PDA

View Full Version : Nadal's dismal game:rate it on a scale of 1-10

Dutch-Guy
05-25-2009, 05:57 AM
He dropped 12 games and got broken 3 times by that qualy.
But i expect him to raise his game in the next rounds.
I give him a 5.
What about you.

SmAsH999
05-25-2009, 06:04 AM
6, i don't expect him to go all out against a qualifier in the first round. he'd do just enough to beat him comfortably.

Docalex007
05-25-2009, 06:11 AM
That was a very bad performance indeed. I'm not so sure he will raise is game enough as the tournament only gets harder.

Not looking good for Nadal and his fanboys.

Dutch-Guy
05-25-2009, 06:11 AM
6, i don't expect him to go all out against a qualifier in the first round. he'd do just enough to beat him comfortably.

He should have finish him off quickly so that he could have a long rest.But whatever.He still won.

Dutch-Guy
05-25-2009, 06:12 AM
That was a very bad performance indeed. I'm not so sure he will raise is game enough as the tournament only gets harder.

Delusional from you.Wait until he meets the big guys...

babbette
05-25-2009, 06:20 AM

settle down! :p

Rafa always starts slow and gets better as the days go. It's all about the sensations. 8)

When it will get tougher he will bring out the weapons.

kimizz
05-25-2009, 06:38 AM
Pretty much what I expected, I rate 6. I really cant remember when Rafa would have played well in the first round of RG. Besides "it takes two to tango" :) so its not that easy to shine against a qualifier.

Last year it was bellucci and Rafa really struggled in the first set, I think one year he played del potro in the first round and had some trouble in that match too...but we all know how those tournaments ended ;)

tudwell
05-25-2009, 06:39 AM
Nadal's doing pretty well, I think, considering how exhausted he is.

rafan
05-25-2009, 06:41 AM
I sometimes think it could be a tactic to be slow at first. I have seen this before somehow

P_Agony
05-25-2009, 07:06 AM
It was a 6.

Not a bad performence but a bit sleepy at times. Typical 1st round for top players. He should be fine in the next rounds.

Dutch-Guy
05-25-2009, 07:07 AM
Nadal's doing pretty well, I think, considering how exhausted he is.

Still "exhausted"? Madrid was 1 week ago man.

jmverdugo
05-25-2009, 07:10 AM
So he has to win everything 0 0 0? come on give some credit to his opponents ...

carlos djackal
05-25-2009, 07:12 AM
i'd rate it at 5.........he looks tired, didn't moved very well and has way too many errors for his standard at FO, If he cannot pick his game up, he'd be in trouble........

drakulie
05-25-2009, 07:17 AM
Murray is half of the draw is looking really easy with guys like wawrinka, and nadal in it.

Cesc Fabregas
05-25-2009, 07:29 AM
Murray is half of the draw is looking really easy with guys like wawrinka, and nadal in it.

Nah Djokovic has it easier with that clown Federer in his draw.

Solomon
05-25-2009, 07:50 AM
Nah Djokovic has it easier with that clown Federer in his draw.

Last time I checked, 13 is a bigger number than 6:lol:

egn
05-25-2009, 07:57 AM
Last time I checked, 13 is a bigger number than 6:lol:

4 is also bigger than 0.

bolo
05-25-2009, 08:10 AM
rate the game a 7. The other guy played well, but nadal took over starting around the middle of the 2nd.

OddJack
05-25-2009, 08:33 AM
This is no match for rating, but here is what I noticed... He's having problem with his right knee and he is hiding it. He put his right hand on it several times. He did not appear in 100% shape.

Nadal_Freak
05-25-2009, 08:34 AM
Typical Nadal first round match at RG. Doing just enough to win. The courts were very lively. I think a little rain could help Nadal get in his comfort zone. Balls are flying right now.

OddJack
05-25-2009, 08:36 AM
Typical Nadal first round match at RG. Doing just enough to win. The courts were very lively. I think a little rain could help Nadal get in his comfort zone. Balls are flying right now.

