PDA

View Full Version : Nadal: Wearing Down, I Think Not!

Conquistador
05-23-2009, 02:03 PM
I recently read in a magazine that people are predicting that Nadal's career could be shortened due to his style of game. They say he is wearing down faster than the average player. I dont think this is a fair assessment. Nadal trains like a bull, a stallion, a lion. Nadal's career will be lengthened in my opinion due to his work ethic and immense focus. Nadal cannot be deterred--and this goes out to his critics--Nadal is in good hands--for the heart of a wolve--Nadal is always hungry.

ayuname
05-23-2009, 02:56 PM
Hopefully he will be sporting his 3 moon wolf shirt.

Nadal_Freak
05-23-2009, 02:58 PM
I hope so. You never know though. The more effort you put, the higher the risk of injury.

Qubax
05-23-2009, 03:27 PM
I think that Uncle Toni is a pretty smart coach. IMO Rafa will make alterations to his game that are necessary to have longevity.

Some of these alterations have to be to make the points shorter.....however Rafa IMO will always have the immense endurance, and incredible defence as a back up plan.

For a lot of guys if they are not on their game then they lose that day. However for Rafa his defence and endurance can keep him in matches and allow himself to eventually A. Find his rhythym and B. Wear out his opponent.

I also believe that Nadal has that competitive fire about hating to lose that elite champions possess.

He can not stand to lose, and I think that will trump any pride that he might have that could hinder him from getting help from whatever source necessary.

It could be argued that Federer was SO brilliant(Admitedly So) that he had a hard time taking advice from coaches and adapting.

I believe that Nadal is humble and a player who hates to lose so badily he will take whatever measures necessary to make sure that it does not happen on a regular basis.

I think in the end these things will prolong his career.

tennis-hero
05-23-2009, 03:34 PM
Though Rafa doesn't have Roger's talent, he makes up for it with intelligence and a HUGE drive to win

but his game is not the type of game that lasts

because even if he loses JUST ONE STEP, then its ruins his entire game- because that ONE STEP is the difference between making a drop shot and getting beaten by a drop shot

samster
05-23-2009, 04:19 PM
Though Rafa doesn't have Roger's talent, he makes up for it with intelligence and a HUGE drive to win

because even if he loses JUST ONE STEP, then its ruins his entire game- because that ONE STEP is the difference between making a drop shot and getting beaten by a drop shot

Just FYI,

You have some typos in your signature. It is "than" instead of "then."

I like this more than that.

tennis-hero
05-23-2009, 04:23 PM
Just FYI,

You have some typos in your signature. It is "than" instead of "then."

I like this more than that.

thank you for the correction :D

i always get then and than mixed up lol

Conquistador
05-23-2009, 05:13 PM

Says who? Nadal is soo fit that it automatically takes that part out of the equation. Lets remember that Nadal is trained to be a bear on the court. Nadal is ultimately the guy who will determine his own destiny in this game.

Jchurch
05-23-2009, 05:26 PM
Says who? Nadal is soo fit that it automatically takes that part out of the equation. Lets remember that Nadal is trained to be a bear on the court. Nadal is ultimately the guy who will determine his own destiny in this game.

Being fit doesn't take that out of the equation. You are only built to take a certain amount of hits before your body gives out. He might be able to outlast everyone now but it won't be that way forever. If Nadal gets injured, even for a short amount of time, that will be devastating to his game. It won't be his strength but his cardio levels that suffer due to injury. And Nadal's insane cardio levels are his bread and butter. We will have to see how he looks post Wimbledon before he is crowned super human and impervious to the natural break down that grinders seem to be prone to.

Conquistador
05-23-2009, 05:30 PM
Being fit doesn't take that out of the equation. You are only built to take a certain amount of hits before your body gives out. He might be able to outlast everyone now but it won't be that way forever. If Nadal gets injured, even for a short amount of time, that will be devastating to his game. It won't be his strength but his cardio levels that suffer due to injury. And Nadal's insane cardio levels are his bread and butter. We will have to see how he looks post Wimbledon before he is crowned super human and impervious to the natural break down that grinders seem to be prone to.

