PDA

View Full Version : Lack of American Tennis Players

Conquistador
05-25-2009, 02:09 PM
What does everyone think about the lack of american tennis players. In America we have courts everywhere, yet a small country like Spain puts out world class tennis players like a Pepsi bottling plant. Its amazing to see these small countries put out multiple players--given the land mass of the United States-you would think that there would be a huge amount of tennis given the population of the country despite sup par interest in the game across the nation. I would have thought that there would be more players that could compete--or is it just that foreign players play with more hunger and more intensity?

oneguy20
05-25-2009, 02:11 PM
Tennis isn't all that popular in the United States. People like team sports better.

MichaelNadal
05-25-2009, 02:18 PM
Tennis isn't all that popular in the United States. People like team sports better.

Unfortunately, once we lose Roddick, Venus and Serena american tennis is pretty much done.

aceroberts13
05-25-2009, 02:18 PM
I'll give a few reasons:

Football
Baseball
Basketball
Soccer
Etc.

raiden031
05-25-2009, 02:19 PM
Maybe because there has always been more opportunity to play other sports, mainly team sports. Its just a matter of tradition. Adults probably like watching team sports better on TV, and so they introduce their kids to those team sports first. Then the kids never really develop any interest in tennis because they are content with these other sports.

oneleggedcardinal
05-25-2009, 02:21 PM
I was going to be the next great one, I swear...but then I got distracted by basketball...

MajinX
05-25-2009, 02:25 PM
yea even john isner almost picked basketball over tennis, but then he probably realized it was easier to become a top american star in tennis coz of the lack of interest.

sureshs
05-25-2009, 02:27 PM
Because you guys waste your time posting here instead of practising

All-rounder
05-25-2009, 02:44 PM
I'll give a few reasons:

Football
Baseball
Basketball
Soccer
Etc.
soccer :confused: that isn't a more popular sport than tennis in america I think

Andyk028
05-25-2009, 03:15 PM
Unfortunately, once we lose Roddick, Venus and Serena american tennis is pretty much done.

at least we have Donny Young...oh wait he sucks.

Rhino
05-25-2009, 03:44 PM

Americans prefer sports that are played mostly by Americans only. That way they know they can be the 'best in the world' at them. A sport like tennis is way too internationally competitive.

jimbo333
05-25-2009, 03:58 PM
If Nadal suddenly becomes a US citizen, then tennis popularity will pick up big time in the US:)

RoddickAce
05-25-2009, 04:05 PM
If Nadal suddenly becomes a US citizen, then tennis popularity will pick up big time in the US:)

Or he might go by unnoticed or be mistaken as a basketball player.

Jchurch
05-25-2009, 04:06 PM
Americans prefer sports that are played mostly by Americans only. That way they know they can be the 'best in the world' at them. A sport like tennis is way too internationally competitive.

That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Oh yes America is by far the best at baseball right? I keep forgetting the Americans pull in the gold every 4 years at the Olympics and always win the world baseball classic.

T1000
05-25-2009, 04:08 PM
hopefully querry and isner can break through

jaggy
05-25-2009, 04:11 PM
Americans live for televised sports and tennis doesnt really do a great job in America of competing on TV. Figures in tennis magazine suggest more Americans are playing tennis than they have for years so maybe that will make a difference down the line.

Conquistador
05-25-2009, 04:11 PM
Lack of interest, we have 300 million people. Surely the part of the population say 28 million people that play tennis in the United States is far greater than the number of people that play competitively in Spain. What are you guys thinking??? We have more people playing than others in nations but produce less good players....Thats my point!!!!

pmerk34
05-25-2009, 04:13 PM
hopefully Querry and Isner can break through

I fear not though because you need to be fast to be dominant player in today's game and neither Querrey nor Isner posses the quickness necessary, it seems.

I too am eagerly awaiting for someone we can root for stateside that actually has a chance of winning a GS not just getting to the QF's.

From 1986-1988 not one American Male made a GS final, I do not believe. I lived through that but I fear this drought is worse and may go on for quite some time longer than it already has.

tacou
05-25-2009, 04:26 PM
it just goes in waves I suppose. Britain and Australia used to dominate the sport. The past few seasons have been all about Argentina and Russia, with Spain and France more recently taking over.

bladepdb
05-25-2009, 04:32 PM
There are PLENTY of American tennis players on the tour and in the US as well.

The issue is HIGH QUALITY American players; Roddick's the only one holding a Top 10 spot; Blake fell out; Querrey isn't that great yet, etc...

Rhino
05-25-2009, 04:51 PM
That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Oh yes America is by far the best at baseball right? I keep forgetting the Americans pull in the gold every 4 years at the Olympics and always win the world baseball classic.

