PDA

View Full Version : Swede wanting to play D3 College tennis.

Otherside
06-01-2009, 10:16 AM
I'm really intrerrested in going across the Atlantic after christmas, I have contacted kilroytravels in sweden, they charge approx 3000 dollars to arrange all the papers, contact schools and find me a school that suits me both tennis and academicwise. If I like it I would like to study for a bachelor.

Since I'm 25 a sporting scholarship will be tough but an academic one more likely and I can probably get half of the tuition paid.

Which schools do you recommend.? California or Florida is what I'd prefer since the long winters is why I'm leaving Sweden. BUt which other states has a nice climate all year?
What level are the D3 players at?

/Peter

onehandbh
06-01-2009, 11:55 AM
I'm really intrerrested in going across the Atlantic after christmas, I have contacted kilroytravels in sweden, they charge approx 3000 dollars to arrange all the papers, contact schools and find me a school that suits me both tennis and academicwise. If I like it I would like to study for a bachelor.

Since I'm 25 a sporting scholarship will be tough but an academic one more likely and I can probably get half of the tuition paid.

Which schools do you recommend.? California or Florida is what I'd prefer since the long winters is why I'm leaving Sweden. BUt which other states has a nice climate all year?

/Peter

D3 schools range probably from 4.5 - 6.0?
You should probably start playing as many tournaments
as possible to start getting ready for competitive
tennis.

vandre
06-01-2009, 01:52 PM

/Peter

look at schools in arizona, new mexico and texas too for warm weather. florida is nice but the humidity can get very high there. if access to an ocean is a dealbreaker, then arizona and new mexico are out.

d3 can be kinda hard to judge. i played d3 at a school in the ******* and at 3.5 i'm better now than i was then; however, in this day and age especially at warm weather schools, i'd expect that everyone is 4.0+ at least.

are you going to look into private schools???

Slicendicer
06-01-2009, 06:58 PM
Georgia, Alabama, Florida, Tennesee, basically an south eastern state. Look for Junior Colleges, you can get a full tennis scholarship pretty easily if you can play.

Otherside
06-02-2009, 12:38 AM
look at schools in arizona, new mexico and texas too for warm weather. florida is nice but the humidity can get very high there. if access to an ocean is a dealbreaker, then arizona and new mexico are out.

d3 can be kinda hard to judge. i played d3 at a school in the ******* and at 3.5 i'm better now than i was then; however, in this day and age especially at warm weather schools, i'd expect that everyone is 4.0+ at least.

are you going to look into private schools???

Ocean is a must:)
thanks for the reply, I'm not fumiliar with private schools?

Otherside
06-02-2009, 12:39 AM
Georgia, Alabama, Florida, Tennesee, basically an south eastern state. Look for Junior Colleges, you can get a full tennis scholarship pretty easily if you can play.

thanks for the reply, Junior colleges? help me out=)

So I can get a scholarship at age 25? according to the swedish company it was hard at my age.

/Peter

csr_88
06-02-2009, 05:51 AM
Texas!!

haha that's where I'm at....

just in case you're wondering, no, we don't all drive around in pick-up trucks with shotguns on the back.

but maybe way out west Texas you can find that, if that's your cup of tea

jaggy
06-02-2009, 09:04 AM
There are some rules about how many years you are out of high school in D1 so yes, D3 might be better

jaggy
06-02-2009, 09:08 AM
That breaks it

alb1
06-02-2009, 09:34 AM
Don't know of any D3 tennis programs in Florida. As far as southeastern US with little chance of snow: Emory and Oglethorpe in Atlanta GA, Huntingdon in Montgomery AL, Birmingham Southern in Birmingham, AL, Belhaven and Millsaps in Jackson, MS. You'll have to drive a while to get to the beach from these schools. Texas has a number of D3 teams. Playing level varies a lot from school to school.

Vik
06-02-2009, 11:00 AM
D3 tennis ability can range from very good to very bad. There are no athletic scholarships in D3.
Most, if not all D3 schools are small private colleges with tuition costs much higher than public (state funded) universities.
A 25 y/o Swede getting an academic scholarship to one of these schools seems a bit of a stretch. But who knows?

25 is too old for D1. Think you could still do D2/D3/JC/NAIA.

