PDA

View Full Version : College Kids in Men's 4.0 Leagues

martymule
05-30-2009, 04:03 PM
I was just curious in anyone knows what levels that the college players should be rated. We have a lot in our 4.0 league and I was just curious how that worked. Some of these kids are pretty good and I am surprised to see them playing at that level. I wasn't sure if a Division 1 player was automatically rated one way, a Division 2 player another, etc. I know that Division 1,2 and 3 really doesn't mean much depending on the school and I was trying to figure out how the USTA addresses it.

OrangePower
05-30-2009, 04:16 PM
I was just curious in anyone knows what levels that the college players should be rated. We have a lot in our 4.0 league and I was just curious how that worked. Some of these kids are pretty good and I am surprised to see them playing at that level. I wasn't sure if a Division 1 player was automatically rated one way, a Division 2 player another, etc. I know that Division 1,2 and 3 really doesn't mean much depending on the school and I was trying to figure out how the USTA addresses it.

Take a look at the guidelines here: http://www.usta.com/~/media/9B46CE5C64B14C04B93686466D9C47AA.ashx

The lowest a college player should be rated is 4.5, assuming they are under 35 and that they actually play/played for the college team.

But if by 'college player' you mean someone that is attending college but you don't know that they actually play for the college team, then they self rate just like anyone else. I know some college kids who are not good enough to play for their school and play USTA league, and are legitimate 4.0s.

nytennisaddict
05-30-2009, 04:17 PM
http://www.usta.com/~/media/9B46CE5C64B14C04B93686466D9C47AA.ashx

martymule
05-30-2009, 04:31 PM
Thanks for your replies. I was actually referring to the kids who play on their college or university teams. Assuming the chart is accurate, how could any college player who starts on their Division 2 or 3 college team play in a 4.0 league?

nytennisaddict
05-30-2009, 04:40 PM
Self-rating on the USTA web site is based on the honor system. It asks you a series of questions (eg. did you play jr tennis, college, etc...)... it's very easy to bypass, and say, 4.0.

In general if I was a college kid, coming back to my club or local tennis courts, and some shady captain desperate for a league win (you know, because league standings define them for the year) was hounding me to play #1 singles for their team, I'd be thinking, "Awesome, another opportunity to play competitive tennis to get in shape for next season (and maybe a chance to work on the weaker parts of my game...) and I can still play 4.5, 5.0, and Open tourneys"

If they are destroying folks, they'll be DQ'd quickly... in the meantime, if you get a chance to play them, it's a free opportunity to see what higher level tennis is like...