PDA

View Full Version : Nadal's FO backhand bothers me so much

LanceStern
05-27-2009, 09:31 AM
I'm watching Nadal vs. Gabashvili...

Nadal hits the backhand like 5 feet over the net. It's frustrating. I understand defense, but high loopy balls upset me.

Gabash is putting up a strong fight second set.

oneleggedcardinal
05-27-2009, 09:53 AM
Personally, I've always found Nadal's game despicable...just my opinion, though.

TennisandMusic
05-27-2009, 09:58 AM
High net clearance is pretty typical for people playing the modern game. What's the big deal? Would a bunch of you prefer he hits super flat like Blake, Berdych or Tursunov? How often are those guys winning? Not to mention the higher ball is just more difficult to deal with on clay.

Cesc Fabregas
05-27-2009, 10:00 AM

Nadal hits the backhand like 5 feet over the net. It's frustrating. I understand defense, but high loopy balls upset me.

Like it or not its a great shot to have in your armoury.

oneleggedcardinal
05-27-2009, 10:05 AM
High net clearance is pretty typical for people playing the modern game. What's the big deal? Would a bunch of you prefer he hits super flat like Blake, Berdych or Tursunov? How often are those guys winning? Not to mention the higher ball is just more difficult to deal with on clay.

That's a great comment. Way to offer an extreme example to make the the "bunch" of us see the light. It's really too bad it's irrelevant.

thejoe
05-27-2009, 10:08 AM

Who cares if they are winning? They're entertaining. Why do you think I support Feliciano Lopez? For his results? He's won one match in the last 3 grand slams, but I still support him because, for me, he's the most entertaining player on tour.

To sum up: If Nadal wins playing boring tennis, I'll congratulate him for winning, and then complain that he's playing boring tennis.

edberg505
05-27-2009, 10:11 AM

Now let me get this straight, you are a Sampras fan, correct?

Who cares if they are winning? They're entertaining. Why do you think I support Feliciano Lopez? For his results? He's won one match in the last 3 grand slams, but I still support him because, for me, he's the most entertaining player on tour.

To sum up: If Nadal wins playing boring tennis, I'll congratulate him for winning, and then complain that he's playing boring tennis.

Ahh, this is more like it. I'm a Taylor Dent and Nicoals Mahut fan but they don't win everything under the sun but I love watching them play.

maximo
05-27-2009, 10:13 AM
That's why he's the top spin king.

Frankauc
05-27-2009, 10:14 AM
what's the problem? At least, it's in play.

svijk
05-27-2009, 10:15 AM
Fail to understand why it bothers the OP??? It sounds like a thought a coach would have, wherein he doesn't see it as a good strategy / technique etc...but why should it bother a fan watching tv?

oneleggedcardinal
05-27-2009, 10:16 AM

Exactly.

10 char.

miyagi
05-27-2009, 10:50 AM
Looks good to me especially when he KEEPS winning matches with it!

If it bothers you THAT much watch someone else and stop complaining!

LanceStern
05-27-2009, 10:51 AM
Fail to understand why it bothers the OP??? It sounds like a thought a coach would have, wherein he doesn't see it as a good strategy / technique etc...but why should it bother a fan watching tv?

It's ugly boring tennis to me. They put it at angles today where you can see the net clearance.

It's a great strategy, one I despise because it's been done to me a lot as well, but a good strategy.

Just ugly and boring. It's almost how the Girls 14-16 singles play only they play with just about all lob shots.

Looks good to me especially when he KEEPS winning matches with it!
If it bothers you THAT much watch someone else and stop complaining!

Well I would, but I have dial up so streams don't work for me. And ESPN2 is the only station I have...

Nadal_Freak
05-27-2009, 10:55 AM
Another lame thread by a ball bashing ****. Sorry I don't find the flat ball hitters interesting at all. Btw the conditions were extremely slow today. Hard for anyone to attack.

miyagi
05-27-2009, 10:58 AM
It's ugly boring tennis to me. They put it at angles today where you can see the net clearance.

It's a great strategy, one I despise because it's been done to me a lot as well, but a good strategy.

Just ugly and boring. It's almost how the Girls 14-16 singles play only they play with just about all lob shots.

Well I would, but I have dial up so streams don't work for me. And ESPN2 is the only station I have...

