PDA

View Full Version : Pros using paint job frames? Why?

tonyg11
05-27-2009, 02:03 PM
Especially for top players like Federer. Make a racquet just like the pros like and market it is a signature racquet. Something the players can use right off the shelf. No reason to lie, no reason to paint job, no reason to keep making a handful of old frames just for one player etc.

Guys like Verdasco using a Major frame makes no sense at all. Technifibre could have made a frame exactly like the one Verdasco likes and market that. What’s the point of making old Major frames and go through the hassle of paint jobbing them?

tournaking
05-27-2009, 02:13 PM
Money!!!!!!

Josherer
05-27-2009, 02:42 PM
arrrgghhh thread beeen done 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 000000000 times!

BreakPoint
05-27-2009, 03:18 PM
Especially for top players like Federer. Make a racquet just like the pros like and market it is a signature racquet. Something the players can use right off the shelf. No reason to lie, no reason to paint job, no reason to keep making a handful of old frames just for one player etc.

Guys like Verdasco using a Major frame makes no sense at all. Technifibre could have made a frame exactly like the one Verdasco likes and market that. What’s the point of making old Major frames and go through the hassle of paint jobbing them?
1. Federer does indeed use the same racquet that's sold at retail - the K90. He designed it himself for himself to use, and it's marketed by Wilson as the K90.

2. Major and Tecnifibre are the same company, so the racquets are the same.

BullDogTennis
05-27-2009, 06:22 PM
money money money...and they can jack up the price because so and so uses this racquet.

charliefedererer
05-27-2009, 06:26 PM
arrrgghhh thread beeen done 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 000000000 times!

^Well stated.
But to answer the question:
The companies want to promote a new racquet that their marketing people suggest should be top seller with wide appeal, if only some pro could promote it on tour.

redfred
05-27-2009, 06:33 PM
because they know that most of the consumers are too stupid to know the difference and they can make a quick buck.

Lucky for me i am quite an intelligent individual who can tell the difference.HAHAHAHAHAHA! THOSE EVIL CORPORATIONS WILL NEVER DEFEAT ME.sorry i lost control there for a minute

BreakPoint
05-27-2009, 06:57 PM
It's also because they know that most recreational players cannot handle using a real pro spec racquet.

Datacipher
05-27-2009, 11:06 PM
It's also because they know that most recreational players cannot handle using a real pro spec racquet.

Yes. They can only handle Federers.....lol.

BreakPoint
05-27-2009, 11:20 PM
Yes. They can only handle Federers.....lol.
Most recreational players cannot handle Federer's racquet (K90). That's why you usually only see higher level players use it effectively.

Datacipher
05-28-2009, 02:29 AM
Most recreational players cannot handle Federer's racquet (K90). That's why you usually only see higher level players use it effectively.

LOL! Ridiculous. Sales are great. Lots of players are using it. You like to claim subjectively "effectively". The racquet companies don't give a darn how you play with it, if it sells they will give you it.

We all know why you have this contradiction. You want to pretend that racquet companies won't give you the pro specs. But your whole ego (for some odd reason) is tied up in this insistence that you have Fed's racquet (based all on a marketing line despite the fact that the line completely invalidates previous claims that you could purchase Fed's racquet). So you must believe that it is Fed's exact racquet (like that is somehow special...) yet simulataneously claim the other pro racquets are too tough to handle. Not much more needs to be said. There it is!

I like you Breaky, but this Fed racquet thing is silly.

Why the hell would anyone WANT a pros exact racquet. ANSWER: EGO. Why would anyone think that Fed's exact specs, (which are only special ONLY in that HE happens to like them at the moment) are the exact right specs for them?? lol. (I guess it means you are EXACTLY like Fed....well except for the physique, age, skills, athleticism and game.... ;-)

tonyg11
05-28-2009, 07:28 AM
I think there is too much assumption being made on what sells a tennis racquet, or how effective updating the same racquet every 2 years is. I don’t know anybody who tossed away their 2 year old racquets to buy the same ones updated with some new scam “tech”. If people break racquets or have really beat up racquets they will buy new ones regardless if they’ve been “updated” or not.

