PDA

View Full Version : Practice with heavier frames - tournament w. lighter?

kpaulns
06-01-2009, 11:20 PM
I wonder if it's a good / bad idea to practice with heavier frames, and to play tournaments/league with lighter ones.

It happens I have PK 5g PSE's (played w. them some time ago), and moved to PK 5G. The difference in weight is around 25-30G.

The reason I am thinking to do this, is that I started to feel my 5G becomes heavy towards the 3d set, and I am late with swings.

Thanks in advance for any ideas / thoughts.

subaru3169
06-02-2009, 12:09 AM
personally, i'd advise against it.. i'd want to train and compete with the same racket, same tensions etc

Sublime
06-02-2009, 05:24 AM
Research has shown that swinging with a heavier bat, racket, golf club, etc actually works to slow your swing speed.

It may skew your timing towards being earlier, but you'll readjust after a few swings of the lighter racket.

If your racket is feeling heavy in the 3rd set, maybe you should always play with the lighter one?

ezylman
06-02-2009, 07:15 AM
Always play with the same stick.

Swissv2
06-02-2009, 07:16 AM
You should practice how you play in a match. Switching between racquet weights is a bad thing - as the feel of hitting the ball will be completely different.

nickarnold2000
06-02-2009, 07:17 AM
Do some resistence training!

ezylman
06-02-2009, 08:11 AM
I play with a guy who switches between 3 racquets during the 5 sets that we play depending on how tired he is. He goes from one to the next to the last. After he makes the first switch, his game goes to junk because all the racquets are different makes, weights, strings, tensions, etc. It is all in his head. I have told him to pick one and stick with it, but he doesn't listen, so I just make sure I play the first set with him and tell him to use the same racquet again if I partner up with him later in the evening again.

Kick_It
06-02-2009, 10:18 AM
I would never do this any time close to a tournament I care about.

Maybe this is something you try say 5 or 6 months before a tournament you care about to see how it works out - or if you're considering switching frames permanently.

The only time I've switched from a heavy frame to a light frame was after I got tennis elbow fairly severely and my alternative was either don't play for 6 months or go down to once a week with a dramatically arm frendlier racquet (which I did for ~6 mo). After I was as healed as I was going to get - the back of adapting to the heavier frame took about 6 weeks.

K_I

Power Player
06-02-2009, 10:25 AM
If you want to get stronger, lift weights. I hate switching racquets, it has killed my game. Can't wait to have my new ones come in, and move on to getting better.

120mphBodyServe
06-08-2009, 01:36 AM
Do some resistence training!

What this guy said...
And it's spelt RESISTANCE... *sigh*

yonexxx
06-08-2009, 07:32 PM
Wayne Gretzky did this for hockey sticks but its so much different in tennis i wouldn't recommend it.

Devilito
06-10-2009, 07:44 PM
like people have said already. Pump some iron :) it helps a lot

thejackal
06-11-2009, 05:25 AM
Wayne Gretzky did this for hockey sticks but its so much different in tennis i wouldn't recommend it.

for hockey sticks: lighter = better. they haven't found a material strong enough to stand up to slashes and overall abuse and light enough so that the same dynamics as in tennis rackets apply.

martini1
06-12-2009, 05:46 PM
What do u guys think about practice with a mid and then play games with a mid plus, with similar sw and all, like the Prince graphite 100 vs 93.

I sometimes practice with a mid to help myself focus on getting the sweet spot more often.

subaru3169
06-12-2009, 09:04 PM
^^^i still say no all the time.. you want to be consistent with one type of racket

maverick66
06-12-2009, 09:23 PM
you want to keep everything the same. i get your thought process of ill get stronger or increase my head speed but that doesnt work here. You will mess up your timing and any strength gains you made are useless. stay with the same equipment for practice and tournies.

fuzz nation
06-16-2009, 07:33 AM
I think it's smart advice to avoid letting your racquet become a distraction. Sound technique is essential and you don't want different racquets messing with your timing, etc., but I think that there's room for experimentation without making a mess of yourself.

I've actually had a very positive experience with a hefty, flexible, and inherently more "dead" racquet that I used to train myself for better movement and sound stroke mechanics, but I'd only recommend trying this on the practice courts. It's certainly not for everyone and I had to put in some hard miles grinding away on the baseline over maybe a month and a half to get better, but in my case this was just what I needed.

Since my more comfortable racquet was letting me get away with too much lazy footwork and arming of the ball, the heavier, un-lively racquet forced me to work more deliberately and move much earlier to produce good strokes with more consistency. I've also needed to practice with my regular frame to stay familiar with it, but the long term work with the training racquet helped me develop stronger overall technique. Just my experience...

jms007
06-17-2009, 08:16 AM
Same racquet for everything is the way to go. I think, ideally, you want to forget about what racquet you're playing with and just plaaaay.