PDA

View Full Version : Federer: LEGACY on Edge at FRENCH

Conquistador
05-24-2009, 06:26 AM
This is the championship that Federer has to win. Losing the French may be disaterous to Roger's legacy as the greatest of all time. Its really simple--if Federer wins he is automatically the greatest of all time--having won on all 3 surfaces. If he loses-People will say he was just as good as Pete. However the wild card is Nadal..Nadal holds all 3 surface slams. Clay grass and hardcourts--If Nadal does not reach 14 at the end of his career but Federer does without a French Open--then Nadal gets the nod. But if Federer wins the French Open he will have to wait and see how long Nadal's career will last. Nadal has a French Open to trump Sampras in the discussion. Everything falls on Federer at this Slam. It will be epic.

samster
05-24-2009, 06:29 AM
This will be a great intro for the French Open televised matches. You sound like Dick Enberg.

OH MINE!

R_Federer
05-24-2009, 06:40 AM
This will be a great intro for the French Open televised matches. You sound like Dick Enberg.

OH MINE!

LoL good one.

dh003i
05-24-2009, 08:27 AM
This is the championship that Federer has to win. Losing the French may be disaterous to Roger's legacy as the greatest of all time. Its really simple--if Federer wins he is automatically the greatest of all time--having won on all 3 surfaces. If he loses-People will say he was just as good as Pete. However the wild card is Nadal..Nadal holds all 3 surface slams. Clay grass and hardcourts--If Nadal does not reach 14 at the end of his career but Federer does without a French Open--then Nadal gets the nod. But if Federer wins the French Open he will have to wait and see how long Nadal's career will last. Nadal has a French Open to trump Sampras in the discussion. Everything falls on Federer at this Slam. It will be epic.

Nadal certainly as a chance for getting double-digit slams, but it isn't a walk-in, mainly because of he way he plays. If he can keep this up for several more years, he can get there, of course.

I predict Nadal will be considered among he 1st tier of players upon retiring, although if he can break into the top 3 in the Open Era (Laver, Sampras, Federer) is more challenging.

aceroberts13
05-24-2009, 07:01 PM
After what Fed has done at the French (runner up 3 times in a row) while a player like Nadal (won 4 times in a row) has been on tour and both been peaking at the same time. I'd have to say Fed would get the nod over Sampras. I mean if Nadal isn't around right now, one would be able to argue Fed's place as the greatest ever on any individual surface. If he(Fed) gets the 14th slam I'm convinced he's the best ever 100%.

tudwell
05-24-2009, 07:04 PM
Its really simple--if Federer wins he is automatically the greatest of all time

Nope.

10char

Blue Drop
05-24-2009, 07:14 PM
Nadal has 3 of 4 slams PLUS an Olympic Gold ... the guy gets the US Open, and that'll be something.

He's also the one guy who stood in the way of Federer achieving what would have been two back to back calendar grand slams (which would have been unprecedented).

Pretty nice rivalry we're witnessing between to great palyers.

Conquistador
05-24-2009, 07:19 PM
Nadal has 3 of 4 slams PLUS an Olympic Gold ... the guy gets the US Open, and that'll be something.

He's also the one guy who stood in the way of Federer achieving what would have been two back to back calendar grand slams (which would have been unprecedented).

Shows how good that Roger guy is.

aceroberts13
05-24-2009, 07:19 PM

Yea, those are all very good points. The recent accomplishments of Fed and Nadal has made this "era" of tennis great. We, as fans, are definitley going to be spoiled once these two are out of the picture.

autumn_leaf
05-24-2009, 07:27 PM
Yea, those are all very good points. The recent accomplishments of Fed and Nadal has made this "era" of tennis great. We, as fans, are definitley going to be spoiled once these two are out of the picture.

i don't think so with all the new up and comers. the top 10 is changing quite a bit and the top 3 will be soon. it's been getting closer and closer in points since roger's prime.

also, if nadal wasn't here tennis would really be a total bore to me, i saw some matches of federer in his prime when i first started watching. the guys game was pretty much perfect, unfortunately i thought it was pretty boring since he steamed-roll through his opposition.

i don't want to call this a changing of an era because the guys have been here, just no where near nadal and fed till now. in another year i don't think fed vs. nadal finals are going to be that common anymore.

S H O W S T O P P E R !
05-24-2009, 07:28 PM
Are you suggesting that Federer will be considered a bad player if he doesn't win the French? You do know he had the best 3 year run in the history of the sport, right?

tennis_hand
05-24-2009, 08:07 PM
13 slams so far. 2nd player in history. even if he doesn't win the French, he is one of the best.

if nadal wins the USO, nadal is also one of the best, but if he can't beat Fed's slam count, he can't be said better than Fed, but good in a different context. however, if nadal manages more slams than fed, he is better than Fed. period. (i doubt it a lot)

Sentinel
05-24-2009, 08:20 PM
Its really simple--if Federer wins he is automatically the greatest of all time--having won on all 3 surfaces. .

Well, if Fed wins RG, then what is to stop him from taking a few more slams in the next couple years. That will make him the GOAT.

That puts the slam count more diff for Nadal to reach, although i honestly feel Nadal can easily cross it given his current dominance on all surfaces.

danb
05-24-2009, 09:07 PM

Correct !!!!!