Apart from the US, I can only think of Japan, Cuba, and Canada that really care about baseball... I could be wrong. Check out how many nationalities care about Football (that's soccer to Americans), or how many nationalities there are in the atp rankings... it's the whole world!

bladepdb
05-25-2009, 04:55 PM
South Korea is fairly hardcore about baseball too. At least I know a lot of Koreans that are hardcore about it.

tacou
05-25-2009, 05:01 PM
Apart from the US, I can only think of Japan, Cuba, and Canada that really care about baseball... I could be wrong. Check out how many nationalities care about Football (that's soccer to Americans), or how many nationalities there are in the atp rankings... it's the whole world!

you are wrong, but also who cares? It's just a sport. Just because the entire world doesn't participate doesn't make it any less of a sport.

CalmxPanicked17
05-25-2009, 05:08 PM
maybe there's less incentive to go pro in america? I think most of the top juniors go on to get college scholarships. Also, i think America is too big...tennis is focused mostly in florida, california, new york, etc., so the rest of the country doesn't really have access to good programs and stuff. Maybe there are lots of decent players there who can't/won't move across the country to try and get more exposure.

Rob_C
05-25-2009, 05:30 PM

Baseball is pretty big in Venezuela and the Dominican Republic also. A good percentage of major leaguers are from those countries.

JBlake27
05-25-2009, 05:33 PM
Blake is going pick it up and be a threat at the upcoming grand slams.

tacou
05-25-2009, 05:54 PM
Blake is going pick it up and be a threat at the upcoming grand slams.
says you, James Blake.

tangerine
05-25-2009, 08:45 PM
Americans aren't doing too badly now, they're just not dominating tennis as much as they did generations before. America's lack of dominance makes people like the OP overreact and act as if American tennis were on life support which it's not. It's just going through a new transition.

Other countries with a strong tennis history are in far worse shape than the Americans: the Australians, the Germans, Sweden, Great Britain.

The French have very many good players but are any of them slam worthy?

Contrary to popular myth, land mass, per capita incomes, politics, etc. has nothing to do with whether individuals from a country will perform well in a certain sport or not. All athletes have a hunger to compete and win. The top tier players can hail from any background.

manny pacquiao P4P king
05-26-2009, 02:43 AM
i think it's to do with the funding - sports like boxing, football and baseball are obviously inexpensive, players come up from academies, i think if tennis wasn't a sport which has a lot to do with having rich parents then there would be alot more american tennis players - and more around the world.

batz
05-26-2009, 02:49 AM
it just goes in waves I suppose. Britain and Australia used to dominate the sport. The past few seasons have been all about Argentina and Russia, with Spain and France more recently taking over.

The last time Britian dominated tennis Adolf Hitler had just annexed Sudatenland.

rafan
05-26-2009, 03:00 AM
The last time Britian dominated tennis Adolf Hitler had just annexed Sudatenland.

I know what you mean but it is a real shame that both America and the UK don't seem to have anyone up and coming for the future. The American era for tennis probably provided us with the greatest excitement in the game and as a Brit I really miss their contribution. Having said that thank heavens for Nadal and the the other 3

Rhino
05-26-2009, 03:54 AM

Actually they have a player at #3 right now who will probably be #1 in a couple of years.

batz
05-26-2009, 04:04 AM
Actually they have a player at #3 right now who will probably be #1 in a couple of years.

You may be correct (I certainly hope you are) but that doesn't get away from the fact that it is > 70 years since GB dominated tennis in any way, shape or form.

Cesc Fabregas
05-26-2009, 04:12 AM
You may be correct (I certainly hope you are) but that doesn't get away from the fact that it is > 70 years since GB dominated tennis in any way, shape or form.

We (Britain) may have a player in the top 3 but we have nobody else in the top 100 whilst countries like Spain, France and Argentina have tons of players in the top 100.

batz
05-26-2009, 04:17 AM
We (Britain) may have a player in the top 3 but we have nobody else in the top 100 whilst countries like Spain, France and Argentina have tons of players in the top 100.

Yep. Murray IS British men's tennis. There is no depth, none whatsover.

Lsmkenpo
05-26-2009, 04:21 AM
Because the best young American athletes don't play tennis, it is not considered a cool sport to play by young american kids, most of the time
kids playing tennis in school are playing because they are not good enough athletes to play football, baseball, basketball, or soccer.

If you look at popularity in other countries tennis is second only to soccer, because they don't play a lot of baseball, football or basketball.

pmerk34
05-26-2009, 05:08 AM
Because the best young American athletes don't play tennis, it is not considered a cool sport to play by young american kids, most of the time
kids playing tennis in school are playing because they are not good enough athletes to play football, baseball, basketball, or soccer.

If you look at popularity in other countries tennis is second only to soccer, because they don't play a lot of baseball, football or basketball.