Otherside
06-02-2009, 01:12 PM
It's a shame I'm so frickin old, I'll always regret that I stopped playing, tennis is so much fun right now, Improving rapidly since I started dealing with technique again and I now have the stamina to to really tough foot drills on court, did 40 min side to side with short breaks yesterday, however the schools in Australia suit my academic demands better and are one third in prize. I'll probably choose Griffith Uni at the gold coast, amazing tennis facilities but I've always dreamed of playing collegetennis, the teamspirit and I love working out so it would have suited me great.

maverick66
06-02-2009, 01:26 PM
i wouldnt give up on it yet. i have known guys that were playing d3 in there late 20's. most of them were guys that could not make it on the tour started coaching and then decided it was time for school. Im 25 right now and will go to school when i recover from my illness and if its a small d3 ill play if i can. One d3 coach told me that they cant give athletic scholarships but they find other ways to get you help financially. He had something called a leadership scholarship that he could give out. it didnt cover the entire tuition but it helped.

Otherside
06-02-2009, 02:55 PM
i wouldnt give up on it yet. i have known guys that were playing d3 in there late 20's. most of them were guys that could not make it on the tour started coaching and then decided it was time for school. Im 25 right now and will go to school when i recover from my illness and if its a small d3 ill play if i can. One d3 coach told me that they cant give athletic scholarships but they find other ways to get you help financially. He had something called a leadership scholarship that he could give out. it didnt cover the entire tuition but it helped.

oki, sounds nice, but I as I'm leaving sweden and hopefully permanent I have to look into the academics first, I'd love to study in San Diego, seems like such an amzing town, I guess If I'm going just for tennis I could accept a worse chool and maybe just play for six months or somethig just to fullfill my dream.

Otherside
06-02-2009, 11:18 PM
here are some clips of me playing, do u thik I could play D3?

Short forehadcrosses, flat highforehands in the end
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o91D96WVy1Q&feature=channel_page

some hittig from the baseline

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtcJ4qtiHNY&feature=channel_page

volleys and smash

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lTJsOx_lpY&feature=channel_page

pricey_aus
06-03-2009, 06:11 AM
^^
I (IMO) believe that you could play D3, fairly comfortably.

And can I say, That court and that place looks ****ing amazing. What a perfect setout!

tennisjon
06-03-2009, 09:31 AM
I am a D3 college coach at Drew University in New Jersey. D3 schools can not offer athletic aid, but can offer academic aid to the point that it can rival the costs of a much less expensive school. Where I coach the costs are very expensive, but over 90% of students get academic aid. My team has players from England, Bulgaria, and Puerto Rico because of this.

You are too old to play D1, but other divisions offer scholarships and you can be eligible. The ability level overlaps between the divisions. We have won our conference 9 straight years and can beat some weaker D1 teams and many D2 teams that offer scholarships.

D3 schools come in all shapes and sizes in most locations across the country. Many are private schools but many are smaller public schools. Costs, therefore, vary a lot, as do the academic levels. The top D3 schools in tennis are some of the best schools academically in the country.

a-naik.1
06-03-2009, 10:17 AM
Yeah, I believe that you could play easily at a D3 school. There are a lot of really competitive D3 schools that play several D1 schools, however, I don't know any D3 schools off the coast off the top of my head. I played for a D3 school and we played several D1 schools, but I'm in Ohio...lol the climate is to unpredictable here.

ClarkC
06-03-2009, 08:22 PM
Take a look at the tennisrecruiting.net Division III team page (http://www.tennisrecruiting.net/division.asp?id=3). The SCIAC conference in California has several possibilities near the ocean. Virginia Wesleyan and Christopher Newport University are near the Atlantic Ocean. I don't believe Florida has Division III tennis.

ryangoring
06-05-2009, 10:58 AM
In florida you can go to NAIA power house Embry riddle.
The things i have heard, but that is neither hear or there. try them out. BTW what do you want to study??

Otherside
06-07-2009, 10:02 AM
thanks for all your answers! I will prob go to Australia, they have amazing facilities for tennis and maybe I'll get a chance to go to UCLA for exchange:)

I will Study business/tourism at Griffith uni in surfers paradise.