PDA

View Full Version : Best career in order out of Hewitt, Safin, and Roddick

grafselesfan
05-26-2009, 03:50 PM
Between Hewitt, Safin, and Roddick who do you feel had the best career in order from best, second best, third best. They are listed in the poll options in each possible order.

I voted Hewitt best, Safin second best, Roddick third best.

jamesblakefan#1
05-26-2009, 03:54 PM
I'd say Hewitt would have to be best, Wimby and USO titles. I took Roddick over Safin b/c of more consistency, top 10 for the past 6 yrs or so, where as Safin's ranking has been like a roller coaster. Also, Roddick did more in his career than Safin, with arguably less talent than Safin. In other words, Roddick came closer to maximizing his potential. That is why I give him the nod over Safin.

GameSampras
05-26-2009, 03:58 PM
Hewitt has the best out of all 3 I suppose. Safin has been MIA for most of entire career but yet still has two slam wins over two GOAT candidates in the process.

Roddick of course has had the longevity at the top but only 1 slam going on a decade to show for it. So...

1. hewitt
2. Safin
3. Roddick

Regardless of how consistent Roddick has been in the top 10, thats just not enough to warrant him over Safin and Hewitt who had short lifelines in tennis yet accomplished more than Roddick in a such a shorter time. Now if Roddick could have managed a few more slams, then I would have put Roddick as the top. But 1 slam.. Is ridiculous considering how long Roddick has been a consistent top 10. That destroys his resume

P_Agony
05-26-2009, 03:58 PM
I think Safin, Hewitt, and Roddick.

JeMar
05-26-2009, 04:17 PM
I voted Hewitt, Roddick, Safin, but I can definitely see why someone would rate Safin over Roddick.

Uthree
05-26-2009, 04:25 PM
Hewitt No 1. Youngest world #1 (and he must rank high if their is ranking of the mentally toughest players).
Maybe Safin #2 Beat Samprass to win the US and Federer in the semis to get the Aussie Open.

veroniquem
05-26-2009, 06:32 PM
Hewitt would have to come first but I put Roddick second even though he only has 1 slam just because his career as a top player was (is) longer and more consistent than Safin's.

Commando Tennis Shorts
05-26-2009, 07:09 PM
Do you guys think Roddick's upside looks better, though? I realize he's already in his mid 20s, but he looks like he has quite a few more years ahead of him. When it's all said and done, maybe Roddick has the best career out of the 3 by the time Roddick retires.

paterson
05-26-2009, 10:17 PM
1. Hewitt
2. Roddick
3. Safin

grafselesfan
05-26-2009, 10:20 PM
Do you guys think Roddick's upside looks better, though? I realize he's already in his mid 20s, but he looks like he has quite a few more years ahead of him. When it's all said and done, maybe Roddick has the best career out of the 3 by the time Roddick retires.

The only think Roddick will really increase in the big picture of his career is longevity. He isnt winning another slam, hugely unlikely he is ever even reaching another slam final. Whether he will even win another Masters title is doubtful. So the only way the big picture of his career will improvee is his longevity, and how that could help him in comparision to players like these depends how much you value that. His biggest achievements of slam finals, stints at #1 or #2 in the world, even Masters titles, are all in the past IMO.

IvanAndreevich
05-26-2009, 10:31 PM
Like it or not, Roddick has been a factor for the longest time out of the 3. I voted for him.

Hewitt won his slams not by beating RF. His W title is a joke over Nalbandian who shat his pants there. His only good win is over Sampras. When he did meet THE FED he got double baggled at the USO. Roddick at least played many closer matches with Fed on the big stage. Winning sets at Wimbledon and USO. If not for Fed, he would have a few more slams.

Roddick > Safin > Hewitt.

380pistol
05-26-2009, 10:36 PM
Career wise... Hewitt, Roddick, Safin.

Ability/Talent wise.... Safin, Hewitt, Roddick.

flyer
05-26-2009, 11:12 PM
hewitt won wimbledon...

Cesc Fabregas
05-26-2009, 11:42 PM
Best career
1.Hewitt
2.Safin
3.Roddick

Most respectable
1.Roddick
2.Hewitt
3.Safin

Dutch-Guy
05-27-2009, 12:21 AM
Career:

Hewitt
Safin
Roddick

Talent:

Safin
Hewitt
Roddick

Likeability:

Safin
Hewitt
Roddick

manny pacquiao P4P king
05-27-2009, 12:23 AM
i can't choose

hewitt won slams in the non - federer era, when hewitt dominated for a few years, all of the greats were fizzing out, if hewitt was younger and played in the fed/rafa era - then he would have no chance of winnign 1 slam let alone 2. hewitt beat roddick in 2001 US open simply because roddick lost his temper at a horrible call.

safin beat sampras and federer in both slams. his australian open 2005 was impressive, unlike hewitts wimbledon title. out of the three he has the better record in the slams - semi's of all 4.

roddick - done amazingly well since he was the only one out of the three when in there prime's had to play federer. if roddick played his prime when the others did - he would have had the better career. courts don't suit his game much now and returning has improved - and still he finds a way to stay top 10.

safin/roddick - if you look at the situations
hewitt - don't rate his sucess as he won the only good player at that time.

manny pacquiao P4P king
05-27-2009, 12:25 AM
Career:

Hewitt
Safin
Roddick

Talent:

Safin
Hewitt
Roddick

Likeability:

Safin
Hewitt
Roddick

hahahaha........ how could you put hewitt more likeable than roddick, hewitt is the most hated people on tour.

hewitt isn't talented, he relies on determination more than talent

Gorecki
05-27-2009, 12:28 AM
i cant stand Hewitt and i'm not a big fan of Roddick... therefore, my answer is clear and biased...

