PDA

View Full Version : faster clay?

BullDogTennis
05-24-2009, 10:23 AM
so im watching the querrey and gulbis match, and it seems to be playing pretty fast. and i saw the stat where that one dude had somethin like 55 aces in one match? and lost? i've been watchin the french for several years, and may have just missed it, but is it playin faster this year? or have i just been missin it?

also listening to the comentators all saying its playing fast.

T1000
05-24-2009, 10:32 AM
Its because of high humidity and temperatures

R_Federer
05-24-2009, 10:35 AM
Question is will it last for the two weeks?

All-rounder
05-24-2009, 10:37 AM
Oh well if they can't speed up wimbledon then let them speed up RG i'm still satisfied

BullDogTennis
05-24-2009, 10:50 AM
Its because of high humidity and temperatures

its 81 degrees! if thats "hot" then wow. you guys dont know hot. (idk what the humidity is)

heres for the rest of the weeks temperatures for paris.
Monday: high 83 Low 58
Tuesday: high 63 Low 48 **calling for rain
Wendsday: high 66 Low 48
Thursday: high 71 Low 52
Friday: high 74 Low 54

looks like its gonna cool off the rest of the week.

BullDogTennis
05-24-2009, 10:51 AM
Question is will it last for the two weeks?

fed needs to hope so.

bolo
05-24-2009, 10:53 AM
Probably mostly the big servers: kendrick, karlovic, gulbis, querrey. Commentators are saying heat has something to do with it too.

Nadal_Freak
05-24-2009, 10:54 AM
Hopefully the temperatures cool down soon. Though I doubt it would make that much of a difference. We need some wind as well.

T1000
05-24-2009, 11:00 AM
its 81 degrees! if thats "hot" then wow. you guys dont know hot. (idk what the humidity is)

Just saying what the announcers said. 81 isn't hot at all but I think the main factor is humidity

Nadal_Freak
05-24-2009, 11:00 AM
Just saying what the announcers said. 81 isn't hot at all but I think the main factor is humidity
Humidity is supposed to slow it down.

BullDogTennis
05-24-2009, 11:02 AM

i mean, lets think about it, if its humid doesnt that mean theres a lot of moisture in the air? and if theres a lot of moisture in the air wouldnt it be harder for the balls to travel through the air quickly? just what i'd think, no idea if its a true theory.

R_Federer
05-24-2009, 11:12 AM
Hopefully the temperatures cool down soon. We need some wind as well.

lolllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

jamesblakefan#1
05-24-2009, 11:19 AM
Hopefully the temperatures cool down soon. Though I doubt it would make that much of a difference. We need some wind as well.

And by we, you mean Nadal, right? It only looks fast b/c Gulbis, Querrey are two big hitters who don't play classic cc tennis. And, Karlovic going vs. anybody is gonna have a lot of aces, b/c Karlovic is a big server and bad returner.

Gugafan
05-24-2009, 12:10 PM

It was 24C maybe hotter and the forcast for monday is as high as 30C....The conditions are far more warmer then one would expect for this time of the year. The FO is usually played in overcast, cool conditions.

P_Agony
05-24-2009, 12:38 PM

Who, exactly, are "we"?

THESEXPISTOL
05-24-2009, 12:59 PM
Everytime i read a Nadal_Freak i start laughing my *** off..
Seriously.. This guy should be hired by Nadal Entourage to argue with Wilander at Game-Set-Mats @ Eurosport lol

Cyan
05-24-2009, 12:59 PM
Only the outside courts.

KoolBeans
05-24-2009, 01:02 PM

Only a complete and utter ****** could possibly want wind. No tennis player wants wind. Totally ridiculous.

IvanAndreevich
05-24-2009, 01:19 PM
Only a complete and utter ****** could possibly want wind. No tennis player wants wind. Totally ridiculous.

A slight breeze would be nice. 5 km/h.

Cesc Fabregas
05-24-2009, 01:42 PM
I don't think the clay is faster because

A). It was very hot always quickens up the courts
B). Alot of big servers and agressive players played today

ninman
05-24-2009, 02:13 PM

It is playing like Red Grass. Hewitt and Karlovic match had 75 aces in it. Clay courts are supposed to reward defensive play. Right now I'm seeing attacking tennis work. I think they need to water the courts more and not lay it on top of a hard court. Instead a natural surface. Who is with me?

I think we know what's coming next.

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/8430/epicfailrz1.jpg

markmurray
05-24-2009, 02:25 PM
It is pretty hot compared to average temperatures in Paris, France, at this time of year. It doesn't make any sense to compare it to anything else.

JeMar
05-24-2009, 02:26 PM
Humidity is supposed to slow it down.

I'm not sure about tennis, but I do know that baseballs tend to fly further in more humid weather.

Docalex007
05-24-2009, 02:27 PM

LOL. This is soooooooooooo funny. :D

Docalex007
05-24-2009, 02:28 PM
I haven't seen Nadal fans this nervous in a really long time. :D

Lotto
05-24-2009, 02:32 PM

Thats around 27 degrees celsius which is HOT for the UK, Ireland/Paris area......Paris has very similar weather to Ireland and the UK....similar, not the same but similar....and for us, that is HOT... VERY HOT. lol. Maybe not for you Aussies and Americanos.