You forgot the wind. Remember he needs three elements, wind, cloud and the moon in correct position.

egn
05-25-2009, 08:36 AM
Wasn't that dismal..he didn't drop a set. I give it a 6 leaning towards a 7..it wasn't a great performance but he proved that he played a very good return of serve I mean count the amount of times he broke his opponent and he had a lot of good shots going from the baseline. He was a bit rough on the serve, but than it was the first round of a slam and he needs to get into the swing of things. I would have been more worried if he dropped a set than this would be noteworthy.

Nadal_Freak
05-25-2009, 08:39 AM
This is no match for rating, but here is what I noticed... He's having problem with his right knee and he is hiding it. He put his right hand on it several times. He did not appear in 100% shape.
I don't think his knee is an issue. It's just that Madrid hurt his confidence that he now has to regain somehow. Ridiculous that tournament in altitude is a week before the French Open.

OddJack
05-25-2009, 08:45 AM
I don't think his knee is an issue. It's just that Madrid hurt his confidence that he now has to regain somehow. Ridiculous that tournament in altitude is a week before the French Open.

You must be kidding, his loss at Madrid has no effect on his confidence whatsoever, if anything it will make him work even harder.

And I am getting tired of that altitiude thing, there is only about 1700 feet dfference in the altitude compared to paris which is no big deal at all.

Nadal_Freak
05-25-2009, 08:46 AM
You must be kidding, his loss at Madrid has no effect on his confidence whatsoever, if anything it will make him work even harder.

And I am getting tired of that altitiude thing, there is only about 1700 feet dfference in the altitude compared to paris which is no big deal at all.
I think I'll take Nadal's word over yours. Thank you very much.

OddJack
05-25-2009, 08:49 AM
warm weather can have the same effect as that much altitude would've had.
So yeah, keep praying for clouds and rain and wind blowing from Nadal to his opponents.

Mansewerz
05-25-2009, 08:51 AM
Roger didn't play that well either. Come on, it's the first round. did you guys think they would strain themselves? Now simon had a horrible first round.

Nadal_Freak
05-25-2009, 08:51 AM
warm weather can have the same effect as that much altitude would've had.
So yeah, keep praying for clouds and rain and wind blowing from Nadal to his opponents.
It was warm and dry as well in Madrid. It would have to be like 100 degrees in paris and 10% humidity for the ball to bounce like it did in Madrid.

OddJack
05-25-2009, 08:54 AM
No, Nadal played very impressive... as I said in my first post here this was no match for rating because what really mattered was straight set win.

But dont be surprised if his knee gives him trouble in his next couple of matches. I thought he was nursing it a little bit.

drakulie
05-25-2009, 09:17 AM
You forgot the wind. Remember he needs three elements, wind, cloud and the moon in correct position.

he also has to be playing exhausted.

Nadal_Freak
05-25-2009, 09:19 AM
No, Nadal played very impressive... as I said in my first post here this was no match for rating because what really mattered was straight set win.

But dont be surprised if his knee gives him trouble in his next couple of matches. I thought he was nursing it a little bit.
Maybe you mistakened it with Nadal saving his energy. No need to go all out in your first round match. It's a marathon. Not a sprint.

JoshDragon
05-25-2009, 09:19 AM
Nadal is going to win this tournament. Remember he hasn't lost a set at the French in nearly two years June 10th, 2007, was the last time.

Solomon
05-25-2009, 09:23 AM
Nadal should really work on his endurance.

TheTruth
05-25-2009, 09:25 AM
Roger didn't play that well either. Come on, it's the first round. did you guys think they would strain themselves? Now simon had a horrible first round.

And they usually don't, but somehow like every past year they keep getting better round by round. I'm sure neither one were quaking in their boots about playing Daniel and A.Martin.

Nadal_Freak
05-25-2009, 09:28 AM
Nadal should really work on his endurance.
You should learn to know something about tennis.

GameSampras
05-25-2009, 09:29 AM
Nadal will be alright. Afterall, he doesnt have to deal with Djoker before the finals. He should be able to cakewalk through decently and have a lot of gas left in the tank come finals time whereas Djoker and Fed will prolly battle it out.

drakulie
05-25-2009, 09:35 AM

LMAO! from your own testimony, you don't even play, and you tell someone else to learn something about tennis. MOMO.

