question more their character than Fed's. He is saying what he thinks. My goodness, I can't imagine anything more right than that. Pure to the core. Moreover, Fed is not reminding anyone about his greatness, his opinions and thoughts are asked for. He does not offer them, people want to know what he thinks...including you. I don't think he wants to serve any purpose by what he says, he is asked a question and he answers truthfully....simple as that. Nothing more need be read into it. I would actually say it takes courage to say these things and take the risk of falling flat as you put it. To many it would cause anguish. Saying what Nadal says is the easy and safe way out and offers no insight whatsoever into his character or the mental dynamics of a competitive athlete at his pinnacle. What is the point of even asking him anything? We already know what he is going to say. Let's hope that changes in the future.

GameSampras
05-23-2009, 02:39 PM
Fed shouldnt say such outlandish things. He should just shut his mouth and not say a word instead of saying he can beat anyone. BEcause that makes him a liar. hes lost to Nadal how many times now at RG? 4-5 times in as many years? LOL. Its proven he cant beat ANYONE at RG.

So shut up and play and quit talking so nonsensical Fed.

Of course he is an egomaniac so.... Typical Fed I guess. Hes too good to even get a coach. Hes "above that."

GameSampras
05-23-2009, 02:43 PM
You would figure the humbling Nadal gave the crybaby Fed at the AO would be enough.. It appears Fed needs to be pistol whipped on the court again by Nadal or Djoker so he beams back down into reality pretty quick

bolo
Fed shouldnt say such outlandish things. He should just shut his mouth and not say a word instead of saying he can beat anyone. BEcause that makes him a liar. hes lost to Nadal how many times now at RG? 4-5 times in as many years? LOL. Its proven he cant beat ANYONE at RG.

So shut up and play and quit talking so nonsensical Fed that you havent proved you can do.

But how can you argue with federer's feelings? They are so strong, powerful and righteous. :)

Conquistador

So shut up and play and quit talking so nonsensical Fed that you havent proved you can do.

Federer has beaten Nadal on clay. It doesnt matter if its in Paris or Buenos Aires. Federer can beat anyone on clay. Federer has conqurered Nadal on clay. Federer gets focus wins in France. Its no different than on some clay court in Los Angeles or something, only the sets.

AHSEagles2012
05-23-2009, 02:44 PM
duh even if the #600 in the world can beat anyone if hes on his game

gj011
05-23-2009, 02:45 PM
Federer is arrogant, as usual.

bolo
05-23-2009, 02:45 PM
duh even if the #600 in the world can beat anyone if hes on his game

lol. :) so you are saying fed's statement is meaningless, almost cheap talk based on little to no evidence?

GameSampras
05-23-2009, 02:46 PM
Federer has beaten Nadal on clay. It doesnt matter if its in Paris or Buenos Aires. Federer can beat anyone on clay. Federer has conqurered Nadal on clay. Federer gets focus wins in France. Its no different than on some clay court in Los Angeles or something, only the sets.

Fed CANT beat Nadal at RG. He was bageled and has been Nadal's beyotch for 4-5 years in a row there and received a good humbling by Nadal on grass and hards. SO to say he can beat anyone at RG is ludicrous. Hell he prolly wont even get through Djoker. Much less get to nadal. Its good to have confidence, but the idiot should keep these kinds of nonsensical things to himself instead of talk arrogant gibber gabber to the media. It makes him even more dislikeable and a complete ***** ( if that is possible)

Ripster
05-23-2009, 02:47 PM
I don't know how some of you tennis fans could even listen to some UFC fighters in interviews. They gloat and trash their opponents to no end and that's par for the course.

Federer is making an honest claim that he himself believes and I think many of us believe as well. Nadal is certainly the overwhelming favourite but Federer has the ability when he's playing well to knock him off. That can't be said for 99% of the rest of the field.

We've just never seen it when he plays Rafa at Roland Garros. This isn't gloating or even being arrogant. A little cockiness and confidence never hurts.

