PDA

View Full Version : Who uses an Eastern grip?

kobe3pointer
05-27-2009, 09:33 PM
Im just wondering how many pros(or former pros) use an eastern grip since people claim that it is becoming extinct.

Heres a list:
1. Federer
2. Del Potro
3. Gasquet(probably continental)
4. Hrbaty
5. Stepanek
6. Fish
7. Sampras
8. Henman
9. Kafelnikov
10. Connors

is that it or are there more?

Grizvok
05-27-2009, 09:40 PM
Gasquet obviously.

hoosierbr
05-27-2009, 10:08 PM
Federer's forehand seems more semi-western to me.

I think Hrbaty and Stepanek use easten grips though.

aimr75
05-27-2009, 10:39 PM
Gasquet obviously.

looks like a continental to me

ci2ca
05-27-2009, 10:42 PM
Federer definitely uses an eastern forehand grip, it has been proven. Fish is another eastern forehand grip user.

featherlight
05-28-2009, 01:08 AM
fish and gasquet both use eastern grip that is why both backhands are their better sides

ci2ca
05-28-2009, 10:24 PM
fish and gasquet both use eastern grip that is why both backhands are their better sides

Federer uses a eastern grip and his backhand is his weaker wing.

kobe3pointer
05-29-2009, 06:04 PM

Using an eastern grip does not make the forehand a worse shot than hitting wth a western or semi. Gasquet's backhand just happens to be exceptionally good.

HEADidas
05-29-2009, 06:20 PM
Pretty sure Federer uses somewhere in between an eastern and western forehand grip

nadal for number1
05-29-2009, 06:22 PM
Richard Gasquet, now retired pros: Sampras, henman etc oh and stepanek aswell

kobe3pointer
05-29-2009, 06:58 PM

I thought Sampras used a semi.

ronalditop
05-29-2009, 07:22 PM
I thought Sampras used a semi.

He hits so flat that there is no way he uses SW. He probably uses eastern or eastern a little towards continental. His forehand looks a lot like stepaneks, though stepaneks forehand is a little less ugly.

Chase
05-29-2009, 07:54 PM
sampras did not use a sw, he used an eastern. gasquet doesn't use an eastern, he uses a continental.

kobe3pointer
05-29-2009, 08:13 PM
sampras did not use a sw, he used an eastern. gasquet doesn't use an eastern, he uses a continental.

Ah ic, I couldve sworn that I read some posts claiming Sampras used a SW.

dextor
05-29-2009, 11:29 PM
Pretty sure Federer uses somewhere in between an eastern and western forehand grip

It's eastern. Source: FYB2007 on youtube.

slice bh compliment
05-29-2009, 11:40 PM

Flip used an eastern. Though, people like Nicky B. called it a continental.

Rune34
05-30-2009, 09:49 AM
Jesse Levine also uses a eastern grip.

ckledzepplin
05-30-2009, 11:01 AM
I use an eastern

KoolBeans
05-30-2009, 11:10 AM
and so do i lol

soyizgood
05-30-2009, 11:23 AM
Kafelnikov had an eastern or Australian forehand. Connors was the epitome of an eastern forehander. As for the ladies, Graf, Davenport come to mind.

kissmyace
05-30-2009, 01:13 PM
Henman used a semi-western. He even said so on the vlog on TW.

DrumWizOHBD
06-01-2009, 09:40 PM
I was taught grips and the game by old timers, and they considered an Eastern grip forehand one that could also be used to hit a topspin backhand easily without turning the grip in the hand. Basically what most of us would consider a backhand grip, is an eastern grip. There is no eastern forehand or eastern backahnd---there is just one Eastern Grip and you use it for either wing.

So according to this philosophy, connors would be the ONLY one on the list using a TRUE EASTERN. Sampras and Kafelnikov come in a close tie for second with more of a continental grip.

