PDA

View Full Version : Any news on Gasquet's case? I hope he is banned for life!

Nadalator
05-25-2009, 12:59 PM
Say what you will, he cheated. Period. Once a cheater, always a cheater.
I hope he doesn't get a preferential treatment for being french and a popular player.

I was never fan of his game and his mental weakness. He was ridiculously overrated so I wouldn't care if he never picks up a racket again. I know he won't be banned for life but I can't stand cheaters.

At least we can agree that he will never win a slam or a masters shield.

raven5288
05-25-2009, 01:05 PM
You do know that cocaine isn't a performance enhancer so he didn't really "cheat". That being said, I do agree that there needs to be a punishment, but lifetime ban? I don't think so. Dude was in Miami, one of the major party hotspots in the country, and one of the major cocaine trafficking areas.

Jchurch
05-25-2009, 01:05 PM
I hope he doesn't get a preferential treatment for being french and a popular player.

I was never fan of his game and his mental weakness. He was ridiculously overrated so I wouldn't care if he never picks up a racket again. I know he won't be banned for life but I can't stand cheaters.

Yes he is a cheater. Cocaine will surely aide you in your quest to become a better tennis player. It must have absolutely no side effects.

Please enlighten me as to how cocaine isn't destructive?

Nadalator
05-25-2009, 01:08 PM
You do know that cocaine isn't a performance enhancer so he didn't really "cheat". That being said, I do agree that there needs to be a punishment, but lifetime ban? I don't think so. Dude was in Miami, one of the major party hotspots in the country, and one of the major cocaine trafficking areas.

So what if it was in Miami? Should he dance salsa every night because he was in Miami? He took an illegal substance, so he cheated.

batz
05-25-2009, 01:12 PM
Yes he is a cheater. Cocaine will surely aide you in your quest to become a better tennis player. It must have absolutely no side effects.

Are you deploying a debating technique where you demolish your own argument or something?

If cocaine is 'destructive' - then how can taking it improve your performance? And if it doesn't increase your performance, then how can taking it be cheating?

Gasquet should be punished in the same way that other cocaine users have been punished.

raven5288
05-25-2009, 01:12 PM
So what if it was in Miami? Should he dance salsa every night because he was in Miami? He took an illegal substance, so he cheated.

I'm just saying that cocaine isn't hard to come by in the city. And no duh cocaine is an illegal substance, but he didn't help his game or hurt his opponents game by taking it so you really can't call it cheating. How many players in the nfl/nba do you think do weed or some other drugs? I'm sure many do, but it's not like the same as taking steroids or some other performance enhancing drug.

Arafel
05-25-2009, 01:13 PM

That's the most ridiculous argument ever, and it's attitudes like that that have led the U.S. to spend billions and billions of dollars on a failed drug policy.

He took a party drug; big deal. Suspend him a month, offer him rehab if he's an addict, and let it go.

You can't look at all drugs as the same. Cocaine is about as much as a performance enhancer as coffee, but less so, because it leads to a faster crash.

oneguy20
05-25-2009, 01:14 PM

He didn't cheat since cocaine isn't a performance enhancing drug. He should be punished however.

IvanAndreevich
Another objective Nadal "fan" respective of other players and opinions.

bumfluff
I heard that he took a couple of hair samples which were clean and if he did take it then it would stay in his hair much longer so it is strange that he had clean hair.

Bundey
Are you deploying a debating technique where you demolish your own argument or something?

If cocaine is 'destructive' - then how can taking it improve your performance? And if it doesn't increase your performance, then how can taking it be cheating?

Gasquet should be punished in the same way that other cocaine users have been punished.

I think the first paragraph of his quote was sarcasm.

batz
05-25-2009, 01:15 PM
I think the first paragraph of his quote was sarcasm.

Oh, in which case 'whoosh' to me then:oops::oops:

oneguy20
05-25-2009, 01:17 PM
That's the most ridiculous argument ever, and it's attitudes like that that have led the U.S. to spend billions and billions of dollars on a failed drug policy.

He took a party drug; big deal. Suspend him a month, offer him rehab if he's an addict, and let it go.

You can't look at all drugs as the same. Cocaine is about as much as a performance enhancer as coffee, but less so, because it leads to a faster crash.

Please don't speak if you're not going to use a brain. Cocaine is not in the same league as caffeine.

el sergento
05-25-2009, 01:19 PM
Umm, how do you know he cheated?? If he did a couple of lines outside the courts you can't call that cheating, quite the opposite, the side effects and lifestyle associated with the drug would actually hinder his performance, not help.

