PDA

View Full Version : Psychology

Type40
03-17-2005, 08:41 PM
I just played a guy, that I beat last week, and tonight he kicked my ***.
I just could not get into the game at all.

I can only think that I underestimated the opponent, and made an assumption that I could get away with playing at 50%.

HOwever, even when it became apparent that I was being outplayed, because
I had already asumed it would be an easy night, I couldnt raise my level to where it usually is.

I put this down to pure psychology.

I played a girl the other day who was a good player, and won easily, and it seems to me, that you just can't play girls, because somewhere deep down inside, you are trying to be a nice guy and not blow her off the court, then when you come up against a guy in your next match he's trying to kill you, and you are still psychologically being a nice guy.

Anyway that's enough of this crap, i don't really know what the hell I'm talking about here. just feeling frustrated and pizzed off!

I'm sure some folks can relate.

/out

raftermania
03-17-2005, 10:51 PM
Yeah man, always respect your opponent.

tennis-n-sc
03-18-2005, 05:09 AM
Momentum, or Big Mo, is damn hard to ****** away from your opponent. To me, it is one of the most baffling parts of tennis.

MegacedU
03-18-2005, 06:55 AM
I'm a girl and I play my brother a lot, he's three years older - and he actually tries really hard to beat me, he even cheats a little (stingey line calls/changing scores etc), and he still can't win. Sibling rivalry - It's the only thing I ever beat him at.

But the whole getting away with 50% thing is totally true, if I think someone sucks I don't play as well as I would with someone better than me. But the thing is by that time it's almost too late to really step your game up.

Geezer Guy
03-18-2005, 07:57 AM
Been there - had that done to me. Totally sucks! Big Mo claims another victim.

It's a lot easier to start out playing 100% and then dial it back a bit once you're way ahead than to start out playing 75% cuz you pity the poor bustard and then try to step it up when you get behind.

thehustler
03-21-2005, 11:07 AM
I always prefer to take it to anybody at full strength all the time. I don't like to dial it back, because I feel that will do more harm in the long run. I also see it as an insult to your opponent that you are dialing it back. I always expect my opponent to bring his best against me, as I will do the same. I always tell my friends, opponents, whoever that I will bring it against anybody. Doesn't matter if you were my brother, my mom, my grandma, if you want to play a match against me you'd better bring it. I find more opponents respect you if you always bring it no matter what the score is than if you relax because you're crushing them. Just MHO.

Type40
03-21-2005, 08:27 PM
I've done that in the past against some attractive girls, I think they didn't respect me more, they just resented me, for kicking thier butts. It's psychology again, they'll be nice about it, but they won't want to play you again.

ShooterMcMarco
03-21-2005, 11:56 PM
once the chick starts fist pumping then its on :)

bc-05
03-22-2005, 12:51 AM
hohh.. when she starts fist pumping and does the lawnmowe and the hewitt come on masha's grunt.. kirilenko's look.. then dont even worry bout it.. it will be on.. but then it depends.. i got caned by the chick with the same characteristics... crazy thing is for some reason my bomb isn't working.. those andy serve and forehand wasn't working for me.. until now i still dont get how i lost that match.. like i play against pennants, etc.. this girl was just a normal state player.. how the heck she beat me? its an unknown force i tell ya.. unknown force.. must be at the third game.. when she won a point and does that hewitt come on to me.. and gave me that stare.. that stare was saying to me.. I WANT U BAD!!! so i just gave the match away :P