Tennis is about WINNING not playing beautiful! If you think 14-16 yo girls play like that then you are really naive there is HUGE work on the ball when Nadal hits it....

thejoe
05-27-2009, 10:59 AM
Tennis is about WINNING not playing beautiful! If you think 14-16 yo girls play like that then you are really naive there is HUGE work on the ball when Nadal hits it....

Yes I agree, if you're the one playing it. But if you're watching, you want to be entertained.

Nadal_Freak
05-27-2009, 10:59 AM
He's just a Nadal hater. Learn to ignore him in the future. He knows nothing about tennis.

BigServer1
05-27-2009, 11:02 AM
Another lame thread by a ball bashing ****. Sorry I don't find the flat ball hitters interesting at all. Btw the conditions were extremely slow today. Hard for anyone to attack.

Meh, it's just personal preference. You don't like flat hitters, you like clay court tennis and crazy topspin while others like different styles.

I really like Nadal's game, especially when he hits his crazy angles and winners from out of nowhere...It's good stuff to watch.

Imo, Nadal's backhand has gotten better each year, and it's one of the big reasons why he's 30-0 at the French Open. If Federer had a backhand on clay like Nadal or Djokovic, he might have won a FO or two by now...

thejoe
05-27-2009, 11:02 AM
He's just a Nadal hater. Learn to ignore him in the future. He knows nothing about tennis.

How does him not finding Nadal interesting lead you to think he knows nothing about tennis? You're the one here who doesn't know anything about tennis. And you sell it with this superior pretentious attitude which is what makes it most irritating.

Entertainment is subjective. I'm with LanceStern. I know lots about tennis, and if anything, this influences my decision in not finding Nadal interesting. It's the idiots who have been watching since last year (mostly Rafa fans) that know nothing.

Nadal_Freak
05-27-2009, 11:06 AM
How does him not finding Nadal interesting lead you to think he knows nothing about tennis? You're the one here who doesn't know anything about tennis. And you sell it with this superior pretentious attitude which is what makes it most irritating.

Entertainment is subjective. I'm with LanceStern. I know lots about tennis, and if anything, this influences my decision in not finding Nadal interesting. It's the idiots who have been watching since last year (mostly Rafa fans) that know nothing.
It's alright that he doesn't like Nadal's style. What's annoying is hearing him whine on and on about how horrible it is to watch and make it sound like everyone feels the same.

oneleggedcardinal
05-27-2009, 11:07 AM

And what, pray tell, do you know? As others have mentioned, aesthetic preference has nothing to do with tennis knowledge. For example, you like watching long rallies, correct? If someone told you that you know nothing about tennis based on your preference, would you agree?

thejoe
05-27-2009, 11:07 AM
It's alright that he doesn't like Nadal's style. What's annoying is hearing him whine on and on about how horrible it is to watch and make it sound like everyone feels the same.

Apparently not according to you. This apparently means he knows nothing about tennis :roll:

Nadal_Freak
05-27-2009, 11:10 AM
And what, pray tell, do you know? As others have mentioned, aesthetic preference has nothing to do with tennis knowledge. For example, you like watching long rallies, correct? If someone told you that you know nothing about tennis based on your preference, would you agree?
Saying Nadal's backhand is equivalent to girls 14-16 tennis is what made him know nothing about tennis. He is a joke. I can't believe you are defending this troll. Typical Fed fans like to join in on the Nadal hate. I wonder why that is? :twisted:

thejoe
05-27-2009, 11:12 AM
Saying Nadal's backhand is equivalent to girls 14-16 tennis is what made him know nothing about tennis. He is a joke. I can't believe you are defending this troll. Typical Fed fans like to join in on the Nadal hate. I wonder why that is? :twisted:

Right, change the subject after you miss the point. He didn't say it was a 14-16 year old girl's shot. The concept of high net clearance and low aggression is common in bad players. While he of course realises that the shot is world class, and quite possibly the best in the business, it is reminiscent in strategy to the 14 year old girls you see playing at tennis clubs.

oneleggedcardinal
05-27-2009, 11:13 AM

I wasn't defending that, just his original statement. He's on his own on that one.

As to the second bold statement...since you know that I'm one of these "typical Fed fans," care to fill me in?