Nadal_Freak
05-25-2009, 09:37 AM
LMAO! from your own testimony, you don't even play, and you tell someone else to learn something about tennis. MOMO.
I watch a lot of tennis though as well as what the players mention. Amazing how much you can learn without even picking up a racquet. And I used to play a lot. Frustrating sport. lol

OddJack
05-25-2009, 09:38 AM
Nadal will be alright. Afterall, he doesnt have to deal with Djoker before the finals. He should be able to cakewalk through decently and have a lot of gas left in the tank come finals time whereas Djoker and Fed will prolly battle it out.

Federer Djoker is the real final

The-Champ
05-25-2009, 09:39 AM

I don't know how accurate this information is but according to the Swedish commentators today (for Eurosport), Rafa took cortisone shots for his knees after his match against Djokovic in Madrid. I think his knees are troubling him again. Hope he can recover from that, otherwise he can say goodbye to Roland Garros and Wimbledon.

drakulie
05-25-2009, 09:39 AM
I watch a lot of tennis though as well as what the players mention. Amazing how much you can learn without even picking up a racquet. And I used to play a lot. Frustrating sport. lol

Playing and watching pong :

http://www.gamerdna.com/uimage/du6mJH/large/pong-gif.gif (http://www.gamerdna.com/uimage/du6mJH/full/pong-gif.gif)

doesn't translate to knowing anything about tennis.

NamRanger
05-25-2009, 09:41 AM
It was warm and dry as well in Madrid. It would have to be like 100 degrees in paris and 10% humidity for the ball to bounce like it did in Madrid.

You sir, are not the sharpest knife in the book when it comes to physics. Don't try and make guesses when you have absolutely no idea about what you are talking about.

Nadal_Freak
05-25-2009, 09:44 AM

http://www.gamerdna.com/uimage/du6mJH/large/pong-gif.gif (http://www.gamerdna.com/uimage/du6mJH/full/pong-gif.gif)

When you see players having success with a certain type of game plan over and over, you are learning about tennis. Then you see what other players try to do to counter it. The more tennis you watch, the more you understand the game.

IvanAndreevich
05-25-2009, 09:47 AM
When you see players having success with a certain type of game plan over and over, you are learning about tennis. Then you see what other players try to do to counter it. The more tennis you watch, the more you understand the game.

Yes and no. The only way to get a deep understanding of tennis is to pick up a tennis racquet and play at as high level as you are capable of. Then you start to get a whole different perspective.

OddJack
05-25-2009, 09:50 AM

Looks like a match between the Nfreak and veroniquem.

Nadal_Freak
05-25-2009, 09:51 AM
Yes and no. The only way to get a deep understanding of tennis is to pick up a tennis racquet and play at as high level as you are capable of. Then you start to get a whole different perspective.
We are not capable of pulling off that high level of tennis. Not all of us are physically gifted athletically. Yes I can see why you think you can gain more understanding but it's limited to your potential by itself. I played tennis off and on for 10 years until my physical limits came. I hurt my shoulder and knee.

drakulie
05-25-2009, 09:53 AM

Let me know when the player with 12 points catches up to the player with 15. Also, provide a full review of what tactical changes he made to catch up.

OddJack
05-25-2009, 10:03 AM
here is even a clue for you Nfreak:

This match is being played at sea level, no altitude.

IvanAndreevich
05-25-2009, 10:04 AM
We are not capable of pulling off that high level of tennis. Not all of us are physically gifted athletically. Yes I can see why you think you can gain more understanding but it's limited to your potential by itself. I played tennis off and on for 10 years until my physical limits came. I hurt my shoulder and knee.

It's easy to say that you are incapable if you don't work hard and train. If you do, I think everyone can reach 4.5. That's high enough to start understanding pro matches at a whole different level based completely on your on-court experience. I am not saying it's the ultimate level, but it's much much better than you can attain simply by watching.

