PDA

View Full Version : Nadal's backhand slice

Cesc Fabregas
05-26-2009, 12:22 PM
I've noticed that in the last couple of months Nadal's slice has really got penatrating before it was just a loopy chip to keep him in the ralley now he can really knife it and can it to stay low, anyone else agree?

Shaolin
05-26-2009, 12:24 PM
Nadal has a great backhand slice. Really gets a lot of shoulder turn and cuts through it. He also volleys awesome, very underrated at net.

Mansewerz
It has gotten much better, but I think that Fed and Murray have better slices. Murray's I would say is the best of any 2 hander on tour.

bolo
I've noticed that in the last couple of months Nadal's slice has really got penatrating before it was just a loopy chip to keep him in the ralley now he can really knife it and can it to stay low, anyone else agree?

he had that great one versus fed. in the australian, best slice I have seen in a long time.

veroniquem
Yes, that's a shot he has improved a lot lately.

Mansewerz
05-26-2009, 12:25 PM
he had that great one versus fed. in the australian, best slice I have seen in a long time.

Which one was that? I remember a really good one at Wimby 08 when Fed came into net, and he hit a penetrating slice passing shot cc.

Cesc Fabregas
05-26-2009, 12:28 PM

He did a great one yestarday he was in the forecourt he looked like he was going to smack a backhand and then really knifed a slice in and caught Daniel off guard it was Murray/Federer like.

bolo
05-26-2009, 12:43 PM
Which one was that? I remember a really good one at Wimby 08 when Fed came into net, and he hit a penetrating slice passing shot cc.

think it might have been in the 5th set. Let me look for it, remember seeing it in some of the compilations on you tube.

bolo
05-26-2009, 12:43 PM
He did a great one yestarday he was in the forecourt he looked like he was going to smack a backhand and then really knifed a slice in and caught Daniel off guard it was Murray/Federer like.

now if he can just add the S/V. :)

P_Agony
05-26-2009, 12:49 PM

It's gotten better when Nadal is in control of the rally. However, when Nadal is using it when he's it trouble, it's way too weak and short. There is a lot of room for imporvment (but nonetheless it has improved).

Cesc Fabregas
05-26-2009, 12:51 PM
now if he can just add the S/V. :)

Yep then he will have ever play in the book.

bolo
05-26-2009, 12:57 PM

5th set 1-1, 1st point.

Gugafan
05-26-2009, 01:00 PM
I have seen him use it to try and bring players into the net. Still not as effective as Murray or Federer. Infact Roddick also has one of the best sliced backhand for a two hander. Mixes it up quite well, to prevent exposing the weaker topspin backhand.

SkiloAce
05-26-2009, 01:06 PM
What else is new?...Nadal has shown over the years that he strives to improve all aspects of his game (Service, backhand, etc.)...

deltox
05-26-2009, 01:40 PM
dr ivo owns the backhand slice.. ... ....

The-Champ
05-26-2009, 01:55 PM

It was as good as the backhand slice winner against Federer at wimbledon last year. Can't remembe what set it was.

Grizvok
05-26-2009, 02:50 PM
Nadal has a great backhand slice.

Cesc Fabregas
05-26-2009, 02:51 PM
It has gotten much better, but I think that Fed and Murray have better slices. Murray's I would say is the best of any 2 hander on tour.

Probably reckon Haas and Federer have the best one hander slice on tour.

thejoe
05-26-2009, 03:10 PM
Feli Lopez has a pretty nasty slice.

Lsmkenpo
05-26-2009, 03:40 PM
His slice is much improved, he used to hit it across the front of his body too much putting side spin on the ball.

Also agree that his net game is very under rated, volley against volley, Nadal wins more than he loses. He stays under control at the net, and hits sensible volleys.

Another Spaniard with a surprisingly good net game is Carlos Moya.

Blinkism
05-26-2009, 03:43 PM
Nadal has a great backhand slice. Really gets a lot of shoulder turn and cuts through it. He also volleys awesome, very underrated at net.

This
10 char

sh@de
05-26-2009, 05:38 PM
Yep. Both his net game and his slice are underrated. Well maybe not his slice anymore. It's certainly improved loads.