The prostaff 6.0 was on the market for 20+ years without any updates and it sold just fine. I think all these new 22 year old marketing graduates are pulling **** with racquet companies that, in the long run, will just backfire and not really pay off at all.

I think you can make a signature model and keep it the same over 10 years and still have great sales with it. I think you can also update your base line with new tech every 2 years and still have good sales with that regardless if Nadal or Federer uses it.

VGP
05-28-2009, 07:53 AM
My take on paintjobs is treating the racket almost like changing clothing fashions - bolstered by trying to convince people of some new technology. Style and gadgetry.

Really when it comes to graphite frames, the racket companies are fighting against the fact that a modern (i.e. graphite frame) can last years in the hands of recreational players....even in the hands of active players. Wooden frames just wore out faster and people would readilly purchase frames when they would crack, warp, or no longer take a stringing. Newer frames just last longer (barring abuse).

If a typical player buys one or two frames and they'll (realistically) last a decade, how are racket companies going to increase their sales? They try change the cosmetics, add some relatively innocuous tech....but then they have to get these "new" frames in the hands of the top players, hence the paintjob.

A lot of pros will not change frames no matter what. Sampras was the very rare example of a pro in the age of graphite that wouldn't even paintjob. Almost all players accept the paintjob, but underneath it's the same frame they used as a junior.

There is a bit of deception in the paintjob and in the marketing. But I do agree with tonyg11 where people won't go buy the "updated" frame no matter what - in people that buy a racket for playability that suits their game. The paintjob and tech marketing sways those who want instant gratification when it comes to "power" or "control" or "racket head speed" those that want "Rafa's racket" or "Sharapova's racket" or whomever.....

As for the PS85.....don't get me started on how that's changed over the years....;)

I do agree with his last statement. Some of the major racket companies (Prince and Wilson) do maintain "classics" in their line along with "new tech." By now, they've figured out and have the ability to carry both types. Although the classics aren't available at all retailers and you have to go to TW and few others to find those frames......

BreakPoint
05-28-2009, 09:20 AM
LOL! Ridiculous. Sales are great. Lots of players are using it. You like to claim subjectively "effectively". The racquet companies don't give a darn how you play with it, if it sells they will give you it.

We all know why you have this contradiction. You want to pretend that racquet companies won't give you the pro specs. But your whole ego (for some odd reason) is tied up in this insistence that you have Fed's racquet (based all on a marketing line despite the fact that the line completely invalidates previous claims that you could purchase Fed's racquet). So you must believe that it is Fed's exact racquet (like that is somehow special...) yet simulataneously claim the other pro racquets are too tough to handle. Not much more needs to be said. There it is!

I like you Breaky, but this Fed racquet thing is silly.

Why the hell would anyone WANT a pros exact racquet. ANSWER: EGO. Why would anyone think that Fed's exact specs, (which are only special ONLY in that HE happens to like them at the moment) are the exact right specs for them?? lol. (I guess it means you are EXACTLY like Fed....well except for the physique, age, skills, athleticism and game.... ;-)
Huh? I don't use the K90 because I can't handle it. It's too much of a pro spec frame for me. The KPS88 is another pro spec frame. I can't handle that one either. Very few recreational players can use either one the way they're supposed to be used.

Spalding also made a line of ATP spec frames a few years ago that were made to exact specs used by many pros on the ATP Tour. Most models were around 13 oz. or more and had huge swingweights. They didn't sell because the market of people who can actually use these racquets are very small so the line was quickly discontinued.

BTW, when did I EVER say that I wanted racquet manufactures to sell the actual pro spec frames? :confused: I've never said such a thing! Because I don't care and I don't want to buy them. I just want what I can use myself and I can't use most pro spec frames.