Nadal_Freak
05-25-2009, 10:11 AM
It's easy to say that you are incapable if you don't work hard and train. If you do, I think everyone can reach 4.5. That's high enough to start understanding pro matches at a whole different level based completely on your on-court experience. I am not saying it's the ultimate level, but it's much much better than you can attain simply by watching.
Probably true but I broke down physically. Too much alcohol and poor mechanics probably were the downfall for me. My serve in particular had bad form. I preferred longer points to get in a rhythm. I did get to 4.0's though.

drakulie
05-25-2009, 10:13 AM
^^^stop talking to other posters. You are suppose to be viewing the match, and providing us a full report:

Nadal_Freak
05-25-2009, 10:14 AM
^^^stop talking to other posters. You are suppose to be viewing the match, and providing us a full report:

Stop spamming.

Dutch-Guy
05-25-2009, 10:18 AM
Some Fed fans have hijacked this thread.

All-rounder
05-25-2009, 10:22 AM
Federer Djoker is the real final
Probably true because this is the first time they can potentially play each other at RG and the outcome can swing either way

Nadal_Freak
05-25-2009, 10:22 AM
Some Fed fans have hijacked this thread.
Drakulie is jealous he didn't get the award for GTOAT.

Dutch-Guy
05-25-2009, 10:23 AM
Drakulie is jealous he didn't get the award for GTOAT.

Why does he need that award for?

drakulie
05-25-2009, 10:24 AM
Stop spamming.

Here is a different angle:

http://www.animationbuddy.com/Animation/Sports/Tennis_and_Ping-Pong/tennis_2.gif

tudwell
05-25-2009, 10:27 AM
Still "exhausted"? Madrid was 1 week ago man.

I'm just going with the ever-knowledgeable Nadal fans on this one. Apparently, a week of rest wasn't enough between Rome and Madrid, so why would it be enough between Madrid and Roland Garros?

If you disagree, I suggest you take it up with people who have "Nadal" in their username.

IvanAndreevich
05-25-2009, 10:28 AM
Probably true but I broke down physically. Too much alcohol and poor mechanics probably were the downfall for me. My serve in particular had bad form. I preferred longer points to get in a rhythm. I did get to 4.0's though.
Come on man. You are 26 years old, right? If you hit the gym, increase your flexibility, and do some running there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to recover.

Download some instructional videos and fix the serve maybe with some tips from the Tennis Tips/Instruction section. Of course I don't know how serious your injuries are, but I doubt they would be so horrendous. It all comes down to wanting it.

I know one guy who has a very very serious physical condition. But it has never kept him off the court. Furthermore, he has never used it as an excuse for any loss.

Nadal_Freak
05-25-2009, 10:30 AM
It hurts my shoulder just thinking about hitting a tennis ball. Sorry. I'm done with tennis or get surgery to fix it. It actually hurts my shoulder to type.

Dutch-Guy
05-25-2009, 10:30 AM
I'm just going with the ever-knowledgeable Nadal fans on this one. Apparently, a week of rest wasn't enough between Rome and Madrid, so why would it be enough between Madrid and Roland Garros?
As you know i'm a Rafa supporter too but the "exhausted" reason is pure BS.

If you disagree, I suggest you take it up with people who have "Nadal" in their username
Hahaha throwing stones at Nadal_Freak and Rafan:)

rafan
05-25-2009, 10:34 AM
Come on man. You are 26 years old, right? If you hit the gym, increase your flexibility, and do some running there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to recover.

Download some instructional videos and fix the serve maybe with some tips from the Tennis Tips/Instruction section. Of course I don't know how serious your injuries are, but I doubt they would be so horrendous. It all comes down to wanting it.

I know one guy who has a very very serious physical condition. But it has never kept him off the court. Furthermore, he has never used it as an excuse for any loss.

I guess James Blake is a good example of this

Solomon
05-25-2009, 10:52 AM

If he had better fitness he wouldn't have been soooo "exhausted" for the Madrid final.

bolo
05-25-2009, 10:58 AM
It hurts my shoulder just thinking about hitting a tennis ball. Sorry. I'm done with tennis or get surgery to fix it. It actually hurts my shoulder to type.

rotator cuff? those can be painful I hear.

manny pacquiao P4P king
05-25-2009, 11:01 AM
he won, when i watch roddick now i just want him to win, forget how well he played.

would you rather watch your favourite player play a great match and lose or watch him play like trash and win, i know which one i would pick

skip1969
05-25-2009, 11:08 AM
you guys are hilarious. one first-round match and, pow!

