PDA

View Full Version : Why do guys like the between-the-legs so much?


Defcon
05-26-2009, 10:58 PM
At least 50% of the time, they have time to run around and hit a normal shot, or at least a lob.

99% of the time, its a losing shot. The other 1% ends up in the highlight reel.

These guys are all pros, why do they insist on trying such a low percentage shot? And everyone does it. Case in point - Fed on matchpoint at 2005 AO against Safin.

I can only guess its some kind of male machismo thing :confused:

RCizzle65
05-26-2009, 11:06 PM
Just exactly why you said it, it is a flashy shot. I remember watching the 2000 US Open Final, Safin was going for a shot that looked like a tweener, then he wound up hitting a backhand, then McEnroe was relieved, saying between the legs was "becoming a pandemic" with the younger generation.
I just rewatched that match point from the AO 2005 semi, and it did seem like a really dumb shot, which is probably why he yelled right after the point, a lob would have been a good choice especially in a tight situation like that for Safin.

jamesblakefan#1
05-26-2009, 11:11 PM
Why do guys like the between-the-legs so much?

IDK, what do you think??? :)

RCizzle65
05-26-2009, 11:21 PM
IDK, what do you think??? :)

LMAO, maybe this is the reason why, it is subconscious!

EPaps
05-26-2009, 11:24 PM
Poorly worded title lol.

Grizvok
05-26-2009, 11:27 PM
Poorly worded title lol.

Wow. I didn't see it at first, but I sure do now.

subaru3169
05-27-2009, 12:53 AM
meh if it's a shot that got past the player anyway, might as well go for it

Gorecki
05-27-2009, 02:29 AM
hum... her.... hum... what exactly is your question? why do we like...

Clay lover
05-27-2009, 03:03 AM
Poorly worded title lol.

I agree too. The answer is a no-brainer:twisted:

oneleggedcardinal
05-27-2009, 04:08 AM
At first I thought this should have been in the rants and raves section.

sh@de
05-27-2009, 05:53 AM
Um I think it would hurt immensely if you chopped'em off me right now.

skip1969
05-27-2009, 05:56 AM
someone did the shot the other day (and lost the point, of course) . . . i forget who. but i was like, 'here it comes' (*roll eyes*).

Commando Tennis Shorts
05-27-2009, 07:54 AM
It's a completely unnecessary shot that probably shouldn't exist. It does not help you at all. If you have time to set up for a tweener, you have time to hit it over your shoulder or run around it. It is a macho and idiotic thing. . .but it sure does look cool

larry10s
05-27-2009, 09:06 AM
At least 50% of the time, they have time to run around and hit a normal shot, or at least a lob.

99% of the time, its a losing shot. The other 1% ends up in the highlight reel.

These guys are all pros, why do they insist on trying such a low percentage shot? And everyone does it. Case in point - Fed on matchpoint at 2005 AO against Safin.

I can only guess its some kind of male machismo thing :confused:

dont you like it between the legs also??

tonyg11
05-27-2009, 11:36 AM
it's not low percentage and sometimes it's easier to hit and more effective than running around. For a club player maybe it is, but i've hit passing shot winners in matches going between the legs. Not because i'm something special, but because it actually is an easy and effective shot in *certain situations*

kraggy
05-27-2009, 11:47 AM
I thought women like it better but I might be mistaken :P

jamesblakefan#1
05-27-2009, 12:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st49Qemod3I

Fed has the best tweeners. Remember the one vs. Henman?

sureshs
05-27-2009, 12:15 PM
Seinfeld said it best: Because it is there

mg.dc
05-27-2009, 12:30 PM
The 'under-the-legs' shot is in my opinion a necessary shot to learn.

There are times when this fancy shot is your last option. That said, most of the time you will lose the point. However, sometimes it will indeed win you a point.

In fact, the other day I was playing out some points with a friend. During one of the points I found myself at net. I hit a drop volley. My opponent reached out and just barely hit the ball: a perfectly chipped lob over my head. My first reaction in this situation: do all I can to get the ball back over the net without going under my legs.

But during my all-out sprint back to the ball, immediately I realized that it was too far away -- there was no way whatsoever for me to get around the ball; my only hope was to sprint straight to the ball, run right over it, and then, at the last second -- the last fraction of a second -- just before the ball hits the ground -- hit it under my legs.

So I did this and the ball just barely -- barely! -- skimmed over the net with a little side spin to it. (I thought it was going to hit the net but somehow it just made it over.) My opponent, who was right there waiting for it, chipped the ball into his side of the net because my ball just barely made it over.

In short, I've won points I had no chance of winning simply because I can hit this shot.

BoomerangX
05-27-2009, 12:54 PM
Poorly worded title lol.

I didn't catch that until I read your post :shock:

ChuDat
05-27-2009, 12:57 PM
Does anyone remember the tweener shot Safin did against Gasquet when Safin got a winner by hitting a volley behind his(Safin) back?

Maybe pro's do between-the-legs shots in order to make their opponent feel stupid, cause if the player gets the point by doing a tweener shot their opponent might feel pretty dumb but if they miss it's like whatever.

OJ ROD
05-27-2009, 01:34 PM
At least 50% of the time, they have time to run around and hit a normal shot, or at least a lob.

99% of the time, its a losing shot. The other 1% ends up in the highlight reel.

These guys are all pros, why do they insist on trying such a low percentage shot? And everyone does it. Case in point - Fed on matchpoint at 2005 AO against Safin.

I can only guess its some kind of male machismo thing :confused:

It could just be your female inferiority complex rearing it's ugly head. I mean "machismo" is blunt, dull, and powerful, ... not flashy.

Commando Tennis Shorts
05-27-2009, 01:37 PM
If you can sprint straight to the ball to hit the tweener, you can sprint *next to* the ball and hit an actual shot

Shaolin
05-27-2009, 01:38 PM
Its fun to do and the crowd loves it. Next question.

THESEXPISTOL
05-27-2009, 01:40 PM
THE GOAT:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKnmpcywFA0

GPG
05-27-2009, 01:48 PM
Don't forget Gonzo. He does this shot alot and almost everytime scores the point

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPtXUvgbnFo