PDA

View Full Version : There's a new Swede in town! Spoiler!

Ballmachine
02-22-2004, 12:49 PM
Joachim Johansson defeated Nicolas Kiefer today at the Kroger St. Jude in Memphis 7-6(5) 6-3 to capture his first ATP title. I have been hearing great things about this kid, and I guess his first title win will sustain the buzz about his game. I can't wait to get a look at this guy play, but who knows when that will happen. I guess if he does well at Indian Wells, or if he plays Roddick or Agassi, ESPN will have no choice but to put him on tv. Either way, I will be watching as always.

peter
02-22-2004, 01:00 PM
He plays really powerful tennis - and not only powerful serves but also
his forehands and backhands. The only problem/question is
how long he'll last until he will start developing problems with his
body - like most of the other hard-hitters do eventually...

I can't really make up my mind if I like his game or not. On one hand
he plays like _I_ would like to play personally (but only can dream of),
and it's great to have a winning Swede again. On the other hand it gets kind of boring watching ace after ace, and all these short balls... (Same problem I have with Roddick btw).

@wright
02-22-2004, 01:27 PM
I just want to know how Keifer tiptoed through that draw!

Shaolin
02-22-2004, 02:12 PM
Seriously! Kiefer hasnt even existed for like 2-3 years now and suddenly just pops up and makes a big final. Good for him I guess, although Im not a big fan. BTW, have you ever seen Kiefer and Colin Farrell in the same room? hmmm.....

Peter--Linkoping, Sweden isnt that the hometown of Thomas Johansson or another Swedish player?

peter
02-22-2004, 02:44 PM
Shaolin,

You are right that Thomas Johansson comes from Linköping. Never
played him though :-)

@wright
02-22-2004, 03:15 PM
Do you know where he lives? That must be pretty cool coming from the same town as a slam winner.

Steve F.
02-22-2004, 03:49 PM
Glad to see Sweden back in the mix, let's hope he stays there. Can anybody fill in the blanks on how Johansson plays? Haven't had a chance to see, but by the posts sounds like a baseliner...( 2 hand bh? 1 hand)? I read that he's maybe 6'5", bangs aces but ended the final with a drop shot -- sounds like he has some touch. Age? Best surface? As a guy that big, I can only think of Todd Martin, Krajcek or Karlovic...

Max G.
02-22-2004, 04:27 PM
One-handed backhand. Powerful groundstrokes, REALLY good serve. Don't know about his volleys, they seem to be pretty competent - he did fine at doubles with Bjorkman.

PCMD might now, he was a ballkid at San Jose, I think, saw Joachim play. There was a post about this on the old TW somewhere.

Nosoupforyou
02-22-2004, 04:29 PM
He has a huge forehand massive serve, i think he is 6'5 or 6 and has a good one hander, if i recall correctly he was a pretty good volleyer though, i don't know what i would call him though

irishbanger
02-22-2004, 05:25 PM
He's the big server on the Bolletieri Ballistic Serve video.

PureCarlosMoyaDrive
02-22-2004, 05:46 PM
Ok, watched the match today. Wasn't as high quality play from Johannson as the last time I saw him play or heard about him playing, but still awesome. He has a huge serve since he's 6'6", he goes for big seconds a lot, and even his normal second is like 110 practically. His forehand is deep and flat, rips the crap out of it. Backhand is one-hander, can hit pretty good slice, cna rip the one-hander. Saw him hit this one backhand down the line, it was insane how hard he hit it. When I saw him play in San Jose his backhand was awesome with angle and taking it early, today not so good. His serve wasn't as good today, but it was still quite good. He rips that forehand so hard though, it's scary. Only volley I saw him hit was a nice touch drop volley to win it, that looked pretty. In San Jose he just hit a swinging volley for a winner, I liked that a lot. This guy will be big this year.

BreakPoint
02-22-2004, 06:54 PM
As I mentioned in a post on the old message board last week, after seeing Johansson play Blake and then Roddick at the Siebel, I said to watch out for this guy, that you heard it here first, Joachim Johansson will be the next big thing in men's tennis.

He simply has the biggest game I have ever witnessed. Huge, consistent first and second serves, massive forehand, ripping one-handed backhand, and decent volleys. His style of play is: put in a big serve and then rip the weak return for a winner into the corner. He can do this either on his forehand or backhand side. On the return games, if he can get his racquet on it, he'll just rip the return very, very hard. He can do this because he knows he'll have no problems holding his own serve so he can take a lot of chances on his return game. He doesn't give his opponents a chance to breathe, as mentioned by Blake after his 2nd consecutive loss to Johansson this week.