David Ferrer. Have you ever seen this roadrunner play. Ferrer might be more intense than that of Nadal. David Ferrer is a name that you can say that has lasted and faired quite well. Motivation really allows these Spaniards to perform at higher levels. Ferrer was a bricklayer--that kind of motivation is undeniable towards his fame.

GameSampras
05-23-2009, 05:33 PM
Nadal peaked pretty early compared to say Fed or Sampras. He was a top player at 17 or 18 years of age. So you cant expect Nadal to have longevity into his 30s considering the way he plays and how long he has been hanging around on top. Mid 20s (25-26) sounds reasonable for Nadal.

RCizzle65
05-23-2009, 10:51 PM
We have no idea about how he trains so how do you know they train him to be a "bear on the court"? But I do agree that the people that have been talking Nadal down for quite some time have been proven wrong, his career has lasted longer than other grinder's primes, but how much longer can he last is the question.

oliver
05-23-2009, 11:15 PM
Unfortunately, I think those who say he will wear down are probably right on the money.

I agree that Nadal trains and works like a bull, and he certainly has the heart of a lion...but the problem is, it's not about the work ethic. It just isn't. It's that, when you're playing THAT much tennis, and giving THAT much effort so consistently, your body wears down. It just does, it's inevitable and it WILL happen to Rafa.

At some point in time, Rafa will not be what he is today. And keep in mind, an athletes legs are the first thing to go. And legs are a PIVOTAL part of Rafa's game. He sprints all around the court, and has great endurance and consistency. So that will surely increase the rate of the degradation of his legs. And what happens when his legs are 70, 60% of what they once were? We definitely won't recognize the Rafa of today...

Truth is, Rafa will get old. And sadly, his game doesn't really translate well. That, mixed with the fact that newer, younger players will ALWAYS come out of nowhere and compete for these top spots (many thought Federer would dominate well into his early thirties), and I would really be very surprised to see him get past 10, 11 or 12 slams.

BreakPoint
05-23-2009, 11:27 PM
David Ferrer. Have you ever seen this roadrunner play. Ferrer might be more intense than that of Nadal. David Ferrer is a name that you can say that has lasted and faired quite well. Motivation really allows these Spaniards to perform at higher levels. Ferrer was a bricklayer--that kind of motivation is undeniable towards his fame.
Then why isn't Ferrer still in the Top 10?

Richie Rich
05-24-2009, 03:42 AM
nadal regurlarly runs out of steam in the fall. he's already had/has a serious foot injury. his knees are already giving him problems. factor in all the training he does and it does not look promising.

R_Federer
05-24-2009, 05:39 AM
Just look at this:

Nadal's knees all wrapped up etc. Federer meanwhile...not a single band-aid on his body. Nadal basically has a year to two left before his prime is over and he turns into what Federer is today. Thats why I see him getting around 10 Slams or so max...not catching either of Federer or Sampras.

rommil
05-24-2009, 06:06 AM
I recently read in a magazine that people are predicting that Nadal's career could be shortened due to his style of game. They say he is wearing down faster than the average player. I dont think this is a fair assessment. Nadal trains like a bull, a stallion, a lion. Nadal's career will be lengthened in my opinion due to his work ethic and immense focus. Nadal cannot be deterred--and this goes out to his critics--Nadal is in good hands--for the heart of a wolve--Nadal is always hungry.

Although it would be crazy to question Rafa's hunger and determination, the inevitable will happen and it has started to show. Nadal's body will breakdown. Maybe if he learn to shorten points and be picky with his scheduling he can last a bit longer.

P.S. He is also getting older

drakulie
05-24-2009, 06:17 AM

One problem. He is always tired like a lion too:

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm233/fitspat/BIG%20CATS/regenboogduifblessing.jpg

pr

rommil
05-24-2009, 06:24 AM

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm233/fitspat/BIG%20CATS/regenboogduifblessing.jpg

pr

Can you put a Nike headband and capri pants on that lion?

samster
05-24-2009, 06:27 AM

*yawn*

*yawn*

drakulie
05-24-2009, 06:50 AM

LOL. That would be funny as hell.