According to the aforementioned theory of Grips: Federer uses a semi-western. Using an eastern grip leaves you with an open racquet face, meaning it is near impossible to generate the amount of topspin one such as Federer does. Federer also varies his grip slightly depending on his shot. There are a couple fantastic Super SLow Mo compilations of Fed's forehand on You Tube that really show the difference in how he grips for High balls vs Low Balls vs heavy topspin shots vs Flatter Putaways.

naturallight
06-03-2009, 09:12 AM
I think Fuzzy Yellow Balls did a piece on Federer's grip a while back which showed it was an Eastern.

ckledzepplin
06-03-2009, 09:25 AM
I think Fuzzy Yellow Balls did a piece on Federer's grip a while back which showed it was an Eastern.
here it is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXcsblS3Jl4

Arafel
06-03-2009, 09:49 AM
I was taught grips and the game by old timers, and they considered an Eastern grip forehand one that could also be used to hit a topspin backhand easily without turning the grip in the hand. Basically what most of us would consider a backhand grip, is an eastern grip. There is no eastern forehand or eastern backahnd---there is just one Eastern Grip and you use it for either wing.

So according to this philosophy, connors would be the ONLY one on the list using a TRUE EASTERN. Sampras and Kafelnikov come in a close tie for second with more of a continental grip.

According to the aforementioned theory of Grips: Federer uses a semi-western. Using an eastern grip leaves you with an open racquet face, meaning it is near impossible to generate the amount of topspin one such as Federer does. Federer also varies his grip slightly depending on his shot. There are a couple fantastic Super SLow Mo compilations of Fed's forehand on You Tube that really show the difference in how he grips for High balls vs Low Balls vs heavy topspin shots vs Flatter Putaways.

Well, that's wrong on multiple counts. There are Eastern forehand and Eastern backhand grips. Connors, according to every article I ever read about him, used something close to a semi-western, which was why low balls to his forehand were always a weak spot.

DrumWizOHBD
06-04-2009, 07:15 PM
Well, that's wrong on multiple counts. There are Eastern forehand and Eastern backhand grips. Connors, according to every article I ever read about him, used something close to a semi-western, which was why low balls to his forehand were always a weak spot.

Hey, I am just regurgitating what was taught to me back in the day by several Pro's who played professionally in the 40's and 50's. I watched that video on Fuzzy Yellow Balls, and that was the first time I had ever heard someone call Federer's grip and Eastern. Their logic may be a bit outdated....

Think about it this way--- (REFERRING TO A RIGHT-HANDED PLAYER)

Continental is in the Middle (as in "Continental Divide"
Eastern turns the handle to the Right of Continental a la Backhand grip
Western turns the handle to the Left of Continental a la Federer Forehand

I was taught this as the easy way for kids to remember their grips, back when I was 7. SO, maybe this is wrong by todays terms, but it sure does make a lot more common sense this way.

What is it called if a player hits a forehand with the opposite side of the racquet face with a backhand grip. <<< According to Fuzzy Balls, this grip doesn't exist, it would have no name execpt 'further past continental.' I believe this is an eastern grip. Many teaching pros use this grip for feeding, because it naturally imparts backspin on the ball. I have never met anyone who calls this anything other than and eastern grip, except on the internet.:shock:

featherlight
06-04-2009, 10:22 PM
sorry to interupte the thread does safina use an eastern grip

aaganad
06-13-2009, 11:06 PM

I agree with you on Drumwiz's statement. You twist your grip to go fron eastern forehand to eastern backhand. I don't think anyone in their right mind would use an eastern forehand grip for both sides. But your statement on Connors I think is slightly incorrect. First, he did use an eastern and his weakness was not low balls only but low, slow balls hit straight to him (remember how at Wimbledon, Borg made that funky backhand slice approach directly to Connors daring him to pass him crosscourt and he hit it often into the net).

Sampras was also an eastern forehand. He and Connors had excellent running forehands (running to the right) where they could whip the ball with a pretty robust swing but when they had to supply all the pace with spin and power on high bouncing balls, their forehand would eventually fail them. They illustrated time and again some of the weaknesses of the eastern forehand and its weaknesses are why it is not used that much anymore.

I know. I learned the hard way. I was taught the old style too when everyone learned the eastern forehand grip first (shake hands with the face of the racquet). I eventually saw its limitations and taught myself the SW forehand and overall it is much better but I too still have problems with low soft balls like Connors.