If Korda and half of Argentina didn't get a lifetime ban for using steroids or EPO, drugs that only serve one purpose, to enhance performance, then Gasquet does not deserve a lifetime ban by any stretch.

In fact, the biggest crock in tennis history is that Korda was entitled to keep his AusOpen title after testing positive.

The kid should get a slap on the wrist, nothing more imo. He didn't cheat, he just sabotaged his career.

Bundey
05-25-2009, 01:20 PM
Please don't speak if you're not going to use a brain. Cocaine is not in the same league as caffeine.

He never said that they should be treated as an equal offense, he just was saying that cocaine has no effect on improving your tennis, just like caffeine.

oneguy20
05-25-2009, 01:22 PM
He never said that they should be treated as an equal offense, he just was saying that cocaine has no effect on improving your tennis, just like caffeine.

Oh thanks for pointing that out. Sorry Arafel.

el sergento
05-25-2009, 01:25 PM

Illegal does not equal cheating. Example, If he burnt a red light on his way to the stadium before a match, which is an infraction, does that make him a cheater.

If he had a beer before he was 21 in Miami, does that make him a cheater??

He did something illegal yes, but he didn't cheat. His actions didn't give him an unfair edge over his opponents, if anything they hurt his chances.

Bundey
05-25-2009, 01:27 PM
Illegal does not equal cheating. Example, If he burnt a red light on his way to the stadium before a match, which is an infraction, does that make him a cheater.

He did something illegal yes, but he didn't cheat. His actions didn't give him an unfair edge over his opponents, if anything they hurt his chances.

Yea, exactly. Which is why I would wish that the ATP would just slap him on the wrist or fine him, and let the law do the punishing.

oneguy20
05-25-2009, 01:32 PM
Yea, exactly. Which is why I would wish that the ATP would just slap him on the wrist or fine him, and let the law do the punishing.

Who has jurisdiction over him?

Serve_Ace
05-25-2009, 01:32 PM
Score some coke! Crash my car!

P_Agony
05-25-2009, 01:33 PM
As a Gasquet fan, I think he did a horrible thing, and he should be banned for a long time. Doesn't matter if he cheated or not.

Bundey
05-25-2009, 01:36 PM
Who has jurisdiction over him?

I honestly don't know. Good question.

THESEXPISTOL
05-25-2009, 02:09 PM
if he wants use cocaine let him use it.. as long as he do it in privacy

Tennisplaya10
05-25-2009, 02:14 PM

thats a very close minded view. weed is illegal too and it wont help u in a match lmao

stimulants do enhance your performance though.

Solomon
05-25-2009, 02:14 PM
As a Gasquet fan, I think he did a horrible thing, and he should be banned for a long time. Doesn't matter if he cheated or not.

Doing some cocaine isn't really a "horrible" thing.

Crayola Oblongata
05-25-2009, 02:16 PM
I might be mistaken due to rough translations, but I've read that he could of taken it accidentally. Apparently, such a low amount can be found in certain teas, or soft drinks.

Gorecki
05-25-2009, 02:20 PM

i wonder why would someone start a thread where he shows is ignorance towards the effects of illegal substances and to state he would like a pro sports playes to never play again? but maybe that is just me...

im mediocre anyways...

like you signature... very similar to Mungoloid!

tacou
05-25-2009, 02:32 PM
firstly, there are already 2 thread on this subject.

second, if Gasquet is a cheater then Nadal and any other player who has abused the time limit should be banned for life as well, as that infraction at least has an effect on the match, unlike taking a non-enhancing drug.

lastly, Richard Gasquet has already won a grand slam title.

so basically, your thread fails. I'm so sorry.

World Beater
05-25-2009, 02:36 PM
what an ignorant clown the thread starter is...

JeMar
05-25-2009, 02:53 PM

Wow, such harsh words for someone you've never met before. Get a life, perhaps? It might make you a little less high strung.

Tennis360
05-25-2009, 05:37 PM

how can you call it cheating - he did not even play in Miami....and as far as I know it does not enhance performance....also as I reckon, he did admit on the positive test, but not on taking it voluntarily....he said he will "gather evidence" of his innocence - and as a fan, this is how it will remain for me, until proven otherwise. note that he has smaller amount of the substance in his system - 10 times lesser than what was actually previously reported (he could have passed the test if he was in the military) and some theories suggest it could be due to involuntary ingestion....so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

assuming he actually and voluntarily took the drug, he should be punished yes - but a lifetime ban is just too ridiculous. i understand you are not a fan of his game, but for true tennis fans (which I'm sure you are one), how can you not admire that backhand? and how could say you "hope he is banned for life"? he's got potential - he's young, why the hate?

and btw, he already won a grandslam - RG mixed doubles with tati golovin (in 2004)

Nadal_Freak
05-25-2009, 05:40 PM
As a Nadal fan, I'm embarrassed that this thread came from a fellow Nadal fan. Gasquet shouldn't even be punished on the court but helped off the court.

norbac
05-25-2009, 05:43 PM

So, instead of helping him out with his problem you think he should just be banned and sent further into oblivion? Pure class right there.

