PDA

View Full Version : US Open 75-78

egn
05-31-2009, 07:02 PM
I was browsing through wikipedia and realized the earlier rounds were best of 3 does anyone know why this occurred? I myself never had stumbled across this and it appears the first 3 rounds were best of 3..is there any offical explanation for this. Or is wikipedia just making a crazy error?

egn
06-01-2009, 12:35 PM
Bump.

Nobody knows I can't find anything on it.

Moose Malloy
06-01-2009, 01:15 PM
USO was trying to prevent upsets & injuries. I believe it was only a 12 day event back then, so players having to play back to back days was not uncommon. I've seen articles from those days where some players complained about this (some of the scheduling back then puts complaints today to shame. imagine playing a 5 setter at night & then being scheduled again at 11 am the next day?? you can find articles mentioning this on SI)

The French also tried best of 3 early round matches a few years(and it may have only been a 10 day event for some years I think....that's a lot of tennis to be played in a short amount of time)

egn
06-01-2009, 02:10 PM
USO was trying to prevent upsets & injuries. I believe it was only a 12 day event back then, so players having to play back to back days was not uncommon. I've seen articles from those days where some players complained about this (some of the scheduling back then puts complaints today to shame. imagine playing a 5 setter at night & then being scheduled again at 11 am the next day?? you can find articles mentioning this on SI)

The French also tried best of 3 early round matches a few years(and it may have only been a 10 day event for some years I think....that's a lot of tennis to be played in a short amount of time)

Thank you I had not realized this was so wow that really sucks for the players in the 70s

CyBorg
06-01-2009, 02:49 PM
I wonder if this was partly a reaction to Rosewall's exhaustion in the 1974 final. That was not the most entertaining match in tournament's history.

Tshooter
06-02-2009, 09:08 PM
It was 2 out of 3 until the quarters at least through 1977. I don't remember if they went 3 out of 5 that first year at Flushing Meadows.

And it started on a Wednesday.

The tournament in 1977, the last year at Forest Hills, began Wednesday August 31 and Connors beat Borg in the finals on Sunday September 11, 1977.

Here is some USO 1977 trivia for you.

(1) USO 1977 introduced the "Point Penalty System."

(2) At the USO 1977 both Connors and Borg played their opening round matches on the same day (I believe it was on Thursday, the second day of the tournament) on field courts. And the field courts at Forest Hills were small.

This would be the equivalent of having Federer and Nadal play their opening round matches on court 17 and 18 at Flushing Meadows.

Who was playing in the stadium at the time Connors and Borg were out on the field courts? Virgina Wade v. Renee Richards. That's how much interest there was in Renee Richards at the time.

Moose Malloy
06-03-2009, 12:11 PM
^very interesting. do you know what other matches were in the stadium that day? I assume some men's matches were scheduled that day, in addition to Richards.

I've read comments from Laver, saying he had to play some matches in his career on outer courts at Wimbledon, even after he won it.

anyone know when majors started becoming 14 day events?

Tshooter
06-04-2009, 12:14 AM
"do you know what other matches were in the stadium that day?"

No idea. I know I saw Billy Martin take out Harold Solomon in the stadium but I don't know if it was that day or the day before. Billy Martin was one of the most successful college players ever (I think him and Scott Davis) but he never really made it on the pro tour. Taking out Solomon was a big win though. Solomon was top 10 at the time.

It was a long time ago so only certain things stand out in my memory.

I do remember I choose to see Connors instead of Borg (no way you were getting a seat back if you gave it up). Probably because my friends preferred him because I was a Borg fan. I also seem to remember the guy Connors was playing was Indian. Not Krishnan though (also one of my favorite players).

They charged 50 cents for Italian Ices. That was the cart vendor then. Italian Ices. Now they sell Champagne at Flushing Meadows and its all about the corporate suites....

I remember watching JMac practicing with PMac (who had to be in the juniors). JMac was not a star, he was a curiosity having burst through at W a few months before. But I saw him later in the tourney on the stadium court where he took out Eddie Dibbs.

I remember Alan King chatting with Adriano Panatta because I was a big Panatta fan. Alan King, if you don't know him, was a comedian. He was also a huge tennis fan. He had a tournament (I think out in Vegas) for a while. And he had one of the best boxes at the USO. Which he kept every year. Dead center, behind the court.

I think it was $7 bucks to get in. Something like that.