PDA

View Full Version : Does Britton get a wild card for the US Open?

babolatking
05-26-2009, 07:24 AM
see above does he?, I always thought if the winner was an American he would get a wild card (thats why devarrman did not get one, he was not an American citizen)

ttbrowne
05-26-2009, 08:00 AM
I'm guessing cause the USTA hates to have people from other countries to whip our American guys for the NCAA Championship. Not this year though.

goober
05-26-2009, 08:31 AM
I'm guessing cause the USTA hates to have people from other countries to whip our American guys for the NCAA Championship. Not this year though.

All slams give preference to their own country's players for WCs. The US Open is no different. Sometimes they will enter into agreements with other countries for WCs exchanges and sometimes famous players regardless of country will get a WC, but why should the USTA give out WCs to up and coming non US players? That is why it is called the USTA not the International TA:)

Fedace
05-26-2009, 05:40 PM
Devin will get a Wildcard to the US open this year. We will see how that serve and volley game holds up in Pro game.

Atown
05-28-2009, 07:38 AM
Devin will get a Wildcard to the US open this year.

While it is no longer the "policy" of the USTA to grant US Open wildcards to the NCAA Singles Champions, the chance of getting one are certainly higher if the respective champion is American.

That being said, there is no guarantee that Mr. Britton will receive a main draw wildcard. Amanda McDowell did not receive a main draw wildcard last year after winning the NCAA Title. (http://www.collegeandjuniortennis.com/NCAAChampionsAtUSOpen08.htm) She did however receive a wildcard into the qualifying draw. (http://www.tennis-x.com/ptfstory/2008-08-13/676.php)

Rob_C
05-29-2009, 12:01 AM
While it is no longer the "policy" of the USTA to grant US Open wildcards to the NCAA Singles Champions, the chance of getting one are certainly higher if the respective champion is American.

That being said, there is no guarantee that Mr. Britton will receive a main draw wildcard. Amanda McDowell did not receive a main draw wildcard last year after winning the NCAA Title. (http://www.collegeandjuniortennis.com/NCAAChampionsAtUSOpen08.htm) She did however receive a wildcard into the qualifying draw. (http://www.tennis-x.com/ptfstory/2008-08-13/676.php)

Isner got one in '07, and he was the runner up. He did have excellent pro results right after his senior year, however.

Fedace
05-29-2009, 03:17 AM
Alex Kim got one after he won the NCAA, so why not Devin Britton, i suppose. Lets have him and IVo Karlovic go at it in 1st round....lol

Atown
05-29-2009, 06:14 AM
Alex Kim got one after he won the NCAA

Back in 2000 it was still the USTA's policy to grant a main draw wild card to the NCAA Singles Champion.

Fred
05-29-2009, 07:48 AM
It seems that people are confusing the USTA's decision not to automatically grant a wild card to the NCAA champion with an aversion to giving a wild card to any college player. They are averse to giving wild cards to non-Americans and Americans with very little pro potential. Britton easily meets their criteria. He's an American, he's young, and he has upside. Reaching the final of the U.S. Junior Open doesn't hurt either. I would be shocked if he didn't get a wild card.

chrisplchs
05-29-2009, 01:00 PM
Britton should get a wildcard. I think because of McDowell wanting to go to law school not pro, caused her to not get the wildcard last year.

AndrewD
05-29-2009, 02:04 PM
Britton should get a wildcard. I think because of McDowell wanting to go to law school not pro, caused her to not get the wildcard last year.

McDowell was only a sophomore - law school is so far away you'd have to be challenged to use it as the basis for not granting someone a wildcard. Simple reason is that the USTA didn't think she was good enough to be in the main draw. More extended reason is that they wanted to give her wildcard to a junior. Asia Muhammad was not a more deserving recipient, but she does have more influential supporters (thanks to her Las Vegas heritage).

Whatever the case, the USTA should have had the decency to say, well in advance, that they were no-longer going to observe the tradition (not a policy) of awarding a main-draw wildcard to American winners of the NCAA event. Unfortunately, they thought it would be better to not say anything until they saw who won, then give McDowell a slap in the face.

edberg505
05-31-2009, 12:32 AM
Devin is playing in the FO juniors tomorrow.

Fred
05-31-2009, 08:43 AM
Devin is playing in the FO juniors tomorrow.

He lost 6-0, 6-4. Ouch.

jaggy
05-31-2009, 11:30 AM
He lost 6-0, 6-4. Ouch.

Tough loss but to be fair he plays all the time on hard courts and lost to a Frenchman who probaly practices at RG a lot.

edberg505
07-01-2009, 07:49 AM
Devin is in to the quarters of the Boys Wimbledon draw. I think he's stated that grass is his favourite surface. He won the International Grass Courts Championships last year.

formerblakefan
07-01-2009, 10:31 AM
btw...Britton just announced he will be going pro...I'm so proud of my alma mater boy!!!

Go Rebs!
http://www.olemisssports.com//ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2600&ATCLID=3758590

goober
07-01-2009, 11:07 AM
I have never seen him play. What are his pro prospects?

Rabbit
07-01-2009, 11:14 AM
Pretty dadgum good. There is an article on him written by Peter Bodo....

http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/index.html

scroll down to the title Rod Laver Don't Fish

Very nice write up on him.

And...

Go to Hell Ole Miss!

Sorry, I had to. It's something we're required to do in Starkvegas. :)

ChipNCharge
07-01-2009, 12:29 PM
I wonder if Duke's Mallory Cecil will get a wild card to the US Open? She won the NCAAs this year as a freshman.

edberg505
07-01-2009, 12:38 PM
I wonder if Duke's Mallory Cecil will get a wild card to the US Open? She won the NCAAs this year as a freshman.

Oh wow, really? So to freshmen won the men's and women's NCAA title?

formerblakefan
07-02-2009, 04:09 AM

And...

Go to Hell Ole Miss!

Well...rabbitt...here's one for ya:

One day in an elementary school in Starkville, MS, a teacher asks her class if the Mississippi State Bulldogs are their favorite football team. The whole class says yes, except for Little Jimmy.

The teacher asks, "What's your favorite football team Jimmy?"

Little Jimmy says, "The Ole Miss Rebels "

The teacher asks, "Well, why is that?"

Little Jimmy says, "Well, my dad is a Rebel fan, my mom is a Rebel fan, I guess that makes me a Rebel fan."

The teacher angered by his reply says, "If your dad was a moron and your mom was an idiot what would that make you?"

Little Jimmy says, "Well, I guess that would make me a Mississippi State fan."

Go Rebs! :)

Rabbit
07-02-2009, 05:00 AM
Well...rabbitt...here's one for ya:

One day in an elementary school in Starkville, MS, a teacher asks her class if the Mississippi State Bulldogs are their favorite football team. The whole class says yes, except for Little Jimmy.

The teacher asks, "What's your favorite football team Jimmy?"

Little Jimmy says, "The Ole Miss Rebels "

The teacher asks, "Well, why is that?"

Little Jimmy says, "Well, my dad is a Rebel fan, my mom is a Rebel fan, I guess that makes me a Rebel fan."

The teacher angered by his reply says, "If your dad was a moron and your mom was an idiot what would that make you?"

Little Jimmy says, "Well, I guess that would make me a Mississippi State fan."

Go Rebs! :)

That was pretty good.....

Here's a riddle for you...

How do you get an Ole Miss grad off your porch?

Pay him for the pizza...

edberg505
07-02-2009, 11:31 AM

And...

Go to Hell Ole Miss!

LOL, don't like Ole Miss do you? I've been on Ole Miss campus a few times. I've never been on Miss. State's campus.