PDA

View Full Version : ESPN2 Coverage sucks as usual

barry
05-26-2009, 10:24 AM
The Tennis Channel live streams early in the morning are much better; I can't stand the bias commentary on ESPN and the ticker tape taking up a portion of the screen. Let’s show tennis, no one cares about yesterdays street ball scores. Plus select better matches, they are tape delayed anyway.

I wish they were out of tennis!

Forehand Forever
05-26-2009, 11:19 AM
I watched the TTC streams yesterday and the commentators were horrible.

The bottomline on ESPN barely takes up any of the screen and I'm not sure where you're getting these "street ball" scores from unless you're talking about basketball. Theres other sports out there besides tennis.

Andyk028
05-26-2009, 12:56 PM
the camera angles are wierd thats the only flaw in the broadcasting.

Shaolin
05-26-2009, 02:17 PM
ESPN's idea of a perfect tennis broadcasting day:

Intro-commentators talk about Williams sisters' and Sharapova's chances at the tournament.

Full coverage of Williams match warmup.

Uninterrupted (except for commercials) coverage of Williams match (or Sharapova match).

On-court interview with Williams sister.

Off court press conference interview with Williams sister, or both is they are both available.

Commentary on Williams sisters chances next round.

5 minutes of coverage of extremely compelling ATP match in the 5th set.

Venus and Serena retrospective.

Coverage of Sharapova practicing for the next day's match.

Replay of Williams sister match, with full commentary and interviews.

jamesblakefan#1
05-26-2009, 02:26 PM
^^^Sad but true.

jms007
05-26-2009, 02:28 PM

Intro-commentators talk about Williams sisters' and Sharapova's chances at the tournament.

Uninterrupted (except for commercials) coverage of Williams match (or Sharapova match).

Off court press conference interview with Williams sister, or both is they are both available.

Don't forget that every Serena or Venus interview must be shown live and preferably interrupting an ongoing match. Since, as you know, somehow the Wlliams sisters are not recordable with today's technology.

woodrow1029
05-26-2009, 02:32 PM
The thing that I can't stand on ESPN's coverage is that every day, after listening to McEnroe, I come on to TW and several people are quoting which rules were broken, which umpires screwed up, which players cheated because of the wrong information that he gives. I just wish that he would do something similar to baseball or football. If something happens, and he's not sure if it was done correctly, the producers should find the rule, or procedure and inform him, or post it on the screen so that millions of viewers aren't getting incorrect information.

kevvycore
05-26-2009, 02:43 PM

you forgot to add how they talk about what a warrior serna is and how everything was against her but she some how found a way to win. they only show the williams because the men cant get through the first round.

bdon
05-26-2009, 03:06 PM
I watched the TTC streams yesterday and the commentators were horrible.

The bottomline on ESPN barely takes up any of the screen and I'm not sure where you're getting these "street ball" scores from unless you're talking about basketball. Theres other sports out there besides tennis.
I agree with the commentator being bad on TTC. They put me to sleep. Other then that the streams a great.

obnoxious2
05-26-2009, 03:12 PM
I hate all the coverage on the williams sisters. Nobody cares about their pompous attitude and their self loathing pity.

bulldawg
05-26-2009, 03:29 PM

You forgot to mention the multiple camera shot of Oracene and Richard in the players boxes.

scraps234
05-26-2009, 03:32 PM
anyone know what time matches start 2moro for usa?btw soz to get off topic

DNShade
05-26-2009, 03:34 PM
Not sure if you guys noticed today as well - ESPN decided to broadcast the matches of the day in a smaller format with a big letterbox around it - with lots of unused room on the sides - and the ticker and other scores rather that just super-ing it over the bottom of the screen like they've done before...I mean who needs to use the entire screen right? Very strange. Never seen that before except when the feed wasn't in true HD - which this is...Gotta love'em!

At least with TTC they use the whole screen...

comegetsome
05-26-2009, 03:49 PM
good old espn bias coverage.....

Here's my "hope they lose so espn shows other matches" list

{}S. Williams
{}V. Williams
{}Sharapova
{}Ivanovic
{X}Blake
{}Roddick

If they are ever playing a match, espn will make sure you know about it.

tenis
05-26-2009, 03:50 PM
Not sure if you guys noticed today as well - ESPN decided to broadcast the matches of the day in a smaller format with a big letterbox around it - with lots of unused room on the sides - and the ticker and other scores rather that just super-ing it over the bottom of the screen like they've done before...I mean who needs to use the entire screen right? Very strange. Never seen that before except when the feed wasn't in true HD - which this is...Gotta love'em!