All-rounder
05-24-2009, 02:33 PM
I haven't seen Nadal fans this nervous in a really long time. :D
They will again in like 3 years time

BullDogTennis
05-24-2009, 03:02 PM
Thats around 27 degrees celsius which is HOT for the UK, Ireland/Paris area......Paris has very similar weather to Ireland and the UK....similar, not the same but similar....and for us, that is HOT... VERY HOT. lol. Maybe not for you Aussies and Americanos.

81 degrees (farenheiht) is very mild. the US open will be up in the 100's thats prob one reason why it plays so fast.

oliver
05-24-2009, 03:28 PM
I could be wrong, but my understanding is that high humidity would slow the ball down. Thicker air, or something like that.

oliver
05-24-2009, 03:29 PM
81 degrees (farenheiht) is very mild. the US open will be up in the 100's thats prob one reason why it plays so fast.

He's right. 81 degrees is beautiful, perfect weather. I live in the central valley in CA, and let me tell you...if I could play tennis in 81 degree weather every day, I'd be perfectly happy.

oliver
05-24-2009, 03:33 PM
It is pretty hot compared to average temperatures in Paris, France, at this time of year. It doesn't make any sense to compare it to anything else.

Well, it does in a sense...If the average temperature in some small town in Russia is -12 degrees, would 40 be an extremely hot day? Well, no...It really only makes sense to think about it all in absolute terms. And truthfully, 81 degrees is NOT that hot. It might be hotter than usual, but it is definitely not hot enough to really make playing THAT uncomfortable.

From what I saw, the weather looked very, very nice.

Solid Ace
05-24-2009, 03:38 PM
It's been already comfirmed by the TT crew, they are using red grass.

BullDogTennis
05-24-2009, 04:41 PM
It was 24C maybe hotter and the forcast for monday is as high as 30C....The conditions are far more warmer then one would expect for this time of the year. The FO is usually played in overcast, cool conditions.

your saying it matters that there in paris or whatever, but does the ball care if there in paris playin in 81 degree weather, or playin in new york city in 81 degree weather? i mean the fact is the courts *seemed* to be playing fast. weather its an illusion because of the players goin for it all or what, it still seems to be fast.

ninman
05-24-2009, 04:46 PM
your saying it matters that there in paris or whatever, but does the ball care if there in paris playin in 81 degree weather, or playin in new york city in 81 degree weather? i mean the fact is the courts *seemed* to be playing fast. weather its an illusion because of the players goin for it all or what, it still seems to be fast.

We are comparing normal Paris conditions with current Paris conditions. In normal Paris conditions it would be cooler than it is now, hence the ball would move slower than it currently is, so for this particular tournament the conditions are faster than normal.

BullDogTennis
05-24-2009, 05:00 PM
what are the normal paris conditions?

ninman
05-24-2009, 05:03 PM
what are the normal paris conditions?

For this time of year, probably 15-20 C.

Chopin
05-24-2009, 05:30 PM
The clay did seem to be playing faster than usual. It's been dry in Paris. I wonder if they're watering them less in an effort to speed up play.

sh@de
05-24-2009, 05:55 PM
I like red grass!

OliverSimon
05-24-2009, 06:09 PM
If it stays fast like this Nadal is getting bounced

Stchamps
05-24-2009, 06:43 PM
Who, exactly, are "we"?

I was wondering the same thing as well.

carlos djackal
05-24-2009, 06:56 PM
so im watching the querrey and gulbis match, and it seems to be playing pretty fast. and i saw the stat where that one dude had somethin like 55 aces in one match? and lost? i've been watchin the french for several years, and may have just missed it, but is it playin faster this year? or have i just been missin it?

also listening to the comentators all saying its playing fast.

I agree, looks fast to me...... just have to wait how nadal fares to the surface....

Nadal_Freak
05-24-2009, 08:45 PM
If it stays fast like this Nadal is getting bounced
Luckily Nadal doesn't have to play on the show courts. They play much faster than Chatrier or Lenglen. I have no idea why the courts play so much different.

OliverSimon
05-24-2009, 09:51 PM
Luckily Nadal doesn't have to play on the show courts. They play much faster than Chatrier or Lenglen. I have no idea why the courts play so much different.

Ya! Chatrier seemed to play relatively slow today during Simons match

DNShade
05-24-2009, 10:08 PM

Learn your tennis terms...Chatrier and Lenglen (along with court 1) are the show courts!

You mean the outside courts.

Nadal_Freak
05-24-2009, 11:06 PM
Yes so we should have everything in perfect condition. How about indoors so the sun can't have any effect on that match. Having wind makes it so you got to play the percentages more and not trying to get out of the point so quickly. It also bothers servers. I just like points constructed that way over the easy way out style.

Nadal_Freak
05-24-2009, 11:14 PM
How about you get off the sofa and try and construct one of those points.

Instead of talking about it.. ;)
Nah. What the pros do is enough for me. I enjoyed that Nadal/Murray match in Indian Wells btw. Now that was some interesting conditions.

maximo
05-24-2009, 11:16 PM
Nah. Now that was some interesting conditions.

This lead to Murray's downfall...

Nadal_Freak
05-24-2009, 11:17 PM
This lead to Murray's downfall...
Yeah Murray relies a lot on his serve. Conditions like that make it so you have to play the point out rather then by aces.