PDA

View Full Version : Finally Federer Trying Something New!!!

King of Aces
05-26-2009, 09:57 AM
- Roger Federer, dropshots: "I'm happy I got to learn how to use it over the years. I used to not be a fan of the dropshot at all -- I always thought it was a shot you only hit when you're panicking from the baseline, when you're scared maybe to take on the fight, you know. But today I realized that actually you can use it to your advantage against like players like today. It just makes it a little bit more easy."

Andres
05-26-2009, 10:22 AM
Duhhhh!!!!!!!!

Docalex007
05-26-2009, 10:25 AM
Roger = the new redefined drop shot-loving champion.

veroniquem
05-26-2009, 10:27 AM
Wow Federer, 28 years to realize drop shots are useful on clay. I guess he's what one would call a slow learner :)

Docalex007
05-26-2009, 10:31 AM
Wow Federer, 28 years to realize drop shots are useful on clay. I guess he's what one would call a slow learner :)

Yeah tell me about it. Although I think Federer has been really stubborn with his tennis for the past several years. Maybe it's changing now? I think so.

mandy01
05-26-2009, 10:43 AM
Yeah tell me about it. Although I think Federer has been really stubborn with his tennis for the past several years. Maybe it's changing now? I think so. Its not about being stubborn.Many players do not like to use the drop shot.How many players have you seen making good amount of use of it? You have to get it just right for it to be a weapon.If you try it out,practice it and in general if it works for you( dosent mean it wins you matches) it can be a weapon and thats what it is for Roger.
Rest of the game-I agree..He was too passive before esp in the early rounds.He's trying to be more aggressive.Nevertheless he has to take care that he does not overdo it.

jms007
05-26-2009, 10:49 AM
Is the drop shot considered to be a bit of a "cheap" tactic on tour? Or is it the degree of difficulty the reason why it isn't used so much?

veroniquem
05-26-2009, 10:54 AM
Yeah tell me about it. Although I think Federer has been really stubborn with his tennis for the past several years. Maybe it's changing now? I think so.
Everything happens. 27 is not that old after all.

dextor
05-26-2009, 11:40 AM
I think as good players gets older (not old) and the competition gets stiff, they find ways to adapt and work around their abilities lost with age. Federer still has quite a few years left in him.

DarthFed
05-26-2009, 11:45 AM
Everything happens. 27 is not that old after all.

It is in tennis years, in most cases this is a young mans sport

veroniquem
05-26-2009, 11:47 AM
It is in tennis years, in most cases this is a young mans sport
It's true but look at Santoro, Ljubo, Clement, they're still pretty good.

LanceStern
05-26-2009, 11:51 AM
He does it very well.

King of Aces
05-26-2009, 12:34 PM
Roger has TONS of junk. He just does it so well that he makes playing ugly look beautiful.

Mansewerz
05-26-2009, 12:37 PM
27 is the new 23 :D

veroniquem
05-26-2009, 12:38 PM
27 is the new 23 :D
Maybe it is. The future will tell!

egn
05-26-2009, 12:40 PM
Fed finally learns that manning up sometimes is about hitting the weak shot. It's about time, you think after playing Djokovic and seeing all his drop shots he would have learned a thing or two.

Cesc Fabregas
05-26-2009, 12:44 PM
Its hard to hit a effective drop when you are getting bullied around the court like Federer is against Nadal on clay so he has to be the agresser.

bizarre_opinion
05-26-2009, 12:46 PM

so i guess he should have known since birth?

sh@de
05-26-2009, 05:32 PM

HAHAHAHA yeah he is isn't he?

CHOcobo
05-26-2009, 06:00 PM
drop shots are freakin hard sometimes. hard to get it accurate. especially badminton.

veroniquem
05-26-2009, 06:02 PM
so i guess he should have known since birth?
Between birth and 28, there must have been some opportunities to learn, no?

Mansewerz
05-26-2009, 06:04 PM
drop shots are freakin hard sometimes. hard to get it accurate. especially badminton.

Since when was this board about badminton :D

subaru3169
05-27-2009, 12:24 AM
i'm thinking he perhaps should've tried to utilize this earlier on in his career, especially on clay.. it does make things easier sometimes

Gen
05-27-2009, 12:39 AM
His dropshots are no threat for Nadal and Murray because they are fast enough to retrieve and convert this drop shot into a passing shot. That's what Nadal does all the time. So, dropshot, dear Roger, as much as possible!

