PDA

View Full Version : Gimelstob claims Roddick can make a better run at RG because he plays with more spin?

oneguy20
05-25-2009, 08:35 PM
That's what I've heard from him on TTC. His forehand has been loopy for the last couple of years, but he didn't add more spin to his shots. Anyway, he also claims he's now playing closer to the baseline and is more aggressive.

Gimelstob doesn't know what he's talking about. Thoughts?

jamesblakefan#1
05-25-2009, 08:42 PM
Gimelstob loves Roddick. He's kinda like P-Mac in that regard, but worse. He talks about going to dinner with Andy, honestly I think he's jealous of Brooklyn.

It doesn't surprise me that he's loving Roddick yet again, no pun intended. Roddick could switch to 1HBH, start moonballing and playing like Santoro but worse, and Gimelstob would say it was brilliant and P-Mac would make him USO favorite.

MajinX
05-25-2009, 09:16 PM
That's what I've heard from him on TTC. His forehand has been loopy for the last couple of years, but he didn't add more spin to his shots. Anyway, he also claims he's now playing closer to the baseline and is more aggressive.

Gimelstob doesn't know what he's talking about. Thoughts?

u cant make ur shot more loopy without adding spin to it.... have u played tennis before? if he didnt add spin to it then hes hitting it like a lop to make it loopy and theres no way someone can half lob their forehand and be ranked 6th.

Cfidave
05-26-2009, 03:51 AM
Gimelstob is so in love with Roddick, that anything he says lacks credibility. It would not suprise me if the idiot picked Roddick to beat Nadal.

Joseph L. Barrow
05-26-2009, 04:12 AM
Gimelstob is more than a little bit of a Roddick cheerleader, and has a history of making blusteringly optimistic predictions of future success on Roddick's part; a couple months ago, he was saying Roddick would be ranked #4 by Wimbledon. This isn't to say Roddick hasn't made some improvements and adjustments which might help him achieve more success on clay, but certainly Gimelstob is going rather prematurely overboard.

Lsmkenpo
05-26-2009, 04:25 AM
Roddick hits with the third highest avg spin on tour just behind Nadal and Federer.

skip1969
05-26-2009, 05:24 AM
lol. yeah, i caught that brilliant "analysis" too. i can't remember if it was before or after gimlestob gave us a play-by-play of the "intimate" roddick wedding ceremony (elton john sang 13 songs, don'tcha know).

he's such a tool. i keep hoping against hope that he will improve the more he's out there, but so far . . . no. i almost always mute the moment i see him on screen, though he interviewed fed in the studio and i caught him saying that he was wearing his fed pin on his jacket before i could get to my remote.

Breaker
05-26-2009, 05:31 AM
Would be nice for him if Roddick got back to the promised land of round 3 at Roland Garros I suppose.

Beck will probably stop him there though.

Frankauc
05-26-2009, 05:36 AM
i agree with him, Roddick hits with lots of spin right now and make very few unforced errors. If he can mve well, he could make his way to the quarters, maybe the semis.

jamesblakefan#1
05-26-2009, 05:41 AM
To make the semis he'd have to beat fed. That ain't happenin.

gunnd5000
05-26-2009, 08:58 AM
Gimelstob loves Roddick. He's kinda like P-Mac in that regard, but worse. He talks about going to dinner with Andy, honestly I think he's jealous of Brooklyn.

It doesn't surprise me that he's loving Roddick yet again, no pun intended. Roddick could switch to 1HBH, start moonballing and playing like Santoro but worse, and Gimelstob would say it was brilliant and P-Mac would make him USO favorite.

you realy should have made your name andyroddickhater#1 all i ever here from you is rubbish about roddick because your great blake isnt good enough to be no1 in the USA

jrod
05-26-2009, 09:05 AM
Disclaimer: I personally can't stand Gimelstob.

That said, I think Roddick does stand a better shot at going deeper this year but not solely becuase he hits with more spin. The spin certainly helps, but the biggest change in Roddicks game that benefits him on clay is his improvement in terms of conditioning, movement and point construction. He seems more patient and willing to hang around and pounce on higher % opportunities rather than trying to force things too early in the point.

manny pacquiao P4P king
05-26-2009, 09:27 AM

i think your jealous of roddick, simply because your favourite hasn't even made a semi of a slam. where as roddick will do better at the french this year than what blake will do in any other slam

cknobman
05-26-2009, 09:43 AM
Im just waiting for a abrupt split between Roddick and Brooklyn followed soon after by a leaked video on the net.

DunlopDood
05-26-2009, 09:44 AM
Gimmelstob was a lousy player and an now he's an even lousier commentator. Whenever he's on the air he seems to wanna talk about most anything but the match going on, I could tell Mcenroe was getting a bit annoyed at him the other day.

To his comment. Sure Roddick can play with bit more spin, but he still moves like a fish out of water on clay and movement is the most important aspect. If Blake wasn't such a damn choaker he would be a far superior clay-court player to Roddick.

veroniquem
05-26-2009, 09:45 AM
I don't trust anything that Gimelstob says.

manny pacquiao P4P king
05-26-2009, 09:59 AM
gimelstob..........FTW

jamesblakefan#1
05-26-2009, 10:26 AM
i think your jealous of roddick, simply because your favourite hasn't even made a semi of a slam. where as roddick will do better at the french this year than what blake will do in any other slam

I don't hate any player. Just don't think Roddick's accomplished all that he should have. It's not a matter of jealousy. Just see Roddick as the most overhyped guy of the last 10 yrs, seeing as he's only won 1 slam, and that was in 2003. Think he's wasted his game by becoming a FH pusher instead of hitting thru like he used to in 03-04.

And yes, the American commentators are favorable towards Roddick, just as they are towards the Williams sisters. I bet if Serena had lost today, they would have made all kinds of excuses, instead of giving her opponent credit.

SAFINATORZ
05-26-2009, 12:56 PM
Gimelstob (who was an awful player, obviously doesn't know wtf he's talkin about, just cuz roddick won his 1st match doesn't mean he's gonna make a huge turnaround, besides anyone in here knows Roddick's improvement on his mobility and using his strengths is the real cuz for him to win a few clay court matches. WTF is justin talking about SPin? Most of roddick's shots from HIS FH side are spins!

SAFINATORZ
05-26-2009, 12:57 PM
I think ESPN spent more money into hiring Mcenroe & gave what was left of the deal to hire Gimelstob.

deltox
05-26-2009, 01:43 PM
Roddick will definitely go deeper this year than in years previous. how far we will know in a few more days