Dutch-Guy
05-27-2009, 12:38 AM
hahahaha........ how could you put hewitt more likeable than roddick, hewitt is the most hated people on tour.
Hewitt is more likeable than Roddick.He has been behaving very pretty well since the the James Blake incident in 2001,unlike A-Rod who constantly abuses of umpires in every match.
That's your opinion,which youre entitled to.Hewitt is more talented than A-Rod to me.

jamesblakefan#1
05-27-2009, 12:47 AM
i can't choose

hewitt won slams in the non - federer era, when hewitt dominated for a few years, all of the greats were fizzing out, if hewitt was younger and played in the fed/rafa era - then he would have no chance of winnign 1 slam let alone 2. hewitt beat roddick in 2001 US open simply because roddick lost his temper at a horrible call.

safin beat sampras and federer in both slams. his australian open 2005 was impressive, unlike hewitts wimbledon title. out of the three he has the better record in the slams - semi's of all 4.

roddick - done amazingly well since he was the only one out of the three when in there prime's had to play federer. if roddick played his prime when the others did - he would have had the better career. courts don't suit his game much now and returning has improved - and still he finds a way to stay top 10.

safin/roddick - if you look at the situations
hewitt - don't rate his sucess as he won the only good player at that time.

Gimelstob???

manny pacquiao P4P king
05-27-2009, 03:21 AM
has roddick ever been racist on court.

ive seen nadal shout at umpire before.

All-rounder
05-27-2009, 03:28 AM
has roddick ever been racist on court.

ive seen nadal shout at umpire before.
you don't want to start a flame war with nadal fans you will regret it

gj011
05-27-2009, 03:39 AM
Safin >= Hewitt >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Roddick

thalivest
05-27-2009, 03:46 AM
Someone doesnt like Roddick.

Rhino
05-27-2009, 03:53 AM

Dutch-Guy got it perfect. Hewitt is A LOT more likable than Roddick.

Hewitt annoyed some people with the Vicht, like Blake and a couple of the Argentinians (Chela, Coria), but he is a really nice guy - even Henman wanted him as a doubles partner!
Lot's of people - fans and players all over the world - think Roddick is a childish, self-absorbed pr!ck.

Also career wise, lets face it, people will only ever remember slams. It's Hewitt, Safin, and then Roddick.

julesb
05-27-2009, 03:58 AM
How is Hewitt a nice guy. He is a racist and homophobic.

manny pacquiao P4P king
05-27-2009, 04:25 AM
you don't want to start a flame war with nadal fans you will regret it

nadal fans cant argue for ****.

Rhino
05-27-2009, 06:50 AM
How is Hewitt a nice guy. He is a racist and homophobic.

Look if you mean that match against Blake then you are just an idiot. He was ACCUSING someone else (the linesman) of being racist in that match, if you think that makes a person racist then I guess you're racist for accusing Hewitt.

And I haven't heard anything about the homophobia, please explain.

Hewitt is a good guy but the American media tried to make him look bad because he had a habit of beating Americans at that time.

Commando Tennis Shorts
05-27-2009, 07:59 AM
I don't get where people get this notion that Hewitt is a nice guy. Anyone who has been following tennis for more than a few years knows that Hewitt is a disrespectful snob who takes everything way too seriously. Hell, at least Roddick can take a joke and is a funny guy

benmarks1984
05-27-2009, 09:07 AM
good topic.for me hewitt is defiantly had the best career.i understand the point that he was no1 when agassi/sampras/rafter had fizzled out but dont forget hewitt is similar age to federer.there is only 6 months seperating them in age so they were both around at the same time.and hewitt pre 2004 had federer in his pocket.
roddick deserved to win wimbledon atleast one year, while Safin was the best out of the three on clay.
but for me what defiantly puts hewitt's career at the top is his davis cup record.he carried Australia to victory in 2003 and got them to the final in 2000 & 2001 with great wins on CLAY over = Kuerten, before he got **** (in brazil in 01') costa (in spain in 00') and of course on Hard court over Federer from two sets down (in 03').

d-quik
05-27-2009, 09:12 AM
safin had to beat sampras and fed in their primes to win his two GS

roddick had the longest time in the top 10 and won his GS by robbing nalbandian in the semis and nailing a tired/apathetic ferrero in the final. won the GS in the interrum

hewitt won his 2 GS in the interrum as well. got pwned by an injury though.

but yeah, safin has to be number one for me

380pistol
05-27-2009, 10:19 AM
Someone doesnt like Roddick.

Coming from the guy who despises Agassi.

380pistol
05-27-2009, 10:21 AM
Look if you mean that match against Blake then you are just an idiot. He was ACCUSING someone else (the linesman) of being racist in that match, if you think that makes a person racist then I guess you're racist for accusing Hewitt.

And I haven't heard anything about the homophobia, please explain.

Hewitt is a good guy but the American media tried to make him look bad because he had a habit of beating Americans at that time.

I don't know if he's racist, could be, could not. But the general consensus is that he's not the nicest guy on tour.