PDA

View Full Version : Getting early US Open tickets

shinta
05-31-2009, 02:12 PM
Every year it looks like all the good seats at the US open are bought out on the first morning or maybe even before they go on sale, and then resold by scalper websites for 10 - 100 times the retail price. It's really annoying. Anyone have any tips on how to get tickets for good courtside or lodge seats at the US Open for reasonable prices?

choth21
06-01-2009, 02:40 PM
unfortunately, i don't have any tips other than the normal "look on e-b-a-y and craigslist" advice, but I totally agree with you. It is so much drama to get tickets there, and even if you do have the opportunity to buy tickets, the prices are ridiculous.

nyc
06-01-2009, 02:45 PM
unless you work for one of the big sponsors, your best option is to get the whole series. After the first year, you'll have access to better seats every year thereafter.

I also heard of people creating Tennis Blogs and applying for a Press Pass - can't get any closer than that!

My favorite is still watching the matches in the Grandstand and at Armstrong - you'll sit very close to the action, but yeah, you won't see Nadal or Fed.

LES
06-03-2009, 08:46 PM
Yeah it sucks. I tried to buy when they had the USTA pre sale - everything gone within 30 mins. Then I tried the Amex pre-sale. I could score some but not in Labor Day weekend and nothing past 2nd Thurs

heycal
06-03-2009, 09:05 PM
My favorite is still watching the matches in the Grandstand and at Armstrong - you'll sit very close to the action, but yeah, you won't see Nadal or Fed.

Unless you get lucky. I sat in good seats at Amstrong one day and saw some of Fed-Gicquel, Nadal-Youzhny (great match!) and Mauresemo-Safina. I think a previous rain delay had mucked things up.

As for the OP, I think you can buy a good seat in Ashe for the later rounds for like 400 bucks close to last minute if you can afford it. There is some US Open affliated website that sells them.

El Diablo
06-04-2009, 08:11 PM
The key to scalping is to show up at the last minute when scalpers panic for fear they'll be stuck with the tickets. A friend of mine showed up outside Ashe at 4 PM the day of the men's final a few years ago, minutes before the match, and got tickets for less than face value. Two people I know recently went on StubHub a few hours before a Yankee game, again when sellers will dump tickets at almost any cost, and got $400 seats for $50.

heycal
06-04-2009, 08:58 PM
The key to scalping is to show up at the last minute when scalpers panic for fear they'll be stuck with the tickets. A friend of mine showed up outside Ashe at 4 PM the day of the men's final a few years ago, minutes before the match, and got tickets for less than face value.

Do they allow scalpers to hang around selling tickets outside Ashe?

nyc
06-05-2009, 07:57 AM
Do they allow scalpers to hang around selling tickets outside Ashe?

no they don't....closest you'll find them is on the 7 Train platforms at Grand Central and Times Square

gooberwho
06-06-2009, 03:13 PM
is it worth buying night session tickets for Ashe on Labor Day (Monday evening, Sept. 7) in the Amex pre-sale? will they sell out?

my concern is forking over money to Ticketmaster (man, do I hate them for their mandatory "fees") when I can get them later without the extra costs.