Federer's cat
05-23-2009, 02:47 PM
If Federer doesn't win a French open already I'm going to throw babies.

bolo
05-23-2009, 02:49 PM
Fed CANT beat Nadal at RG. He was bageled and has been Nadal's beyotch for 4-5 years in a row there. SO to say he can beat anyone at RG is ludicrous. Hell he prolly wont even get through Djoker. Much less get to nadal. Its good to have confidence, but the idiot should keep these kinds of nonsensical things to himself instead of talk arrogant gibber gabber to the media. Its make him even more dislikeable ( if that is possible)

speak for yourself. Bruce loves all these touchy-feely pronouncements from fed.

Conquistador
05-23-2009, 02:51 PM
Fed CANT beat Nadal at RG. He was bageled and has been Nadal's beyotch for 4-5 years in a row there and received a good humbling by Nadal on grass and hards. SO to say he can beat anyone at RG is ludicrous. Hell he prolly wont even get through Djoker. Much less get to nadal. Its good to have confidence, but the idiot should keep these kinds of nonsensical things to himself instead of talk arrogant gibber gabber to the media. It makes him even more dislikeable and a complete ***** ( if that is possible)

Show some respect to the greatest of all time. Federer has the decency to honor past champions-he cried because he let them down. Federer wont let that happen at roland garros. Joining "The Fraternity" to win all of the Slams is something Federer must do. Roger is going to come out with integrity and will honor his elders by winning Roland Garros. Show Roger the respect he has duitfully earned in his pursuit of greatness. His level of sportsmanship is unparalleled. Show him respect because he is every parents dream.

GameSampras
05-23-2009, 02:55 PM
Show some respect to the greatest of all time. Federer has the decency to honor past champions-he cried because he let them down. Federer wont let that happen at roland garros. Joining "The Fraternity" to win all of the Slams is something Federer must do. Roger is going to come out with integrity and will honor his elders by winning Roland Garros. Show Roger the respect he has duitfully earned in his pursuit of greatness. His level of sportsmanship is unparalleled. Show him respect because he is every parents dream.

LOL.... Yea Ill make sure I'll flush twice when I think about Fed.

The guy isnt worth respect considering the amount of arrogant nonsense he spews... Such as this crap. And he certainly isnt the GOAT. Far from it.

You can respect Fed's game but as far as the person, you CANT!! Hes trash.. Rich trash, but arrogant trash nonetheless

Nadal_Freak
05-23-2009, 02:56 PM

The guy isnt worth respect considering the amount of arrogant nonsense he spews... Such as this crap. And he certainly isnt the GOAT. Far from it
For once I agree with you. Though I feel I'm talking to another fanboy in the process. lol

bruce38
05-23-2009, 03:01 PM
Frankly, I would say Nadal has to be concerned. Not at RG, that's for sure. He's got the upper hand there and proven it. But for other surfaces, Fed has not played well at all the past year and a half. He just lobs back all of Nadal's serves. Quite frustrating for the viewer. And he has faced many better serves than Nadal's that for sure. Conversely, Nadal has played out of his mind phenomenal tennis for the last year and a half. An unstoppable force. And STILL Fed takes him to 5 sets on other surfaces. Nadal should be concerned.

Aldi Patron
05-23-2009, 03:02 PM
Random basketball, football, baseball, soccer, lacrosse or basket weaving player: "If we play our best, we can beat anyone."

Why is the tennis world so pussified that someone like Federer could say this and people would cry about it?

Ripster
05-23-2009, 03:05 PM

You're a Sampras fan AND a Nadal fan. Gosh that's weird...anyway...

I wouldn't really say Fed has been Nadal's beyotch besides maybe the final last year. The other matches in Paris were all tight battles. No need for name calling either....

Nadal_Freak
05-23-2009, 03:07 PM
You're a Sampras fan AND a Nadal fan. Gosh that's weird...anyway...

