PDA

View Full Version : Murray admits he expects to lose against Nadal in the Semifinals!

Docalex007
05-24-2009, 09:37 PM
http://sports.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/4568683.cms?TOI_Sports_mostread

Murray says:

"I would expect Rafa to make the final here. I think Roger will probably have some tough matches if he is to make the final."

Hmmm... interesting. I also didn't know Murray was so close to overtaking Roger in the rankings!!! Apparently if Murray makes the semis and Fed loses then Fed goes down to #3???

Joseph L. Barrow
05-24-2009, 10:11 PM
http://sports.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/4568683.cms?TOI_Sports_mostread

Murray says:

Hmmm... interesting. I also didn't know Murray was so close to overtaking Roger in the rankings!!! Apparently if Murray makes the semis and Fed loses then Fed goes down to #3???
Do you mean to say Federer losing at any time in the tournament, even the final, would enable Murray to overtake him with a semifinal finish or better, or that Federer losing at some earlier stage in the tournament would create such an opportunity?

EtePras
05-25-2009, 05:08 AM
How arrogant of him.

Fedexeon
05-25-2009, 05:10 AM
Federer would only lose his No.2 spot if he fails to reach the final and Murray reaches the semifinal.

babbette
05-25-2009, 05:21 AM
Hmm, Murray you have to think about all the matches before that first. This isn't hardcourt.

Pirao
05-25-2009, 05:26 AM
He should be worried about getting to the semis first, that is by no means a guarantee.

Max G.
05-25-2009, 05:27 AM
Hmm, Murray you have to think about all the matches before that first. This isn't hardcourt.

He *is* thinking about all of his other matches before that. Did you read the link?

He never said anything specifically about his match with Nadal. He said "I would expect Rafa to make the final here. I think Roger will probably have some tough matches if he is to make the final." which implicitly means he doesn't expect to get past the semis, but he never said anything specifically about "expecting" to be there. He's taking it one match at a time, and making wild prognostications about other players, not himself.

thejoe
05-25-2009, 05:47 AM
Where does he even say anything about reaching the semis?

carlos djackal
05-25-2009, 06:17 AM
interesting comment from Murray.....but he could be jinxing rafa......

Dutch-Guy
05-25-2009, 06:33 AM
Mind gamse or is that just modesty? Me think he wants to take the pressure off of him.

malakas
05-25-2009, 06:57 AM
Mind games,and seems really eager to overtake Fed but hopefully this Cassandra will be proved wrong.

aceroberts13
05-25-2009, 07:34 AM
I think he's just staying humble. After all, Rafa has earned mad respect from everyone at this tournament. Murray would just get blasted by the media and this board if he went around saying he expected to win this tournament or defeat Nadal to make it into the final. He's just staying modest and trying not to get ahead of himself. Nothing more, nothing less.

batz
05-25-2009, 07:41 AM
Federer would only lose his No.2 spot if he fails to reach the final and Murray reaches the semifinal.

Whilst that is certainly one scenario, any combination of results that sees Murray get 210 more points @ RG than Roger would see him take the world number 2 slot. Murray could for example take the number 2 slot if Roger only made R3 and Murray made QF.

LanceStern
05-25-2009, 10:41 AM
I think that's just Murray being humble.

But Federers' draw is really easy, I don't see too many close matches coming. except maybe Roddick and Djokovic if they make it to the AFs and SFs.

Underhand
05-25-2009, 11:00 AM
Murray is clever like a fox.

Leublu tennis
05-25-2009, 11:38 AM
How arrogant of him.Thats Murray. Remember he said he would be #1 at the end of the year.

batz
05-25-2009, 11:50 AM
Thats Murray. Remember he said he would be #1 at the end of the year.

No he didn't. He said something along the lines of that if he maintained x and y service and return game percentages he'd be world number one - not the same thing; not even close. But then again, you never let facts get in the way of your Murray bashing - right?

Conquistador
05-25-2009, 11:52 AM
I think Murray has a shot at beating Nadal. Murray is a great defensive player--and if it doesnt rain--he has the best shot at beating Nadal--other than that roger guy.

maximo
05-25-2009, 11:53 AM
Thats Murray. Remember he said he would be #1 at the end of the year.

Your nothing more than a troll.

batz
05-25-2009, 11:57 AM
I think Murray has a shot at beating Nadal. Murray is a great defensive player--and if it doesnt rain--he has the best shot at beating Nadal--other than that roger guy.

If I'm honest I think Murray needs to take even a set off Rafa before anyone can consider him to be a serious threat. Would love it if I was wrong.

Leublu tennis
05-25-2009, 12:18 PM

I also didn't know Murray was so close to overtaking Roger in the rankings!!! Apparently if Murray makes the semis and Fed loses then Fed goes down to #3??? Fed has 10470 points and is defending 1400, while Murray has 9020 and must defend 150. So if Murray gets to the semis, he will have 9020 + 720 - 150 = 9590. If Federer only gets to the quarters, he will have 10470 + 360 - 1400 = 9430. So Murray is #2.

But Murray next faces Starace. Then either Lopez or Tipsarevic. After that either Stepanek or Cilic. He has a rough road ahead of him and its way to early to speak of getting to the semis.

IvanAndreevich
05-25-2009, 12:24 PM

I highly doubt that's possible. Murray's defense is quite ineffective on clay, as seen in his match against Del Potro. Besides, it's best of 5. Murray has to be aggressive or he will get very very tired.

tangerine
05-25-2009, 12:54 PM
Murray will lose a lot sooner before he reaches Nadal. :p

tacou
05-25-2009, 01:39 PM

that's not a completely outrageous outcome, by any means.

All-rounder
05-25-2009, 02:46 PM
Murray expects to lose to nadal the same way I expects murray not to make it to the semi's :)

Cesc Fabregas
05-25-2009, 02:54 PM

Nah this isn't hardcourts Murray's movement on clay has improved but still not up to scratch to trouble Nadal on clay plus Murray has too play agressive tennis all the way through the match something he is not comfortable doing.