Joseph L. Barrow
05-25-2009, 05:43 PM

Do you seriously think cocaine is a performance-enhancing drug? I don't believe there have been any scientific anayses on the subject, but I strongly suspect that were such a study carried out, it wouldn't indicate that tennis players on cocaine are at an advantage over ones not on it. The likelihood that Gasquet used cocaine in an effort to gain a competitive edge appears pretty ludicrous to me, and accordingly the term "cheated" does not seem to fit, nor does a lifetime ban seem commensurate with a single known use of a recreational drug.

norbac
05-25-2009, 05:48 PM
As a Nadal fan, I'm embarrassed that this thread came from a fellow Nadal fan. Gasquet shouldn't even be punished on the court but helped off the court.

Exactly, we don't know if this is a serious personal problem for Gasquet and it's eating away at his life. Why should he be punished for punishing his own body and mind?

oneleggedcardinal
05-25-2009, 05:59 PM

Nicely said, NF.

tacou
05-25-2009, 06:03 PM
I think the real issue is why are ATP drug tests more intense than US military??

Tennis360
05-25-2009, 06:06 PM

I almost begin to think that Nadal fans are just the way they are: cannot empathize with fans of "small athletes" like Gasquet. thanks, Nadal_Freak for at least trying to change my perception.....

Rhino
05-25-2009, 06:06 PM

Apparently Gasquets biggest problem is his self-belief. Cocaine makes people believe they can do anything. :)

LES
05-25-2009, 08:18 PM
George Bush did coke and he served 2 terms as president.

Phelps recieved a 3 month suspension after photo surfaced of him smoking weed.

Seriously, he doesn't need to be banned for life. 2 years ban will kill his career anyways.

tudwell
05-25-2009, 08:21 PM
So....

If we can all stop fighting for two seconds, maybe someone will actually answer the question: Any news on Gasquet's case?

KerryJ
05-25-2009, 08:21 PM
I want Nadal, Federer, Murray, and Djokovic all to test positive for cocaine and see how the views on suspension time pan out amongst the members of the board

imalil2gangsta4u
05-25-2009, 08:23 PM
Anything ban over 6 months is taking it too far.

tacou
05-25-2009, 09:44 PM
So....

If we can all stop fighting for two seconds, maybe someone will actually answer the question: Any news on Gasquet's case?

right now I believe he's serving a 2month temporary ban and is using the time to compile his case.

6rump
05-25-2009, 09:44 PM

This is weird have you made any mistake in your life???? How if you in Gasquet position has to face a "character" like you.....?? stupid

DownTheLine
05-25-2009, 09:47 PM

He was being sarcastic or i just don't see what your trying to say.

DarthFed
05-25-2009, 10:02 PM
Poor Richard..i came to this topic hoping all was well tennis would be boring without him...the ATP should have no jurisdiction over consumption or possession of illegal drugs, thats what are judicial systems are for, get him some help, hell he may already be off the stuff, but don't basically kill the career he's worked hard for over something that's practically irrelevant to tennis.

mrDamien
05-25-2009, 10:08 PM
What had happened to Gasquet? His backhand could tremendously kill Federer game if he continue using it as his secret weapons. I wish he could be back in action soon.

gj011
05-25-2009, 10:13 PM
Gasquet is not a cheater and should not be banned for a long time.

I noticed that people here like to throw a word "cheater" a lot. Mostly without facts to back that claim up.

Jchurch
05-25-2009, 10:32 PM

I noticed that people here like to throw a word "cheater" a lot. Mostly without facts to back that claim up.

I definitely agree with you. If the level was so low that it wouldn't be detected on most tests that would lead me to believe that he might not have knowingly consumed it. Lets be honest, if someone is going to consume drugs they most likely won't do it in such a small amount. I wish people would learn that it is much cheaper to put people into rehab instead of housing them in prisons. And at least with rehab they will have a greater chance to rejoin society.

imalil2gangsta4u
05-25-2009, 10:32 PM

Exactly. People are taking this to the extreme when its not that big of a deal. Yes he should be punished for being irresponsible and not following the rules, but he didnt cheat.

