PDA

View Full Version : Lendl forehand very much like Federer forehand...

Gasquetrules
05-23-2009, 07:31 AM
I was watching the '84 French final last night and was struck by the technical similarities between the Lendl "bolo" forehand and the ultra-modern attacking whip forehand that Federer has used to dominate tennis. Also, one also sees similar technique on the forehand from Djokovic and Verdasco, the other two big forehands in the game today.

The key to unleashing the power and pace of this shot is opening the chest/shoulders before the shot and whipping the arm through after this initial rotation from the upper body. Lendl did the very same thing with his bolo forehand. It was the thing that allowed him to "crack" the shot, just as Federer cracks his forehands.

About the only real difference in the Lendl and Fed strokes is that Lendl seems to drop his racquet head further below the level of the ball before the strike. And Lendl probably does not use a totally open stance so often the way Fed and the other current players do. A more closed stance is probably what gives it the "bolo" look rather than the whip look of Federer. Watch Lendl, Fed, Verdasco and Djokovic. They all take the racquet back very much alike. The wrist is not so firm as in a normal forehand. The chest opens and the arm cracks through much like a whip.

When playing a safe rally forehand, Djokovic often reverts to the safer windshield wiper stroke (that Borg perfected) and that came to dominate clay-court tennis during the late 90s and that is still used by many players today. Robredo's forehand comes to mind: solid and reliable, but lacks killer sting. Same for JC Ferrero and David Ferrer.

But the great killer forehands of today are pretty much variations of the great Lendl forehand, the shot he used to dominate the game for a decade.

In summation, there are two ways to hit a forehand in today's modern game. Borg is the innovator of the basic winshieldwiper topspin rally shot, and Lendl is the innovator of the killer forehand whip shot.

Benhur
05-23-2009, 01:56 PM
I was watching the '84 French final last night and was struck by the technical similarities between the Lendl "bolo" forehand and the ultra-modern attacking whip forehand that Federer has used to dominate tennis. Also, one also sees similar technique on the forehand from Djokovic and Verdasco, the other two big forehands in the game today.

The key to unleashing the power and pace of this shot is opening the chest/shoulders before the shot and whipping the arm through after this initial rotation from the upper body. Lendl did the very same thing with his bolo forehand. It was the thing that allowed him to "crack" the shot, just as Federer cracks his forehands.

About the only real difference in the Lendl and Fed strokes is that Lendl seems to drop his racquet head further below the level of the ball before the strike. And Lendl probably does not use a totally open stance so often the way Fed and the other current players do. A more closed stance is probably what gives it the "bolo" look rather than the whip look of Federer. Watch Lendl, Fed, Verdasco and Djokovic. They all take the racquet back very much alike. The wrist is not so firm as in a normal forehand. The chest opens and the arm cracks through much like a whip.

When playing a safe rally forehand, Djokovic often reverts to the safer windshield wiper stroke (that Borg perfected) and that came to dominate clay-court tennis during the late 90s and that is still used by many players today. Robredo's forehand comes to mind: solid and reliable, but lacks killer sting. Same for JC Ferrero and David Ferrer.

But the great killer forehands of today are pretty much variations of the great Lendl forehand, the shot he used to dominate the game for a decade.

In summation, there are two ways to hit a forehand in today's modern game. Borg is the innovator of the basic winshieldwiper topspin rally shot, and Lendl is the innovator of the killer forehand whip shot.

I agree. I always felt there are many similarities between Federer's strokes and Lendl's, especially the forehand.

plasma
05-24-2009, 06:18 AM
lendls forehand was totally unique and original. Feddered uses a modified classical stroke....what are you smoking?????

Gasquetrules
05-27-2009, 04:55 PM
Basically, both have a whip action which gives them their stunning put-away power.

I agree that the "bolo" Lendl forehand looks a bit different than the present-day variant of the whip forehand now so common; but I think this may have something to do with the weight and balance of Lendl's racquet. It's size and balance are more like a wooden racquet than today's graphite frames.

I've still got several of the old Yonex aluminum frames I played with long ago, and I can immitate the Lendl bolo forehand easily with them... perhaps because the Yonex has a small head, long handle and weighs 13-plus ounces.

Datacipher
05-28-2009, 05:07 AM
lendls forehand was totally unique and original. Feddered uses a modified classical stroke....what are you smoking?????

It's just hacks trying to "analyze" something they don't understand at all. Here's a few clues:

1.There is ONLY ONE WAY TO HIT A BALL AND PRODUCE THE SAME TOPSPIN SHOT

2.All humans have a great deal of anatomical and physiological similarity.

3.All great athletes tend to use most of the same basic components to produce an efficient stroke

4.Lendl and Federer both produced similar topspin forehands with a lot of pace/racquet speed

5.In most fundamental ways, their forehands are similar as are almost all topspin forehands of the open era

6.In many of the small things distinctions by which we judge pros (because the basics are almost always the same), they were quite different

7.You don't have a clue what you're talking about.

I will note that their grips are similar. Their arm positions varied, their backswings varied, their footwork varied between shots....ugh...

d-quik
07-21-2009, 02:35 PM
one has a straight arm, the other is double bend. not "very much" like federer at all