PDA

View Full Version : Edberg first serve

Benefactor
05-24-2009, 07:51 AM
I was watching some footage of him from Wimbledon from the early '90's and it seems to me that even on the first serve, he never used anything flat. It was always some kind of hard spinning/kicking serve. What do you guys think?

LeeD
05-24-2009, 08:32 AM
Worked well in the age of conti and Eastern grips, most players having trouble with eye high bouncing twisting and slicing topped serves.
Nowadaze, lots of players employ W and SW grips, giving them a better chance to crush the high, slowmoving incoming serves.
Edberg volleyed OK too, and a little better than most of us....

tennisdad65
05-24-2009, 09:21 AM
At that time there were more 1HBH players and this worked well against them.

I do not know of Edbergs head to head vs. Agassi/courier/chang.. but I know he crushed courier in one USOpen final and beat chang in another USOpen semi's.. so this heavy spinning serve worked against the best 2HBH also (atleast at that time).

Also rafter had a very heavy spinning serve too. Rafter serve even gave agassi trouble.

I once watched Edberg destroy a 2HBH clay courter (forget who it was but it was on hard court) while serving his first and second serves at 80-85 mph.

BTURNER
05-24-2009, 09:29 AM
If memory serves, not much difference between 1st and second. Extra spin gave him that extra nanosecond get closer to net. Not lots of aces but better volley position made up