I don't have photo shop, but would love to see that. :)

fednad
05-24-2009, 07:07 AM

pr

heeeeeheeeeeeheeeeeeee
This picture made my day .....heeeheee

fednad
05-24-2009, 07:07 AM

Also, can this lion Arrange-Rearrange-FurtherRearrange water bottles?
Would he pick his capries/panties?

David_Is_Right
05-24-2009, 09:06 AM
LOL. That would be funny as hell.

I don't have photo shop, but would love to see that. :)

http://www.canvasrepublic.co.uk/images/lion.jpg

David_Is_Right
05-24-2009, 11:04 AM
Would he pick his capries/panties?

Slightly worrying that you thought of a lion picking its 'panties'?!

drakulie
05-24-2009, 11:55 AM
http://www.canvasrepublic.co.uk/images/lion.jpg

LOL.

could you please photoshop some rafa shoes and a wrist band??

That would make this priceless. :)

IvanAndreevich
05-24-2009, 01:21 PM

Lions don't pick. They lick :?

carlos djackal
05-24-2009, 10:58 PM
I think he's just physically fit for his type of game today at his peak but when you get older your body will eventually give up, in his case I think he has 2 years of good tennis...........

TheTruth
05-25-2009, 09:30 AM
I think that Uncle Toni is a pretty smart coach. IMO Rafa will make alterations to his game that are necessary to have longevity.

Some of these alterations have to be to make the points shorter.....however Rafa IMO will always have the immense endurance, and incredible defence as a back up plan.

For a lot of guys if they are not on their game then they lose that day. However for Rafa his defence and endurance can keep him in matches and allow himself to eventually A. Find his rhythym and B. Wear out his opponent.

I also believe that Nadal has that competitive fire about hating to lose that elite champions possess.

He can not stand to lose, and I think that will trump any pride that he might have that could hinder him from getting help from whatever source necessary.

It could be argued that Federer was SO brilliant(Admitedly So) that he had a hard time taking advice from coaches and adapting.

I believe that Nadal is humble and a player who hates to lose so badily he will take whatever measures necessary to make sure that it does not happen on a regular basis.

I think in the end these things will prolong his career.

I agree. When Nadal at age 12 was asked if he wanted a career like Moya's and he said he wanted more that gives a glimpse into the Nadal mindset. Most twelve years old would have been in awe of a champion like Carlos, but Nadal knew what he wanted from the beginning. I think he will be hard pressed to allow his goals to disintegrate. I think that's why he consistently works so hard on his game now, even though he is on top. His desire to beef up his serve, come to the net, play more aggressively, and shorten points are all done with an eye towards the future. I believe he and Uncle Toni know exactly what they are doing.

rafan
05-25-2009, 09:37 AM
LOL.

could you please photoshop some rafa shoes and a wrist band??

That would make this priceless. :)

Awe he looks so sweet.

fednad
05-25-2009, 09:58 AM

It was supposed to be funny and not to be taken literally.
Now laugh with us ..hehehehe

BigServer1
05-25-2009, 11:25 AM
I agree. When Nadal at age 12 was asked if he wanted a career like Moya's and he said he wanted more that gives a glimpse into the Nadal mindset. Most twelve years old would have been in awe of a champion like Carlos, but Nadal knew what he wanted from the beginning. I think he will be hard pressed to allow his goals to disintegrate. I think that's why he consistently works so hard on his game now, even though he is on top. His desire to beef up his serve, come to the net, play more aggressively, and shorten points are all done with an eye towards the future. I believe he and Uncle Toni know exactly what they are doing.

I agree that he and his crew know what they're doing, but it's one of those things where it's ultimately up to his body. Nadal missed the 06 AO with a foot injury, he was 19 at the time. He had to have his knees taped at Wimbledon 07 after injuring them on one of the softest surfaces out there. Every year by September and the US Open, he's usually taped to high heaven and he doesn't dominate the way he does in the first half of the year.