Maybe it's really high time to hire somebody with some brains who'll have better ideas.

All-rounder
05-27-2009, 01:06 AM
His dropshots are no threat for Nadal and Murray because they are fast enough to retrieve and convert this drop shot into a passing shot. That's what Nadal does all the time. So, dropshot, dear Roger, as much as possible!

Maybe it's really high time to hire somebody with some brains who'll have better ideas.
I see you missed the madrid final ;)

theduh
05-27-2009, 01:47 AM
I see you missed the madrid final ;)

Nadal was tired! That's why he was unable to retrieve drop shots effectively.

P_Agony
05-27-2009, 01:52 AM

Fed has used the drop shot before, just not in the same amount. I think the 1st game of the Rome 2006 match against Nadal had quite a sick drop shot from Fed.

slice bh compliment
05-27-2009, 01:58 AM
Fed has used the drop shot before, just not in the same amount. I think the 1st game of the Rome 2006 match against Nadal had quite a sick drop shot from Fed.

Yes. Roger was looking solid to win that match. ... right up until that 4th set, when he 'trembled'. And Rafa took over.

He seemed pretty happy with his dropshot tactic after the Del Potro match in Madrid.

Let me just say, I'm really loving this tournament (Roland Garros 2009). Allez Roger! Vamos Rafa!

rafan
05-27-2009, 02:32 AM
- Roger Federer, dropshots: "I'm happy I got to learn how to use it over the years. I used to not be a fan of the dropshot at all -- I always thought it was a shot you only hit when you're panicking from the baseline, when you're scared maybe to take on the fight, you know. But today I realized that actually you can use it to your advantage against like players like today. It just makes it a little bit more easy."

Well thank you Mr Federer - you have confirmed what I always thought about the dropshot. However I am still shocked that a purist like him is using it. However if he is still having back trouble then it could shorten the rallies - as he said, if it is used to an advantage

vtmike
05-27-2009, 03:09 AM

So we know you definitely have no chance of being hired... ;)

tennis_hand
05-27-2009, 06:53 AM
being able to use the drop shot well just adds another dimension to his game. i think he is on his way back after beating nadal. that gave him lots of needed confidence.

Kid Carlos
05-27-2009, 08:02 AM
nice article on how Federer will win Roland Garrros this year.

http://tennisconnected.com/home/2009/05/25/why-federer-will-win-the-french/

King of Aces
05-27-2009, 04:41 PM
Well thank you Mr Federer - you have confirmed what I always thought about the dropshot. However I am still shocked that a purist like him is using it. However if he is still having back trouble then it could shorten the rallies - as he said, if it is used to an advantage

actually Yanick use the droppers and then followed to the net to win the FO. He also beat none other than Mats Wilander.....the Nadal of his day.

tennis_hand
05-27-2009, 05:48 PM
Maybe Federer did call McEnroe? or he called Wilander?
Both offered him help verbally.

slice bh compliment
05-27-2009, 05:51 PM
Good point abotu Yannick, definitely!

Counterpoint: I remember the RG final of '96....when Stich started off using the dropshot to good effect. Mixed it up well, attacked off it, and things were looking good for the first half-hour.

Then the plan backfired on him. Kafelnikov started to read the dropshot better, and it also got him to play closer to the baseline. That ended up working for Kafelnikov. And the match slipped away from Stich.

At the end, it was all Kafelnikov, iirc.

Anyway, it sure is fun to watch a player who mizes in some creative dropshots. I don't see it as anything less-than-manly tennis. I think a versatile, diverse game that includes dropshots is actuall WAY more manly than the baseline bashing we see too much of.

rafan
05-28-2009, 02:36 AM
actually Yanick use the droppers and then followed to the net to win the FO. He also beat none other than Mats Wilander.....the Nadal of his day.

I think if your opponent gets used to you using the drop shot then its a bit of a risk

aphex
05-28-2009, 02:44 AM
Between birth and 28, there must have been some opportunities to learn, no?

jeez...
you've even started talking like him...
you should seek professional help!

Stinkdyr
05-28-2009, 06:11 AM
just wait til he learns to volley!