PDA

View Full Version : whats roy emerson place in history

makhan10
05-29-2009, 09:06 AM
after all he won 12GS.....
ofcourse we all acknowledge laver 2CYGS acheivements and have rod laver arena named after but what about roy emerson.......... i dont see his name mention anywhere before sampras he was the person with the most GS

RoddickAce
05-29-2009, 09:22 AM
It's because he won against a field of amateur players when the other top players turned pro and couldn't play in grand slams.

baseliner
05-29-2009, 09:54 AM
He may have played against a weak crew of amateurs, but he dominated that group. In the discussions on this board of GOAT, the pros that did not get to play the 4 majors (restricted to amateurs) are given short shrift. Laver with 2 calendar year grand slams is not given his due. Emmo with 12 GS's is never mentioned. By the way, as an amateur, how much you want to bet Emmos' earnings exceeded all but a few on the pro circuit?

Douggo
05-29-2009, 10:58 AM
He's the only Slam winner against whom I've ever returned a ball.

flying24
05-29-2009, 03:41 PM
I think he deserves to be atleast top 20 all time.

CyBorg
05-29-2009, 07:13 PM
In Emerson's defense, the field of amateurs he played against was definitely not weak. Though obviously not on par with the pros.

grafselesfan
05-29-2009, 07:14 PM
In Emerson's defense, the field of amateurs he played against was definitely not weak. Though obviously not on par with the pros.

Yeah and if Federer is credited so much for winning 13 slams vs a terrible field for atleast 10 of those, shouldnt Emerson likewise be credited highly for winning 12 vs a depleted field. :twisted:

Thomas Tung
05-29-2009, 07:25 PM

The thing is, the "pros" of that era were like a who's who of many of the greatest players ever to play the game. Gonzales, Rosewall, Laver, are some of the names that immediately come to mind.

A more apt comparison would be Jimmy Connors' early career, where he mostly played lesser pros in "Riordan Circuit" tournaments, although there were a few big names on that circuit (Ilie Nastase if I remember correctly).