PDA

View Full Version : Rafa upset in Roland Garros!!!!

babbette
05-23-2009, 01:19 PM
http://blog-tennis.blogspot.com/2009/05/brian-dabul-caused-upset-for-rafael.html

:lol:

some clips of it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBcz5JoXv_8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6si8F70wf00

He's evil, saving his best for last making others think if 109th can win, surely I can too.
what was he doing playing another exho anyway. rest those feet Rafa!!

Mada
05-23-2009, 01:24 PM
Upsets don't get much bigger than that. Too bad it wasn't a real "upset" seeing as it was only exhibition.

Not that I want Rafa to lose(I hope he wins), but upsets like that every once in a while make the game exciting.

RCizzle65
05-23-2009, 01:26 PM
Before people blast this thread, this match doesn't mean anything, I'm sure Nadal wasn't even trying and he doesn't want to waste energy when he's trying to win the whole thing, this match means nothing to him and everything for the other person.
No one will pay attention to this post but whatever

CyBorg
05-23-2009, 01:27 PM
Radal should retire.

oneguy20
05-23-2009, 01:35 PM
Even it was an exhibition, Nadal isn't the kind of person who "wouldn't try." I don't know what to think of this one.

Nadal_Freak
05-23-2009, 01:54 PM
Even it was an exhibition, Nadal isn't the kind of person who "wouldn't try." I don't know what to think of this one.
Think that Madrid should be eliminated.

rubberduckies
05-23-2009, 01:57 PM
Before people blast this thread, this match doesn't mean anything, I'm sure Nadal wasn't even trying and he doesn't want to waste energy when he's trying to win the whole thing, this match means nothing to him and everything for the other person.

I agree with this. It was pretty much the same as the Madrid final.

Nadal_Freak
05-23-2009, 02:06 PM
If Nadal can lose to Federer, he can lose to anyone. Good point.

jelle v
05-23-2009, 02:15 PM
It is not very upsetting.. well, it's like Roddick beating Federer in that exhibition, means very little in the grand scheme of things.

I am however, a little surprised with Nadal's game, because even at the Guinot exhibition tourny (against Clement), he seemed a little of his game. Especially the backhand crosscourt didn't seem to work particularly well. Maybe Madrid threw his game of a bit.

Anyway, i'm sure he'll find his form in the coming two weeks. I would be very surprised if Nadal doesn't win Roland Garros.

drakulie
05-23-2009, 02:15 PM
If Nadal can lose to Federer, he can lose to anyone. Good point.

He is still tired from Madrid, which explains his loss here. I hope he sleeps and gets rest before the French. Thank goodness he has a cakewalk draw.

bolo
05-23-2009, 02:18 PM

lol. 10 char. :)

bolo
05-23-2009, 02:20 PM
This could well be the only set he loses at RG this year...........and maybe next year too. :)

Dutch-Guy
05-23-2009, 02:25 PM
Rafa helped that guy to have his 15 minutes of fame.

tacou
05-23-2009, 03:26 PM
It is not very upsetting.. well, it's like Roddick beating Federer in that exhibition, means very little in the grand scheme of things.

means even less, in my opinion. Nadal has likely never heard of this guy and either decided to try some new stuff or really just didn't try.

it's usually foolish to read into exo's, but this one especially, it was more a chance to see Nadal hit with someone more than match.

miyagi
05-23-2009, 03:32 PM
It was a one set match wasnt it?

I bet 10 some comentators mentions this along with madrid as reasons why Nadal might not win RG

tennis-hero
05-23-2009, 03:43 PM
the Nadal fans are playing it off

but it just doesn't add up, hmmmmmmmmmm

when has Rafa ever given less then 100%

the guy has a HUUUUUUUUUUGE will to win, and hates losing with a passion

his game is misfiring, and its because he has the pressure of being world number 1

he might win this year, but i think he will lose more sets then everyone else is thinking- maybe 5-7 sets total?