I think part of what makes Nadal so great is his physical abilities and his drive to win/never give up. But with that comes a steep price, and his price is 6-4 6-4 wins that take 2 hours and 30 minutes to play, and grand slam matches that take 3-4 hours to play 3-4 sets...After a while that wears on you, no matter how physically gifted or strong you may be.

TheTruth
05-25-2009, 04:15 PM
I agree that he and his crew know what they're doing, but it's one of those things where it's ultimately up to his body. Nadal missed the 06 AO with a foot injury, he was 19 at the time. He had to have his knees taped at Wimbledon 07 after injuring them on one of the softest surfaces out there. Every year by September and the US Open, he's usually taped to high heaven and he doesn't dominate the way he does in the first half of the year.

I think part of what makes Nadal so great is his physical abilities and his drive to win/never give up. But with that comes a steep price, and his price is 6-4 6-4 wins that take 2 hours and 30 minutes to play, and grand slam matches that take 3-4 hours to play 3-4 sets...After a while that wears on you, no matter how physically gifted or strong you may be.

It's hard to say, but if you read articles and posts from maybe four years ago people have been predicting this from the onset. So we'll see.

Some failed speculations:

*Nadal will never win Wimbledon
*Nadal will never win a hard court slam
Nadal will never win the USO
Nadal will retire early with injury
Nadal's prime will be over in the next two years
*Nadal is one-dimensional
*Nadal's 2006 Wimbledon final was a fluke win.

Already, many of these speculations have been shattered. I look forward to seeing the rest of them shattered as well. Life is funny and what appears to be a sure thing, usually isn't.

Other speculations that fell flat:

*Andre outlasting Pete on the tour
*The Williams Sisters outlasting most of top dogs on the tour
Roger will win 18-20 grand slams
*Safin would dominate
*Lleyton was unbeatable

I prefer to wait and see what actually happens.

icedevil0289
05-25-2009, 04:18 PM
It's hard to say, but if you read articles and posts from maybe four years ago people have been predicting this from the onset. So we'll see.

Some failed speculations:

*Nadal will never win Wimbledon
*Nadal will never win a hard court slam
Nadal will never win the USO
Nadal will retire early with injury
Nadal's prime will be over in the next two years
*Nadal is one-dimensional
*Nadal's 2006 Wimbledon final was a fluke win.

Already, many of these speculations have been shattered. I look forward to seeing the rest of them shattered as well. Life is funny and what appears to be a sure thing, usually isn't.

Other speculations that fell flat:

*Andre outlasting Pete on the tour
*The Williams Sisters outlasting most of top dogs on the tour
Roger will win 18-20 grand slams
*Safin would dominate
*Lleyton was unbeatable

I prefer to wait and see what actually happens.

hey, that could still happen. :)

Avril_lover7
05-25-2009, 04:21 PM
that's so gay !!

o_O

Avril_lover7
05-25-2009, 04:25 PM
i think he mxied up his outfit with Masha at the dressing room !! lol ,,
:)

that's even worse than federer cryin' at AO ..!
-_- ,,

GOSH i can't believe if he wins this year IN A PINK "DRESS" !!
lol,,

MAN UP !!!!

mary fierce
05-25-2009, 04:37 PM
Whenever I see video of an old Agassi match, I notice how he managed to make the other guy do all the running. He knew exactly how to move you side to side and make you hit most of your shots back to the center on the other side. Along with conditionning and genetics, I'm sure that contributed to his longevity. Nadal plays a punishing style but does plenty of the running himself; he might be better served to just let a ball go once in a while.

TheTruth
05-25-2009, 04:38 PM
hey, that could still happen. :)

It can, that's why I didn't put an asterisk on it. I only asterisked the failed predictions. Regarding the number Fed will win, many assumed he would go straight through without any opposition. I won't say he still won't get there because life is too unpredictable and anything can happen!