PDA

View Full Version : break point conversion % -definition

dlazenby
05-25-2009, 06:59 PM
I recently have been exploring this stat. I know, obviously that a break point opportunity is if you win that point you will break your opponent's serve. However I haven't been able to determine the calculation for the percentage.
Case in point:
If score is 30-40 (and this is your first break opportunity) and you, the receiver win the point, your percentage would be 1/1=100. If, for the opponent's next service game you had him 30-40 and lost that point but then had him add out and won that point, your running % total would be 2/3 or 66.7 %.
My real question, is if you had the opponent love 40 (and obviously triple break point) and if you won the first of the 3 opportunities is that counted as 1/3 or 1/1. I would think in the world of stats (and bookmakers) that having an opponent love 40 and winning the game love would have more import than say the game going to add and winning it.
Please advise (about the calculation).
Thanks

bolo
05-25-2009, 07:06 PM
I recently have been exploring this stat. I know, obviously that a break point opportunity is if you win that point you will break your opponent's serve. However I haven't been able to determine the calculation for the percentage.
Case in point:
If score is 30-40 (and this is your first break opportunity) and you, the receiver win the point, your percentage would be 1/1=100. If, for the opponent's next service game you had him 30-40 and lost that point but then had him add out and won that point, your running % total would be 2/3 or 66.7 %.
My real question, is if you had the opponent love 40 (and obviously triple break point) and if you won the first of the 3 opportunities is that counted as 1/3 or 1/1. I would think in the world of stats (and bookmakers) that having an opponent love 40 and winning the game love would have more import than say the game going to add and winning it.
Please advise (about the calculation).
Thanks

I am guessing in the 1/3 situation, you basically lose track of the 2 bp chances that you did not need. Certainly in reported break point % stats. it wouldn't make sense to keep them in there, because including them in the calculation can only make the % stat. look worse than it truly is.

Shaolin
05-25-2009, 07:33 PM
Not difficult to understand.

You have opponent down 0-40 and win the next point, you are 1/1 on beak point conversions. You cant factor in points that have not been played yet lol.

Nadal_Freak
05-25-2009, 07:36 PM
Basically the players that don't choke do well in this category. Federer has a history of messing up in this category against Nadal. Vamos!

tacou
05-25-2009, 07:51 PM
Basically the players that don't choke do well in this category. Federer has a history of messing up in this category against Nadal. Vamos!

gtfo

dlazenby
05-25-2009, 07:55 PM
shaolin,
I couldn't agree more that it would be 1/1 in the calculation if you won the first point of a triple break point.
However, taken to the extreme if you beat your opponent on his service game love each game it would not be reflected any differently if each game went to add multiple times and you won on the first add-out opportunity.
A stat that is followed closely is break point conversion but I do not know if the total break points possible for that player are tabulated/followed.
Again, I just started exploring this stat and was trying to understand it relevance and shortcomings.
Is there another stat e.g., "break point index" that would combine total break points and break point conversion. The combination of these two would better show a player's dominance for that part of his game. Just like slugging percentage and on-base percentage in baseball may convey more importance than the batting average to the manager/owner if they are deciding to put that person as the leadoff man or clean up hitter.
Thanks

GPG
05-25-2009, 07:56 PM

Madrid Final
____________________Federer_________Nadal
Break Points Won______100% (2/2)______0% (0/4)

who chokes?

(I bet that this guy will reply saying that Madrid wasn't played on real clay or something like that)

oneleggedcardinal
05-25-2009, 07:56 PM
gtfo

yes please.

Shaolin
05-25-2009, 08:02 PM
dlazenby--every break point played is taken into the percentage. If you are up 0-40 and win the next point you are 1/1 on break point conversion (100%--you are great on break points). If you are up 0-40, lose the next 3 points, then get it to your advantage and win that point, you are then 1/4 for break point conversions (25%--you kinda suck at break point conversions). Pretty big difference..

GPG
05-25-2009, 08:04 PM
Basicaly, BP conversion % means how many attemps did you take to convert the BP

Andres
05-25-2009, 08:05 PM
Don't whine about Fed fans bringing Roger up in every Nadal thread if you're going to do the same.

Double standards? No please.

Sentinel
05-25-2009, 09:41 PM
Thanks for the accurate unbiased definition, Federer_freak !