PDA

View Full Version : Round robin format in league matches

OrangePower
06-02-2009, 02:57 PM
The idea of playing league matches in round-robin format (where each doubles pair plays each of the opposing doubles pairs) came up in another thread about stacking. With a round robin format, stacking becomes a non-issue.

I've actually played in a league that does this, so thought I would describe how it works and get input on whether people think this is a good idea or not...

* League is doubles-only, with 6 players (3 pairs) participating in each team match.

* Each pair plays exactly 11 games against each of the opposing team's pairs.

--> E.g., individual match score could be 9-2, 6-5, 11-0, etc.

* This results in:

--> Each pair playing 3 individual matches for a total of 33 games (equivalent to about 3 close sets).

--> A total of 9 individual matches and 99 games played in the team match.

* Matches alternate in terms of who gets to serve first - away team serves first in 5 individual matches, home team starts serving in 4.

* Team match outcome is decided based on total games won - 50 or more games wins the match.

Playing this format was a lot of fun because you get to play against everyone on the other team, every game counts, and things are exciting right until the very end (even if your team is behind after the first two rotations, you can still win by getting convincing wins in the last rotation). And of course, stacking becomes a thing of the past :-)

Cindysphinx
06-02-2009, 04:24 PM
What do you do if the match cannot be completed in the 90-minute or 2-hour window?

Also, it would be weird not to have results go into TennisLink. I play way more fall and winter combo matches than spring adult matches . . . .

OrangePower
06-02-2009, 05:05 PM
What do you do if the match cannot be completed in the 90-minute or 2-hour window?

Also, it would be weird not to have results go into TennisLink. I play way more fall and winter combo matches than spring adult matches . . . .

Actually, from a time-control point of view, this format proved more predictable than USTA Adult, because you know that each pair needs to play exactly 33 games. True, some games are longer than others, but still there is less variation than when a match can be 6-0 6-0, or 7-6 6-7 and a 3rd set match tiebreak.

On the unlikely event of time running out, the last rotation would be cut short (say only 7 games instead of 11).

Of course this was not a USTA league, but if the USTA were to adopt such a format there's nothing preventing scores from being recorded in exactly the same way in TennisLink.

cak
06-02-2009, 05:11 PM
Our close three set matches tend to run 2 and a half to 3 hours. And those are close, but seldom hit 33 games. I'd guess you'd need at least a 3 hour window unless you are playing no-ad.

LuckyR
06-02-2009, 05:13 PM
My one comment would be that by playing 11 games one player serves less than everyone else.

OrangePower
06-02-2009, 09:33 PM
Our close three set matches tend to run 2 and a half to 3 hours. And those are close, but seldom hit 33 games. I'd guess you'd need at least a 3 hour window unless you are playing no-ad.

You got it exactly right - 3 hour allocation. It was very rare that we would go over that though.

cak
06-03-2009, 06:36 AM
You got it exactly right - 3 hour allocation. It was very rare that we would go over that though.

Yeah, in a league that required 3 hour matches most public facilities would have to cut the number of teams playing in half. Ninety minute windows are rare (it's normally three courts, three hours for a five line match.) Two hours windows are pretty common. We are one of the few clubs in the area that have 3 hour windows, so our players can opt for a full third set.

How many sections don't have court time issues?