I wouldn't really say Fed has been Nadal's beyotch besides maybe the final last year. The other matches in Paris were all tight battles. No need for name calling either....
He's not a Nadal fan. Just a Fed hater. He shows his dislike for Nadal sometimes.

drakulie
05-23-2009, 03:11 PM
Fed isn't going to beat Nadal this year, because neither one will be in the finals.

GameSampras
05-23-2009, 03:11 PM
He's not a Nadal fan. Just a Fed hater. He shows his dislike for Nadal sometimes.

No Nadal is the exact opposite. I never badmouth Nadal the person as he is prolly the most humble champ we have had in quite a long time. (well other than his nonsensical No? Ramblings) but his decisions and his game. Hes a great great player. But he makes the game look harder instead of easier. He needs to tweak his game to the point where he can play the type of schedule he is playing and not totally destroy himself physically for it to where he needs to take time off the end of the year. He should be playing the ENTIRE YEAR and maintain his winning ways not the first half of the year and working on his serve and learning to win free points off his serve and attack more. Sometime I think he gets into a habit of being the defensive backboard. When in fact he has enough talent to where he doesnt need to do that. He needs some pointers from Pete IMO. He has the talent to be dominant the entire year if he can tweak his game more, be more careful with his scheduling etc. He shouldnt be burned out after Wimbeldon is finished every year. HE should be dominant the whole year

drakulie
05-23-2009, 03:13 PM
And he certainly isnt the GOAT. Far from it.

For you:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/tennis/2001/wimbledon/news/2001/07/02/wimbledon_monday_ap/

OddJack
Lucky *** Nadal, bye in first round and then easiest draw on earth, ridiculous

bolo
Random basketball, football, baseball, soccer, lacrosse or basket weaving player: "If we play our best, we can beat anyone."

Why is the tennis world so pussified that someone like Federer could say this and people would cry about it?

I think you have the wrong idea. It's just that after years of hearing it from fed., with respect to clay, it just sounds goofy. It's more like oh jeez there he goes again.

Ofcourse then there is someone like nadal, who thinks fed. is the best in history and is willing to go up to fed's parents after defeating fed. at wimbledon; tell them it was a great honor to play their son.

GameSampras
05-23-2009, 03:15 PM
Lucky *** Nadal, bye in first round and then easiest draw on earth, ridiculous

Yea Fed's draw is one of the toughest ever. Blake Roddick and Berdych are just monsters on clay:confused:

BullDogTennis
05-23-2009, 03:16 PM
Well he can easily beat anyone other Nadal. Nadal will be tough but he has every chance at beating him as well. Lets get this Federer!

of course nadal can beat anyone if hes not tired...

GameSampras
05-23-2009, 03:16 PM
For you:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/tennis/2001/wimbledon/news/2001/07/02/wimbledon_monday_ap/

Was Sampras ever owned to the point that Nadal has owned Fed? Hell no

drakulie
05-23-2009, 03:18 PM

A post that shows your knowledge of Sampras>>> which is zero. Keep studying those youtube clips.

tennis-hero
05-23-2009, 03:21 PM

The guy isnt worth respect considering the amount of arrogant nonsense he spews... Such as this crap. And he certainly isnt the GOAT. Far from it.

You can respect Fed's game but as far as the person, you CANT!! Hes trash.. Rich trash, but arrogant trash nonetheless

For once I agree with you. Though I feel I'm talking to another fanboy in the process. lol

just like the eternal question

buttered toast always lands on the buttered side, and a cat always lands on its feet, so what if you taped the toast on the cats back

a tear in space and time!

and what happens what gamesampras and Nadalfreak agree?

a tear in space and time, (which nadal freak will explain has everything to do with velocity and topspin)

tennis-hero
05-23-2009, 03:23 PM
Yea Fed's draw is one of the toughest ever. Blake Roddick and Berdych are just monsters on clay:confused:

show some respect to the current world number 2 on clay ;)

drakulie
05-23-2009, 03:25 PM

Lets look at these titans nadal has to play:

Davydenko lost to Melzer (R32) Italy, Blake (semis) Portugal, Roddick (R16) Spain, Junguiera (r32) Austria.

