PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody know if Fo balls are different this year??

Leonidas
05-24-2009, 04:35 AM
I read somewhere that they switched to quicker and lower bouncing balls, but i donīt know if thatīs true. I wouldnīt be surprised if the frenchies did it so that It would be more difficult for Nadal to win. Iīm watching verdasco agaisnt Serra now and i got the feeling the balls could be certainly quicker, but again, i donīt know if thatīs a fact

Bud
05-24-2009, 05:12 AM
I read somewhere that they switched to quicker and lower bouncing balls, but i donīt know if thatīs true. I wouldnīt be surprised if the frenchies did it so that It would be more difficult for Nadal to win. Iīm watching verdasco agaisnt Serra now and i got the feeling the balls could be certainly quicker, but again, i donīt know if thatīs a fact

The courts seem their usual speed... slow.

Leonidas
05-24-2009, 05:22 AM
Your statement doesnīt contribute anything and you dont answer the question. I guess you are the typical american who hates clay courts and you will always say that its slow and boring. iīm sure if we would paint a fast hard court as a clay court one and you would watch the match thinking it was a clay court, you would say itīs slow even though itīs not of course. ;)

maximo
05-24-2009, 05:24 AM

I don't know if its just me, but the courts seem pretty fast this year.

Cloudy
05-24-2009, 05:26 AM
outside courts look fairly fast for clay. Just been watching court 1 and 7. Lenglen and Chatrier look their usual selves though to me.

Cesc Fabregas
05-24-2009, 05:32 AM
I don't think they have changed the balls because it would have been pretty news and I can't find anything saying they have changed the balls.

Bud
05-24-2009, 05:36 AM

Your statement doesnīt contribute anything and you dont answer the question. I guess you are the typical american who hates clay courts and you will always say that its slow and boring. iīm sure if we would paint a fast hard court as a clay court one and you would watch the match thinking it was a clay court, you would say itīs slow even though itīs not of course. ;)

If the courts seem their usual speed... then they haven't changed the balls, correct? My statement implied that nothing has changed, IMO.

There are a number of false assumptions in your diatribe. First, I love clay courts and prefer them over hard courts. Next, I can tell the difference between a slow/fast court simply by looking at the players setting up for their shots.

Stop making silly assumptions and try asking some questions, instead.

Bud
05-24-2009, 05:38 AM
I don't know if its just me, but the courts seem pretty fast this year.

outside courts look fairly fast for clay. Just been watching court 1 and 7. Lenglen and Chatrier look their usual selves though to me.

I haven't viewed any matches on the outer courts, yet. Who were you watching play?

maximo
05-24-2009, 05:40 AM
I haven't viewed any matches on the outer courts, yet. Who were you watching play?

I was watching the Hewitt match which was on court 1 i believe.

Bud
05-24-2009, 05:44 AM
I was watching the Hewitt match which was on court 1 i believe.

I did watch them briefly and it didn't seem overly quick, IMO. Both those guys were just serving really well.

mfischer
05-24-2009, 07:12 AM
http://store.rolandgarros.com/en_nv_fiche__French-Open-balls-09-497003.html

same balls, dunlop roland garros

Leonidas
05-24-2009, 07:42 AM
http://store.rolandgarros.com/en_nv_fiche__French-Open-balls-09-497003.html

same balls, dunlop roland garros
thanks. i see the balls are the same, but i still think it looks quicker this time. I mean, Verdasco vs serra were hitting winners easily and Karlovic has just got a new record for aces, 55 aces on clay?? wouldnīt it be easier to get that record on a five setter on grass or hard courts? i still got the feeling those frenchies have made the courts quicker some way, although i might be wrong

gj011
05-24-2009, 07:46 AM
Red grass, I am telling you :)

fps
05-24-2009, 07:46 AM
thanks. i see the balls are the same, but i still think it looks quicker this time. I mean, Verdasco vs serra were hitting winners easily and Karlovic has just got a new record for aces, 55 aces on clay?? wouldnīt it be easier to get that record on a five setter on grass or hard courts? i still got the feeling those frenchies have made the courts quicker some way, although i might be wrong

idk much about the surface, but with the hot dry weather, the ball should be moving through the air quicker, and the court should have a little less contact time, thus taking a little less pace off the ball no?

fps
05-24-2009, 08:06 AM
it is of course possible that the general homogenisation of surfaces is an attempt to make sure whoever is best on the surface to which all others are moving are always present at the business end of tournaments, making them more marketable. this may be a cynical reading of things, however.

dh003i
05-24-2009, 08:21 AM
There is nothing wrong with business and marketing concerns. After all, this is a profession. And it is the massive amounts of money that draw in the best talent around the world.

Cloudy
05-24-2009, 08:24 AM

Montcourt and Hewitt's matches

jazar
05-24-2009, 08:47 AM
new balls were introduced in 2006 which are harder and more resistant to compression upon impact than the standard ball meaning a reduced contact time with the surface and a faster game. this ball was designed to be used on the slower court surfaces such as clay.

BullDogTennis
05-24-2009, 11:12 AM
another excuse if nadal loses?

Leonidas
05-24-2009, 12:10 PM
We are just discussing about the speed of the court. If itīs quicker thatīs a fact, not an excuse. by the way, a lot of people claimed that wimbledon is veeeeeeeeeery slow when federer lost to Nadal.

Cyan
05-24-2009, 01:01 PM
Same balls as 2008.

THESEXPISTOL
05-24-2009, 01:10 PM
I've heard that frenchies also put butter in nadal shoes and toothpaste in his hair.

BullDogTennis
05-24-2009, 02:26 PM
We are just discussing about the speed of the court. If itīs quicker thatīs a fact, not an excuse. by the way, a lot of people claimed that wimbledon is veeeeeeeeeery slow when federer lost to Nadal.

people were saying is was way slower way before they played in the final.

edupillo
06-04-2009, 04:02 AM

Yesterday, Emilio Sanchez-Vicario said on TV that, Roland Garros team asked to the balls manufacturer for a new ball faster than the previos years model. They said that to avoid Spanish or Argentinian players. The probelm was that during this proffesional conversation, there was a representative from this company that was Spanish. They confessed that they did the same to get Noha victory. They changed the surface too. That's why the best clay players around the season have failed (Rafa and Nole).

If Roger wins it will be discussed forever, because this trick.

Rhino
06-04-2009, 04:08 AM
they are still using tennis balls, so who cares.

Rhino
06-04-2009, 04:10 AM
I've heard that frenchies also put butter in nadal shoes and toothpaste in his hair.

Also the head clothes designer at Nike is a Federer fan. He made Nadal wear a pink shirt so that the other players couldn't possibly be afraid of him anymore.

fedtastic
06-04-2009, 04:16 AM
I heard Mats Wilander on Eurosport saying the balls were fast this year. It was just his personal opinion and he didn't compare the balls to last year but he just said the balls felt like they were playing faster. I don't really know if they used faster balls as there is no evidence for it.