PDA

View Full Version : nadals serve - the most improved shot in the last year

manny pacquiao P4P king
05-25-2009, 12:12 AM
i remember the days where he would just roll it over the net, now he can put abit of pace and spin on it.

he gets alot of 1st serve's in, and is very consistent, especially last year when i think he came 4th with 70 % and making his serve effective on the fast courts (something like that anyways), and can put in some good serves at important times.

He can now hit a few aces and get free points, or even kick out wide to set the point up - which probably explains why he holds more than ever, if you continually mix things up then you'll keep your opponent off guard - and nadal does that.

i dont think it's top 5 - roddick,karlovic,isner,djokovic,tsonga.........but i would say top 15 (maybe better) , especially on grass (and other fast surfaces where a good serve goes a long way)

outta the 'big 4', i would say djokovic has the best serve, federer & murray's serve can be either very good or just terrible - whilst nadal's stays consistent (fed's serve has been good of late - but it won't last).

EtePras
05-25-2009, 01:14 AM
Definitely not top 15, but at least as good as Federer's. In the past Federer had the power, while Nadal had the placement and spin, but the AO stats showed that Nadal has just as much power now.

sh@de
05-25-2009, 01:54 AM
Definitely not top 15, but at least as good as Federer's. In the past Federer had the power, while Nadal had the placement and spin, but the AO stats showed that Nadal has just as much power now.

Eh? I thought Federer's serve was about placement and spin, not power. He definitely doesn't have as fast a serve as Roddick, Karlovic etc...

Ross K
05-25-2009, 02:06 AM
Anyone got a decent Nadal serve vid by any chance? Youknow seems to have wiped many. Thanks - R.

aphex
05-25-2009, 02:31 AM

http://immagini.p2pforum.it/out.php/i91246_towelie.jpg

Dilettante
05-25-2009, 02:39 AM

C'mon guy, don't be ridiculous, Federer's serve is just MUCH better, there's not question.

BTW, I think Nadal's serve is the most improved shot I've seen in recent years .

grafselesfan
05-25-2009, 03:06 AM

Either a huge troll or a huge fool. Federer's serve "placement" is miles better than Nadal's. Federer's serve is also a top 5 serve today (would be lower in the 90s which had a better serving field) unless he is way off with it. I like Nadal alot more than Federer as well, but some of the ridiculous statements I am reading around here these days are comical.

grafselesfan
05-25-2009, 03:07 AM
C'mon guy, don't be ridiculous, Federer's serve is just MUCH better, there's not question.

BTW, I think Nadal's serve is the most improved shot I've seen in recent years .

Agreed. (10 char.)

manny pacquiao P4P king
05-25-2009, 03:18 AM
Either a huge troll or a huge fool. Federer's serve "placement" is miles better than Nadal's. Federer's serve is also a top 5 serve today (would be lower in the 90s which had a better serving field) unless he is way off with it. I like Nadal alot more than Federer as well, but some of the ridiculous statements I am reading around here these days are comical.

im neither - i dislike both players (nad & fed), but i can appreciate both lpayers games. shut up and show your maturity

sh@de
05-25-2009, 04:50 AM
im neither - i dislike both players (nad & fed), but i can appreciate both lpayers games. shut up and show your maturity

He wasn't even talking to you... and I agree that Fed's serve is damn good, I'd say it's better than Djoker's or Murray's. His second serve is some serious stuff.

P_Agony
05-25-2009, 05:12 AM
i remember the days where he would just roll it over the net, now he can put abit of pace and spin on it.

he gets alot of 1st serve's in, and is very consistent, especially last year when i think he came 4th with 70 % and making his serve effective on the fast courts (something like that anyways), and can put in some good serves at important times.

He can now hit a few aces and get free points, or even kick out wide to set the point up - which probably explains why he holds more than ever, if you continually mix things up then you'll keep your opponent off guard - and nadal does that.

i dont think it's top 5 - roddick,karlovic,isner,djokovic,tsonga.........but i would say top 15 (maybe better) , especially on grass (and other fast surfaces where a good serve goes a long way)

outta the 'big 4', i would say djokovic has the best serve, federer & murray's serve can be either very good or just terrible - whilst nadal's stays consistent (fed's serve has been good of late - but it won't last).

Federer's serve is IMO the best serve on tour aside of Karlovic.

tudwell
05-25-2009, 05:54 AM
I remember seeing stats comparing the 2008 and 2007 Wimbledon finals. Nadal's average serve speed was about the same.

rafan
05-25-2009, 06:35 AM
Nadal's serve is never predictable and often he can lose on his service game but wow what he does with his ground strokes makes is another thing. However when the going gets tough the serve evolves into something else and he is amazing

Andyk028
05-25-2009, 06:41 AM
I think I remember Brad Gilbert say that Nadal's serve was clocking 140 at Wimby last year. Then again that's Brad Gilbert hahaha.

Breaker
05-25-2009, 07:11 AM
Federer's serve is IMO the best serve on tour aside of Karlovic.

I don't see how it could possibly be better than Tsonga, Roddick, Guccione, or Isner right now.

DarthFed
05-25-2009, 07:13 AM
I don't see how it could possibly be better than Tsonga, Roddick, Guccione, or Isner right now.

Tsonga? really

Breaker
05-25-2009, 07:16 AM
Tsonga is better or equal with Federer in every significant serving category - as well as getting more free points off of his first serve

http://www.atpworldtour.com/tennis/en/players/matchfacts/

P_Agony
05-25-2009, 07:18 AM

Maybe not in the recent weeks, but until late 2008, he had more aces (outside of Roddick), less DFs, better placement, better variety. Federer's 2nd serve is also quite a monster.

tennisplaya
05-25-2009, 07:21 AM
he needs to increase his 2nd serve speed, it only averages 140k/hr or less

Gorecki
05-25-2009, 07:25 AM
it certainly improved a lot... not sure if the most improved shot in atp's last year but no doubts it improved quite a bit!

RoddickAce
05-25-2009, 07:26 AM
What about Verdasco's backhand? I think that has improved the most actually.

egn
05-25-2009, 07:27 AM
I am sorry but Fed has definitely one of the best serves on the tour Nadal is far from that. Nadal's serve is good but it is definitely not amazing, Feds serve is a weapon for him..Nadal's serve is not. Nadal is probably not even top 15 off hand the following guys have a far better serve in my opinion Fed, Roddick, Karlovic, Isner, Tsonga, Djokovic, Guccione, Cilic, Querrey, Ancic..and thats just off hand also throw in Safin etc. with research you can easily dig up a ton of people who have a better serve than Nadal.

aphex
05-25-2009, 08:06 AM

you just lost all credibility-just be quiet

aceroberts13
05-25-2009, 08:10 AM

Any particular reason you had to call him out twice? sad...

Nadal_Freak
05-25-2009, 08:16 AM
Fed fans always have to bring Federer into Nadal topics. Yawn.

Serve_Ace
05-25-2009, 08:16 AM

he never had credibility to start

TheTruth
05-25-2009, 08:31 AM
Fed fans always have to bring Federer into Nadal topics. Yawn.

And then accuse Nadal fans of the same thing.

Sorry, but it's true.

DarthFed
05-25-2009, 08:33 AM
And then accuse Nadal fans of the same thing.

Sorry, but it's true.

Definitely, on both accounts...you guys do the same