...maybe they compressed all to go easy and cheaper over the satelite?

jamesblakefan#1
05-26-2009, 03:52 PM
They didn't even show the Blake match today. They cut away as soon as he went down a set and a break to show Williams doubles.

marc45
05-26-2009, 03:55 PM
i hate the ticker, fowler, and sometimes too much women's/williams tennis

DNShade
05-26-2009, 03:55 PM
...maybe they compressed all to go easy and cheaper over the satelite?

I have no idea - I don't think so. It was still in HD and format. They haven't done that before - and of course for the interview segments and the birthday thing for Cliff was full 16x9 - so it was a choice. A bad one.

pcpshortbus
05-26-2009, 04:46 PM

they were showing the williams womens doubles match today instead of santoro in his fourth set. espn has some serious problems with their priorities of matches

skip1969
05-26-2009, 05:10 PM
i'm just not as sure as espn seems to be that people will tune in (in droves) to watch a match that:

a) they've already seen live on another channel (or streamed online)
b) the know the outcome of (either because they watched it or got the score/recap from the official website)
c) isn't being played live (when the viewers know for certain that other live matches are being played in real time)

as far as i cam concerned live coverage should take precedence over everything else. i can think of no other sport shown on tv where they actually preempt showing something live in order to show something on tape. makes absolutely no sense, especially in our tech age.

skip1969
05-26-2009, 05:16 PM
i also gotta say that if god almighty was teamed up with elvis . . . and they were playing bigfoot and batman in the first round of doubles . . . $20 says that espn wouldn't show it. i mean, first round of doubles?? who cares?

tacou
05-26-2009, 05:30 PM
only thing that truly bothers me is how/when they show matches.

two specific examples today:
Williams Sisters doubles. I don't care if they are the Williams Sisters, there is no chance any woman's doubles match is going to attract new fans to the sport.

and then, either during Tsonga or Blake, P-Mac and some other fool were on screen talking for 5minutes while the match played on in the back-ground, sound only. what?? I want tennis! not talk about tennis! that's what this forum is for

jon-z
05-28-2009, 04:58 AM
The Tennis Channel live streams early in the morning are much better; I can't stand the bias commentary on ESPN and the ticker tape taking up a portion of the screen. Letís show tennis, no one cares about yesterdays street ball scores. Plus select better matches, they are tape delayed anyway.

I wish they were out of tennis!

You so have this right. I hated the day that US OPEN coverage switched from the USA Network to ESPN. That ESPN ticker royally sucks. Thank you so much for shrinking my viewing area ESPN, as if following the tennis ball over red clay wasn't hard enough....

iamtheavalanche
05-28-2009, 10:46 AM
i'm sorry but this is ridiculous. they are showing a TAPED venus williams' match, which was the first match on this court today, instead of showing a LIVE djokovic match!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

does anyone have a phone number or email address for ESPN? i'm complaining to them!!!!!!!!

AprilFool
05-28-2009, 10:47 AM
Updated. Well, Venus is gone. But they'll probably just show Serana matches twice as much.

VivalaVida
05-28-2009, 10:50 AM
I am ****ed of right now. They are showing venus's recorded match instead of live tennis matches. I wanted to watch Djokovic :evil:

Lefty78
05-28-2009, 10:51 AM
i'm sorry but this is ridiculous. they are showing a TAPED venus williams' match, which was the first match on this court today, instead of showing a LIVE djokovic match!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

does anyone have a phone number or email address for ESPN? i'm complaining to them!!!!!!!!

no phone # for espn, but i'm mad as hell too. this bites, i want to see djokovic!

AprilFool
05-28-2009, 10:52 AM

I pray during every tourney for the screaming sisters to lose first round for this very reason. E

Serendipitous
05-28-2009, 11:17 AM

I couldn't believe my eyes.

Why the hell would they rather show a taped WTA match instead of a live Djokovic match??!?!?!? Even if it is a Williams sister!?!?!??

This is just ridiculous........

leonidas1982
05-28-2009, 11:20 AM
Now it's a taped Federer match. These guys are delusional. I guess they realize they are irrelevant due to the internet.

skip1969
05-28-2009, 11:22 AM
exactly. somehow, taped tennis is the priority at espn. even though ferrero just won a tiebreak to take his match into a fifth. and nole just pulled out the second set, after being down a break.

skip1969
05-28-2009, 11:25 AM
right NOW, they have an excuse to go to taped matches . . . because they just suspended play due to darkness. they just wasted the last hour or so with crap they could have shown now.

they are fools if they think anyone with a laptop or a smartphone is gonna just sit back and watch stuff they have either already seen or already gotten the results for hours ago.

