PDA

View Full Version : Spring Recruiting Class Rankings

dallasoliver
05-25-2009, 07:46 AM
Happy Memorial Day!

The NCAA D1 singles and doubles titles are contested today, but we also have the first installment of our Spring Recruiting Class Rankings at TennisRecruiting.net. Have a look at the men's rankings:

http://www.tennisrecruiting.net/article.asp?id=541

The women's rankings will be out next Monday, June 1st.

Hope you enjoy them... people always seem to attack or defend them.

Best,
Dallas

ClarkC
05-25-2009, 05:30 PM
Thanks for putting this together. Because polls are subjective, I don't always agree with the ranmings, but they are good to see.

In particular, the voters often seem to not know how to evaluate the foreign recruits. If you line up the four Stanford recruits and the four Virginia recruits, you see:

Kandath (#8 ) vs. Jenkins (#2)
Lin (#18 ) vs. Uriguen
Kehrer (#26) vs. Dell 'Orto
Ecker (3-star) vs Fang (5-star)

Uriguen is a hair behind Jarmere Jenkins, if that. He has been as high as #6 in ITF, well ahead of Lin in ITF.

So, Virginia is ahead of the Stanford recruits at the 1,2, and 4 positions on the list, leaving a difficult comparison between Kehrer and a foreign recruit. Hard to picture that Stanford can finish ahead of Virginia when you line up the four recruits this way.

dallasoliver
05-25-2009, 06:12 PM
In particular, the voters often seem to not know how to evaluate the foreign recruits.

Unlike other polls (which might determine who gets into post-season play, etc.), recruiting class rankings are only for fun. There is obviously no penalty for Virginia for being second to Stanford in this poll. (Unlike, say, what happened to the Virginia baseball team in its NCAA tournament assignment.)

While they are only for fun, we do these rankings to (1) drum up interest for junior and college tennis, (2) provide a tangible link between junior and college tennis (of which there are too few, in my opinion), (3) promote the TennisRecruiting.net brand, and, (4) have fun - because we have a lot of fun doing them.

We invite about 30 tournament directors, referees, and journalists who are already involved with junior tennis - people who care about these kids and already invest a lot of time - to submit votes. Many of these folks are busy running tournaments or other things, and we usually get between 12 and 20 submissions.

For the voting itself... we provide a lot of information to the voters, but we do not tell them how they should vote. Ranking a recruiting class for college tennis can be tough and is (obviously) very subjective. There seem to be many different philosophies used by our voters.

As to your point about Stanford vs. Virginia for the top spot... FWIW, more than half of our voters agreed with you - 9 out of 16 put Virginia at #1. And while I didn't vote, I would have done the same - I think Uriguen is right there with Jenkins.

Best,
Dallas

tennislife22
05-31-2009, 11:47 AM
virginia should be one, but there's going to be bias in a poll done by Americans, so thats why stanford is still at the top

OleNole
06-15-2009, 07:37 PM
I just noticed this, but tennisrecruiting.net is saying that Henrique Cunha is commited to Duke. If this is true (and I thought he turned pro so it might be a mistake) I'd think that addition alone would give Duke at least a top 12 class. USC is ranked 13 with just JT Sundling, and Cunha, who I believe was as high as 4 in the world junior rankings at one point, is a better player than Sundling.
Is it that this commitment simply came too late to be accounted for by the spring rankings?

Also weighing in on the UVa/Stanford discussion, I too would have put UVa first on the strength of the Uriguen commit. Perhaps I'm overvaluing the foreign players rather than undervaluing them as Clark seems to imply the voters have done.

dallasoliver
06-16-2009, 03:17 AM
I just noticed this, but tennisrecruiting.net is saying that Henrique Cunha is commited to Duke. If this is true (and I thought he turned pro so it might be a mistake) I'd think that addition alone would give Duke at least a top 12 class. USC is ranked 13 with just JT Sundling, and Cunha, who I believe was as high as 4 in the world junior rankings at one point, is a better player than Sundling.
Is it that this commitment simply came too late to be accounted for by the spring rankings?

Unfortunately,the Cunha commitment was not reported or official until after the spring rankings were published. If we do another ranking in the summer, Duke will show up.

This is an inherent problem with doing these rankings... when to do them? Commitments continue to trickle in over the summer because the signing period lasts until August - and many players - international and domestic - make commitments all Fall to play in January. (Many took a semester off... or graduate in January... etc.) On the other hand, recruiting season has really started for the top players in the Class of 2010 now, and we want to move on from covering the graduates to covering the rising seniors.

We decided that our Spring rankings pick up the vast majority of American players and a great number of international players as well. And timing them in May/June allows us to move on to the next class in the summer.

