PDA

View Full Version : tsonga - my favourite to K.O at F.O

manny pacquiao P4P king
05-26-2009, 10:09 AM
tsonga is my bet for being the first man to beat nadal at the french open, could be this year, could be next, i don't know when. but watching him on clay recently has made me think hes got a perfect game for beating nadal.

he's got power - big serve, big forehand, and i think had backhand is good aswell - from what ive seen from it. the clay has been somewhat fast this year at roland garros and could get quick points from his serve and his first strike play (1 - 2 punch).

fit - obviously, you have to have good endurance to beat nadal on clay - and tsongaa is very fit - built like muhammed ali. if he got into a 5th setter, then he wouldn't lose from exaustion.

he can play at the net - when nadal does get back big shots - tsonga is able to come to the net, he has great hands - good drop volley, just a good volleyer in general, especially for someone who hits it as hard as he can.

if he also plays percentages a little better aswell. sometimes he hits it a little too hard for what the situation calls for, if he tones down his power - and still making his shots effective - then the errors won't be as much. The problem with so many power players is that nadal makes them hit 20 hard shots to win one point - and eventually the opponent will miss.

well, what do you think??? can tsonga challenge nadal at the french open?

veroniquem
05-26-2009, 10:10 AM
Tsonga is NOT good on clay. Tsonga will have a hard time passing 2 rounds. Tsonga would get destroyed by either Fed or Nadal but he won't make it that far anyway.

DarthFed
05-26-2009, 10:25 AM
Tsonga? nah i doubt it, easliy his Weakest Surface

shadows
05-26-2009, 10:29 AM
Jo is awesome but he'll lose next round to Monaco D:

he's not got the right sort of game for clay, I could see him making it through a couple of rounds in the future but he's never going to be a huge threat on it imo.

joeri888
05-26-2009, 10:30 AM
If anyone other than Federer, Nadal or Djokovic is active on tour already and is going to beat Nadal there it's either Verdasco or Del Potro. NOT Tsonga.

Pirao
05-26-2009, 11:58 AM
Lol at this thread.

bolo
05-26-2009, 12:05 PM
tsonga is pretty weak on clay. Could be a triple bagel given that nadal is recharging daily from the grind of the clay court season.

SAFINATORZ
05-26-2009, 12:06 PM
Maybe On a grass court, I doubt he'll be a threat on Clay.!

imalil2gangsta4u
05-26-2009, 12:10 PM
I agree about the fact that his game is perfect to beat nadal, but i dont think on clay.

Cesc Fabregas
05-26-2009, 12:13 PM
Please, he wont take a set off Nadal on clay.

Frankauc
05-26-2009, 12:13 PM
it would b ean interesting matchup for sure. But i dont think he would beat nadal on clay. Coud he face him soon?

norbac
05-26-2009, 12:30 PM
Maybe if he plays shirtless with nipple tassels...

Turning Pro
05-26-2009, 12:32 PM
haha, Tsonga has no chance against Nadal on clay. He's 1-3 against Nadal on hard courts.

egn
05-26-2009, 12:49 PM
Lol tsonga is quite bad on clay...he is only 5-5 on the surface in atp matches.

Gugafan
05-26-2009, 12:56 PM
Tsonga has only played 8 tournaments on clay largely due to injurys. He is less experienced on the surface, but certainly too early to say he is weak on the dirt. He just needs to learn to be abit more patient during the rallys, and not overcook the forehand as often. If he can get through a few rounds, there is no reason why he cant be a threat to the top players.

He needs to play to his strengths as the OP mentions. Big serve and forehand are going to damage even on slow surfaces.
Tsongas ability to end points at the net, should put him in good shape if he takes on offensive counterpunchers that stand well behind the baseline.

tacou
05-26-2009, 04:17 PM
my favorite player, but I'd be super happy if he makes it past monaco, let alone makes second week.

bluetrain4
05-26-2009, 04:30 PM
Tsonga has only played 8 tournaments on clay largely due to injurys. He is less experienced on the surface, but certainly too early to say he is weak on the dirt. He just needs to learn to be abit more patient during the rallys, and not overcook the forehand as often. If he can get through a few rounds, there is no reason why he cant be a threat to the top players.

He needs to play to his strengths as the OP mentions. Big serve and forehand are going to damage even on slow surfaces.
Tsongas ability to end points at the net, should put him in good shape if he takes on offensive counterpunchers that stand well behind the baseline.

I agree. It's not that he shouldn't at times be more patient than when on faster surfaces, but he can't make a wholesale change to some generic claycourt style of play. He has to do what he does best and let the chips fall where they may. If he loses to a good clay court player (like Monaco), so be it, no shame.

Edberg made the FO final and 3 other QFs coming into net. At times, he stayed back more than usual, but, he still played his attacking game. He didn't all of a sudden become a baseliner.

scraps234
05-26-2009, 04:38 PM
maybe but lets see him play monaco first... i think federer or djok have a better chance at nadal imo...

Serendipitous
05-26-2009, 04:42 PM
Monaco will give him a SERIOUS run for his money.

sh@de
05-26-2009, 05:44 PM
what.... I'd say Tsonga has a great chance of beating Nadal anywhere... BUT CLAY. The guy can't PLAY on clay :-?

Gugafan
05-28-2009, 01:21 PM
Tsonga is NOT good on clay. Tsonga will have a hard time passing 2 rounds. Tsonga would get destroyed by either Fed or Nadal but he won't make it that far anyway.

Lol tsonga is quite bad on clay...he is only 5-5 on the surface in atp matches.

What a failure Tsonga is on clay. *Sigh*

shadows
05-28-2009, 01:27 PM
he was previously really =p

I'm a huge Jo fan and I didn't think he could do it xD

Djokovic Fan (I'mSerbian)
05-28-2009, 01:30 PM
I'm not fan of Tsonga bu i think that he could take one set from Nadal and that is all eventually 2 sets if he's lucky but win no, not at all