BTW, I am not convinced that Federer uses a true eastern forehand otherwise it would look more like Connors' or Sampras' FH in execution and in results. He must be doing something different because his forehand is excellent and he doesn't seem to have any weaknesses with it. I don't know if it is as some have said, somewhere inbetween an Eastern and SW or if if he really uses multiple forehand grips depending on the situation. Either way, it works. I wish I could learn to do the FH as he does.

soyizgood
06-14-2009, 07:17 AM
sorry to interupte the thread does safina use an eastern grip

Sometimes I wished Safina used an eastern grip. Her extreme semi-western or even possibly western grip is one of the ugliest forehands in terms of form. None of her strokes are efficient to where just being a small fraction off makes for some woeful hitting (see Olympics F, RG 2008 F, RG 2009 F, AO 2009 F, USO '08 SF, any of her 3 YEC matches)

soyizgood
06-14-2009, 07:27 AM
The extreme eastern is the modern day eastern forehand. It gets the best features of the eastern (pace) and semi-western (topspin) strokes and adds in the element of side spin on short cross-court angles. I've had a few people remark on the topspin I hit with it and one guy thought I was hitting with a western grip. I know another guy with this grip and he unleashes heavy topspin as well as liners with pace.

Drop Shot 11
06-14-2009, 08:19 AM
John McEnroe

Rickson
06-14-2009, 08:42 AM
Where can you buy those?

Andres
06-14-2009, 09:18 AM
Del Potro uses a SW, not an Eastern.

フェデラー
06-14-2009, 10:12 AM
What grip does Djokovic use? Obviously not at eastern.

el sergento
06-14-2009, 11:28 AM
What grip does Djokovic use? Obviously not at eastern.

I'd say the Djoker is almos full Western.

And yeah, Del Po is SW.

DrumWizOHBD
06-14-2009, 11:44 AM
Some of you may remember the Spaniard, Alberto Berasetegui from the 1994 French Open Final. The commentators used to say that his grip was so far western, that he was actually using an Eastern grip whilst striking the ball with the "wrong" side stringbed.

Excerpt from Wikipedia:
"He was also known for his extreme forehand grip where his unusual hold on the racket would allow him to hit both forehands and backhands with the same side of the racket.[1] This grip was comically referred to as the Hawaiian grip for being so far West. "

jimbo333
06-14-2009, 03:33 PM
I thought that I knew something about grips, but I'm now completely confused, I wish I hadn't read this thread:)

So can anyone confirm for definite what grip Connors used on forehand and also on backhand side please?

soyizgood
06-14-2009, 03:55 PM
I thought that I knew something about grips, but I'm now completely confused, I wish I hadn't read this thread:)

So can anyone confirm for definite what grip Connors used on forehand and also on backhand side please?

Connors had an eastern forehand and a double eastern backhand.

BreakPoint
06-14-2009, 05:29 PM
John McEnroe
McEnroe used a continental grip on both his forehand and backhand.

And since he also uses a continental grip for serves and for volleys, he basically used only one grip for everything. That's why he had such quick hands - he never had to change grips. :)

BreakPoint
06-14-2009, 05:33 PM

I use an Eastern forehand grip and an Eastern backhand grip and they are completely different grips and I have to change my grip when going from a forehand to a backhand and vise versa.

I think you're thinking of the continental grip.

OliverSimon
06-14-2009, 06:49 PM
Gonzalez-Eastern?

kobe3pointer
06-14-2009, 07:08 PM
Gonzalez-Eastern?

Nope, complete opposite.

RoddickRook
06-14-2009, 07:27 PM
Some of you may remember the Spaniard, Alberto Berasetegui from the 1994 French Open Final. The commentators used to say that his grip was so far western, that he was actually using an Eastern grip whilst striking the ball with the "wrong" side stringbed.

Excerpt from Wikipedia:
"He was also known for his extreme forehand grip where his unusual hold on the racket would allow him to hit both forehands and backhands with the same side of the racket.[1] This grip was comically referred to as the Hawaiian grip for being so far West. "

Wikipedia is a hoax. Wikipedia articles are written, edited, and modified by those who read them (meaning us...anyone could have written it). Unless you have a better source, that's hard to believe but that would be pretty cool nonetheless if it was true.

RoddickRook
06-14-2009, 07:31 PM
Oh and I use an eastern forehand grip as well, for the forehand (lol, obviously, but some people are confused on this).

The trick with it is to pronate your wrist during your swing and have a low to high swing and finish (instead of high) low near your waist after having made contact with the ball.

Everyone says don't get 'wristy' because you may mess up your wrist...but the wrist is important, and I use it a lot. (It's important on the serve and forehand).