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/198/448665548_b4537c7c0d.jpg?v=0

lemme ask you something . . . have you ever played a match where not everything was clicking . . . you were ok, but nothing spectacular. in the end, you won and that's all that mattered. next round, you played lights out . . .

believe me when i tell you that if it can happen to you . . . it can happen to the best player on the planet.

Solomon
05-25-2009, 11:14 AM
you guys are hilarious. one first-round match and, pow!

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/198/448665548_b4537c7c0d.jpg?v=0

lemme ask you something . . . have you ever played a match where not everything was clicking . . . you were ok, but nothing spectacular. in the end, you won and that's all that mattered. next round, you played lights out . . .

believe me when i tell you that if it can happen to you . . . it can happen to the best player on the planet.

It didn't happen to Federer in the first round, what are you talking about?

skip1969
05-25-2009, 11:19 AM
It didn't happen to Federer in the first round, what are you talking about?
i was throwing that out as a for instance . . .

and the thread is about nadal's first round, not fed's. you know nadal, right? the best player on the planet?

tennisplaya
05-25-2009, 11:42 AM
I give it 10/10 for the routine straight sets victory. You don't expect to 'peak like crazy' in the first week, as Federer says.

The match ended in about a 20 point differential but when I checked the stats near the end at 5-1 in the 3rd set, the points were 96 to Nadal and 66 to Daniel, the same as what Federer's match ended up with.

bolo
05-25-2009, 11:49 AM
I give it 10/10 for the routine straight sets victory. You don't expect to 'peak like crazy' in the first week, as Federer says.

The match ended in about a 20 point differential but when I checked the stats near the end at 5-1 in the 3rd set, the points were 96 to Nadal and 66 to Daniel, the same as what Federer's match ended up with.

nadal came out slow (w/ue were about the same for both in the first set) but dominated starting in the middle of the 2nd, just took over for a stretch there. Federer/martin played at the same level more or less the whole match.

NamRanger
05-25-2009, 11:50 AM

Really? Is that why you have one of the highest average posts per day?

bolo
05-25-2009, 11:52 AM
Really? Is that why you have one of the highest average posts per day?

lol. 10 char. :)

sillymonkey
05-25-2009, 12:59 PM
this is a hater thread.

IvanAndreevich
05-25-2009, 01:09 PM

Holy crap. What have you got going on there?

OddJack
05-25-2009, 01:10 PM
We'll know his rating by Wed morning. Who is his nex oppo by the way?

NamRanger
05-25-2009, 01:16 PM
Holy crap. What have you got going on there?

Smells like bullcrap to me.

Solomon
05-25-2009, 01:50 PM
i was throwing that out as a for instance . . .

and the thread is about nadal's first round, not fed's. you know federer, right? the best player on the planet?

Fixed.
10 char

feetofclay
05-25-2009, 01:53 PM
It was imo a usual first round match. Nothing more, nothing less. Just as a matter of interest Federer has played against Daniel once. The result 7-6, 6-4. in Federer's favour.This match was on a hard court.

jelle v
05-25-2009, 03:15 PM
I still think his backhand looks of.. or off.. don't know which is the correct expression in this case. :confused:

oneleggedcardinal
05-25-2009, 03:19 PM
I still think his backhand looks of.. or off.. don't know which is the correct expression in this case. :confused:

It would be 'looks off.' Anyway, I wish I was as good at writing in another language as you are at writing in English.

volleynets
05-25-2009, 03:19 PM

I hope this didn't happen from trying to hit the ball like Nadal.:(
Maybe try to go to the gym and take a few lessons to start again?:)

jelle v
05-25-2009, 03:39 PM
It would be 'looks off.' Anyway, I wish I was as good at writing in another language as you are at writing in English.

Thanks for the compliment and clearing it up for me. Here in the Netherlands most people speak/write their native language and English reasonably well, because English is mandatory on school until the age of 16/17/18 depending on your level of education. I would even say that English is a much more sensible language than Dutch. :mrgreen: I do not know where you live, but what I am jealous about, is that a lot of Americans seem to speak Spanish pretty well..