PDA

View Full Version : Once again, French open fans lose out to NBC vs. Affiliate telethon battle

jon-z
05-27-2009, 09:13 AM
In some parts of the US, the French Open mid-Sunday has been the scene of an NBC vs. local Affiliate battle, as some local stations show a telethon. This issue seemed headed for resolution last year as some affiliates broadcasted on their digital sub-channel (for example 8.2 in Tampa FL). Wasn't very useful last year, but this year many of us have gotten the Digital conversion boxes.

But guess what - NBC is now banning the practice of the alternate digital broadcast - demanding "all or nothing" from their affiliates.

I actually talked to an NBC spokesperson at 30 Rock and it was pretty clear to me that they don't care about their viewers, but prefer doing battle with their affiliates.

If you're the type that likes to watch the mid-Sunday French coverage, and you live in "telethon land" consider contacting your local affiliate and seeing if they can pressure NBC to allow the alternate broadcast.

If anyone want's the NBC spokesperson contact info, let me know....

svijk
05-27-2009, 10:48 AM
I remember they did not show the semis last year for some crazy reason. Are they supposed to show the semis this year or is it on Tennis channel?

BreakPoint
05-27-2009, 11:11 AM
What really ticks me off is NBC's "10:00AM IN ALL TIME ZONES" policy for showing the semis and later rounds of Grand Slams. This policy totally hoses the viewers on the West Coast as NBC forces ESPN to blackout their coverage on the West Coast when it's only 7:00am on the West Coast because it's 10:00am on the East Coast so we end up seeing nothing! Then when it's 10:00am on the WC, both NBC and ESPN come on at the same time so we can't watch both and we missed all the live tennis that was on ESPN from 7:00am to 10:00am. :mad:

obnoxious2
05-27-2009, 12:23 PM
NBC sucks balls. They used to be the champion at sports broadcasting. Those good ol' days with double header NBA games on every Sunday. Now they are trash.

gflyer
05-31-2009, 11:44 AM
nbc sucks big time.
I am so f*** p**ed at them that it's better if i stop my post here.

R_Federer
05-31-2009, 11:49 AM
I understand the frustration and completely right. However, NBC is still much better than likes of ABC and ESPN. At least NBC will broadcast the final in great real HD quality.

subaru3169
05-31-2009, 11:52 AM
ya i don't have cable so i was relying on nbc.. not anymore=(

skip1969
05-31-2009, 12:06 PM
i just don't understand how they can justify blacking out the other tv players. tennis channel is committed to showing live tennis and they start at the crack of dawn in the us to do so. if nbc isn't willing to do the same, to alter their normal programming in order to show the most important tennis tourneys in the world . . . then they should step aside. it's crazy that a 4th-round match was blacked out nationally today. ok, it happened to be the first match that nadal lost in paris in forever, but regardless. it's still ridiculous.

tennis channel is STILL beating them to the punch. they've announced that they are running the full nadal/soderling match in four hours time. as we speak, nbc is airing their slapped-together coverage of the nadal match. why bother? if we in the states have to watch the match on delay, why not sit through the entire match on tennis channel instead of a condensed version on nbc?

jon-z
06-02-2009, 08:10 AM
If you got blacked out by NBC on Sunday, consider filing an online complaint with the FCC. Very easy just go to

https://esupport.fcc.gov/sform2000/formF!input.action?form_page=2000...

Check off "TV Station", give Sunday's date and time (5/31/09 - 3pm).

The details of the complaint are that NBC violated public interest by insisting their affiliates black out the tennis (and all other network programming) rather than present it on a digital subchannel.

NBC doesn't own the digital subchannel. Everything I read about the digital conversion says things like "All uses of subchannels must be consistent with the public interest, convenience and necessity...." so maybe the FCC will do something.

Might get someones attention if a bunch of people complain......

cghipp
06-02-2009, 08:17 AM
The quality of our NBC HD signal is horrendous. I don't know why, but the video is constantly broken up by pixellation and the audio stutters. Last weekend I had to watch the FO on "regular" NBC, which really ****ed me off. Especially when I see how great ESPN2 looks in comparison. If I call the cable company they'll just tell me to reset my cable box again. Yeah, the box is six days old - don't think it's the box!

jon-z
06-02-2009, 08:35 AM
The quality of our NBC HD signal is horrendous. I don't know why, but the video is constantly broken up by pixellation and the audio stutters. Last weekend I had to watch the FO on "regular" NBC, which really ****ed me off. Especially when I see how great ESPN2 looks in comparison. If I call the cable company they'll just tell me to reset my cable box again. Yeah, the box is six days old - don't think it's the box!

If you are close to the NBC affiliate, consider getting a DTV box rather than depending on your cable company for HD. Who knows what the cable company does to the signal. The HD over the air is uncompressed and, if you have enough signal strength
>> GEORGOUS <<

The DTV boxes are often free with the 40 dollar government coupon.