Ferrer lost to Monaco (R32) in Madrid, Hernandez (R16) Estoril, and Mathieu (R64) Rome.

Wawrinka lost to Lost to Djokovic (Feds side of draw) in Monte Carlo, Stepanek (R16) Spain, DelPotro (R16) Italy and again in Madrid.

Verdasco's lost to Joker (Fed's side of draw), Gonzo :roll: and Nadal (twice).

Aldi Patron
05-23-2009, 03:25 PM
I think you have the wrong idea. It's just that after years of hearing it from fed., with respect to clay, it just sounds goofy. It's more like oh jeez there he goes again.

Ofcourse then there is someone like nadal, who thinks fed. is the best in history and is willing to go up to fed's parents after defeating fed. at wimbledon; tell them it was a great honor to play their son.

It doesn't sound goofy for an athlete to say if he plays his best, he can win. I mean, really?

JoshDragon
05-23-2009, 03:26 PM

Why is Pete Sampras's name even in this thread?! Is he coming back out of retirement to lose at the French Open.

Roger Federer = Pete Sampras slayer.

tacou
05-23-2009, 04:04 PM

that is garbage, and I say that with least offence possible. Juan Carlos Ferrero beat Nadal on clay last year, do you think he could beat him at the FO?

As Federer fans claim constantly, namely w/ the Murray argument, victories at lower level tourneys are not the same as GS victories.

IvanAndreevich
05-23-2009, 04:09 PM
that is garbage, and I say that with least offence possible. Juan Carlos Ferrero beat Nadal on clay last year, do you think he could beat him at the FO?

As Federer fans claim constantly, namely w/ the Murray argument, victories at lower level tourneys are not the same as GS victories.

Of course. He has a racquet and hits tennis balls over the net into the court. Therefore, he can beat Nadal. Care to argue that?

miyagi
05-23-2009, 04:18 PM
No Nadal is the exact opposite. I never badmouth Nadal the person as he is prolly the most humble champ we have had in quite a long time. (well other than his nonsensical No? Ramblings) but his decisions and his game. Hes a great great player. But he makes the game look harder instead of easier. He needs to tweak his game to the point where he can play the type of schedule he is playing and not totally destroy himself physically for it to where he needs to take time off the end of the year. He should be playing the ENTIRE YEAR and maintain his winning ways not the first half of the year and working on his serve and learning to win free points off his serve and attack more. Sometime I think he gets into a habit of being the defensive backboard. When in fact he has enough talent to where he doesnt need to do that. He needs some pointers from Pete IMO. He has the talent to be dominant the entire year if he can tweak his game more, be more careful with his scheduling etc. He shouldnt be burned out after Wimbeldon is finished every year. HE should be dominant the whole year

you like the word nonsensical today dont you! Care to borrow a theasaurus?! Anyway if you had travelled or come into contact with anyone who's first language wasn't English then you would understand why Nadal says no after a sentance!

It is a common habit of spanish speakers because they use something similar in their language and they literally translate it to English! I wonder how many mistakes you would make when trying to construct a sentance in Spanish!

Conquistador
05-23-2009, 05:10 PM
Theres a great possibility that David Ferrer can beat Nadal. Ferrer is one of those guys that if hes playing hot he can ascend to the top 4 in the world. When hes not--he can reach lows. Remember David Ferrer was a number 4 seed at last years US OPEN--

IvanAndreevich
05-23-2009, 05:45 PM
Theres a great possibility that David Ferrer can beat Nadal. Ferrer is one of those guys that if hes playing hot he can ascend to the top 4 in the world. When hes not--he can reach lows. Remember David Ferrer was a number 4 seed at last years US OPEN--
Not last year's. '07 probably.

tacou
05-23-2009, 08:33 PM
Of course. He has a racquet and hits tennis balls over the net into the court. Therefore, he can beat Nadal. Care to argue that?

haha no. your argument is sound.

imalil2gangsta4u
05-23-2009, 08:37 PM
If he plays good, it will be tight.

mandy01
05-24-2009, 12:25 AM
delete post

mandy01
05-24-2009, 12:30 AM
There's nothing wrong with believing he can win, he should if he's going to be a competitor, but imo, he's ruining his legacy more by making these bold statements that he can't back up. Firt bolded part -LOLed.Second bolded part- You're talking about Roger Federer right? The guy who won 13 slams right?What does he not get?
He dosent have to follow Uncle Toni and Rafi's philosophies.He lives by his own
And whats this with you guys-He cant answer a simple question honestly.?Did he say he WILL win the French.
God...its amazing how Nadal fans put everything Fed does or says under the definition of arrogance.This is what annoys me.
I've said before I do not always agree with what he says and although I love his candor some may not.But what was the need to jump now?

mandy01
05-24-2009, 12:45 AM

So shut up and play and quit talking so nonsensical Fed.

Of course he is an egomaniac so.... Typical Fed I guess. Hes too good to even get a coach. Hes "above that."

Fed said he CAN beat anyone...not he WILL beat anyone.
ROFL...I'd like to see you pick up a racquet and get down on the pro tour yourself ...the 'pearls of wisdom' you shower :lol:

tennisplaya
05-24-2009, 12:58 AM
Fed said he CAN beat anyone...not he WILL beat anyone.
ROFL...I'd like to see you pick up a racquet and get down on the pro tour yourself ...the 'pearls of wisdom' you shower :lol:

But he can't beat everyone at Roland Garros.Until he proves it he has to keep saying that he can't beat everyone at Roland Garros. He can say that he likes his chances but he cannot say that HE CAN beat everyone at Roland Garros. Do you see the difference.

mandy01
05-24-2009, 01:19 AM
delete post

mandy01
05-24-2009, 01:20 AM
But he can't beat everyone at Roland Garros.Until he proves it he has to keep saying that he can't beat everyone at Roland Garros. He can say that he likes his chances but he cannot say that HE CAN beat everyone at Roland Garros. Do you see the difference.Yes,I got your point.But maybe he spoke in the sense of him having the game to do it .
And lets say using your logic that he put it wrongly.Still its got nothing to do with arrogance.
Also,when he spoke of Rafa-He didnt just say he can beat him.He said he's going to have his chances but he has to play extremely well if he has to capitalize on those.So he made the distinction there.

tennisplaya
05-24-2009, 02:01 AM
Hello gj011...

Still using your second alias I see?

auslexjapan or chris in japan or whatever your name is:

http://loudounlady.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/pot-kettle-black.jpg

tennisplaya
05-24-2009, 02:03 AM
Yes,I got your point.But maybe he spoke in the sense of him having the game to do it .
And lets say using your logic that he put it wrongly.Still its got nothing to do with arrogance.
Also,when he spoke of Rafa-He didnt just say he can beat him.He said he's going to have his chances but he has to play extremely well if he has to capitalize on those.So he made the distinction there.

Ok As long as we have that straight that Federer can't beat everyone at Roland Garros. ;)

Docalex007
05-24-2009, 06:00 AM

Didn't Federer say he was ready to win Madrid before the tournament even started? And look what happened.

This is part of Federer's self-motivation and way of pumping himself up before a tournament. It appears to work for Fed. Champions have always needed to talk similar talk to get themselves hyped up and remind themselves who they are.

Docalex007
05-24-2009, 06:01 AM
Ok As long as we have that straight that Federer can't beat everyone at Roland Garros. ;)

But he CAN? Where are you getting that from... that he can't?