But anyway, when pronating the wrist on the eastern forehand grip, you sort of produce a similar backhand effect and interestingly it produces the spin, but perhaps not as much as Nadal, who uses a full western grip.

Cool beans.

フェデラー
06-14-2009, 07:40 PM
what grip does tsonga use?

DrumWizOHBD
06-14-2009, 08:19 PM
I use an Eastern forehand grip and an Eastern backhand grip and they are completely different grips and I have to change my grip when going from a forehand to a backhand and vise versa.

I think you're thinking of the continental grip.

Sorry, I may have exaggerated a bit with that statement. I was hoping to help create a visual for the readers that aren't understanding what an eastern forehand grip looks like. Just like with western grips, the eastern grip can have slight variations. I, too, used to play with an Eastern Grip off both wings and i changed/turned the grip in my hand between F-Hands and B-Hands.

I was merely trying clear up the confusion about Federer's Forehand grip. I feel for all the viewers that have been led astray by Fuzzy Yellow Balls. Breakpoint, surely you will agree with me that if Connors uses an Eastern Grip, it's impossible to call Federer's forehand grip anything but a Semi-Western-ish grip:?

aimr75
06-14-2009, 08:32 PM
it's impossible to call Federer's forehand grip anything but a Semi-Western-ish grip:?

Despite federer having variants to his grip, this is not semi-western-ish:

http://www.fuzzyyellowballs.com/wp-content/site_images/grip.jpg

DrumWizOHBD
06-14-2009, 08:56 PM

Actually, this is EXACTLY a Semi-Western grip.:evil:

That's what I am trying to help out here with this thread....

This is obviously not a continental grip, right? You can't hit a backhand volley with this grip, right. Using terms form the eras of Johnny Mac and "The Rocket" Laver would use: since the racquet has been turned towards Federer's backhand/left from a continental grip, the grip has been turned to the West. Therefore his forehand grip in this picture is in a western position.

Federer himself may actually call his grip an eastern grip. But, from the originators of tennis grip names, he does not use an eastern grip.

aimr75
06-14-2009, 09:13 PM
Actually, this is EXACTLY a Semi-Western grip.:evil:

That's what I am trying to help out here with this thread....

This is obviously not a continental grip, right? You can't hit a backhand volley with this grip, right. Using terms form the eras of Johnny Mac and "The Rocket" Laver would use: since the racquet has been turned towards Federer's backhand/left from a continental grip, the grip has been turned to the West. Therefore his forehand grip in this picture is in a western position.

Federer himself may actually call his grip an eastern grip. But, from the originators of tennis grip names, he does not use an eastern grip.

i dont know what the "originators" of tennis grip names refer it to, by todays conventions:

http://www.tennis.com/yourgame/instructionarticles/forehand/forehand.aspx?id=649

the base knuckle is on the 3rd bevel, which is considered an eastern grip in that photo

DrumWizOHBD
06-14-2009, 09:22 PM
....sort of

Gosh, I just thought no one reading this thread knew anything about grips. :oops:
SO, I decided to google tennis grips. Then proceeded to search Easter, Continental, Western. And lo and behold, all of the newest teachings refer to Federer's (What I call a semi-western) grip as an eastern.

This is what I learned. From L to R: Eastern, Continental, Western

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.donal***an.com/assets/images/Jones-grip3.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.donal***an.com/html/body_grips.html&usg=__Mw4iJFZBOlC57SQj7I6tr0uNGK0=&h=652&w=888&sz=493&hl=en&start=59&um=1&tbnid=sqHB4UlNrz6UMM:&tbnh=107&tbnw=146&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dtennis%2Bgrip%2Beastern%2Bwestern%2Bc ontinental%26ndsp%3D20%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26start% 3D40%26um%3D1

I did not just learn this from one Pro, but from every pro I took lessons from.

I am just returning to tennis after a ten year leave of absence from the game: the racquets have changed, the strings and tension preference has changed, the serve and volley is dead in the pros, and now all the terminology has changed!!

So like I said in my first post in this thread...and "Old School approach to grips"

BreakPoint
06-14-2009, 11:26 PM

Correct, that is an Eastern forehand grip.

I have always said that Federer uses an Eastern forehand grip. That's why he can flatten it out and hit the ball with so much pace.

Raiha
06-15-2009, 03:54 AM
Correct, that is an Eastern forehand grip.