BTW2, Wilson NEVER claimed that consumers could buy Federer's actual racquet until they released the K90 to the public. In the past, they would say things like Federer plays the nCode90 but they NEVER claimed that the nCode90 sold in the stores is the same one that Federer uses. When the K90 was released, they said that for the first time the retail K90 sold in the stores is the same exact racquet that Federer uses on tour.

scraps234
05-28-2009, 10:47 AM
to make the people think... if hes using it i should to... also to promote their new rackets...

roger nadal
05-28-2009, 05:15 PM
sponsors pay for it

martini1
05-28-2009, 06:36 PM
This is total BS. They don't use pj rackets. We use PJs that look like what the pro use. :lol:

OliverSimon
05-28-2009, 07:09 PM
They need to be sponsoring/advertising the current frames instead of old ones.

aceroberts13
05-30-2009, 01:00 AM

You have much to learn from these boards...

Ambivalent
05-30-2009, 01:35 AM

Because frames made exactly like the pros wont play as good for consumers.

Datacipher
05-30-2009, 02:11 AM
BTW2, Wilson NEVER claimed that consumers could buy Federer's actual racquet until they released the K90 to the public. In the past, they would say things like Federer plays the nCode90 but they NEVER claimed that the nCode90 sold in the stores is the same one that Federer uses. When the K90 was released, they said that for the first time the retail K90 sold in the stores is the same exact racquet that Federer uses on tour.

Good leaping heavens. You still refuse to get it don't you. Of course they never said "hey, for the first time we're selling Federer's racquet!". THIS WAS AN ACKNOWLEDGEMENT that they lied before and that some people were figuring that out. So they had to make a compensatory statement for marketing purposes because if they simply said "Federer plays the _____" or that it's "Federer's racquet" AS THEY DID FOR EVERY OTHER RACQUET, it would mean nothing to those who knew.

FACT:
1.WILSON DID LIE BEFORE AND BOTH EXPLICITLY AND IMPLICTLY CLAIM FEDERER WAS USING THE RACQUET THEY WERE SELLING
2.THIS MARKETING TACTIC ACKNOWLEDGES #1
3.WHETHER YOU CHOOSE TO BELIEVE IT OR NOT THIS TIME IS UP TO YOU, BUT PRETENDING #1 DIDN'T HAPPEN IS SILLY

Datacipher
05-30-2009, 02:20 AM
I think there is too much assumption being made on what sells a tennis racquet, or how effective updating the same racquet every 2 years is. I don’t know anybody who tossed away their 2 year old racquets to buy the same ones updated with some new scam “tech”. If people break racquets or have really beat up racquets they will buy new ones regardless if they’ve been “updated” or not..

Em.....um......wow.....you obviously don't spend much time reading the racquet threads here. Congrats on knowing level-headed people though.

Even among those who in specific threads claim to KNOW that the new tech update is generally a scam, there nonetheless is great interest and anticipation for each new update.

Does it work for the majority that EVERY 2 years, the old racquets are discarded for the same model? No, for a few it does. But the general "evolution" does work it's materialistic magic. Even for those who ARE generally aware of this, don't underestimate the subconscious power of this process. If you hang out in a place like this, eventually you will, without knowing it find yourself wondering if you should try one of these new racquets. Subconsciously, you'll note that your racquet isn't even discussed anymore because it's 2 generations behind. You think Hmm....maybe.... subconsciously you're a bit bored of your racquet anyways, maybe this can give me that little edge.....

In any case, I wish more people

MethodTennis
05-30-2009, 02:40 AM

you forgot 3 zeros

one2play
05-30-2009, 07:37 AM
[QUOTE=redfred;3472124]because they know that most of the consumers are too stupid to know the difference and they can make a quick buck.

Lucky for me i am quite an intelligent individual who can tell the difference.HAHAHAHAHAHA! THOSE EVIL CORPORATIONS WILL NEVER DEFEAT ME.sorry i lost control there for a minute[/QUOTE

Funny;-)

SHUNGO
06-02-2009, 08:20 PM
They´re not humans, those guys come from some other galaxies

Nellie
06-02-2009, 09:10 PM
Maybe because the clothes, shoes, and strings used by pros are generally also not identical to consumer models.