Chopin
05-25-2009, 10:41 PM

Doing something illegal, even if it has no performance enhancing properties, is automatically cheating?

Gasquet j-walked in NY--cheater! Ban him for life! Get real buddy. You know why he WONT be banned for life? Because you're logic is ridiculous and no one is going to support it. Nice try.

Grizvok
05-25-2009, 10:43 PM

What the ****. It's cocaine. I've done it twice. It isn't some crazy *** drug that instantly turns you into some weird coke fiend.

He shouldn't be punished by the ATP at all.

LPShanet
05-25-2009, 11:11 PM
A few things need to be cleared up here:

- With respect to the amount found in Gasquet's drug test, it is certainly possible that the trace amount indicated an accidental ingestion, small intake or similar factor, but it also may simply show that he used the drug longer ago. The amount found in tests decreases constantly after use until it can't be detected at all. The body gradually eliminates all of the drug's byproducts, which is what the test detects, so if there isn't ongoing use, the low level of the test doesn't give any indication of how much he actually took, only how much was left in his system. So in Gasquet's case all we know is that there may have been a relatively low level in his system at the time of the test. Other evidence will have to be provided to determine why.

- With respect to performance enhancement, while cocaine is highly unlikely to help tennis performance, there is debate in the pharma community over its characterization, as it's technically a stimulant (which I'm sure is one reason why an earlier poster compared it to caffeine), and in certain types of events it can provide a small performance aid. However, this mainly applies to short duration, high intensity athletic events that don't rely on other "skills". By contrast, in most skill events and endurance events (of which tennis is both), it would actually impair performance. Still, since tennis follows the Olympic drug testing protocol, it is on the list of banned substances.

- With respect to the jurisdiction of the ATP, they do have a right to take action against him for two reasons. The first is that by playing in their tournaments and agreeing to abide by their rules, he has agreed to be tested regularly and to accept their drug policy. For that reason, he is bound not to take coke, even if it's silly, because it's a rule. Just like any other sanction, the ATP has the right and obligation to enforce the rules, just as much as they have to enforce any of their other rules. Secondly, the ATP is a business, and its product is essentially the players (and tournaments). As a marketing function, the ATP has a right to manage the image of its product, especially since tarnishing that image can result in a large loss of money for them. Naturally, the players (like any professional athletes) are role models for children, and the public ambassadors of the game. So while Gasquet is certainly not at all a cheater in the ethical sense of the word, he has taken actions that can't be publicly condoned or allowed by the ATP. If they don't punish him at all, it's akin to their saying that taking coke is fine, and the public would never allow that stance.

- As far as law enforcement goes, any criminal punishment would be the responsibility of the place in which he did the coke (assuming he did it in a place where it's illegal), and since no one has any idea where that is, there's no way to take legal proceedings against him at this point. I'd be very surprised if there are ever any actions of this type taken against him, as it would be a giant waste of time, and no one cares. If he were a coke dealer that might be different.

So in a nutshell, Gasquet is being punished not for cheating within an event, but essentially for behaving in an unseemly (and probably technically illegal) way that he had contractually agreed not to do. Similarly, if a player tests positive for marijuana, which has absolutely no performance enhancing properties, he will be punished under the ATP/Olympic drug code.

Bottom line is that I agree that a lifetime ban is a ridiculous idea, and the ATP has to decide how far it needs to go to make the statement it wants to make about this case, whatever that may be. Let's hope they don't ruin/end a career.

Underhand
05-26-2009, 01:01 AM
Instead of ban, Gasquet should be punished by forcing him to spend a night with a woman.

aphex
05-26-2009, 01:24 AM
he shouldn't be banned at all

Leublu tennis
05-26-2009, 02:14 AM

He did something illegal yes, but he didn't cheat. His actions didn't give him an unfair edge over his opponents, if anything they hurt his chances.You know, thats a good point. He did something that was illegal and sets a bad example but its not any different than drinking and driving. If it were the latter, e.g. high alcohol content in his blood, would the ATP punish him? And if not, why not?

obsessedtennisfandisorder
05-26-2009, 03:14 AM
A lot of people are missing the point i am making, and on the other thread.

The ATP, luckily for them, are a monopoly....they know the players basically
have to sign their contract ...so they write very high standards in their
contracts which i believe is unfair....