tournaking
05-28-2009, 11:26 AM
I thought Eurosport was bad here in England( for some reason they leave a match for the Giro D'Italia cycling), but showing re-runs when live tennis is on is ludicrous

leonidas1982
05-28-2009, 11:39 AM
I suppose this is their journey to becoming irrelevant.

mikeler
05-28-2009, 11:40 AM
NBC is the worst about showing taped coverage but ESPN is trying to catch them.

deltox
05-28-2009, 11:48 AM
The thing that I can't stand on ESPN's coverage is that every day, after listening to McEnroe, I come on to TW and several people are quoting which rules were broken, which umpires screwed up, which players cheated because of the wrong information that he gives. I just wish that he would do something similar to baseball or football. If something happens, and he's not sure if it was done correctly, the producers should find the rule, or procedure and inform him, or post it on the screen so that millions of viewers aren't getting incorrect information.

i agree here, but without ESPN there would be no tennis in america except on ttc. and with their budget we would be watching 250s only.

its my understanding that ESPN bought the rights to the slams and are selling time slots for ttc at a discounted rate. otherwise we would all be on the net watching streams only in america

leonidas1982
05-28-2009, 11:51 AM
NBC is the worst about showing taped coverage but ESPN is trying to catch them.

Was it NBC or CBS that had the bright idea of showing one of the men's semifinals taped instead of live? There was a rain delay, so they could have shown the second match as their broadcast slot began. Instead, they showed the first match (taped0.

BobFL
05-28-2009, 11:58 AM
For everyone who hates that crappy 'ESPN2HD' frame: I use "aspect" option on my dvr remore control and when you go to zoom mode it is tennis ONLY in full screen mode!! :D

johnny ballgame
05-28-2009, 12:02 PM
Loving the DirecTV coverage though... 5 matches at once all on different HD channels!

leonidas1982
05-28-2009, 12:08 PM
I do, however, like their "Technically Speaking" segment.

mikeler
05-28-2009, 12:24 PM
Was it NBC or CBS that had the bright idea of showing one of the men's semifinals taped instead of live? There was a rain delay, so they could have shown the second match as their broadcast slot began. Instead, they showed the first match (taped0.

I think that was NBC last year at the French Open. I almost took a day off from work to watch the semis. Now I know better.

mikeler
05-28-2009, 12:24 PM
Loving the DirecTV coverage though... 5 matches at once all on different HD channels!

Me too. I'm never going back to cable.

dugger5688
05-28-2009, 12:36 PM
The biggest problem is that amount of womens tennis they play, no offense to any hard working female players out there, but right now the WTA is a joke. Half the players can't move around the court or keep their ball toss on target.

If you watch in HD they downsample it and put it nearly in half-screen. I forgot to DVR the tennis channel coverage and am paying dearly for it :-(

dugger5688
05-28-2009, 12:38 PM
To complain to ESPN:
http://espn.go.com/sitetools/s/contact/espntv.html

kumat63
05-28-2009, 01:00 PM

Yes, this is highly annoying--it's an HD signal, but they shrink the size a bit to put it in a 4:3 aspect ratio. WTF? Write ESPN on this, go to ESPN contact us and tell them how much it sucks!

IvanYentl
05-28-2009, 01:04 PM
I thought Eurosport was bad here in England( for some reason they leave a match for the Giro D'Italia cycling)

what's wrong with that? I love the Giro!

IvanYentl
05-28-2009, 01:06 PM
The biggest problem is that amount of womens tennis they play, no offense to any hard working female players out there, but right now the WTA is a joke. Half the players can't move around the court or keep their ball toss on target.

Correct on quality of play, but several of the current female players are hot, which is always nice in HD.

TonyB
05-28-2009, 01:09 PM
And here we go again with their lousy coverage. They showed one set of the Federer match, and now they're probably going to switch to a women's match. And they'll show every excruciating point.

fastdunn
05-28-2009, 01:19 PM
i'm tired of watching serena over and over again.

TonyB
05-28-2009, 02:17 PM
Well, I was 100% right on the money. They're showing a non-match repeat of Serena. What's the point???

Show Djoker's match. Replay the entire Federer match. Do SOMETHING other than constantly replay boring women's matches.

Seany
05-29-2009, 08:06 AM
Murray and Sharapova playing.

Yet ESPN are now showing Williams doubles....wtf.

EPaps
05-29-2009, 09:10 AM

This is SO annoying.

powerblock
05-29-2009, 09:15 AM

The ability to watch what you want to watch, not what one network decides you should watch. It's a beautiful thing. My only complaint, those other channels are not HD, even though they claim to be.

Mick
05-29-2009, 09:19 AM
Murray and Sharapova playing.

