PDA

View Full Version : Good backhand is advantage?

QuErorZ
05-23-2009, 06:25 PM
Hey. I am a two handed backhand user. I use my right hand for my forehand. I have a real weak forehand but my backhand is so good.
I am a 3.5 player but my forehand is like 2.5-3.0. Not deep, lacking spin, not accurate, almost slow.
And my backhand is like 4.0-5.0. Deep, well spinned, so hard.
So, is this and advantage or disadvantage for me? What do you recommend me to do? What to do, what to practice?
Thanks.:)

JavierLW
05-23-2009, 07:19 PM
Hey. I am a two handed backhand user. I use my right hand for my forehand. I have a real weak forehand but my backhand is so good.
I am a 3.5 player but my forehand is like 2.5-3.0. Not deep, lacking spin, not accurate, almost slow.
And my backhand is like 4.0-5.0. Deep, well spinned, so hard.
So, is this and advantage or disadvantage for me? What do you recommend me to do? What to do, what to practice?
Thanks.:)

If you're forehand is completely off then take some lessons from a pro and start over.

Learn a new way to hit it that hopefully seems simple and practice, practice, practice.

I had the same issue a year or so ago, and once in awhile it crops up again. (my backhand is always great, forehand depends....)

It's pretty much just like what people in the opposite situation do, I had to hide my forehand as much as possible including running around it.

And for doubles, I would play the deuce side. If i setup far enough out wide, I can at least fix it so the forehands that I do have to hit are right at me (thus not as difficult), and Im pretty confident that I can hit almost any backhand that goes towards the T. (unless I get the occasional rare server in 3.5 who has such good control that he can hit the T and force me to move over)

(I use the 1HBH btw, not that it matters, I think the deal with me is that it's a very simple seeming motion and I was more opt to use my other hand to get my shoulders around, where with the forehand I was more lazy about it. I can imagine with the 2HBH that would be even better.)

plasma
05-23-2009, 07:42 PM
sorry, one cannot have a 5.0 backhand and a 2.5 forehand, impossible. I would recomend swinging the racquet in the air for a half hour every night. Shadow stroking is used by many NCAA and pro coaches...
try to attain accuracy and depth, not pace and spin, try to get every ball back within two feet of the hash mark...and try to hit ten balls in a row within two feet of the hash mark, then you'll be a pro!!!

Lame_Backhand
05-24-2009, 06:15 AM
I definitely think that you are at an advantage having a better backhand than forehand while at the 3.5 level. If you can bring your forehand up a couple of notches, you will definitely be a solid 3.5 with advantage over most other 3.5s. Most 3.5 players that I have played against seem to use the slice backhand instead of a true topspin backhand.

I am in just the opposite boat than you, I am currently working with our tennis professional, essentially, buying a backhand. My forehand I can hit without even thinking about it, but my backhand, I really have to think about the stroke which usually spells disaster as usually the ball drills the net.....

Good luck with the forehand. Get that stroke down, and you will be tough at the 3.5 level.

Cindysphinx
05-24-2009, 09:50 AM
It is an advantage to have a better BH than FH. Most players will go a set and a half before they figure it out.

I have had matches where the server stubbornly kept going to my BH without realizing that going to my FH is where the low hanging fruit can be found.

But yeah, you should work hard to square away your FH. I know I am!

OrangePower
05-24-2009, 09:56 PM
I definitely think that you are at an advantage having a better backhand than forehand while at the 3.5 level.

It is an advantage to have a better BH than FH. Most players will go a set and a half before they figure it out.

Kinda surprised at that. I would have thought it easier to compensate for a poor BH than for a poor FH, since running around a BH to hit a FH is I think easier than running around a FH, especially with a 2 handed BH. (Because after running around a shot, you don't have much time to set up, and the FH is easier to hit open stance while you would need more time to rotate for a BH.) At the pro level, it's common to see FH's being hit from close to the sideline on the BH side, but very very rare to see the reverse, even with those few players who have a stronger BH.

makinao
05-25-2009, 01:10 AM
In a match, a stroke only becomes an advantage when:
1) You can hit it under pressure.
2) It doesn't break down as the match progresses.
3) It has variety so that your opponent cannot get a groove on it.

You should work on developing other weak strokes, but do not take your strong strokes for granted because they might get rusty without practice.

Dark_Angel85
05-25-2009, 01:25 AM
good backhand = good

bad forehand = bad

you're just switching one good stroke for another.

Josherer
05-25-2009, 02:02 AM
Lol 4.0 - 5.0 BH

And a 2.5 forehand.

BAH!

QuErorZ
05-25-2009, 07:14 PM
Plasma and Josherer I don't really know much about NTRP rates. I just wanted to give an example. Let's say 3.0 FH and 4.0 BH if it will work.
Thank you all. I read them all. I guess having a good BH is good but i need to seriously work on my FH.

GPG
05-25-2009, 07:35 PM
ofcourse is good. Lots of players start attacking the BH because it is a good way to test how can the opponent react to his/her "weak" shot. Try to take advantage to that ability

OTOH, you MUST practice FH. It so easy to improve in comparison to the other strokes and it is the most natural shot a player can perform in the game, so if you at least air stroke for a while you'll really improve that FH.

split-step
05-25-2009, 08:09 PM
I don't see how it is an advantage.
At 3.5 level majority of your shots will be to your forehand side which is your weakness.

Work on your forehand.

Nellie
05-25-2009, 08:21 PM
Agreed - it may be an advantage for a game or two, but people will quickly realize that you have a bad wing.

So when you receive serve, do you stand way to the forehand side to encourage serves to the backhand? What else do you do to set up this "advantage"?

Oddly, a lot of women have better two handed backhands than forehands, maybe because of less wrist strength.

MethodTennis
05-26-2009, 10:16 AM
i used to have a realy good backhand but its got worse and the forehand got better

Kick_It
05-26-2009, 11:22 AM
Insofar as you don't have any obvious liabilities - it can be an advantage.

Otherwise it should only take any worthwhile opponent about a game to figure it out and start exploiting your liabilities. If someone has it ingrained in their brain that everyone has a weak backhand - you might fool them for a while longer - but they'd have to be fairly oblivious to not figure it out after a set or so.

subaru3169
05-26-2009, 11:35 AM
i'd develop your forehand more.. if your shots become predictable, good opponents will know and take advantage of your weakness