All-rounder
05-23-2009, 04:15 PM
He is still tired from Madrid, which explains his loss here. I hope he sleeps and gets rest before the French. Thank goodness he has a cakewalk draw.
Its considered a cake draw because he is 4 times defending champion and its his favourite surface if this were hardcourts then it would be a different story

samster
05-23-2009, 04:17 PM

agree with you.

this exhibition means nothing. nada. zip.

pound cat
05-23-2009, 04:24 PM
Uncle Toni:

Never give away the real game plan in a 1 set expo. Now the bookies will be sooo confused.

tennis-hero
05-23-2009, 04:26 PM
waiting for someone to make a Brian Dabu clay GOAT thread :D

IvanAndreevich
05-23-2009, 04:28 PM
agree with you.

this exhibition means nothing. nada. zip.

If you say that, you don't understand Nadal as a person. No way he would just give the match away without a fight. Not for ATP points, just for himself.

dincuss
05-23-2009, 04:29 PM
Radal should retire.

Genius logic

miyagi
05-23-2009, 04:37 PM
If you say that, you don't understand Nadal as a person. No way he would just give the match away without a fight. Not for ATP points, just for himself.

It was one set? He may not have wanted to lose but what does this prove he would have lost best of 5 to this guy? Come on now!

LurkingGod
05-23-2009, 05:04 PM

I've read a report from someone who was there. The court was a bit wet and slippery and Nadal wasn't stupid enough to risk slipping and falling trying to get the ball from the other guy who played like it was a real match. Most players who played the other mini matches didn't take it very seriously as they were joking around and showing off tricks. I believe Nadal expected it's gonna be the same for his match except the guy who played him decided to push hard for his 15mins of fame.

As simple as that.

tennisplaya
05-23-2009, 10:02 PM
http://blog-tennis.blogspot.com/2009/05/brian-dabul-caused-upset-for-rafael.html

:lol:

some clips of it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBcz5JoXv_8

He's evil, saving his best for last making others think if 109th can win, surely I can too.
what was he doing playing another exho anyway. rest those feet Rafa!!

OH NO! Nadal has lost 2 exhibitions in a row now!! Nadal was trying as hard as he did in the Madrid exhibition, lol :)

jamesblakefan#1
05-23-2009, 10:15 PM
^You would.

tonyg11
05-23-2009, 10:35 PM
wow, i wish TV camera views were all like this.. awesome

prosealster
05-23-2009, 10:43 PM
for those sampras ***** out there....exos dont mean anything...this is a further proof

oliver
05-23-2009, 10:47 PM
It's really not that big a deal. Even the 109th ranked player in the world is still a FANTASTIC tennis player...and while I'm sure Nadal wasn't "lying over" and handing it to him, there's no way he felt any sense of urgency or anything like that.

Come Monday, Nadal will be playing great tennis. Although I'm one of the few people who seem to think his victory is less than automatic.

oliver
05-23-2009, 10:50 PM
I've read a report from someone who was there. The court was a bit wet and slippery and Nadal wasn't stupid enough to risk slipping and falling trying to get the ball from the other guy who played like it was a real match. Most players who played the other mini matches didn't take it very seriously as they were joking around and showing off tricks. I believe Nadal expected it's gonna be the same for his match except the guy who played him decided to push hard for his 15mins of fame.

As simple as that.

Not really fair to this other guy...just because he was playing hard, he's "pushing for his 15 minutes of fame?" What should he do, lie over and let Nadal feed him a bagel because he's Numero Uno? You play to win...If I were in that guy's shoes...I'd play Nadal hard to. How else do you play Nadal? (I mean no offense or anything, but we should be fair).

RCizzle65
05-23-2009, 10:59 PM

Not where I was going with my statement at all, but go ahead and be a troll with it.

jamesblakefan#1
05-23-2009, 11:04 PM
I like how Nadal still bounces the ball 40 times in an exho and takes 40 sec between pts.