I have always said that Federer uses an Eastern forehand grip. That's why he can flatten it out and hit the ball with so much pace.

I hesitate to call that a true eastern grip. Fed's index finger is on a higher bevel than the rest of his hand, giving it the appearance of an eastern grip while the racquet face is actually turned more SW.
Just from watching Fed play i can see a clear difference from true SW forehand players like Gonzolez. However, Fed's heavy topspin shots just do not comport with an eastern grip. Maybe it comes from extreme wrist pronation, but i agree with someone earlier that his grip is in between E and SW.

aimr75
06-15-2009, 05:15 AM
I hesitate to call that a true eastern grip. Fed's index finger is on a higher bevel than the rest of his hand, giving it the appearance of an eastern grip while the racquet face is actually turned more SW.
Just from watching Fed play i can see a clear difference from true SW forehand players like Gonzolez. However, Fed's heavy topspin shots just do not comport with an eastern grip. Maybe it comes from extreme wrist pronation, but i agree with someone earlier that his grip is in between E and SW.

I use an eastern grip much like the one pictured with the knuckle on bevel 3 and the palm leaning toward or on bevel 4.. i dont think this is unusual and to me feels more natural holding an eastern grip this way

I would say he can still hit those heavy topspin shots with his technique with that eastern grip, considering his racquet head speed and what he does with his wrist:

http://www.picpanda.com/images/df23b20ys5gb7sbhata3.jpg

RoddickRook
06-15-2009, 02:59 PM
Maybe it comes from extreme wrist pronation,

Does no one read posts lol. This is exactly what I've wrote lol.
Sighduck.

And it's an Eastern Forehand Grip, again.

Brned
06-15-2009, 05:44 PM
Wikipedia is a hoax. Wikipedia articles are written, edited, and modified by those who read them (meaning us...anyone could have written it). Unless you have a better source, that's hard to believe but that would be pretty cool nonetheless if it was true.

http://tennis.about.com/od/forehandbackhand/ss/fhgripclosewt_5.htm

RoddickRook
06-15-2009, 08:18 PM
http://tennis.about.com/od/forehandbackhand/ss/fhgripclosewt_5.htm

Wow that's crazy lol. Dunno how anyone doesn't get injured using that grip.

tennisnut16
06-16-2009, 07:14 AM
Does Del Potro use an eastern forehand grip?

aaganad
06-17-2009, 04:57 PM

Funny, when I examine my eastern grip, both my index and middle finger base knuckles are on bevel 3. Index knuckle more towards the top edge and middle finger knuckle towards the bottom edge. So to me it looks like Fed's FH grip is not quite true eastern. The thing that gets me is Federer's backswing. It is totally unlike a Connor's backswing. Fed's racquet going back is pointing somewhat towards 12 o'clock and the hitting face of the racquet is at its maximum, directly facing the back fence. This is very difficult to do anatomically/physically with the classic eastern FH grip. Everyone who has learned the classic eastern FH took his forehand straight back, racquet more or less parallel to the ground, a la Connors. I believe another poster here mentioned Fed does grip it way down on the butt of the handle. I tried this and it does make pronating or breaking his wrist on the backswing much easier.

I think most of us are in agreement, Fed's FH is a variant of the classic eastern FH, call it extreme or whatever. I'm going to have to go back on the court and see if I can take all the information learned here and try to duplicate the Federer forehand (more or less). I personally experienced the limitations of the eastern FH, went ot the SW. Perhaps the extreme eastern is really what I needed.

aimr75
06-17-2009, 05:06 PM
Funny, when I examine my eastern grip, both my index and middle finger base knuckles are on bevel 3. Index knuckle more towards the top edge and middle finger knuckle towards the bottom edge. So to me it looks like Fed's FH grip is not quite true eastern. The thing that gets me is Federer's backswing. It is totally unlike a Connor's backswing. Fed's racquet going back is pointing somewhat towards 12 o'clock and the hitting face of the racquet is at its maximum, directly facing the back fence. This is very difficult to do anatomically/physically with the classic eastern FH grip. Everyone who has learned the classic eastern FH took his forehand straight back, racquet more or less parallel to the ground, a la Connors. I believe another poster here mentioned Fed does grip it way down on the butt of the handle. I tried this and it does make pronating or breaking his wrist on the backswing much easier.

