PDA

View Full Version : Thinking Out loud... What if a pro actually switched frames and didn't use a PJ?

FedererForehand
05-31-2009, 09:32 AM
So I was just thinking, what if a pro actually decided switch frames to a newer frame and wasn't actually using a PJ? How would we ever know? With all the speculation that every pro uses a PJ (except for Federer) we'd never know about it. Which led me to my next thought, I bet there are pros who actually have switched to some of the new "technologies" and we probably never even realized it or knew about it because we were to busy trying to figure out what's really under there?

vsbabolat
05-31-2009, 09:35 AM
Well Tsonga really just swicthed to the Wilson Kobra Tour. No piant job.

dincuss
05-31-2009, 09:54 AM
And fed kinda switched

mtommer
05-31-2009, 10:11 AM
So I was just thinking, what if a pro actually decided switch frames to a newer frame and wasn't actually using a PJ? How would we ever know? With all the speculation that every pro uses a PJ (except for Federer) we'd never know about it. Which led me to my next thought, I bet there are pros who actually have switched to some of the new "technologies" and we probably never even realized it or knew about it because we were to busy trying to figure out what's really under there?

People would know by the way they figure out paint jobs, by comparing pictures and looking at string pattern, beam design, head size, pallet size, etc. etc.

johnv_pr
05-31-2009, 10:35 AM
I [K]an't figure that one out. When calling upon the intelligence that hopefully resides in my Head, my thoughts become cross-bowed and are then catapulted to an extreme port that flexes the point that I was trying to establish. Then I try to gain [K]ontrol and decide to call upon the youtek oracles. All is cool now because on my shoes....I am microgeling.

DunlopDood
05-31-2009, 10:51 AM
They would still probably kick *****, But this is a game of milliseconds and millimeters, and can you blame a pro for using what best helps them win?

bumfluff
05-31-2009, 10:58 AM
If Max Mosley ran the ATP, all the players would use the same racket and would get 20 a month to kit themselves out at Primark. Plus they wouldn't be allowed to use more than one racket per match and if they broke a string then tough titties!

FedererForehand
05-31-2009, 11:08 AM
Well Tsonga really just swicthed to the Wilson Kobra Tour. No piant job.

Your kidding... right??? I hope...

OliverSimon
05-31-2009, 11:54 AM
Your kidding... right??? I hope...

No. There has been speculation and many have said he completely switched to it.

viktorkwan
05-31-2009, 04:16 PM
I haven't really read up on the latest posts here regarding Tsonga's new racket...

But during one of his matches at the French Open, Mark Woodforde did say that Tsonga has recently switched to a new racket just prior to the French Open and that it is an extended frame.

God knows whether it's the actual [K]obra Tour or something painted like one...

vsbabolat
05-31-2009, 04:22 PM
I'd say it is a Kobra Tour.
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/vsbabolat/Tsonga_2009_Roland_Garros_2.jpg
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/vsbabolat/Tsonga_2009_Roland_Garros_3.jpg

iamgoat
05-31-2009, 04:36 PM
^^^ obviously a BJ. i mean PJ.

P8ntballa
05-31-2009, 08:14 PM
hmmmmmm... Correct me if im wrong, but i couldda sworn that the KB had 18 mains and i just counted 16 on Tsonga's frame... hmmmmm how could this be??? Unless *gasp* he switched! Come on the new pix of him with the KobraTour are proof he switched! The beam looks thicker, the throat looks differant, and did i mention the string pattern? How long he will stay with it, i have no clue

ayuname
05-31-2009, 08:29 PM
He did switch apparently.
"to get better clay court game" or something like that.
also "has been practicing with the APD and the Kobra is similar in feel"

FedererForehand
06-01-2009, 07:31 AM
hmmmmmm... Correct me if im wrong, but i couldda sworn that the KB had 18 mains and i just counted 16 on Tsonga's frame... hmmmmm how could this be??? Unless *gasp* he switched! Come on the new pix of him with the KobraTour are proof he switched! The beam looks thicker, the throat looks differant, and did i mention the string pattern? How long he will stay with it, i have no clue

But thats just it... pros don't switch racquets... they just get new PJs. This goes against everything we are conditioned to believe... :shock:

VGP
06-01-2009, 08:46 AM
...like when JMac went from his Maxply McEnroe (wood) to the Max 200g?

Or is that too long ago to count....

diredesire
06-01-2009, 02:59 PM
I recall that Hingis also made the "real" switch to the RQS11, just before she quit.

P8ntballa
06-01-2009, 09:07 PM
But thats just it... pros don't switch racquets... they just get new PJs. This goes against everything we are conditioned to believe... :shock:

I rarely see pros change stix but it does happen.

GPG
06-01-2009, 09:13 PM
wow, for it's spects on TW, it looks really powerfull

ci2ca
06-01-2009, 09:53 PM
I'd say it is a Kobra Tour.
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/vsbabolat/Tsonga_2009_Roland_Garros_2.jpg
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/vsbabolat/Tsonga_2009_Roland_Garros_3.jpg

He's using the pro overgrip perforated. First pro I've seen that uses that.

jelle v
06-02-2009, 12:57 AM
If Max Mosley ran the ATP, all the players would use the same racket and would get 20 a month to kit themselves out at Primark. Plus they wouldn't be allowed to use more than one racket per match and if they broke a string then tough titties!

One racket per 2 matches then right? Plus if you would break a string, you would get a 10 point penalty. Also you would have to use two different kind of shoes per match. One pair with hard court soles, one pair with clay court soles.. ;)

OrangeOne
06-02-2009, 01:29 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but more than one pro does / has used Prince O-ports (or speed-ports, or whatever the newest ports are called), and presumably they have changed to them from something that wasn't 'ported'?

Of course, that said, I know that there's still nothing to say that they're using the public versions of these frames.

Someone mentioned Hingis - she may well be one of the few using standard frames at least some of the time. There was an urban legend about her walking past a shop once, seeing a new yonex frame & design, and deciding to use that there and then. Probably crap, possibly true. She did go through a lot of frames, if in paint-jobs only....

Datacipher
06-02-2009, 02:38 AM
You guys are an even stranger bunch than the old denizens of this place:
1.pros DO switch racquets, sometimes they have made huge switches ie. Seles to a granny stick, Agassi to a 30+ mm widebody, various pros to huge Wilson profiles, there are MANY MANY examples

2.generally, they use paint jobs, of course. No pro wants to switch to scam technologies that make little difference...most are happy with their current racquets

3.if THEY did want to switch, they'd play almost exactly like now. The new tech wouldn't help most very much at all, they would simply adjust, quite quickly to whatever frame they switched to. It's not the frame, it's the player.

Josherer
06-02-2009, 02:54 AM
And fed kinda switched

^^^^ Yup........

esm
06-02-2009, 03:36 AM
One racket per 2 matches then right? Plus if you would break a string, you would get a 10 point penalty. Also you would have to use two different kind of shoes per match. One pair with hard court soles, one pair with clay court soles.. ;)

and the dampeners will have to be approved by the FIA so there are no advantages to the air flow and swing weight of the racquets. ;-)