Nadal_Freak
05-27-2009, 11:14 AM
Right, change the subject after you miss the point. He didn't say it was a 14-16 year old girl's shot. The concept of high net clearance and low aggression is common in bad players. While he of course realises that the shot is world class, and quite possibly the best in the business, it is reminiscent in strategy to the 14 year old girls you see playing at tennis clubs.
And that is wrong. Way more action on the ball. The high clearance with low spin is a sign of a pusher. Those shots are way more attackable and less damaging.

thejoe
05-27-2009, 11:17 AM
And that is wrong. Way more action on the ball. The high clearance with low spin is a sign of a pusher. Those shots are way more attackable and less damaging.

Of course they are. That is what I'm saying. Did you not read my post? I said similar in strategy, not execution.

Nadal_Freak
05-27-2009, 11:20 AM
Of course they are. That is what I'm saying. Did you not read my post? I said similar in strategy, not execution.
Everyone has off pace shots. Those with some variety. I see nothing wrong with high net clearnace. Whatever works at the pro level is not a weak shots.

thejoe
05-27-2009, 11:21 AM
Everyone has off pace shots. Those with some variety. I see nothing wrong with high net clearnace. Whatever works at the pro level is not a weak shots.

Right, and now we're back to the issue of preference, which is where we started. I'm glad we're now clear it is just a difference of opinion.

Pirao
05-27-2009, 11:38 AM

I'm sure Nadal is deeply concerned about it.

RoddickAce
05-27-2009, 11:56 AM

And that's why I'm a Roddick fan :).

P_Agony
05-27-2009, 12:00 PM
Yes I agree, if you're the one playing it. But if you're watching, you want to be entertained.

Well said. This is why I acknowledge Nadal is the best player today by far, but I can't watch his matches unless I'm a fan of the opponent.

P_Agony
05-27-2009, 12:00 PM

Seriously NF, who hates Nadal here?

kraggy
05-27-2009, 12:02 PM
I think everyone is entitled to their opinion because after all this is a forum!

Nadal's FO doesn't bother me as much as Fed's arrogance though.

Pirao
05-27-2009, 12:04 PM
Seriously NF, who hates Nadal here?

I'm not NF but... Are you refering to this thread or the forum in general?

OddJack
05-27-2009, 12:04 PM
Nadal is worried about his BH misses, he's just switched to a more defensive play.

bolo
05-27-2009, 12:08 PM
It's a great shot, he has total control, gives it a little bit of loft, sometimes right down the line. A crucial shot in his encounters with fed.

P_Agony
05-27-2009, 12:13 PM
I'm not NF but... Are you refering to this thread or the forum in general?

In general.

If someone says he doesn't like Nadal's game that's not say he hates Nadal. Some posters have stated time after time Fed's game bores them as well. It's perfectly fine.

Pirao
05-27-2009, 12:15 PM
In general.

Quite a lot of people: OddJack here is a clear example, BreakPoint, vtmike, Gorecki, Tennis_Maestro... should I go on?

vtmike
05-27-2009, 12:36 PM

Errrrrrr...........

Nadal winning is an everyday thing but Fed losing is always exciting. :D

Cesc Fabregas
05-27-2009, 12:36 PM
Do people realise it was incredibley windy today? You're an idiot if you play high risk flat ball bashing in windy conditions.

sureshs
05-27-2009, 01:09 PM
OP is upset because Nadal will win the FO. Better to win points than slam "elegant" shots into the net. If he is so ugly, his opponents must really suck because they cannot attack these high loopy balls. Nadal flattens out shots when he wants to, namely at Wimbledon. That is why no one is a GOAT unless they win all the Slams.

ChanceEncounter
05-27-2009, 02:42 PM
A lot of hypocrisy from Nadal_Freak here.

Apparently no one can complain that they don't like Nadal's playing style.

Defcon
05-27-2009, 02:52 PM
Players who play 10ft behind the baseline with high loopy shots are by definition technically inferior to someone who can play closer. They give up more space, can't take the ball on the rise, need more time to setup their shots, and usually depend on retrieving.

Nadal makes up for this by having huge topspin, excellent passing shots and transition game. And of course he's a beast physically and mentally. He has the perfect game for clay.

sh@de
05-27-2009, 06:41 PM
I agree with whoever said he likes watching Lopez.

bolo
05-27-2009, 06:56 PM
Quite a lot of people: OddJack here is a clear example, BreakPoint, vtmike, Gorecki, Tennis_Maestro... should I go on?

