PDA

View Full Version : Graf really should have won 3 Calender Slams but for untimely DNPs

grafselesfan
05-31-2009, 08:47 PM
I know many people dont talk about this but Steffi Graf really should have won 3 calender slams which would have cemented her as the undisputed female GOAT! What I mean by that is she won all 3 slams she played in both 1995 and 1996. Had she not had to miss the 1995 and 1996 Australian Opens with injury she surely would have won based on her complete dominance during this 2 year time span, in going 6-for-6 in slams during those years, and thus achieved 3 Calender Slams.

CEvertFan
05-31-2009, 10:41 PM
Injuries are part of what an athlete has to deal with. Steffi's legacy is secure. Haven't we had enough of the woulda coulda shoulda threads?

grafselesfan
05-31-2009, 11:07 PM
Injuries are part of what an athlete has to deal with. Steffi's legacy is secure. Haven't we had enough of the woulda coulda shoulda threads?

Hey others make those for other players, especialy their favorites, so what is wrong with me doing the same for my favorite player. I am just surprised this isnt brought up more often. It is amazing to think she was virtually certain to win 3 Calender Slams without the worst ill timed injuries. From 1987 to 1996 she only misses a slam 3 years out of the 10, and 2 of those 3 end up in a year she wins the other 3. Hugely bad luck.

rolandg
06-01-2009, 12:10 AM

Exactly. The biggest 'what if?' in women's tennis is actually how many slams Court would have won if she hadn't left the tour to have children. She most likley would have close to 30.

grafselesfan
06-01-2009, 12:12 AM
Exactly. The biggest 'what if?' in women's tennis is actually how many slams Court would have won if she hadn't left the tour to have children. She most likley would have close to 30.

it is possible. Or maybe she needed the breaks to be mentally refreshed again?

rolandg
06-01-2009, 01:08 AM
it is possible. Or maybe she needed the breaks to be mentally refreshed again?

LOl I don't think pushing a baby out of you could be considered a 'break' surely?

I know what you mean though. Who knows?

grafselesfan
06-01-2009, 01:13 AM
LOl I don't think pushing a baby out of you could be considered a 'break' surely?

I know what you mean though. Who knows?

True on the first part. :)

I think Court is underrated in North America largely since she isnt an American for starters. Of the obvious 10 greatest women players ever 7 out of 10 were or became American citizens- Wills Moody, Connolly, King, Evert, Navratilova, Seles, and Serena. That leaves only 3 others- Graf, Lenglen, and Court. Graf is much more recent than the other two, thus more in the public eye, and she also moved to the U.S during her playing career and is now married to a legendary and very popular American mens player. Lenglen is something of a novelty since she was the first truly great and dominant player of the sport.

Lionheart392
06-01-2009, 12:04 PM
She probably would have, but as CEvertfan points out, her legacy is secure. :)