PDA

View Full Version : I still can't get used to Murray as Number 3...

DarthFed
05-26-2009, 08:52 AM
Better yet Djoker at number 4....im still calling him the World No 3 w/o realizing it...it just feels so..unnatural

It was cool that the top 3 players were slam winners.now it just...ugh wtf happened? he had no less than 3 chances to overtake Fed and now he dropped down?

i know this is old and all credit to Andy being the first brit to do so (right) but my big 3 is gone now...

THESEXPISTOL
05-26-2009, 08:58 AM
Come on.. If he's there he deserves it..

Rhino
05-26-2009, 09:00 AM
The number three position always seems so far away from the big two to me. You get people like Murray, Davydenko, even Ljubicic that make number three. number four is even worse... James Blake was once at number four!

maximo
05-26-2009, 09:00 AM
Murray is better than Djokovic, deal with it

DarthFed
05-26-2009, 09:03 AM
Of course he deserves it...im just saying it feels weird...especially because he moved up in rank after losing earlier than Djokovic

When Nadal surpassed Fed he had just won the Olympics it felt so appropriate, i know ranks change all the time but when it comes to the top 5 i guess i'd like it to be...dramatic?

Murray is better than Djokovic, deal with it

Your a Murray fan right? i was hoping you wouldn't come here and take this the wrong way

vtmike
05-26-2009, 09:05 AM
It also felt wierd that Djokovic was ranked higher than Murray during the 2008 year end & 2009 hardcourt Masters Series...

CalmxPanicked17
05-26-2009, 09:07 AM
it really surprised me when heard... esp in light of how Djokovic has been playing recently. And when/how did the point difference between him and Murray get so big?

DarthFed
05-26-2009, 09:08 AM
No need to bite my head off..I like both of these guys..but im just saying it's weird..Nole has been #3 for WELL over a year

LanceStern
05-26-2009, 11:57 AM
It's weird to me. I actually thought Djokovic was still Number 3, especially the consistently awsesome way he played on clay for the past month, while Murray wilted.

veroniquem
05-26-2009, 12:10 PM
It's weird to me. I actually thought Djokovic was still Number 3, especially the consistently awsesome way he played on clay for the past month, while Murray wilted.
They're very close anyway. Djoko could get back to #3 if he does well at Wimby.

Telepatic
05-26-2009, 12:15 PM
They're very close anyway. Djoko could get back to #3 if he does well at Wimby.

If Novak gets to RG finals and wimbledon SF/F , hes #2 I think.

RoddickAce
05-26-2009, 12:16 PM

Can he be #2 if Fed wins Wimbledon?

edit: nope, just calculated, if Fed makes RG semi's and wins Wimbledon, Djoker won't be #2. Fed will be at 10390 while Djoker would be at 10260 if he makes the finals of both RG and Wimby.

batz
05-26-2009, 12:21 PM
Better yet Djoker at number 4....im still calling him the World No 3 w/o realizing it...it just feels so..unnatural

It was cool that the top 3 players were slam winners.now it just...ugh wtf happened? he had no less than 3 chances to overtake Fed and now he dropped down?

i know this is old and all credit to Andy being the first brit to do so (right) but my big 3 is gone now...

Hey mate - I'm a Murray fan and I don't have a problem with what you posted. Novak was number 3 for a long time.

You are right he is the first Brit to make number 3 - in the open era.

batz
05-26-2009, 12:22 PM

It's a 3 way thing - you'd have to factor Murray into any of those type of calcs.

RoddickAce
05-26-2009, 12:25 PM
It's a 3 way thing - you'd have to factor Murray into any of those type of calcs.

Yeah, if Murray has a greater chance of being #2 than Djokovic if you just look at the ranking points and results from last year.

veroniquem
05-26-2009, 12:27 PM
Really? That's interesting. I can't remember a time when things got so competitive between a #2, 3 and 4.

Mansewerz
05-26-2009, 12:30 PM
Yeah, it's really weird, especially considering that Murray was nonexistent during the clay season (apart from a semi at MC, but come on, he should have been in the semis of each one, possibly even winning one).

manny pacquiao P4P king
05-26-2009, 02:47 PM
rankings based on GS - separating the men from the boys.

federer
nadal
safin - semi's of all 4, unlike hewitt
hewitt
roddick - 3 RU to the GOAT
djokovic

who gives a **** about ranking - grand slams is what matters. who here would rather have gaudio's career, or rios'.

fedtastic
05-26-2009, 02:49 PM

Same with me, I keep calling Federer No 1 in the world. It just sounds right to me and I am used to it. But I am slowly changing this habbit. Its hard but it is inevitable.

P_Agony
05-26-2009, 03:04 PM

It's odd, but Andy is the better overall player today. On HCs at least, and on grass too (based on last year).

norbac
05-26-2009, 03:08 PM
It's odd, but Andy is the better overall player today. On HCs at least, and on grass too (based on last year).

Djoker's a former semifinalist at Wimbledon and finalist at Queens, I'd say at the moment he's overall better than Murray on grass.

SmAsH999
05-26-2009, 03:30 PM
i can get used to murray as number 3. but don't get too attached to his current ranking...soon he'll be #2. ;-)

shadows
05-26-2009, 03:46 PM
Djoker's a former semifinalist at Wimbledon and finalist at Queens, I'd say at the moment he's overall better than Murray on grass.

I think we'll suss that one out this summer really; right now there's a couple of questions floating about that makes it a little hard to choose. Murray has undoubtedly improved his game since last year (when he proved he could make it deep) which is quite probably going to translate to a higher level of play on grass, Djokovic on the other hand needs to prove that his loss to Safin last year was a one off (which it likely was) and that he's got a consistent game on grand slam grass.

I've found it quite interesting that despite Murrays good start to the year he is now #4 again on points accumulated within this caledar year. He's really going to have to pull out some big results again in the second half of the year if he wants to get that #2

P_Agony
05-26-2009, 03:53 PM

That's why I said based on last year only.:)