PDA

View Full Version : At the risk of seeming partisan...

BTURNER
05-30-2009, 07:59 PM
Have to post this as a reply to a post on Borg.

krosero: "... Trabert once said that when Borg is down he starts going for more (a lot like Laver), starts taking chances. Borg always had consistency, and always will. What makes him dangerous is when he's either confident enough to add some risks, or he's got no other choice because he's down break point or match point...
With his back to the wall, he was suddenly covering the court better...
It seemed a little bit like magic to me, back in '93, how the winners suddenly started coming from someone's racquet. Now I think I can see specific causes, first and foremost how he got his racquet into perfect position, with speed, footwork, and reflexes... "

Tell me this isn't the same quality.
Evert's competitive fire and incredible shotmaking is rekindled this last time. Part 2 is particularly glorious stuff. We know she he reached the semifinals or better in 51 of 55 slams entered . This video shows how.

part 1 :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdEckKq6vEE

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uFQQXKnVto

part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPYmFfrHhF0

Hell, so I am partisan, shoot me!

CEvertFan
05-30-2009, 09:42 PM
God, I haven't seen this match in years! I remember watching it on HBO with their superb tennis coverage. Chris really fought so hard to come back from so far down - no one thought she would win this match, even me. Golarsa was in the zone for most of that match but Evert still found a way to win.

A definite blast from the past!

Evert also looked lovely that day. Very pretty and feminine, but what a fighter. The current women could learn a thing or three from watching this.

Lionheart392
05-31-2009, 04:34 AM
I loved Chris's 80s hair :)

BTURNER
05-31-2009, 05:44 AM
"Golarsa was in the zone for most of that match but Evert still found a way to win."

When I first saw this match I thought I was watching Mandlikova. The shotmaking and movement Golarsa was displaying was extraordinary. Again I don't care who tells you to 'play your own game' any S/Ver, up 5-2 or 5-3 and fortunate enough to play Evert in the middle of a crisis of confidence, needs to stay the hell away from her backhand wing . That is the shot that brought her from the brink until the rest of her game came back.

hoodjem
05-31-2009, 06:22 AM
Yep. Evert and a PS 6.0= tough combination.

CEvertFan
05-31-2009, 12:25 PM
"Golarsa was in the zone for most of that match but Evert still found a way to win."

When I first saw this match I thought I was watching Mandlikova. The shotmaking and movement Golarsa was displaying was extraordinary. Again I don't care who tells you to 'play your own game' any S/Ver, up 5-2 or 5-3 and fortunate enough to play Evert in the middle of a crisis of confidence, needs to stay the hell away from her backhand wing . That is the shot that brought her from the brink until the rest of her game came back.

I agree. Watching it again I immediately noticed that Golarsa kept approaching to the Evert backhand - big mistake. For most of the match until she could smell the win it was really the only shot that was even sort of working for Evert and it pulled her back from the brink. It was fitting that Evert should make it to the semis yet again for her last Wimbledon.

I don't think I ever saw Golarsa play anywhere near that level again. She just sort of faded away after that tough loss.

BTURNER
05-31-2009, 01:29 PM
"I don't think I ever saw Golarsa play anywhere near that level again. She just sort of faded away after that tough loss.[/QUOTE]"

Career highlights per WTA

1989 - Was two points away from biggest victory of career against Evert in QF of Wimbledon before Evert rallied for a 63 26 75 triumph; Golarsa was first Italian woman to reach a Wimbledon QF since 1933
1996 - Unseeded, reached mixed doubles SF at Wimbledon with Van Rensburg, upsetting ninth seeds in 1r; fell to top seeds in 3s
1997 - Won first singles title in seven years at ITF/Cergy-Pontoise-FRA, d. top seed Anne-Gaelle Sidot in final 46 75 76
1998 - Enjoyed best US Open result in five years and won a Grand Slam match for first time in over a year, advancing to 3r; at Birmingham, a grass court event, d. Chladkova and No. 10 seed Tanasugarn to reach 3r; made first singles SF appearance in six years at Istanbul, taking out No. 2 seed Appelmans in 1r and No. 6 seed Smashnova in QF
1999 - Reached 3r at Wimbledon
2000 - Off the Tour in due to injury

PERSONAL
Taught herself how to play tennis at 9 years of age...Coached by Landonio Stefano...Enjoys reading books by Sidney Sheldon (in Italian)...Favorite musicians are Bryan Adams and Elton John...Likes pizza and pasta...Plays soccer and goes snow skiing and wind surfing when not on tour; also likes to visit beaches in Porto Cervo, Italy...Has a horse, Okrand, which she has shown in dressage and jumping competitions...Has attended university in Milan, studying graphic design...Is a part-time journalist, contributing to Italian tennis newspapers and magazines.