The best athletes in America are black athletes and they have never played tennis in anything resembling large numbers so I'm not sure that is the reason.

jimbo333
05-26-2009, 05:43 AM
Americans aren't doing too badly now

Other countries with a strong tennis history are in far worse shape than the Americans: the Australians, the Germans, Sweden, Great Britain.

I think maybe you are in a bit of denial here, or worse, American tennis is complacent at the moment!!!

Murray is actually British, where did you think he was from?

We don't have anyone else any good at the moment, but success in sport is believe or not all about winning:)

skip1969
05-26-2009, 05:45 AM
i don't mind it.

Lefty5
05-26-2009, 06:14 AM
We just came off an golden age in US Tennis with Sampras and Agassi. Its hard to follow those guys up. It will take another cycle or two but there will be more there soon!

sureshs
05-26-2009, 06:24 AM
Matt Cronin speculated in Inside Tennis that young US players don't work hard (among other reasons). In the latest issue, Vania King writes an angry letter to the Editor saying she works very hard. So do parents of other top US juniors. But he sticks to his line in his response. Get the issue and read it. The letters don't seem to be on the web site of the mag.

vandre
05-26-2009, 06:50 AM

this is GENIUS!!!! we can't seem to develop a top pro in the US anymore, we'll just buy one!!! everyone get you're wallets out!!!! :twisted:

Andres
05-26-2009, 06:57 AM
Lack of interest, we have 300 million people. Surely the part of the population say 28 million people that play tennis in the United States is far greater than the number of people that play competitively in Spain. What are you guys thinking??? We have more people playing than others in nations but produce less good players....Thats my point!!!!
Are you saying 10% of the american population plays tennis? Seems a bit far off, if you ask me.

raiden031
05-26-2009, 06:57 AM

Its because tennis attracts second-rate athletes here in the US. The best athletes choose other sports where 1) there is more support from their parents who are fans or former players of these sports, 2) there are more less-costly training resources available and 3) the odds of having a lucrative career are much better.

jimbo333
05-26-2009, 06:59 AM
this is GENIUS!!!! we can't seem to develop a top pro in the US anymore, we'll just buy one!!! everyone get you're wallets out!!!! :twisted:

Well why not, that's what you used to do:):)

sureshs
05-26-2009, 07:01 AM
Its because tennis attracts second-rate athletes here in the US. The best athletes choose other sports where 1) there is more support from their parents who are fans or former players of these sports, 2) there are more less-costly training resources available and 3) the odds of having a lucrative career are much better.

I have thought about that. But really, do you think the odds are better in basketball, baseball, football, hockey, golf or swimming? Think about the level of the competition. A medium-build guy or girl playing decent tennis can get some edge in applying to a tennis school, even if there is no scholarship. Do you think the same is true for other sports where genetics filters out everybody but the very best?

Stchamps
05-26-2009, 07:04 AM
soccer :confused: that isn't a more popular sport than tennis in america I think

It's not that popular for adults, but most little kids play soccer.

raiden031
05-26-2009, 07:08 AM
I have thought about that. But really, do you think the odds are better in basketball, baseball, football, hockey, golf or swimming? Think about the level of the competition. A medium-build guy or girl playing decent tennis can get some edge in applying to a tennis school, even if there is no scholarship. Do you think the same is true for other sports where genetics filters out everybody but the very best?

I don't think the odds are much different as far college tennis goes, but for pro tennis there is. But still, americans have to compete against foreign students for spots on a college tennis team, moreso than in other sports.

As for professionals, there are probably only a handful of American tennis players who really make a decent living, yet there are hundreds of players in each of these other sports who make a great living in the US. Thats the problem with the internationalization of tennis, and the advantage of sports that are limited to just within the nation.

goober
05-26-2009, 07:16 AM
It's not that popular for adults, but most little kids play soccer.

I agree. There are way more kids that play soccer than play tennis in the US.
It is not even close. When they get to high school things begin to diverge with more kids going into traditional sports.

If you are an high level athlete, your chances of "making it" are far greater in baseball, basketball or football than it is in tennis. If you are an average pro in one the big three sports you are a milllionaire many times over. If you are in the middle of the ATP rankings 400-600, you are barely scraping by. Of course TV, media, advertising all play into it as well. kids rarely get exposed to tennis players.

Tennis will probably always be a niche sport. Fine with me. I personally don't get too excited if the US has a top pros or not. It has zero correlation with my enjoyment of the sport.

CalmxPanicked17
05-26-2009, 09:21 AM
Tennis will probably always be a niche sport. Fine with me. I personally don't get too excited if the US has a top pros or not. It has zero correlation with my enjoyment of the sport.

exactly. actually, one of the reasons i love tennis is because you can go anywhere and find people who play :)