I think most of us are in agreement, Fed's FH is a variant of the classic eastern FH, call it extreme or whatever. I'm going to have to go back on the court and see if I can take all the information learned here and try to duplicate the Federer forehand (more or less). I personally experienced the limitations of the eastern FH, went ot the SW. Perhaps the extreme eastern is really what I needed.

this thread is worth reading:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=137117

フェデラー
06-17-2009, 05:11 PM
Does Del Potro use an eastern forehand grip?

Yes there was a thread about this.

aaganad
06-17-2009, 09:04 PM
this thread is worth reading:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=137117

Thank you. That is a very nice thread and he basically says what I said, that Fed's backswing is almost impossible to produce with an eastern FH grip. I didn't like him comparing Fed's FH to Laver's though. Laver's was a continental and I believe he like McEnroe used the same grip for everything as a lot of the Aussie's of that era did.

I did some searching and this article I think describes and best illustrates Fed's forehand; better than that youtube video and is what many of us have been saying. It is entitled "Federer's modern classic forehand": and it too says he uses a "modified" eastern.

http://www.tennis.com/yourgame/instructionarticles/forehand/forehand.aspx?id=129054

My question to all of you is this. How does Fed find the grip of the extreme eastern grip so quickly when he is constantly twirling the racquet in his hand? if the grip is on bevel 3.5 between an eastern and SW then this is inherently a more difficult grip to find because the heel of the hand (or palm if you like) is not sitting right on a particular bevel, it is inbetween. What is his and your technique to make sure you are correctly in the extreme eastern grip during the heat of a match, especially if you switch back and forth between say an eastern BH grip. I want to try the extreme eastern but this is my only concern and perhaps why the extreme eastern is not widely adopted.

One article I found, said that it has less to do with where Fed's index base knuckle and palm are and more to do with where he places the fingers used to exert primary grip on the racquet, namely his thumb and ring finger. He can easily do this somehow and the index base knuckle just happens to fall in the spot where so many of us can then identify it as the eastern or extreme eastern. Does this make sense? What is the best technique to use for us every day players? sorry if this is technically a new thread but hopefully someone it can be answered in one or two posts only.

dsa202
06-18-2009, 05:08 AM
Federer uses a semiwestern. Gasquet uses an eastern, and no he does not use a continental. That grip is extinct. Sampras used an eastern with some semiwestern influence.

BreakPoint
06-18-2009, 11:25 AM
Federer uses a semiwestern. Gasquet uses an eastern, and no he does not use a continental. That grip is extinct. Sampras used an eastern with some semiwestern influence.
Sorry, but that's incorrect.

This is Federer:

And that's an Eastern forehand grip.

Also, watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXcsblS3Jl4

RoddickRook
06-18-2009, 05:33 PM

This is Federer:

Some people can't understand this when all of the information is put in front of them lol.

Madhoshi22
06-18-2009, 05:39 PM
Nadal uses an eastern grip too!

I can't believe you guys forgot about him!

DrumWizOHBD
06-18-2009, 07:22 PM
Federer also varies his grip from High to Low balls, using more of a western style grip on High balls.

This is a really cool concept. Always adapting his strokes. I was never taught that it was "OK" to use several different forehand grips. Federer definitely marches to his own beat!

kobe3pointer
06-20-2009, 10:07 AM
Nadal uses an eastern grip too!

I can't believe you guys forgot about him!

Oh? I always thought it was a continental!

dsa202
06-22-2009, 06:55 AM

This is Federer:

Uh, you need a frontal view...

http://wimbledonlawntennischampionship.files.wordpress.co m/2008/11/roger-federer_wimbledon_finals.jpg

that's a semiwestern grip.

DrumWizOHBD
06-22-2009, 07:39 AM
Anyone else notice Federer's Iddy Biddy Hands? They're so cute!

Everyone's hands are different. Some have short palms and long fingers, others have large palms and stubby fingers, some others have hairy palms:shock:

Point is, it's impossible to look at one knuckle and one bevel on someone's grip and say they are using "this" exact grip or "that" exact grip. What feels like an Eastern to one, will feel like a semi-western to another.