This guy's the whole package: A serve bigger than Sampras', a forehand bigger than Roddick's, Federer's or Blake's or just about anyone you can think of, a backhand like Guga's or Srichaphan's or bigger. BTW, he's 6'6" and is only 21 years old, so he's got quite a future ahead of him.

BTW, at the Kroger, Enqvist commented during a post match interview that he's amazed that Johansson can hit the ball so hard with a Head Presitge (he uses an i.prestige mid or paintjob of), since that racquet is so thin and has such a small head. He said he's scared to imagine how hard he could hit the balll with a large headed, widebody racquet. Yikes!!! :shock:

Rabbit
02-22-2004, 07:19 PM
IMO, Johansson was the new, improved, Swedish version of the Scud. He knocks the cover off the ball on both serves, and groundies as well. The commentators (Barry McKay and Donald Dell) made reference to the fact that he only has one speed and if he were to mix up some changes of pace on his groundies, he would probably improve his game.

I agree that at 6'6", the guy's body isn't going to hold up for the long run. He's definetly a power player though. Not that enjoyable to watch (again IMO), but he is definetly impressive.

@wright
02-22-2004, 07:44 PM
What I want to know is if he has a nicer game to watch than pencild1ck, I mean Roddick.

BreakPoint
02-22-2004, 08:16 PM
Johansson's game is immensely more enjoyable to watch than Roddick's. Johansson's game has some similarities to Srichaphan's and Philippoussiss', in that these guys have no fear and will go for broke on most of their shots. They also all have big groundstrokes, including powerful and accurate one-handed backhands. As a practitioner of the one-handed backhand, I just love seeing guys rip hard one-handed backhands down the line and crosscourt, something I don't always have the courage (nor ability) to do.

peter
02-23-2004, 12:29 AM
Do you know where he lives? That must be pretty cool coming from the same town as a slam winner.

Thomas Johansson "lives" in Monaco nowadays.(If one can call that living - considering
that he like all the other players are traveling the Earth more or less 100%
of the time.

Actually, I wasn't born, nor raised here - and Linköping is one of the larger
cities of Sweden so I can't really say I'm a "big" fan of Thomas. (I actually
like Jonas Björkman more - I really like his style of tennis)

(Btw, I was grew up in a small town near Tibro - where Robin Söderling comes from :-)

andreh
02-23-2004, 01:04 AM
Tennis made the sport pages in most Swedish newspapers for a change...The biggest win since the days of Edberg it would almost seem. But I find "pim-pim" tremendously boring to watch. I also think one of his major problems is consistancy. If he doesn't kill the ball in two or three strokes he's in big trouble. Way to beat him...keep the point going, he'll overhit himself.

/A

ChiefAce
02-23-2004, 10:39 AM
He had a great week and no doubt played great tennis, but his one handed backhand isn't the smoothest stroke in town and that go for broke style won't get him far outside. A big hitter won an indoor tourney? No way! Outside this guy won't do much if any damage.

python
02-23-2004, 10:45 AM
This board can be a bit reactionary. I'll wait and see how Johansson performs in even a Masters tourney before I proclaim him the next Big Thing.

He's a big hitter, all right. Let's watch and see if he can be an Ivanisevic or Krajicek....or Flipper for that matter.

@wright
02-23-2004, 10:57 AM
Peter, I agree with you about Bjorkman, it was great when he was in the top 10. A real class act and from what I've heard, a very funny and friendly guy in person.

BreakPoint
02-23-2004, 12:39 PM
BTW, I read somewhere that Joachim Johansson is from the same small home town as that Swede that started it all - yup, Bjorn Borg! Now that's quite an incentive to work on your tennis game, although Johansson's game doesn't resemble Borg's at all. Borg's game was about consistancy and keeping the ball in play with those huge topspin groundstrokes and wrist-flicking two-handed backhands, whereas, Johansson's game is about hitting a winner asap with flatter groundstrokes, and one-handed backhands. The article mentioned that the biggest thrill of his young life was hitting with Borg a few years ago.

getbusyliving
12-28-2009, 06:00 PM
It's Robinho SODERLING!