Nike Tennis2005
03-18-2005, 06:24 PM
What is the latest?

Prince_of_Tennis
03-18-2005, 06:28 PM
huh???? Are you ok?

Noelle
03-18-2005, 06:39 PM
The latest? No news yet from the Roddick camp, the Reebok camp, or the Nike camp.

Give it a rest and just wait for the news, ok?

Fee
03-18-2005, 06:53 PM
Mark your calendar for March 31st/April 1st and let it rest until then please. Thanks.

Nike Tennis2005
03-18-2005, 07:14 PM
Its like only a week or so until the 1st, surley we will hear about the new contract. I am surpried nothing has happened yet.

schaefferm46
03-18-2005, 07:42 PM
They were asking him somthing about that in one of the press confrencese and he said he didnt know anything.

canajun4
03-18-2005, 08:38 PM
i don't know why roddick would go with nike other than money because he is pretty much the face of reebok in the states other than allen iverson. he has his own line of everything and there aren't many players that wear reebok especially in the top players. also federer, hewitt, agassi, nadal, moya .... i could keep going, all wear nike and reebok sets roddick apart. reebok needs him and i expect a very large sum of money coming his way to keep him. he is so marketable even when he isn't winning grand slams.

Dopke
03-18-2005, 09:22 PM
well said canajun

raftermania
03-18-2005, 10:09 PM
Still marketable even when he drops out of the tennis world and goes under the stage name Roddick - if you get my drift?

nn
03-18-2005, 10:55 PM
If has sign with Nike we should know by now...let see

Stuck
03-19-2005, 12:15 PM
I'll say this, Nike isn't dumb enough to make a shoe that looks like the Match Day pump that is for sure. Roddick's style fits Reeboks reputation perfectly..Always second or third best behind Nike or Addidas as compared to Federer and Safin. Roddick is caught up in to many things other than tennis. A Sampras or Fed he will never be. Those two focused or focus on tennis all the time and when Sampras started showing up at Laker games with Hollywood chicks and started enjoying his celebrity he started to slip as well. Roddick needs to examine why he is famous and reshape his game.

Nike Tennis2005
03-19-2005, 03:27 PM
^^^Very well said, couldent agree more.

nn
03-19-2005, 03:37 PM
as if agassi never went with hollywood chick and he never gone out of top 100.. it is not game or player it has more to do with $$$$$...

canajun4
03-19-2005, 03:38 PM
well i wouldn't say that roddick's game is slipping. really its just that federer had one of the best years ever last year which overshadowed roddick. he still finished #2 and had a great record. also reebok isn't that low on the list, look at all the nfl and nba, both of them are using all reebok gear now, reebok is really making a comeback also with g-unit and jay-z. but the fact that roddick is a celebrity and that he has a big hand in the design of his clothes is what sets him apart. how many times have you seen the nike sponsored players wearing the exact same shirt when they are playing each other. they don't stand apart and roddick does in reebok which is why he will stay with them

Nike Tennis2005
03-19-2005, 04:00 PM
Roddick is big in America, Agassi will soon retire so Nike needs Roddick for the face of Nike Tennis in America.

Serena2
03-19-2005, 04:09 PM
Andy will look good in whatever he wears!

lacoster
03-19-2005, 07:59 PM
I would not be surprised if Nike signs Roddick with their powerful buying power. Nike fought hard to "buy" Serena Williams from Puma and other competitors on the WTA, amidst their existing marquee endorsees on tour, such as Davenport, Sharapova, Myskina, Mauresmo, all fixtures on the top-5. Nike has an exclusive clothing line designed exclusively for Serena, so it is not out of the question if Andy wants to wear something totally different from the other players on tour. But Reebok has to shell out the big bucks to keep Andy, or else their market share on the tennis industry will dramatically decrease.
________
Dodge Venom (http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/Dodge_Venom)

Nike Tennis2005
03-20-2005, 09:54 PM
Hopefully roddick can have his own "brand" in nike like serena and lebron james.

gts072
03-22-2005, 10:27 AM
I personally think there are too many pros wearing Nike gear. If Nike made Roddick his "own" brand then why didn't they make one for No.1 Federer in the first place?? Nike gear is too generic right now and every player who wears it ends up looking the same (men's side). Roddick should stick to RBK because he looks to be a better fit for that brand.

lacoster
03-22-2005, 06:15 PM
Federer, much like Sampras, doesn't have a big presence in our pop culture that would make the general public want to buy his clothes. The last male tennis player that was marketable enough to have an exclusive "brand within a brand" with Nike was Andre Agassi, with the trademark "A" logo in the mid to late 90's. Tiger Woods has his "TW" logo and now Serena has her "S" logo (mainly on bandanas). Roddick and Serena appeal heavily to the trendy young demographic that see them in arenas outside the tennis court, like SNL, VH1, and MTV's "punk'd."
________
Iolite vaporizer review (http://vaporizers.net/iolite-vaporizer)

Nike Tennis2005
03-22-2005, 08:42 PM
Whatever federer wears I want to buy it but thats just me. I do agree with Roddick and pop culture but I do think Roddick will make the switch to nike.

35ft6
03-22-2005, 08:43 PM
It seems to me that even if Reebok is able and willing to pay Roddick more to keep him, the Nike publicity machine will elevate his visibility to such an extent that he could end up asking for more in other endorsements. Nike creates icons. Andy is probably better off financially going Nike. Imagine what a commercial with him, Tiger Woods, and Lebron in it could do for his image.

