PDA

View Full Version : Nike Racquets

Conquistador
06-01-2009, 02:28 PM
Nike makes everything...except for tennis racquets. Is it a fair statement to say that Nike will enter the racquet indrustry strong. Remember Tiger woods--he first used nike clothing..then the clubs came....IS nike going to be smart enough to enter the industry while they have some big names under their clothing line...Perhaps Nadal????

dincuss
06-01-2009, 02:56 PM
Theyre gonna be smart and not release rackets

OliverSimon
06-01-2009, 04:28 PM
Nike racquets? Ew.

dextor
06-01-2009, 04:44 PM
I hope not. They should stick to shoes and apparel.

Kierai
06-01-2009, 04:48 PM
Nope. They wouldn't. Golf has a much larger market than tennis.

S H O W S T O P P E R !
06-01-2009, 05:41 PM
Nike can't sign Federer because he has lifetime contract with Wilson. Nadal won't sign with Nike because Babolat is goig to throw way more cash at him to use their pj's rather than Nike.

Finally, Nike will make crap rackets and gain a quick profit off the idiots who think Nike actually gives a crap about making solid rackets. If they did make rackets, they would be comparable to the sticks you see at Wal-Mart or the game improvement sticks on the local sporting goods shop and probably $90 more.

Conquistador
06-01-2009, 05:44 PM
They're golf clubs were sketchy at first--but years later they turned out great.

Josherer
06-01-2009, 06:09 PM
don't think they need to.,

AREYOUOUTOFYOURVULCANMIND
06-01-2009, 06:15 PM
Nike should definitely make racquets, especially since the Adidas racquets are just flying off the shelves ...

martini1
06-01-2009, 06:33 PM
Look how well the Adidas rackets are selling. Nike is not blind.

mtommer
06-01-2009, 07:14 PM
Nike isn't as popular internationally as it is here in the States. Without a "Tiger" to endorse Nike in tennis the marketing projections won't justify the cost needed to re-badge or design their own racquets.

mtommer
06-01-2009, 07:15 PM
Look how well the Adidas rackets are selling. Nike is not blind.

Adidas isn't new to the racquet game. Also, Adidas is larger internationally, especially regarding soccer which is the number one sport (I believe) in the world.

OliverSimon
06-01-2009, 07:28 PM
Are the Adidas racquets selling well? I heard many of them are not that good.

Kemitak
06-01-2009, 07:33 PM
I'd rather buy a Reebok racquet.

OliverSimon
06-01-2009, 07:35 PM
Oh man...Maybe a Sergio Tacchini racquet?

Eiffel59
06-01-2009, 11:26 PM
Oliver...Tacchini has already been a racquet maker, and for a long time..from the end of the sixties to the 2002/2003 season...nothing exceptional, tho...

BTW Nike made an approach at the idea of entering the racquets market...circa 1990 if i remember well..at that time my younger bro was area manager at the swoosh brand Italy's branch...they made marketing research, contacted some (cheap BTW... :) ) far east manufacturer, designed colour schemes for the frames (i've personally seen a couple of them) then the whole idea faded away...

tennisjon
06-04-2009, 07:28 AM
From what I have heard, Nike had done the research about 10 years ago on the feasability of entering the tennis market. It was determined that there wasn't enough money in tennis racquets industry to make it worthwhile to come up with sticks and market them. I think they had also discussed having another company make it for them, but decided in the end not to enter the racquet market.

nadal for number1
06-04-2009, 07:38 AM
idk i wouldnt buy nike rackets

kopi360
06-04-2009, 08:36 AM
Also, Adidas is larger internationally, especially regarding soccer which is the number one sport (I believe) in the world.

Nike is the kit (jersey) for many of the big soccer clubs and national teams. Some of the most recognized clubs like FC Barcelona, Inter, Arsenal, Celtic, Manchester United, Boca Juniors, America, Brazil national team.

NotSoSuper
06-04-2009, 08:53 AM
ehh i dont think they should.. With the way adidas is selling their rackets i wouldnt expect them to suddenly start..

I would try them if they did come out though.

S H O W S T O P P E R !
06-04-2009, 12:14 PM
I'd rather buy a Reebok racquet.

Lol it would have the pump at the buttcap :D

BigServer1
06-04-2009, 12:34 PM
Nike knows how tough it is to break into a market like tennis racquets, and it's not an incredibly lucrative business to get into.

Consider this...Nike has been making golf clubs for quite a few years now and still finds themselves outside of the top 5 in club sales, even with Tiger Woods endorsing their products. Just consider Callaway, Ping, Top Flight, TaylorMade, Titleist and Cleveland as club brands that compete with and in many cases outsell Nike clubs.

Nike would deal with this as well, trying to deal with Wilson, Prince, Babolat, Head and Dunlop...Nike would probably come in on the level with Yonex, Tecnifibre and Adidas and without a high profile star backing their frames. It just doesn't seem very profitable for Nike, at least not right now.

xtrakewl
06-04-2009, 12:55 PM
isn't there another thread that say that nike is going to buy prince?

aceroberts13
06-04-2009, 03:08 PM
isn't there another thread that say that nike is going to buy prince?

Thats the only possible way I think they could break into the racquet market. Just buy out a whole company.

Morrissey
06-04-2009, 04:11 PM
Nike is the kit (jersey) for many of the big soccer clubs and national teams. Some of the most recognized clubs like FC Barcelona, Inter, Arsenal, Celtic, Manchester United, Boca Juniors, America, Brazil national team.

They also sponsor the Polish national team and we know Poles are everywhere so that's a wise investment. Paris St.Germain, Atletico Madrid, Valencia, Juventus, and now the French national squad as well. I don't remember if they sponsor Mexico too. But Nike have plenty of bases covered in the soccer/football world.