I wonder how some posters on here would view this is gasquet was a tomato
grower and WALMART had completely monopolised the supermarket industry in the US....it effectively means walmart can write ridiculous contracts.

The ATP is lucky they can play God on this issue...many european soccer
clubs just can't afford to have a top player out for long...they arent mono.

also...those people who argue "it sets a bad example" Moya's cheating on partner was 150 times worse doing coke imho...no punishment at all. how
about roddick swearing his head off at referrees...sets a bad example too
ban them for a long time? rios was arrested for assault in 2001 and no ban.

P_Agony
05-26-2009, 03:36 AM
So, instead of helping him out with his problem you think he should just be banned and sent further into oblivion? Pure class right there.

He's a tennis player, watched by millions around the world, including children, who watch and learn a lot from their heroes. Gasquet is my 2nd favorite player. I have always stated his talent is one of a kind, and despite him not having much success I've remained a fan and kept on hoping. However, Gasquet needs to realize that as someone who's on TV many times, you automatically become somewhat of a role model, and Gasquet failed miserably in that department.

If you're asking what I want, I want Gasquet to be back on court as soon as possible. You just can't get enough of that backhand.
If you're asking what I think, I think Gasquet should be punished, despite how painful it is for me as a fan.

PimpMyGame
05-26-2009, 03:46 AM
Can someone please go do a couple of "sportsman's lines" and report back on how much their game improved?

I know that Gasquet confirmed he tested positive, but has he confirmed yet that he knowingly took the substance? He's guilty of high jinx at most, not cheating at tennis.

thejoe
05-26-2009, 03:55 AM

Exactly. I want to know how exactly he has "cheated."

Lefty78
05-26-2009, 04:08 AM
Instead of ban, Gasquet should be punished by forcing him to spend a night with a woman.

LOL Not sure you needed to go there, but very funny.

Lefty78
05-26-2009, 04:32 AM
On another note, I always heard that many of the top pro's in the late 70's and early 80's used coke. Names like Bjorn and Vitas? I never hear anyone calling Borg a cheater. Some people need to realize Gasquet's supposed substance use has nothing to do with tennis.

Gorecki
05-26-2009, 06:10 AM
He's a tennis player, watched by millions around the world, including children, who watch and learn a lot from their heroes. Gasquet is my 2nd favorite player. I have always stated his talent is one of a kind, and despite him not having much success I've remained a fan and kept on hoping. However, Gasquet needs to realize that as someone who's on TV many times, you automatically become somewhat of a role model, and Gasquet failed miserably in that department.

If you're asking what I want, I want Gasquet to be back on court as soon as possible. You just can't get enough of that backhand.
If you're asking what I think, I think Gasquet should be punished, despite how painful it is for me as a fan.

punished... obviously... banned? no.

jimbo333
05-26-2009, 06:34 AM
He should be treated as innocent until proved guilty, but in these days of trial by media he is already considered a cheat? Really unfair I reckon.

For all we know, he may have taken Coke once, twice or even by accident (yes that is possible). Anyway it looks like he is going to get a 2 year ban, which I think is ridiculous, but there you go!

SFrazeur
05-26-2009, 06:53 AM
http://www.sector930.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/nbc_the_more_you_know1.jpg

What the ****. It's cocaine. I've done it twice. It isn't some crazy *** drug that instantly turns you into some weird coke fiend.

He shouldn't be punished by the ATP at all.

norbac
05-26-2009, 04:38 PM

OK, he should be punished: by paying a fine or something, not by getting his career destroyed just for making a dumb mistake.

PS. I miss the backhand already.:(

vascoboy
05-26-2009, 10:00 PM
not sure how this is cheating...ibuprofen is more performance enhancing; how do we know he needs help? does having a glass of wine mean you have an alcohol problem? how about Bjorn Borg, Vitas and others: do we strip their accomplishments?
ATP/ITF takes a real hard line with their drug policy, and in light of Hingis, they are rethinking all of this. Now Gasquet, who will it be tomorrow? ATP/ITF has much bigger problems to deal with than this.
All of these sport franchises want to play God/enforcers of morality, and it's all very silly: they test horse racing jockeys?!? explain that! all of this is just modern day McArthyism...
I am not saying it's OK to do drugs, but lets put our old tired moralistic and puritanical ethics in the trash. I don't really care what players do off the court, to be frank, I don't think I would like many of them anyway; I only care to watch them compete/play tennis. I miss Gasquet & Hingis.
Oh, by the way, let it be known to the Rafa fan who started this that is was Rafa & Kusnetsova that were most critical of WADA's new new anti-doping laws...