Yet ESPN are now showing Williams doubles....wtf.

and now they are showing the venus williams press conference :(

Chris De Tone
05-29-2009, 09:20 AM
I cannot watch ESPN anymore...I stick to Tennis Channel and websites. ESPN has ruined many sports, except the ones that they think matter. NFL, MLB and NBA. As a tennis fan, I hate how they own the rights to all 4 majors but show them in such a ridiculous way. They think that there are only about 6 players in the world worth showing (Williams sisters, Roddick, Sharapova, Nadal, Federer). It is because of this that I actually wish for them all to lose.

skip1969
05-29-2009, 09:30 AM
hmm . . . is directv gonna do that for the other slams, i wonder? that alone would be worth the switchover from cable for me.

powerblock
05-29-2009, 09:48 AM
hmm . . . is directv gonna do that for the other slams, i wonder? that alone would be worth the switchover from cable for me.

They have in the past for every slam, so I imagine it'll continue this year for Wimbledon and the US Open. They did the same thing for the Masters in golf.

Figjam
05-29-2009, 09:52 AM
ARRRRRH!!! ESPN is SPOILING matches!!!!!
STUPID STUPID STUPID!!!!!!

Why am I watching??? those idiots just told me the scores... so WTF are they going to show for the next 3 hours???

I was hoping they would show the Nadal hewitt match, but then Cahil blurts out the result, and im like WTF?, thanks for telling me, MORON!!!

chiruanna
05-29-2009, 09:58 AM
I dont think its just ESPN, all tennis on tv in the US sucks.
I dont know about tennis channel but all the regular stuff.

They dont show any doubles either, except when the Williams' are playing.

AprilFool
05-29-2009, 10:00 AM
ARRRRRH!!! ESPN is SPOILING matches!!!!!
STUPID STUPID STUPID!!!!!!

Why am I watching??? those idiots just told me the scores... so WTF are they going to show for the next 3 hours???

I was hoping they would show the Nadal hewitt match, but then Cahil blurts out the result, and im like WTF?, thanks for telling me, MORON!!!

Brilliant, ain't they?:twisted:
They did that yesterday before showing the Federer match. Though they didn't reveal the scores, Cliffy revealed that Federer fans "had quite a scare today" before showing the match. Duh

johnny ballgame
05-29-2009, 10:03 AM

You'll probably save money too - the promotions are pretty strong these days. I switched from comcast a few months ago and I'm saving about $60 per month (TV + Internet) during the promotional period. Free HBO and Showtime for 6 months is a nice perk as well!

Milan
05-29-2009, 10:54 AM
ESPN is SO SAD it's ridiculous.

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. LET TENNIS CHANNEL TAKE OVER COMPLETELY. What's this half *** stuff. Good Coverage in morning, Trash coverage in afternoon. Does not make sense.

Chris Fowler, Mary Joe, Pam Shriver, Mary Carillo, Dick Enberg should all be hung along with the Politicians and Bankers.....

Serendipitous
05-29-2009, 11:39 AM
and now they are showing the venus williams press conference :(

It was the most boring press conference I have ever heard.

Who the hell would rather see that than live tennis?

jamesblakefan#1
05-29-2009, 12:09 PM
It was the most boring press conference I have ever heard.

Who the hell would rather see that than live tennis?

That was very boring. I just thought they were going to show a clip, and I was watching for 5 mins like "WTF is this??? Put the tennis back on." I'd definetly rather watch a Sharapova shreikfest for 2hrs than Venus talk for 2hrs.

skip1969
05-29-2009, 01:28 PM
You'll probably save money too - the promotions are pretty strong these days. I switched from comcast a few months ago and I'm saving about $60 per month (TV + Internet) during the promotional period. Free HBO and Showtime for 6 months is a nice perk as well!
i'm gonna look into it. thanks, johnnyb.

tenis
05-29-2009, 07:10 PM
Did anybody email ESPN instead of crying here? I did, but we need more complains!

jon-z
06-04-2009, 01:04 PM
Did anybody email ESPN instead of crying here? I did, but we need more complains!

I did as well, probably got the same "form letter" reply as you? Here's what they wrote me:

"Thank you for writing.

We compress the video during our French Open telecasts to prevent our news and information service, the BottomLine, from obscuring the court. The BottomLine is a 24/7 service that fans expect and do tune in for.

We appreciate your giving us the opportunity to respond to your concern and have shared your message with the appropriate executives.

Sincerely,
ESPN Viewer Response"

My initial complaint was polite, my reply to their reply was, well, outraged that they knowingly take standard TV, compress it, to make sub-standard TV. I can barely track the ball in their French open coverage.....

kobe3pointer
06-04-2009, 01:06 PM
What channel is the Tennis channel on DISH?

Cant find it...

Im just stuck with good old espn