PDA

View Full Version : Federer: Will He Reach the Grand Slam Before Nadal

Conquistador
05-23-2009, 05:19 PM
What a question to contemplate. Here you have Mr. Federer at Roland Garros trying to win and complete his grand slam. On the other side, If Nadal beats Federer--Nadal is 1 up in the chase towards the US OPEN. Nadal will have the Grand Slam by winning the US OPEN..only if Federer can stop him. Its going to be unbelievable to watch. Its almost like a greyhound dog race--and these two dogs are Thoroughbreds.

GameSampras
05-23-2009, 05:21 PM
No Nadal has ample opportunities to win the USO being that he is only 22 and already reached the semis and Fed's window has pretty much closed or will after this year to win the French

gj011
05-23-2009, 05:38 PM
Grand Slam is winning all 4 major tournaments in 1 calendar year.

Federer will never do that.

Career slam is something different, but I doubt Federer will achieve that as well.

Nadal have some chances, but we have to wait and see for that one.

IvanAndreevich
05-23-2009, 05:40 PM
I think OP meant a career slam like Agassi.

sh@de
05-23-2009, 06:04 PM
Didn't we have this like, not very long ago. Nadal has the bigger chance, definitely. He's won Wimby and the AO, so in theory, he should be able to do well in the USO as well. Fed on the other hand, seems rather stuck at RG against Nadal, so even if he makes the finals this year, and pushes Nadal extra hard, I still don't see him winning.

grafselesfan
05-23-2009, 06:10 PM
Grand Slam is winning all 4 major tournaments in 1 calendar year.

Federer will never do that.

Career slam is something different, but I doubt Federer will achieve that as well.

Nadal have some chances, but we have to wait and see for that one.

I agree. I see Nadal as a good shot of achieving the Grand Slam. It wont be easy to win the U.S Open but he is so young, talented, and determined, and will have so many chances left. So unless someone becomes absolutely unbeatable on hard courts like Djokovic or Murray taking their game on hard courts to a whole new level, or someone else, I see him taking it at some point to complete it. In Nadal's case he has a shot at the Calender Slam this year but it wont be easy, and he might get a Calendar Slam at some point, but it will have to be the next several year. It wont be easy though as Djokovic, Murray, and Federer are all big threats to him on hard courts, and as years go on Djokovic will become even more a threat on clay, and both Djokovic and Murray will become threats on grass.

I think Djokovic has a decent shot of the career slam. He has a good shot to win the French and Wimbledon at some point, although probably not either this year, and we know he is capable of winning the two hard court slams (well already won one).

Murray I will wait to see before saying he has any shot of the career slam in the future. He has to show alot more improvent on both clay and grass to even consider it, and he still hasnt won his first major yet even on hard courts.

Federer has very little shot to ever do it now. He had some decent chances to win the French in the past but never could. He is already past his prime it seems by his play, especialy on clay the surface which does not reward age, Nadal has widened the gap alot over him on clay to what is used to be, and Djokovic has surpassed him on clay too.

Conquistador
05-23-2009, 07:00 PM
Career Slam!!!!!

drakulie
09-04-2009, 06:09 AM
Federer has very little shot to ever do it now. He had some decent chances to win the French in the past but never could. He is already past his prime it seems by his play, especialy on clay the surface which does not reward age, Nadal has widened the gap alot over him on clay to what is used to be, and Djokovic has surpassed him on clay too.

Nice. real nice. :roll:

oh, and to the OP. The answer to your poll is, Federer. :)

Polvorin
09-04-2009, 07:25 AM
I doubt either of them will ever do it.

Polvorin
09-04-2009, 07:29 AM

That's funny I seem to remember Federer beating Nadal on clay in straight sets last time they played. I also seem to remember Nadal and Djokovic both crashing out of the French, and watching Fed win it from home. What was that about a widening gap?

Grizvok
09-04-2009, 07:29 AM
I doubt either of them will ever do it.

Uh, Federer already did. The OP was talking about the CAREER SLAM.

Polvorin
09-04-2009, 08:14 AM
Uh, Federer already did. The OP was talking about the CAREER SLAM.

I see that now. I just assumed otherwise since it made no sense to think he was talking about something that had already been done.

Andres
09-04-2009, 08:16 AM
Check the original posting date:

May 23rd ;)

drakulie
09-04-2009, 08:22 AM
Check the original posting date:

May 23rd ;)

what's funny is there have been a few people who have voted for Federer. :)

Polaris
09-04-2009, 09:24 AM
Some people just never learn. :)

Anyway, I get the feeling that this poster has had many user-names on TW in the recent past.

volleynets
09-04-2009, 09:31 AM
I agree. I see Nadal as a good shot of achieving the Grand Slam. It wont be easy to win the U.S Open but he is so young, talented, and determined, and will have so many chances left. So unless someone becomes absolutely unbeatable on hard courts like Djokovic or Murray taking their game on hard courts to a whole new level, or someone else, I see him taking it at some point to complete it. In Nadal's case he has a shot at the Calender Slam this year but it wont be easy, and he might get a Calendar Slam at some point, but it will have to be the next several year. It wont be easy though as Djokovic, Murray, and Federer are all big threats to him on hard courts, and as years go on Djokovic will become even more a threat on clay, and both Djokovic and Murray will become threats on grass.

I think Djokovic has a decent shot of the career slam. He has a good shot to win the French and Wimbledon at some point, although probably not either this year, and we know he is capable of winning the two hard court slams (well already won one).

Murray I will wait to see before saying he has any shot of the career slam in the future. He has to show alot more improvent on both clay and grass to even consider it, and he still hasnt won his first major yet even on hard courts.

Djoko and Murray unbeatable on hard courts? Federer beat both of them straight sets in Cincy. Federer is better than Djoko on clay. One loss is not enough to judge that. However one has a French and a few clay masters (All in Hamburg, and one in Madrid) While Djoko just has a Rome Masters.

Omega_7000
09-04-2009, 09:37 AM

You must feel like a complete **** now!