Nike Tennis2005
03-22-2005, 11:49 PM
^^^that would be awesome....any word on when he will announce?

ollinger
03-23-2005, 09:56 AM
I'm curious about these posts from NikeTennis2005, as they feature a kind of mindless boosterism not usually seen on this board; even the Vantage posts had some perspective and were rational. Are you a Nike employee? Did a Nike employee ever save your life (or a pair of Nikes enable you to flee danger)? Do you really care this much about what logo Roddick has on his presumably custom-made shoes? What makes this important to you? I ask in all earnestness as I'm fascinated when someone identifies so strongly with a corporation. It's been said that rooting for professional sports teams these days is essentially rooting for "laundry" (i.e., the uniform) since the players change teams so frequently that the team ceases to have a true identity. Rooting for a sneaker manufacturer seems even odder to me. Tell us why you feel so strongly about Nike.
________
WELLBUTRIN ATTORNEYS (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/wellbutrin/)

fan_of_reds
03-23-2005, 10:17 AM
I'm curious about these posts from NikeTennis2005, as they feature a kind of mindless boosterism not usually seen on this board; even the Vantage posts had some perspective and were rational. Are you a Nike employee? Did a Nike employee ever save your life (or a pair of Nikes enable you to flee danger)? Do you really care this much about what logo Roddick has on his presumably custom-made shoes? What makes this important to you? I ask in all earnestness as I'm fascinated when someone identifies so strongly with a corporation. It's been said that rooting for professional sports teams these days is essentially rooting for "laundry" (i.e., the uniform) since the players change teams so frequently that the team ceases to have a true identity. Rooting for a sneaker manufacturer seems even odder to me. Tell us why you feel so strongly about Nike.

...and to top it off, rooting for Nike to swallow up another star is like rooting for Goliath to crush David...what's the fun in that? Although I personally prefer Nike over Reebok (ugh)...I still don't want one company (in any market) to swallow up all the stars/market share/whatever...imagine if Nike completed dominated the market what prices would be like: they are bad enough as it is!

raftermania
03-23-2005, 10:24 AM
Rooting for laundry - that's a good one hahaha

Don't put too much hope in getting niketennis2005 to open up, he is here for very strict business: to talk about nike gear, bug the tw staff about nike gear and wish tw could ship nike gear to australia.

El Diablo
03-23-2005, 11:07 AM
Yeah, Nike prices seem generally insane compared to the competition. Are the Indonesians, or whoever makes them, requesting health benefits -- like malaria nets.

Fee
03-23-2005, 11:43 AM
$100 nike shoes, cost about $20 to make, and the person who makes the majority of the shoe barely makes $100 a month. 10 hour days, 6 days a week, starting at about age 14 if I remember correctly. I really wish Roger would do one of his goodwill charity trips to a nike factory, that would be newsworthy.

BreakPoint
03-23-2005, 12:24 PM
Nike shoes cost $100 because every time you buy a pair, Nike has to pay $50 of it to guys like Federer, Agassi, Hewitt, Moya, Serena, Jordan, Woods and all the others that have million dollar endorsement deals with Nike. I hope you guys don't think that Nike pays these people millions of dollars out of the goodness of their heart? It comes out of your pocket every time you buy Nike shoes or shirts, etc. So that $100 pair of Nike shoes is really worth only $50 retail, and probably cost less than $10 to make. Remember that Nike is a very profitable company despite paying hundreds of millions of dollars in salaries (and all the free shoes and clothes they can handle) to all of their endorsement pros.

ibemadskillzz
03-23-2005, 01:51 PM
roddick needs more hot azz chicks. Nike produces these shoes through mass production, that means that each shoe is worth about $ 0.50 to make for them.

BDAZ
03-23-2005, 02:02 PM
hey, Nike Tennis2005, go to gettyimages.com and check out pics from the nasdaq100. you can see some of the new nike gear on robby ginepri and brendan evans, who, by the way, looks like he may actually use the lm radical (probably tour version). lm ridges look like the real deal.

canajun4
03-23-2005, 02:41 PM
it seems to me that roddick is a pretty loyal guy. i mean reebok supported him when i'm sure nike had the chance but wanted to wait and see how he turned out. i think roddick will be loyal to reebok and stay with him cause that seems to be his character.

35ft6
03-23-2005, 06:05 PM
On Chasing the Dream, a documentary on the TTC featuring 17 yo Roddick, Mahut, and two chicks, Roddick's mom recalls a story about how 10 yo Andy came up to her one day and said he was going to be sponsored by Reebok.

She was like "whoa, you're 10 yo, what are you talking about?" Andy had gone up to a Reebok rep and said "I'm Andy Roddick and I'm going to be a great tennis player and this is your chance to sign me" and they fell for it. It's a cute story. Canajun's comment about Roddick's loyalty sparked my memory. It would be sort of bittersweet if he went with Nike considering how he and Reebok hooked up.

Nike Tennis2005
03-23-2005, 09:30 PM
^^^ what was robby wearing?

bc-05
03-24-2005, 01:18 AM
ohh how cute

moosryan
03-24-2005, 03:01 AM
the reebok rep who comes to a big local tennis store confirmed to me that they just didn't have the money roddick wants. who'd a thunk, bucha sellouts.

Nike Tennis2005
03-24-2005, 03:40 AM
So you think he will make the switch?

splink779
03-24-2005, 04:43 AM
I don't really care what brand he wears as long as he gets rid of the trucker hat! I'd rather he go back to the visor and crazy hair. But I guess he needs a hat with all the sweat that comes off his head.

Nike Tennis2005
03-24-2005, 05:43 AM
Well after the Nasdaz-100 we will find out what Roddick choose.

acesrus
03-24-2005, 06:29 AM
I know that Andy's agent has been down at Reebok HQ in Massachusetts several times hammering out the last details on the deal. I think the offer is very sweet indeed, and a lot of it is incentive based, so if he learns to volley and hit a backhand he should do quite well.

Nike Tennis2005
03-24-2005, 03:18 PM
^doubtful, if he signs with nike he will become more marketable.