Lol. that was easy. :)

Gugafan
05-27-2009, 06:56 PM
I noticed Gabashvilli was trying to go DTL to Nadals backhand with his own backhand to try and open up the court and stay away from the big loopy crosscourt forehand from Nadal.

Federer used this tactic effectively at Madrid. Nadals backhand has improved, but its got less work on it then his forehand and he cant really hurt you with it unless he has angle to work with.

IvanAndreevich
05-27-2009, 06:58 PM

You forgot me, Nadal_Freak, and yourself. Because labelling someone on here as a hater is so easy these days.

bolo
05-27-2009, 07:02 PM
Players who play 10ft behind the baseline with high loopy shots are by definition technically inferior to someone who can play closer. They give up more space, can't take the ball on the rise, need more time to setup their shots, and usually depend on retrieving.

Nadal makes up for this by having huge topspin, excellent passing shots and transition game. And of course he's a beast physically and mentally. He has the perfect game for clay.

Technically inferior? You are describing a style of play, you are not describing technique at all.

CyBorg
05-27-2009, 07:05 PM

Stop making sense!

bolo
05-27-2009, 07:10 PM
You forgot me, Nadal_Freak, and yourself. Because labelling someone on here as a hater is so easy these days.

give me a break you are nowhere near most of those guys.
You just have petpeeves that are never going to be satisfied :)

T1000
05-27-2009, 07:17 PM

So if I don't like repetitive moonballs, butt picking, time wasting and poor gamenship i dont know anything about tennis? good to know

oneleggedcardinal
05-27-2009, 07:40 PM
Stop making sense!

He did. His first sentence was fine. The rest had nothing to do with the OP's initial post.

Mansewerz
05-27-2009, 08:07 PM
The super topspin backhand is annoying as well to me too. Mostly because I know that Nadal can be way more offensive with it.

bruce38
05-27-2009, 09:06 PM

The only intelligent post in this thread.

Pirao
05-27-2009, 11:12 PM

I forgot to add you, that's about it. However, those guys I named are much more annoying.

crazylevity
05-27-2009, 11:14 PM
I'm sure his backhand was bothering his opponent very much, too.

EtePras
05-27-2009, 11:29 PM
It probably bothers Federer a lot more than you.

vtmike
05-28-2009, 04:18 AM

Give me one quote where I have insulted Nadal...I have said I don't like his style but thats about it, and maybe some light jokes...but I never spewed hate towards Nadal! Towards some annoying posters here..Yes, but towards Nadal, No! Infact I have also said several times that I'm a big fan of Nadal's intensity and will power to win matches! Have YOU ever said anything positive about Fed? Need to look into the mirror now before labelling others as a hater?

OTOH I have quite a few posts from posters who spew hate towards Fed for no reason...Take posts below for example,

Federer is Britney Spears of tennis. Cheesy, pretentious, drama, tears, adolescent delusional fans, once big star and popular, but never real and true, sinking fast.

I am glad I am not a Federer fan. Who would want to support a washed up loser.

Nadal winning is an everyday thing but Fed losing is always exciting. :D

Give me a post where I have said something of this nature because this is my definition of hatred...Until you see me spew such crap don't accuse me of being a hater!

Pirao
05-28-2009, 09:25 AM
Give me one quote where I have insulted Nadal...I have said I don't like his style but thats about it, and maybe some light jokes...but I never spewed hate towards Nadal! Towards some annoying posters here..Yes, but towards Nadal, No! Infact I have also said several times that I'm a big fan of Nadal's intensity and will power to win matches! Have YOU ever said anything positive about Fed? Need to look into the mirror now before labelling others as a hater?

Yes I have. Search my posts if you want. I'll do the same with you, but I'm pretty sure I have seen you bash Nadal.

sureshs
05-28-2009, 09:38 AM

Yeah that is why his technically inferior play has not helped win any other Slams.

Players who can play closer but cannot win against Nadal are the ones who are technically inferior, because they really can't play close but think they can.

Pirao
05-28-2009, 09:59 AM
Yeah that is why his technically inferior play has not helped win any other Slams.

Players who can play closer but cannot win against Nadal are the ones who are technically inferior, because they really can't play close but think they can.

QFT :twisted:. Lol at Nadal being technically inferior to players he owns regularly.