Best,
Dallas

killR4hand
07-03-2009, 09:39 PM
I've already read some articles at TRN of 2010 players already making there commitments.

So when will the 2010 commitment lists come out?

tennismom42
07-04-2009, 05:36 AM
I've already read some articles at TRN of 2010 players already making there commitments.

So when will the 2010 commitment lists come out?
Div 1 coaches couldn't even talk talk to kids in class of 2010 until July 1 (3 days ago). Offers & LOIs don't even go out until beg. of Nov (early commitment), then again early April 2010 (main commitment).

So a commitment list for 2010 does not event exist for a long time

killR4hand
07-04-2009, 08:46 AM
Div 1 coaches couldn't even talk talk to kids in class of 2010 until July 1 (3 days ago). Offers & LOIs don't even go out until beg. of Nov (early commitment), then again early April 2010 (main commitment).

So a commitment list for 2010 does not event exist for a long time

Recruits can initiate contact with the coaches and take unofficial visits as early as their high school sophomore years.

The commitment list is made up of recruits that have indicated verbals on TRN. Many 2010 players have already given verbals. TRN just has to compile a list by linking together the info that's in their system.

killR4hand
07-05-2009, 04:49 PM
On the other hand, recruiting season has really started for the top players in the Class of 2010 now, and we want to move on from covering the graduates to covering the rising seniors.

We decided that our Spring rankings pick up the vast majority of American players and a great number of international players as well. And timing them in May/June allows us to move on to the next class in the summer.

Best,
Dallas
Shouldn't your coverage of the rising seniors include creating a class of 2010 verbal commitment list?

I noticed today on TRN girls 2010 #23 ranked Elizabeth Begley listed a verbal commitment to Texas.

Auburn has already received verbals from 2010 5 star Jacqueline Kasler, 2010 5 star Julia Courter and 2010 5 star Emily Newton. When a team like Auburn has ALREADY COMPLETED their recruiting for the 2010 HS senior class, isn't the creation of a 2010 verbal commitment list way past due? :oops:

Here is a partial list of what that TRN girls class of 2010 verbal commitment list would look like.

Danielle Lao - USC
Courtney Dolehide - UCLA
Kate Fuller - Georgia
Millie Nichols - Tennessee
Jacqueline Kasler - Auburn
Elizabeth Begley - Texas
Whitney Ritchie - Oklahoma
Julia Courter - Auburn
Haley Fournier - Texas Tech
Charlotte Calhoun - SMU
Emily Newton - Auburn
Lea Jansen - Washington State
Maddie Kobelt - Syracuse
Jessica Podlofsky - Syracuse
Brittney Morgan - Howard
Nicole Chiricosta - Bowling Green

So if TRN compiled a list today it's not like the list would just include 1 player. I hope a boys & girls class of 2010 verbal commitment list is created soon so TRN doesn't gain the perception that it is dragging it's feet. My impression of TRN has been that they supply the breaking news, that you find out about verbals from TRN first. I don't want that TRN impression of breaking news to change into one of being slow to act.

dallasoliver
07-06-2009, 01:00 AM
We actually have commitment lists for all the younger classes, and many people have found them. Historically, we have not provided links to the younger classes because those lists were not vetted as frequently as the seniors. But we do want to feature rising seniors once summer begins.

Why aren't they available? We have actually made this change (and a host of others) in our yet-to-be-launched website redesign - and that redesign should be available later this year. But we decided to not implement the majority of these changes at the current website - it slows us down when we have to do the work twice.

Anyway, here are links to commitments for the Class of 2010:

Boys - http://www.tennisrecruiting.net/list.asp?id=1109
Girls - http://www.tennisrecruiting.net/list.asp?id=2109

Best,
Dallas

killR4hand
07-06-2009, 11:17 AM
A big Thank You Dallas!!! :)

Can't wait to see the new TRN website redesign.

ClarkC
07-09-2009, 07:41 PM
Div 1 coaches couldn't even talk to kids in class of 2010 until July 1 (3 days ago).

You are one year off.

killR4hand
07-09-2009, 10:35 PM
You are one year off.

ClarkC again you don't have the facts straight.

Coaches may initiate contact with players in the summer after their high school junior year. For the class of 2010 that would be July 2009. tennismom42 was correct!

ClarkC
07-10-2009, 06:29 PM
ClarkC again you don't have the facts straight.

Coaches may initiate contact with players in the summer after their high school junior year. For the class of 2010 that would be July 2009. tennismom42 was correct!

True, there is a difference between mailing recruiting info and actually talking to players. Mailing can happen about 10 months before the talking. So, coaches can contact players before they can talk to them, but they cannot talk directly to them until July 1 after junior year.