PDA

View Full Version : ...first USTA NTRP tournament...

Nanshiki
05-24-2009, 02:03 PM
I'm planning on playing my first USTA NTRP tournament (because I sure don't want to get rocked in the first round of an Open tournament) in about a month or so... the idea of paying $45 to play two matches of tennis (because face it; I'm probably going to lose) doesn't sit all that well with me, but at this rate I'm never going to get any better at match play.

Anyway, would it seem ethical to sandbag half a rating on your very first competitive tournament ever (except for a campus tournament I played when I was like a 2.0 and got obliterated in...). I don't really see the point in playing a tournament that I probably don't have a chance of going deep in (4.0) whereas I might actually be able to enjoy playing a at the 3.5 level.

quest01
05-24-2009, 04:42 PM
I'm actually playing in my first USTA league. The person who wanted me to join this league wanted me to join so badly that he paid for my USTA membership and the $20 dollar league fee. I believe the matches are $15 dollars each.

Nanshiki
05-24-2009, 04:45 PM
No... the matches themselves don't cost anything unless you only get to play one match for that 15 dollar league fee (which I ended up doing because I totally bombed my first one and apparently got blackballed by the team).

MrCLEAN
05-24-2009, 06:39 PM
Play to your level. Don't EVER sandbag just so you can "enjoy it more".

Nanshiki
05-24-2009, 07:00 PM
Well, I don't really know what my level is...at least not the level I'd be competitive at. My previous match league results would suggest I'm somewhere between the 3.5 and 4.0 level... although I haven't played enough matches to know for sure. And since I'm in the computer as a 3.5 (self-rating), I should be able to play as a 3.5.

So it wouldn't *really* be sandbagging unless I played 3.0.

goober
05-24-2009, 07:21 PM
Well, I don't really know what my level is...at least not the level I'd be competitive at. My previous match league results would suggest I'm somewhere between the 3.5 and 4.0 level... although I haven't played enough matches to know for sure. And since I'm in the computer as a 3.5 (self-rating), I should be able to play as a 3.5.

So it wouldn't *really* be sandbagging unless I played 3.0.

I hope your tournament experience is better than your league experience. Tournaments are nice in that you know you are going to play and if they have consolations you will get at least 2 matches in.

The downside is that they cost more and you have to set aside usually Friday through Sunday (sometimes even longer) to play just in case you go far.

quest01
05-26-2009, 02:00 PM
No... the matches themselves don't cost anything unless you only get to play one match for that 15 dollar league fee (which I ended up doing because I totally bombed my first one and apparently got blackballed by the team).

That makes sense there is no point in paying if you plan on watching all the matches. During a practice I was lucky I didn't injure myself because as I was running for the ball I tripped on a caterpillar which was walking behind the baseline and I ended up falling on my back. Luckily I didn't injure myself.

bulldawg
05-26-2009, 03:01 PM
Play at your rated level, get your t-shirt, and have fun.

sphinx780
05-26-2009, 03:19 PM
If you are computer rated a 3.5, then go ahead and play the 3.5 tourney. Unless you feel you are rated 3.5 unfairly for some reason and you would kill the competition, then have fun. Of course, if you feel you can compete in the 4.0 tourney then why not put yourself up to the challenge? Sometimes it is simply a change in mentality that can help improve your game...if you make that emotional commitment, you may just surprise yourself.

UnforcedError
05-26-2009, 03:43 PM
Yes start at the 3.5 level if that is what your USTA rating is and move up next time if you win it or maybe get to the finals. Getting the tournament experience and finding ways to overcome different styles of play is important. Sounds to me like you don't know for sure what your level is and it would only be sandbagging in my opinion if you crushed everyone in this tournament and entered the next one at the same level because you still carry the 3.5 rating. I know several people that play up because they can't handle (they lose) to people that don't hit the ball hard enough and then they get beaten easily by people at the higher level. I guess it makes them feel better to lose to better players. I think you should demonstrate you can win at a certain level before moving up.

OrangePower
05-26-2009, 03:55 PM
That makes sense there is no point in paying if you plan on watching all the matches. During a practice I was lucky I didn't injure myself because as I was running for the ball I tripped on a caterpillar which was walking behind the baseline and I ended up falling on my back. Luckily I didn't injure myself.

Must have been the superman of caterpillars. When I step on a caterpillar on the court they just go squish. I'm not even aware of it until I see the smushed caterpillar slime-patch left behind.

zebano
05-27-2009, 12:29 PM
Remember to have fun. I'm not lucky enough to have leagues available like all these other folk but my three tournament weekends per summer are a blast.

subaru3169
05-27-2009, 01:36 PM
Remember to have fun. I'm not lucky enough to have leagues available like all these other folk but my three tournament weekends per summer are a blast.

iowa doesn't have league??

Stewball55
05-31-2009, 12:05 PM
I actually just played in my 1st USTA NTPR 3.5 tourny this weekend. Got past my 1st match and was really nervous in the second match. I ending up losing to a guy I know I could have beaten if we werent playing a tourny. Anyway, how do I find out how many points I earned for playing??

goober
05-31-2009, 12:15 PM
I actually just played in my 1st USTA NTPR 3.5 tourny this weekend. Got past my 1st match and was really nervous in the second match. I ending up losing to a guy I know I could have beaten if we werent playing a tourny. Anyway, how do I find out how many points I earned for playing??

Here is the NTRP ranking for Mens 3.5 NC USTA. It was updated 5/28/09 so you may have to wait until they update it again to see your name.

http://tennislink.usta.com/tournaments/rankings/rankinglists.aspx?id=599201

Stewball55
05-31-2009, 12:18 PM
OK cool thanks...how often do they update?? I actually played in SC, so will I be ranked in NC or SC??

goober
05-31-2009, 03:10 PM
OK cool thanks...how often do they update?? I actually played in SC, so will I be ranked in NC or SC??

I don't know how things specifically work in NC/SC since each USTA section seems to have their own way of doing things. In general, points only count toward the section that the tournament was held in.

Nanshiki
06-01-2009, 04:13 PM
Geez, if someone has a 14-1 record in 3.5 singles...they're probably not a 3.5.

TennisND
06-15-2009, 07:28 AM
What do you get for being a champ in a tournement?

subaru3169
06-15-2009, 10:12 AM
i heard it's just a trophy and improved ranking

zebano
06-15-2009, 10:13 AM
iowa doesn't have league??

They do but the only two teams near me are at a country club and the local indoor courts which cost a boatload just to be a member of.