PDA

View Full Version : Borg, Wilander, Serena on the FO

bolo
05-23-2009, 04:13 PM
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/f276c082-46ff-11de-923e-00144feabdc0.html

Wilander is his usual fed. fanboy self. :)

asafi2
05-23-2009, 11:44 PM
Ha Borg just called Fed the best to ever play...

tennisplaya
05-24-2009, 12:17 AM
Thanks.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2vwe3w1.jpg

I totally agree with Wilander: (http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/f276c082-46ff-11de-923e-00144feabdc0.html)
"
Federer should come to the net, but do it with feeling.

Wilander, now a commentator for Eurosport, explained: “When the ball goes over the net more than three or four times, everyone knows that Nadal wins 19 points out of 20.” So Federer must finish points quickly, and that means charging the net.

Didn’t Federer do that last year? Not quite, said Wilander. “He was coming to the net hoping, coming to the net listening to other people. You’ve got to do it and believe it’s the right thing. And surely now he believes that the other way is the wrong way. Unless he gets slightly stronger and changes something in his backhand so that he can hit better topspin backhands above his shoulder.” That’s Federer’s one weak spot, and Nadal always finds it.

Wilander believes Federer will indeed charge the net properly this year. The Swede explained: “Every time he played Nadal on clay, he was worried about embarrassment.” So Federer played a cautious game. But last year he was embarrassed anyway. “Now it’s not going to happen again. He is not going to lose from the baseline again.”

"

CyBorg
05-24-2009, 12:55 AM
“You should always go out and play your own game,” said Borg. “He cannot handle that particular game he played against Nadal.” Perhaps Borg was thinking of his own trauma. In the final of the US Open in 1981 against John McEnroe he uncharacteristically rushed the net a lot, and lost. Three months later he retired.

Eh, no. Get your facts straight, ft.com.

CyBorg
05-24-2009, 12:55 AM
Ha Borg just called Fed the best to ever play...

haha - it's settled.

P_Agony
05-24-2009, 01:03 AM
Haha, Borg and Wilander want Federer to win the FO. Borg I can see why, but Wilander? Isn't that the guy that was so angry at Federer after the AO?

bolo
05-24-2009, 05:20 AM
Haha, Borg and Wilander want Federer to win the FO. Borg I can see why, but Wilander? Isn't that the guy that was so angry at Federer after the AO?

He was upset BECAUSE he is a fed. fanboy.....after the 06 FO.

Cesc Fabregas
05-24-2009, 05:21 AM
You'd think Borg and Wilander would want Rafa to win because they are both more like Nadal than Federer.

vtmike
05-24-2009, 05:32 AM
Wilander explained: “It’s not about Federer beating Nadal. It’s only about Federer becoming the greatest player ever.” If the Swiss can win the French Open, equal Pete Sampras’s record of 14 Grand Slam titles, and later surpass it, said Wilander, “then the most fluent, natural player and the most sporting guy on court would also be the best player ever.”

I agree! and this is exactly why majority want him to win the FO...Lets hope he can somehow pull it off this year...

tennisplaya
05-24-2009, 05:52 AM
Wilander wants Federer to grow some Wilanders and to charge the net PROPERLY, :D

bolo
05-24-2009, 05:56 AM
You'd think Borg and Wilander would want Rafa to win because they are both more like Nadal than Federer.

Wilander thinks nadal will get more slams than federer IF nadal stays healthy. So at least he's pretty rational in his discourse.

bolo
05-24-2009, 06:00 AM
Wilander wants Federer to grow some Wilanders and to charge the net PROPERLY, :D

charge the net........but with more feeling. It's like at the beginning of enter of the dragon. Wilander is bruce lee and federer is the student who doesn't know how to kick.

All-rounder
05-24-2009, 06:20 AM
Well i can see why Borg doesent want nadal to win because if he does then his record for consecutive FO is gone. I remember him saying that he wanted Rafa to win Wimbledon last year

bolo
05-24-2009, 06:25 AM
Well i can see why Borg doesent want nadal to win because if he does then his record for consecutive FO is gone. I remember him saying that he wanted Rafa to win Wimbledon last year

I remember him saying he thought rafa was going to win, but then switched his mind right before the final back to federer.

Cesc Fabregas
05-24-2009, 06:30 AM
I remember him saying he thought rafa was going to win, but then switched his mind right before the final back to federer.

Yeah Borg is a terrible analysist he said Nadal was going to win the USO last year in 2006 and 2007 he said Federer was going to with RG the guy never gets anything right.