PDA

View Full Version : How far will Ernests Gulbis go in RG this year?

oneguy20
05-23-2009, 11:58 AM
This guy made it to the 1/4 finals last year at the FO and gave Roddick a huge scare at the US Open last year. I was hoping he'll breakout this year, but honestly 09 so far has been nothing short of terrible for him.

Do you think he'll reproduce a similar result this year at RG?

jamesblakefan#1
05-23-2009, 12:02 PM
He hasn't been playing well as of late. He did get a good win over almagro in Madrid. IDK. I think he'll beat Querrey, but after that who knows. He's got to do some work , ala Verdasco, to take his career to the next level, and not just rely on his talent.

Feņa14
05-23-2009, 12:02 PM
I don't think so. It would be a nice place for him to kick start his year but I don't see it happening.

Breaker
05-23-2009, 12:20 PM
Querrey is solid on clay, it'll be very hard for Gulbis to beat him.

shadows
05-23-2009, 12:21 PM
round 2 tops, i think querrey may well knock him out in the first though

Mada
05-23-2009, 12:46 PM
Gulbis is a very hard-hitter. He is not suited to the slow clay of RG. I would hope to see him have a decent run at the likes of USO instead.

oneguy20
05-23-2009, 01:04 PM
Gulbis is a very hard-hitter. He is not suited to the slow clay of RG. I would hope to see him have a decent run at the likes of USO instead.

Then how do you explain how he made it to the 1/4 finals last year?

Mada
05-23-2009, 01:13 PM
Then how do you explain how he made it to the 1/4 finals last year?

So what if he made it to the quarterfinals? Certains draws can give people cakewalks to the QF, then it gets difficult. Have you ever seen the man play? He is not suited to slow surfaces.

rfprse
05-23-2009, 01:31 PM
Probably to the 3rd round. Not sure he would defeat Verdasco.

P_Agony
05-23-2009, 01:35 PM
Gulbis has a huge talent, but nothing to back that up so far. He did give Djokovic a tough match last year at RG, but that's about the only memorable thing he did. He won't get passed Verdasco. Verdasco knows he needs to win so he can bow down to his king once more.

Gugafan
05-23-2009, 01:41 PM
So what if he made it to the quarterfinals? Certains draws can give people cakewalks to the QF, then it gets difficult. Have you ever seen the man play? He is not suited to slow surfaces.

He played some great tennis against Djokovic in the quarters last year. You dont lose to Djokovic in three tight sets (7-5,7-6,7-5) if your not suited to clay...Dangerous floater in the draw this year.

gj011
05-23-2009, 01:43 PM
He is not going past 3rd round and Verdasco.

RCizzle65
05-23-2009, 01:48 PM
I'd love this kid to go far, but I doubt he is even getting past Querrey this year

oneguy20
05-23-2009, 01:51 PM

Edit: French Open and Roland Garros are not the same thing.

Ummm? Yes it's the same thing. Roland Garros was a French aviator for whom it was named after.

tacou
05-23-2009, 02:12 PM
sadly i see a first or 2nd round exit followed by a quiet 2yrs from Gulbis.

I still think he has tremendous potential but he hasn't shown the slightest sign of tightening up his game.

If Sam serves well Ernests leaves France Sunday night and loses quite a bit of points.

Shaolin
05-23-2009, 02:50 PM

Edit: French Open and Roland Garros are not the same thing.

LOL, where do you people come from? French Open and Roland Garros are exactly the same thing. Also, Gulbis plays great on clay. The ball sits up giving him time to crush his groundstrokes.

Mada
05-23-2009, 04:18 PM
Ummm? Yes it's the same thing. Roland Garros was a French aviator for whom it was named after.

So you attack the only non-credible part of my post and think it makes the rest of your statements true? Good job.

oneguy20
05-23-2009, 05:22 PM
So you attack the only non-credible part of my post and think it makes the rest of your statements true? Good job.

I'm not attacking you. I'm just saying RG and the FO mean the same thing.
Jeez, hate people like you who perceive anything as possible criticism.

Mada
05-23-2009, 05:36 PM
I'm not attacking you. I'm just saying RG and the FO mean the same thing.
Jeez, hate people like you who perceive anything as possible criticism.

So this isn't a personal attack either?