AWARDS
Has career wins over Novotna, Garrison, Wiesner and Rittner
In juniors, reached the finals of the 1985 Italian Open
Elected to the WTA Tour Players Association Board of Directors in 1996/9

CEvertFan
05-31-2009, 02:54 PM
Career highlights per WTA

1989 - Was two points away from biggest victory of career against Evert in QF of Wimbledon before Evert rallied for a 63 26 75 triumph; Golarsa was first Italian woman to reach a Wimbledon QF since 1933
1996 - Unseeded, reached mixed doubles SF at Wimbledon with Van Rensburg, upsetting ninth seeds in 1r; fell to top seeds in 3s
1997 - Won first singles title in seven years at ITF/Cergy-Pontoise-FRA, d. top seed Anne-Gaelle Sidot in final 46 75 76
1998 - Enjoyed best US Open result in five years and won a Grand Slam match for first time in over a year, advancing to 3r; at Birmingham, a grass court event, d. Chladkova and No. 10 seed Tanasugarn to reach 3r; made first singles SF appearance in six years at Istanbul, taking out No. 2 seed Appelmans in 1r and No. 6 seed Smashnova in QF
1999 - Reached 3r at Wimbledon
2000 - Off the Tour in due to injury

PERSONAL
Taught herself how to play tennis at 9 years of age...Coached by Landonio Stefano...Enjoys reading books by Sidney Sheldon (in Italian)...Favorite musicians are Bryan Adams and Elton John...Likes pizza and pasta...Plays soccer and goes snow skiing and wind surfing when not on tour; also likes to visit beaches in Porto Cervo, Italy...Has a horse, Okrand, which she has shown in dressage and jumping competitions...Has attended university in Milan, studying graphic design...Is a part-time journalist, contributing to Italian tennis newspapers and magazines.

AWARDS
Has career wins over Novotna, Garrison, Wiesner and Rittner
In juniors, reached the finals of the 1985 Italian Open
Elected to the WTA Tour Players Association Board of Directors in 1996/9

Not exactly a sterling resume.

Arafel
05-31-2009, 03:32 PM
The interesting thing about this match, which I learned from "The Rivals," is that when Martina heard Chris was close to losing, she raced into the stands and started loudly cheering for Chris to come back. Chris hit a backhand winner, heard Martina cheering her on, looked up at her and smiled, then finished her comeback.

CEvertFan
05-31-2009, 04:08 PM
The interesting thing about this match, which I learned from "The Rivals," is that when Martina heard Chris was close to losing, she raced into the stands and started loudly cheering for Chris to come back. Chris hit a backhand winner, heard Martina cheering her on, looked up at her and smiled, then finished her comeback.

I remember reading that but they are truly close friends even though they waged war against one another on the court, so it's no surprise. Martina was always the more demonstrative of the two, wearing her heart on her sleeve, so it doesn't surprise me that she would do something like that. I thought it was very cool of Martina to do that though. I really do like Martina just as much as I like Evert. It was hard to watch their battles because it was hard to pick one to root for.

BTURNER
05-31-2009, 04:41 PM
This less than sterling resume, just does not match the talent I saw. That Golarsa girl really could have done something! her record may show a hack. But I saw streaks of shots and gift that belies that summation. Maybe with a better coach something she could have won some tourneys

You know had Evert won against Garrison a few months hence for this match. Martina would have had to thrust the final sword in. Considering how well Evert played the Seles match, I always wonder if Navratilova would have been too nervous to keep the ball in play considering the stakes, the history and the crowd etc if the match got tight. I could easily have seen Evert lifting her game against Martina and getting in the final in 1989!

CEvertFan
05-31-2009, 05:39 PM
This less than sterling resume, just does not match the talent I saw. That Golarsa girl really could have done something! her record may show a hack. But I saw streaks of shots and gift that belies that summation. Maybe with a better coach something she could have won some tourneys

You know had Evert won against Garrison a few months hence for this match. Martina would have had to thrust the final sword in. Considering how well Evert played the Seles match, I always wonder if Navratilova would have been too nervous to keep the ball in play considering the stakes, the history and the crowd etc if the match got tight. I could easily have seen Evert lifting her game against Martina and getting in the final in 1989!

You could be right about that. Martina's nerves were pretty shaky at times in '88 and '89 and if Evert had gotten that far and dug in her heels against a nervous Navratilova she could have beaten her. It probably would have been another epic battle like the '88 Wimbledon semi but you know the crowd would have been cheering wildly for Evert which would have also unnerved Martina. Unfortunately Evert was too flat against Garrison - the tank was empty - and Zina played well that day.

I think Evert was so relieved to get past Seles that she just relaxed too much for once and couldn't psych herself back up again.

Lionheart392
05-31-2009, 06:44 PM
http://pzrservices.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451ccbc69e2010536bca88d970c-400wi

http://www.events-in-music.com/images/Bonnie_Tyler.jpg

I knew Chrissie reminded me of someone. 80s hair rocked! :)

BTURNER
05-31-2009, 07:11 PM
Evert played fairly well and got to 5-3. Garrison ran down everything I mean everything. She made almost no errors, broke back and the rest is history. but for that break late in the first set, I think we would have seen more drama than Martina could handle, but it would have been fitting either way.