After learning recently what we now consider an eastern grip in this day and age, I believe it is clear that Fed uses an Eastern grip, leaning towards semi-western a lot of the time. This occurs mostly on low balls and waist-high balls. He actually even uses a semi- to full western sometimes on really high balls.

dsa202
06-22-2009, 08:26 AM

Everyone's hands are different. Some have short palms and long fingers, others have large palms and stubby fingers, some others have hairy palms:shock:

Point is, it's impossible to look at one knuckle and one bevel on someone's grip and say they are using "this" exact grip or "that" exact grip. What feels like an Eastern to one, will feel like a semi-western to another.

After learning recently what we now consider an eastern grip in this day and age, I believe it is clear that Fed uses an Eastern grip, leaning towards semi-western a lot of the time. This occurs mostly on low balls and waist-high balls. He actually even uses a semi- to full western sometimes on really high balls.

It's a semiwestern.

BreakPoint
06-22-2009, 10:54 AM
Uh, you need a frontal view...

http://wimbledonlawntennischampionship.files.wordpress.co m/2008/11/roger-federer_wimbledon_finals.jpg

that's a semiwestern grip.
Nope, that's an Eastern Grip:

THIS is a Semi-Western grip:

http://i41.tinypic.com/1f9qfc.jpg

You need to learn your terminology.

kobe3pointer
06-22-2009, 03:40 PM
Nope, that's an Eastern Grip:

THIS is a Semi-Western grip:

http://i41.tinypic.com/1f9qfc.jpg

You need to learn your terminology.

I thought roddick used a western.

soyizgood
06-22-2009, 04:14 PM
Breakpoint is right. Federer has an easternish forehand, though I call it an extreme eastern forehand.

Semi-western crowd should stop this futile argument. Then again they're whining since the top 5 now is crowded by easternized and western forehands.

You have several ATP pros in the top 50 with an eastern. WTA it's a rarity though one can argue Ivanovic has an extreme eastern forehand.

BreakPoint
06-22-2009, 07:05 PM
I thought roddick used a western.
Nope, Roddick uses a Semi-Western Grip.

Here's Mathieu with a Full Western Grip. Note how his palm is completely under the handle and it looks almost like he's hitting the ball with the opposite side of the racquet face.

http://i40.tinypic.com/v839xi.jpg

psp2
06-29-2009, 07:52 AM
In this photo, it looks as if his grip is beyond eastern.

http://i44.tinypic.com/1zez310.jpg

フェデラー
06-29-2009, 07:54 AM
In this photo, it looks as if his grip is beyond eastern.

http://i44.tinypic.com/1zez310.jpg

thats a volley

levy07
06-29-2009, 11:24 AM
Baghdatis i think is eastern. Where is he? He usually does well in Wimbledon.

Thiseas
08-02-2009, 05:28 AM
thats a volley

This is not a volley. It is a framed fh. The ball hit the bottom of the frame causing the racquet to twist in his hand.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xa1ioj_gasquet

Ultra2HolyGrail
08-05-2009, 01:48 AM

I think you know what you are talking about. Imo i don't think federer uses a true eastern forehand either.

normrose
08-05-2009, 07:11 PM
Do any of the players mentioed use the Eastern Backhand grip on the serve?

soyizgood
08-05-2009, 08:00 PM
Do any of the players mentioed use the Eastern Backhand grip on the serve?

Federer uses an eastern 1HBH. I doubt anyone here will dispute that one.

LES
08-08-2009, 07:47 PM
10 chararacters

slice bh compliment
08-09-2009, 02:51 AM
Federer uses an eastern 1HBH. I doubt anyone here will dispute that one.

It's actually a strong version of an extreme continental or a weak version of an extreme eastern.

Some teaching pros call it an eastern-western grip....more to the west of what Pete or Lendl used.

But less southern and more continental than Guga's or Rafter's......who happen to be from the southern hemisphere.

The whole grip thing is pretty complex, actually.;-) EDIT:
I'm kidding with you soy. I'm with you.

It's funny how we overthink things. But it's not preposterous. It involves a lot of bevels, the poition of the base knuckle of the index finger, the heel of the hand...you gotta number each bevel and learn all about geography, too. Wait until you guys take the USPTA test. It accurately reflects how dogmatic people are about stuff.

Ask an actual playing professional about grips. Usually he'll show you two or three slightly different grips, depending upon the situation. I remember Nastase was asked and he almost sounded like a Transylvanian Keith Richards, "Don't ask me this, man, I don't know, I heet the ball."