Ripster
05-23-2009, 05:42 PM
I hope he goes deep like last year but sadly I think he'll lose his 1st round match to Querrey.

Serendipitous
05-23-2009, 07:04 PM
I hope he does well, but he has a difficult draw.....on the other hand, any draw is difficult when a player isn't seeded. :(

Bundey
05-23-2009, 07:17 PM
So this isn't a personal attack either?

Dude, stfu. Oneguy20 owned you then you try to wiggle your way out by not responding to the issue at hand and saying he is attacking you. Admit it. You fail!

Bundey
05-23-2009, 07:19 PM
To address the OP I'd say he gets past Querry in 4 and then loses to Almagro.

Mada
05-23-2009, 07:44 PM
Dude, stfu. Oneguy20 owned you then you try to wiggle your way out by not responding to the issue at hand and saying he is attacking you. Admit it. You fail!

What is the issue at hand that I did not respond to? I admit I had a bit of a "brain fart", but I don't see where I was the one who strayed off-topic.

You should calm down.

oneguy20
05-23-2009, 07:47 PM
What is the issue at hand that I did not respond to? I admit I had a bit of a "brain fart", but I don't see where I was the one who strayed off-topic.

You should calm down.

I didn't mean to attack you at all. When you said RG does not mean the same thing as FO, I simply wanted to correct you just like I would correct anyone else's mistakes.

Mada
05-23-2009, 07:50 PM
I didn't mean to attack you at all. When you said RG does not mean the same thing as FO, I simply wanted to correct you just like I would correct anyone else's mistakes.

Then I apologize. I do not know what went through my head as I typed that out, but oh well--I deserve criticism for saying something like that.

Have a good day.

vtmike
05-23-2009, 08:01 PM
I really hope this guy does well too...very exciting talent! but looking at his form I have to agree with the majority...He probably won't do as well as he did last year...

Bundey
05-23-2009, 08:47 PM

You should calm down.

You're ignoring the issue, which is that you're a pansy who prefers apple juice to orange juice.

Mada
05-24-2009, 03:53 AM
You're ignoring the issue, which is that you're a pansy who prefers apple juice to orange juice.

Take your trolling elsewhere.

Cesc Fabregas
05-24-2009, 03:56 AM
This guy is ridiculously overhyped on here he's just a very poor man's Safin/Djokovic.

jman
05-24-2009, 03:59 AM
It's a shame, very talented and exciting player to watch Guilbus is. Hope he picks up his form during Wimbledon and US Open.

TennisPassion5
05-24-2009, 01:04 PM
Very good win for him against Sam, who took a set off of Nadal in Davis Cup action last year. The clay is extremely fast, which definitely suits his power game well. Nadal beat ?Almagro 1, 1, and 1 last year, so I think Gulbis can pull it off. I'll be rooting for him.

Cyan
05-24-2009, 01:05 PM

Cyan
05-24-2009, 01:08 PM
He could surprise and reach QF like last year.

IvanAndreevich
05-24-2009, 01:17 PM
This guy is ridiculously overhyped on here he's just a very poor man's Safin/Djokovic.

Sounds like you haven't seen him play at his best. Great all court tennis with plenty of firepower from every department.

Cesc Fabregas
05-24-2009, 01:29 PM
Sounds like you haven't seen him play at his best. Great all court tennis with plenty of firepower from every department.

When does he play at his best once every 6 months? That just proves my point he is overhyped.

dincuss
05-24-2009, 01:31 PM
Semis? hopefully

skip1969
05-24-2009, 01:32 PM
i'm not sure what he will do, but johnny mac was talking some smack about him being from a rich family and not having the necessary desire or work ethic to be successful . . . or some such crap. what does he know about gulbis, anyway? i mean, are they pals?

dincuss
05-24-2009, 01:35 PM
i'm not sure what he will do, but johnny mac was talking some smack about him being from a rich family and not having the necessary desire or work ethic to be successful . . . or some such crap. what does he know about gulbis, anyway? i mean, are they pals?

Wow, Johnny mac rarely ever disses on people...

Cyan
05-24-2009, 01:36 PM
^^Not just rich, millionaires!

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis
05-24-2009, 02:48 PM
He needs to get to the Qtrs at least, or he'll lose some major points. One doesn't know. His performance 1st round was only mildly spotty. He's going to have to keep it together.